Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#421 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:53 PM

I appreciate your perspective Tiste, as someone who hasn’t read the books. It’s interesting to see the threads and thoughts non readers are picking up and having. I can’t Unknow what I know.

Also where is our resident wot fanatic?

This post has been edited by Cause: 14 December 2021 - 02:54 PM

#422 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 December 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostCause, on 14 December 2021 - 02:53 PM, said:

I appreciate your perspective Tiste, as someone who hasn't read the books. It's interesting to see the threads and thoughts non readers are picking up and having. I can't Unknow what I know.

What you know... about the books.

The tv series is not the books. Different world, different plot. How different they're willing to be for the sake of tv is the question. I imagine many book readers would welcome not knowing what's coming---what else will change, how what remains will be transformed... if the series continues to be as successful as it seems to have been so far, the % of viewers who would throw a fit about major changes will probably be negligible. Especially relative to the greater number retained / acquired by making changes.

#423 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 December 2021 - 04:28 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 14 December 2021 - 03:50 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 14 December 2021 - 02:53 PM, said:

I appreciate your perspective Tiste, as someone who hasn't read the books. It's interesting to see the threads and thoughts non readers are picking up and having. I can't Unknow what I know.

What you know... about the books.

The tv series is not the books. Different world, different plot. How different they're willing to be for the sake of tv is the question. I imagine many book readers would welcome not knowing what's coming---what else will change, how what remains will be transformed... if the series continues to be as successful as it seems to have been so far, the % of viewers who would throw a fit about major changes will probably be negligible. Especially relative to the greater number retained / acquired by making changes.

I'm a book reader who is firmly in this category. I'm enjoying not knowing what's going to happen, or being sure who is being hinted at for future introduction. And also enjoying Mr Not a Blacksmith's non-reader perspective on things at the same time.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#424 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:32 PM

I think one character in Particular will be set up from the beginning as being more important. More screen time, more importance. In genera I think the balancing of screen time will be better

That said I think one character will remain as they were

#425 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:40 PM

That could be interesting. I'm starting to think one character will rule them all, one character will find them, and one character will bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#426 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:59 PM

This cycles me back to the minor characters not being seen yet, I'd say a lot will be chopped (no loss in the main) I would also say a few of the majors we haven't seen yet could go to remove some of Jordans rampant wish fulfillment as well

#427 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:21 PM

View Postworry, on 14 December 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

That could be interesting. I'm starting to think one character will rule them all, one character will find them, and one character will bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Were they all deceived, for another character was made?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#428 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 December 2021 - 06:54 AM

I realise there's a lot of complaining from me here, it feels a little at odds with the rest of you, but wouldn't it have been better if they'd spent a little more time in Tar Valon? It's a great place to give the characters (and by extension the viewers) time to explore the world. A city is perfect to introduce cultures, politics, people and all that stuff. Not to mention giving them a little room to grow their characters and their relationship to each other.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#429 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:05 AM

I agree, but I had previously thought it was a 10 ep season. Learning it's only 8, I think that content has inevitably gotta get budgeted across seasons. For now everyone is just getting 1 or 2 bullet points. Or maybe Loial will become an exposition machine instead.

#430 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:58 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 December 2021 - 04:21 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 14 December 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

Were they all deceived, for another character was made?

Into which was poured cruely, malice and will to dominate all life?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#431 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:59 PM

So I've just started episode 7 and that fight between the pregnant lady and all those soldiers was DOPE!

I did ask my heavily pregnant wife if that woman could do all that, why can't she?

Went down well tbh.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#432 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:03 PM

Ep 7 was terrific! For me, the series has great combination of atmosphere, lore, great characters. Actress playing Moiraine is acting very well, imo. Loved the scenes with the seer. I also realized that I like it, not havibg read the books, not knowing what is coming next.

#433 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:31 PM

I really enjoyed that episode.
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#434 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:17 PM

I enjoyed the episode and am excited for the finale. Not sure I love how evertything was handled but it’s good enough.

I’m sad they prophecies never got any mention. I always thought Jordan nailed them. They are clever, cryptic and obvious at the same time but also drive home the dread and fear of the dragon which I think hasnt got enough attention
Spoiler

Thoughts on the episode

Spoiler

#435 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:53 AM

That opening scene was the best thing in the season so far. Didn't love but also didn't mind the teen soapy stuff getting all packed in here, as it at least made sense right after encountering Machin Shin. At least by conventional plotting standards, where a fair warning of "hey, maybe don't believe this evil entity that whispers manipulative things to you" inevitably gets ignored.

Book stuff:
Spoiler

#436 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 December 2021 - 05:08 AM

Episode 7: The less 'realistic' sets were on the shitty side and detracted a bit. Would be annoyed if Malazan got that treatment (especially for 10 million per episode...).

Acting was almost really good, but went slightly off and overboard again. Probably the director's fault, trying to milk facial twitches a little too much (or not organically enough...).

Dialogue was mostly meh but the actors overcame it.

Plot and pacing were okay, which is to say a vast improvement over what little I remember of the books.

Lore was mildly interesting.

Did like the opening too.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 December 2021 - 05:09 AM

#437 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:24 AM

I loved episode 7 overall.

One quibble
Spoiler

Loved the reveal with TDR, thought it was very well done.

Mr Not a Blacksmith has now watched up to Episode 3, and his current theory on TDR is

Spoiler

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#438 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 December 2021 - 09:31 AM

Caught up last night.

Happy enough with how things are done. Mins done quite well

Agree a bit if worry, having the sexy time happen takes a lot of the crappy Jordan subtext out.

The Aiel at the start, great fight scene

#439 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 December 2021 - 08:22 AM

Hoping to get a few of the episodes knocked down over this Christmas/New Year's period. Episode 1 in the books.

A solid start. Not without its issues for sure, least of which were some of the cgi sfx. Some of it was rather below par, but it didn't dominate, so I can live with it. The practical creature makeup for the Trollocs is really cool, but there were some action sequences in quick shots where you could see the 'man wearing a suit' effect quite clearly (which is not out of the ordinary for a show like this, so again, not a big deal). One thing that was kind of annoyingly obvious was some of the tells the episode didn't even attempt to be clever about, ex. anytime a scene with Moiraine and Lan discussing the dragon reborn, it follows with a scene of a particular individual. The location shots were stunning. They really have hit it out of the park in that regard. Aspects of episode 1 were quite a departure from the book, but I like the update and changes. They have to go for a wider audience, not some myopic nerd demographic who gatekeep the series and think it should follow the book(s) to a tee. Overall I enjoyed it and am looking forward to episode 2. Roll on WoT.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 22 December 2021 - 08:27 AM

#440 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 December 2021 - 02:30 AM

Ep 8

What an absolute train wreck clusterfuck curved to the left piece of dog shit of a finale that turned into. I was blown away how far and twisted this became from the source. I cut it massive slack up to the start of this utter fart stink of an ender but I just don’t know if I’m cool pressing on after this. Hell I ain’t even going to tag anything just yet. Maybe later I ll be less grumpy and can.

Kudos I guess if ya dig that waste of time.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users