• Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:28 PM

Posted Image

That is true:

https://lawandcrime....ts-a-war-crime/

#742 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:30 PM

Here's a thread on twitter about the police responding to protest about police brutality with.....police brutality. It started out as ten videos, but it's grown to hundreds...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 June 2020 - 02:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#743 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:12 PM

I posted that way upthread. Greg is the guy who took on the Vic Mignogna stans in the Threadnought when we were getting harassed by them and their fake lawyers. That thread started almost exactly one year ago. It’s still going.

You can trust that Greg will see this through until the very end and that thread will be the most comprehensive collection on police brutality in 2020. He’s probably got someone downloading every video, too.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#744 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:23 PM

View PostTerez, on 05 June 2020 - 03:12 PM, said:

I posted that way upthread. Greg is the guy who took on the Vic Mignogna stans in the Threadnought when we were getting harassed by them and their fake lawyers. That thread started almost exactly one year ago. It’s still going.

You can trust that Greg will see this through until the very end and that thread will be the most comprehensive collection on police brutality in 2020. He’s probably got someone downloading every video, too.

Sorry Terez, I missed your post with the link. My bad.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#745 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:37 PM

No worries. Just wanted to take the opportunity to talk about Greg again so maybe people won’t forget about his thread and move on to the next thing. That thread is going to be a priceless resource.

Greg really is something else. He is a defense lawyer and a Never Trump Republican who ran for office once in North Carolina. He voted for Elizabeth Warren in the primary and says he won’t vote for another Republican until Trump is gone. After Vic Mignogna got his ass smoked in court (appeal ongoing), and the action on the Threadnought died down, Greg took on the Sons of Confederate Veterans in NC and their extortion of the NC university system over a Confederate monument that had been taken down (“Silent Sam”). Now this. He is a very unique breed of Social Justice Warrior, and I have to wonder what his new followers are going to think when the one-year anniversary of the Threadnought comes around on the 6th and people realize how much time he has spent insulting angry incel weebs. He even got licensed to practice law in Texas, just to troll them.

There it is.

#746 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:38 PM

I'm trying to get National Lawyers Guild legal observer training done today so I can do work in my free time to help as more than a body in the streets.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 05 June 2020 - 03:38 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#747 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

I have been thinking about going to Chicago but it is complicated. For one, if I get COVID, I will die. I am sure of it. That alone will probably keep me home. I might get it anyway, and then I will regret not going, but every day is precious.

There it is.

#748 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostTerez, on 05 June 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

I have been thinking about going to Chicago but it is complicated. For one, if I get COVID, I will die. I am sure of it. That alone will probably keep me home. I might get it anyway, and then I will regret not going, but every day is precious.

There is other work that can be done. You do not have to risk your life. There's writing to elected representatives to present viewpoints, there's putting pressure on local budget meetings to direct funding towards social workers, housing etc instead of police. LA has a police budget that's 50+% of their entire budget. That's unsustainable and many towns are approaching that.

I am especially vulnerable to COVID-19 due to pulmonary embolisms that partially collapsed my lung in 2013. I have to be more careful about what I do in the streets. But I can watch and do this much.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#749 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

Unfortunately there is not a lot I can do locally, either. I live in the middle of corn country. Everyone for miles is white and very, very Republican. I don't know them and they don't know me. My roommate has been here longer and knows more people, but even she doesn't know many people around here. What I have been doing with my time is the same thing I always do whenever racist violence is in the news. I'm on Mississippi social media trying to educate people about our past. Mississippi is where I'm from. That's where I know people and have the best chance of actually influencing people.

PS: By the way, Greg is on Facebook too, and he sometimes goes into more detail there.

https://www.facebook...107379471302269

This post has been edited by Terez: 05 June 2020 - 04:14 PM

There it is.

#750 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

You should make anti-fascist crop circles. That'll mess them up good.

#751 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:48 PM

I think my town has less than 10 cops total but I bet if I did that, one of them would be on my ass in a hurry.

How crazy is it that cops are literally asking protestors if they are anti-fascist, and that "yes" is the wrong answer?

There it is.

#752 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

I heard the FBI is asking for people to send videos of people causing violence and damage during the protests...and people are sending them all the videos of police brutality. I'm not sure that's what they expected...but it works.

#753 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

The way the FBI's initial request was worded, I think they probably were expecting police violence to be submitted. Like, they reminded everyone in the tweet that peaceful protests are protected by the First Amendment. That's not an admonition to looters and rioters, who cannot violate the First Amendment because they do not represent the government. That's an admonition to the police who are attacking peaceful protestors.

