Malazan Empire: Best Sword/Weapon fighter - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Sword/Weapon fighter

Poll: Best Sword/Weapon fighter (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the best sword/other weapon fighter in the Malazan world?

1. Dassem Ultor (15 votes [30.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.61%

2. Karsa Orlong (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

3. Icarium (5 votes [10.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

4. Trull Sengar (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

5. Anomander Rake (19 votes [38.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.78%

6. Cotillion (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

7. Apsalar (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

8. Whiskeyjack (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Brys Beddict (5 votes [10.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

10. Kalam Mekhar (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Onos T'oolan (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostNefaraisBredd, on 24 September 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Touche! Well said. When did Daszem defeat Kallor? I do not remember reading that. Rake never moved against him either in spite of many implied threats. Kallor sneered at many gods before Dassem showed up. Also, didnt Rake send his best man to slow Kallor down because he knew that Kallor was a rank mofo who was the most likely to be ABLE to actually take advantage of the situation? They dropped a GOD on him for eff sakes!! 3 elder Azathanai could only curse him, not defeat him. Just saying man.

Rake sent Spinnock to stop him as he knew he himself would be too busy. He was more concerned that Kallor may reach Dragnipur when Rake was dead/injured.

The Elder Gods cursed him as they wanted him to suffer.

#22 User is offline   Jaime Lannister 

• Recruit

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

Touche! Well said. When did Daszem defeat Kallor? I do not remember reading that. Rake never moved against him either in spite of many implied threats. Kallor sneered at many gods before Dassem showed up. Also, didnt Rake send his best man to slow Kallor down because he knew that Kallor was a rank mofo who was the most likely to be ABLE to actually take advantage of the situation? They dropped a GOD on him for eff sakes!! 3 elder Azathanai could only curse him, not defeat him. Just saying man.

Not sure if you've read RotCG, so I'll place their encounter in spoilers:
Spoiler

Another passage in the books that suggests Kallor isn't quite on the top rung comes from Brood. When Brood enumerates some individuals he seems to consider Kallor's superior, Kallor appears to (tacitly) agree.
Spoiler

#23 User is offline   Kalam&Quick 

• Recruit

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

Personaly Id Say Rake > Dassem/segulah First > Silchas/Karsa > Trull/Brys/tool/Whiskeyjack/Cotolllion/apsalara/Kallor
The only person i feel that wasn't mentioned that could do with some consideration is Brood.
Based off his actions it Seems like he believes he is atlas somewhat on par with Rake and He definitely believes he is above Kallor.
Even though we really have never had a true example of What he can do, and the fact that he weilds a hammer instead of a traditional "Sword" I'm sure he is able to keep his own With some of the big baddies out there.
“Hello, Capustan. The Bridgeburners have arrived.”

#24 User is offline   Jaime Lannister 

• Recruit

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

Cotillion is an interesting one. While he doesn't have much feats, that he was prepared to set himself against an enraged Icarium suggests he's on a similar level (since he must have believed his victory plausible enough to attempt it). That he didn't immediately do so and instead regarded himself as a last resort, however, also means his chances were less than certain.

#25 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

View PostJaime Lannister, on 29 September 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

Cotillion is an interesting one. While he doesn't have much feats, that he was prepared to set himself against an enraged Icarium suggests he's on a similar level (since he must have believed his victory plausible enough to attempt it). That he didn't immediately do so and instead regarded himself as a last resort, however, also means his chances were less than certain.

My impression was Cotillion was willing to put himself into the fray to get shadowthrone enough time to intervene. I don't think he ever though he stood a serious chance, but then again Cotillion has always been noble and as Dancer his job was to put his life on the line, so he may have contined in that vein

#26 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostKalam&Quick, on 29 September 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

Personaly Id Say Rake > Dassem/segulah First > Silchas/Karsa > Trull/Brys/tool/Whiskeyjack/Cotolllion/apsalara/Kallor
The only person i feel that wasn't mentioned that could do with some consideration is Brood.
Based off his actions it Seems like he believes he is atlas somewhat on par with Rake and He definitely believes he is above Kallor.
Even though we really have never had a true example of What he can do, and the fact that he weilds a hammer instead of a traditional "Sword" I'm sure he is able to keep his own With some of the big baddies out there.

Kallor is below everyone on that list, easily. I think he would be the next tier down. Whiskeyjack would have killed him, if not for his bad let. Cotiliion and Apslara would laugh at him, quite frankly. Trull, Brys and Tool probably belong on a tier between Karsas and Whiskeyjacks. as they are far superior to the others IMO
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 01 October 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

Kallor is below everyone on that list, easily. I think he would be the next tier down. Whiskeyjack would have killed him, if not for his bad let. Cotiliion and Apslara would laugh at him, quite frankly. Trull, Brys and Tool probably belong on a tier between Karsas and Whiskeyjacks. as they are far superior to the others IMO

Whiskeyjack couldn't have killed Kallor.

In RotCG Traveller stabs Kallor to the heart but he doesn't die. He is severely injured but he doesn't die. He is way harder to kill than that. This has nothing to do with his prowess as a fighter. He is durable, tough and tenacious. Part of his long life curse I think.

#28 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

Skill-wise, gotta go with Rake after what he did in TtH.

Otherwise, probably Dassem.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#29 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Trulls fight with Silchas actually ended up with Silchas getting uncoscious, ofcourse it wouldnt prob happen if Seren didnt help, but it was very very close until Trulls spear broke and I believe he would have fair chance to win even without help if he had better spear. His spear was still just regular Edur spear while Silchas had fucking blue style forged Letherii steel swords with names(Sarat Wept and Glory Goat)! And even when Silchas fell down, Trull was still handicapped because he was down too plus he had one fo those swords stuck in his leg and after a while he defeated him.

So imho Trull is same tier as Silchas.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#30 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

Really? All the MBotF lore represented here and none of you come even close let alone get it right?? Seriously?

"Allow us to introduce ourselves..." - Bottle, Reaper's Gale

• Fiddler
  • Hedge
  • Crump

"Isn't that just like a wop? Brings a knife to a gun fight." - Malone, The Untouchables
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#31 User is offline   Jaime Lannister 

• Recruit

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

View PostCharlie Nom, on 01 October 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

Trulls fight with Silchas actually ended up with Silchas getting uncoscious, ofcourse it wouldnt prob happen if Seren didnt help, but it was very very close until Trulls spear broke and I believe he would have fair chance to win even without help if he had better spear. His spear was still just regular Edur spear while Silchas had fucking blue style forged Letherii steel swords with names(Sarat Wept and Glory Goat)! And even when Silchas fell down, Trull was still handicapped because he was down too plus he had one fo those swords stuck in his leg and after a while he defeated him.

Trrull, in his fury, attacked a unwary Silchas who still speaking to him mid-sentence -- cutting the base of his throat and puncturing his shoulder muscle. Even so, Silchas was able to draw both his blades before another one of Trull's hits could land, instantly parry all of the incoming strikes and send Trull reeling, handily. Trull's shaft being broken was a consequence of Trull being unable to fend off Silchas's strikes -- he was forced from using the tip offensively, to using the shaft to vainly stave off Silchas's blades. I don't know how much his swords accounted for that, but I don't think it'd be enough to close such a vast gap. I mean, he wilted in a matter of seconds before someone who he delivered a sneak attack on, and had not even drawn his weapons yet.

Given Trull's superior performance against an enraged Icarium, that is arguably one of the most impressive skill feats in the entire series.

This post has been edited by Jaime Lannister: 01 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

#32 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:38 AM

View PostJaime Lannister, on 01 October 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

Trrull, in his fury, attacked a unwary Silchas who still speaking to him mid-sentence -- cutting the base of his throat and puncturing his shoulder muscle. Even so, Silchas was able to draw both his blades before another one of Trull's hits could land, instantly parry all of the incoming strikes and send Trull reeling, handily. Trull's shaft being broken was a consequence of Trull being unable to fend off Silchas's strikes -- he was forced from using the tip offensively, to using the shaft to vainly stave off Silchas's blades. I don't know how much his swords accounted for that, but I don't think it'd be enough to close such a vast gap. I mean, he wilted in a matter of seconds before someone who he delivered a sneak attack on, and had not even drawn his weapons yet.

Given Trull's superior performance against an enraged Icarium, that is arguably one of the most impressive skill feats in the entire series.

Just note for context that Silchas is a 100000 year+ old Eleint Soletaken Ascendant, a veteran of the vicious Tiste civil wars. his inherent strength, speed and experience dwarfs Trulls. But if Trulls spear had not broken, I think he would have found a way to get in a few offensive strikes of his own.