There it is.

#754 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

View PostTerez, on 05 June 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

The way the FBI's initial request was worded, I think they probably were expecting police violence to be submitted. Like, they reminded everyone in the tweet that peaceful protests are protected by the First Amendment. That's not an admonition to looters and rioters, who cannot violate the First Amendment because they do not represent the government. That's an admonition to the police who are attacking peaceful protestors.

Good catch. I think you’re right. I’d not seen the fbi release.

#755 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:50 PM

Also, the FBI reported (voluntarily, as far as I can tell) that they had no evidence that Antifa was involved in any rioting or looting over last weekend's protests, contrary to what Trump and Barr were trying to claim. I don't know how much influence Barr has over the FBI but my suspicion is that they're mostly doing things by the book despite his leadership, and Barr himself probably won't get truly aggressive about flouting norms and procedures (though he has done quite a bit of that already) until after Trump wins reelection. But we will see. It's going to be very difficult for Trump and Barr to contain themselves through this unrest. If this was happening following a reelection victory, it would be much, much worse. Dictators often wait until they have been reelected to go full bore on dismantling democracy because it gives them a veneer of legitimacy.

https://www.business...protests-2020-6

There it is.

#756 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:05 AM

By the way, Greg Doucette's Twitter thread documenting police misconduct has been converted into a spreadsheet with a handy data visualization map. I've seen articles mentioning it in the NYT, WaPo, TIME, and Slate. TIME did an interview with Greg and the guy who made the spreadsheet.

https://maminian.git.../brutality-map/

There it is.

#757 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:26 PM

It's such a strange time in the UK right now. I just watched a drama about the Windrush Scandal and I think if I was black I might have set fire to something this evening. The whole bollocks about the Colston statue - too right they pulled that down after trying to go through the "proper" route for years. What kind of mad person objects to the removal of a slavers statue? They should have a look at renaming White Ladies Road and Black Boy Hill in Bristol next. One of my FB friends only comment on the whole thing is how disgusting it is because a police horse was scared. I don't know where to start. It's so frustrating that this has happened during coronavirus but white people as a collective are such fucking pricks, I want to start strangling people.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#758 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:15 PM

'Trump is restarting his campaign rallies. The first will be on Juneteenth in Tulsa — the site of the Tulsa race massacre.

[...] Juneteenth, celebrated June 19, is a holiday to celebrate the end of slavery and is commemorated by Black Americans as an independence day.

[...] Trump campaign adviser ⁦Katrina Pierson defended the move.

"As part of the party of Lincoln, Republicans are proud of the history of Juneteenth, which is the anniversary of the last reading of the Emancipation Proclamation," Pierson wrote.

[...] After an "inflammatory" story in the local paper, the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum said, the confrontations started between a group of Black and white men, who confronted each other in front of the courthouse where Rowland was being held. After gunshots were fired, the Black men retreated to Greenwood, before a white mob destroyed and looted the district.

According to Human Rights Watch, more than 1,200 houses and 35 square blocks were destroyed in just one day. By the end of the massacre, Black Wall Street was decimated, and photos showed Black people dead in the street. The Tulsa Historical Society and Museum said "contemporary reports of deaths began at 36" but "historians now believe as many as 300 people may have died."'

https://www.business...MVuZzaMoE42nn_Y

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 June 2020 - 09:16 PM

#759 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:24 PM

'"I can't breathe," Oklahoma man tells police before dying. "I don't care," officer responds.

In the May 20, 2019 footage, released this week by the Oklahoma City Police Department, three officers are seen restraining the man, Derrick Scott, 42, who can be heard asking repeatedly for his medicine and saying that he can't breathe.

"I don't care," one of the officers, Jarred Tipton, can be heard replying at one point. [...]

Scott, who appears unresponsive several minutes into the footage, was later pronounced dead at a local hospital. An autopsy obtained by NBC News lists his cause of death as a collapsed lung.'

https://news.yahoo.c...-005527535.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

#760 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:05 PM

https://www.cnn.com/...ndys/index.html

This happened yesterday. Seems a bit premature to call for the officer to be fired or for the chief of police to resign?

Not sure how an officer loses his taser, not clear from the article if he had back up with him, not sure if using his gun was his only option but I am not getting racist overly aggressive looking to find an excuse to kill story either.

Share this topic:

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users