#33 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:53 AM

Trull sucks.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#34 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:06 AM

Mortals hold certain power beyond Ascendants in this series and I believe that if Whiskeyjack had managed to land his counter, it would have been fatal. Just because Kallor would not have died, doesn't mean hes a better fighter. If he loses in his attack, and is dealt what should be a fatal blow, that means hes a worse sword fighter. Regardless of if he can cheat with the curse. I know that Dassem impaled him, was it actually through his heart? I can't remember. Although there was no blood, suggesting the heart has no bearing anyway lol. Don't forget Dassem is always being watched by some god or another, so a nudge here, an intervention there. Also Kallor was crying behind the CG most of the time so that too has an impact on his survival. I just don't like Kallor. Prick needs to die, fully. Hopefully by the hands of the Bridge Burners, who owe him for WJ
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#35 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostJaime Lannister, on 01 October 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

Well, I admit that Silchas was unwary and speaking to him, but as Andorion mentioned hes ascendant so the wounds didnt have that big impact on him. Also he drew his swords before Fear tried o stab him, which started Trulls attack so the swords were out even while 1st Trulls attack.

This post has been edited by Charlie Nom: 02 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#36 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

You people have it all wrong obviously the best sword/weapon fighter is Nefarrias Bredd. I mean come on he could slay all of these other fighters in five second flat.
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#37 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

Dassem beat him fairly easily in RotCG. Kallor ran away after not being very impressive.

Also the Elder Gods wanted Kallor to live a life of frustration, failure, and suffering. They could have killed him, but decided that death was too good for him.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 28 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#38 User is offline   Inkdaub 

• Recruit

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

I chose Dassem Ultor.

Onos T'oolan was a reasonably close second but Ultor wins this one I think. I tried to ignore everything beyond pure skill at arms, which is impossible to do really whose skill and power are so wrapped up together in their identity. Rake was a tough call for me as he is obviously extremely competent and is also extremely old and has had all those years to refine and improve his skillset. That's one point in Kallor's favor, I think. As a warrior and leader of men he was likely very good with a blade even before the curse effectively immortalized him. Still, that point can go to many of the people in this poll and Kallor is outclassed by all of them. Rake would prove a contender in the poll without his other abilities, while Kallor and Icarium would definitely not.

Onos T'oolan being beaten by Mok always bothered me and I don't really know why. I understand who, and more importantly what, the Seguleh are as far as their skill with weapons goes. I just feel the First Sword of the T'Lan Imass would rank as well among them as would anyone else. That doesn't diminish their greatness at all...Tool is a rare individual much like Ultor and would have fared as well. In my mind at least. Mok was Third and can drop just about any opponent he comes into contact with so maybe I'm selling him short. Tool is one of my favorite characters if not my favorite so I could be a bit of homer in this case.

#39 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostInkdaub, on 19 February 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

I chose Dassem Ultor.

Onos T'oolan was a reasonably close second but Ultor wins this one I think. I tried to ignore everything beyond pure skill at arms, which is impossible to do really whose skill and power are so wrapped up together in their identity. Rake was a tough call for me as he is obviously extremely competent and is also extremely old and has had all those years to refine and improve his skillset. That's one point in Kallor's favor, I think. As a warrior and leader of men he was likely very good with a blade even before the curse effectively immortalized him. Still, that point can go to many of the people in this poll and Kallor is outclassed by all of them. Rake would prove a contender in the poll without his other abilities, while Kallor and Icarium would definitely not.

Onos T'oolan being beaten by Mok always bothered me and I don't really know why. I understand who, and more importantly what, the Seguleh are as far as their skill with weapons goes. I just feel the First Sword of the T'Lan Imass would rank as well among them as would anyone else. That doesn't diminish their greatness at all...Tool is a rare individual much like Ultor and would have fared as well. In my mind at least. Mok was Third and can drop just about any opponent he comes into contact with so maybe I'm selling him short. Tool is one of my favorite characters if not my favorite so I could be a bit of homer in this case.

From what I gather, rankings among the Seguleh that high up are decided by things like tiny imperfections in attacks and parries and so forth. So the first few Seguleh are all quite close in ability (except for the First, which is bestowed rather than taken).
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users