• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars: Rebels / Resistance

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:43 AM

It seems at least a few of us are watching this show, and instead of dominating the TV thread, I thought we could give it one of its own.

Am now caught up to episode 6, EMPIRE DAY, and I'm still loving the show.

EMPIRE DAY gives us a tidbit about Ezra's past in the form of a Rhodian friend of his parents named Tseebo.

As usual great action contined within. I loved the action in TCW, but there is something that just screams Classic Star Wars about how REBELS is shot.

Anyways, we can share our thoughts about Season 1 in this thread as it airs.

NOTE: It was announced the other day that a second season has been ordered.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 10 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 November 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

On Empire Day epi my dvr ended before the show dammit. I heard the Mandolore girl say "he said....." So fuck I didn't get to finish it on those last few seconds!!!

Fear not...
Spoiler

All caught up now and it's been good fun. They actually managed to turn the Inquisitor into a valid baddie, even the spinning lightsaber thingy more or less works.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

First off I'm not one to care about TV violence. I think short of already having some kind of problem TV violence won't make you a killer.

That said I am amazed, for an american TV show how violent this show is. They regularly execute Clone troopers at point blank range with blaster shots to the head etc. Now I know there is no gore but we know there is a human under that armour and we know they are dead. It seems quite a change of pace for TV. Samurai jack could chop anything so long as it was a robot or had green blood but they never showed people dying. The old X-men cartoons and the new avengers shows treat all guns like some kind of stun weapon. This show holds no punches.

We can discuss the moral implications of a slave army of clones lead by Buddhist jedi later.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostCause, on 25 November 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

First off I'm not one to care about TV violence. I think short of already having some kind of problem TV violence won't make you a killer.

That said I am amazed, for an american TV show how violent this show is. They regularly execute Clone troopers at point blank range with blaster shots to the head etc. Now I know there is no gore but we know there is a human under that armour and we know they are dead. It seems quite a change of pace for TV. Samurai jack could chop anything so long as it was a robot or had green blood but they never showed people dying. The old X-men cartoons and the new avengers shows treat all guns like some kind of stun weapon. This show holds no punches.

We can discuss the moral implications of a slave army of clones lead by Buddhist jedi later.

Are you watching THE CLONE WARS or REBELS? Because those aren't clone troopers, they are stormtroopers. Enlisted men in plasteel armor.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

Rebels

I thought Storm troopers were still mostly clones but from several templates with a few recruits mixed in

This post has been edited by Cause: 25 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostCause, on 25 November 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Rebels

I thought Storm troopers were still mostly clones but from several templates with a few recruits mixed in

Pablo Hidalgo (lead story canon guy now at Lucasfilm) has stated flatly that the stormtroopers at the time of REBELS are all enlisted men in plasteel armor. They are not clones.

This does not mean that in the intervening 14-15 years since the end of the Clone Wars that Clones weren't soldiers still...but at this point in the timeline they are all gone.

A part of me feels that this is probably done on purpose, by Palpatine to wipe away the remnants of his Darth Sidious past and hide it from the people of his Empire...lest those people find out just how deep Palpatine's role was in the orchestration of the Clone Wars themselves. The Clones knew, and as a result were very likely to have been VERY expendable.

#7 User is offline   korik 

• Corporal

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

I agree with the point about violence, I have always been surprised by the levels in both the Clone Wars and now Rebels. Both series have never shied away from tackling some pretty tough issues given that despite a large adult audience; it is at the face of it, a cartoon aimed at kids on Cartoon Network/Disney.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:32 AM

All the speculation and tentative notes that point to Fulcrum possibly being Ahsoka.

NOTE: Spoilers for THE CLONE WARS up to the last episode of Season 5.

I especially like the pause and rewind symbols on the crate that Hera grabs. :(

Again, I'm not going to lie, if Ahsoka turns up on REBELS I will be VERY excited. She is just so cool (Ahsoka VS The Madalorian Death Watch)!

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

NEWS: Latest rumour is that Disney and Filoni and Co. have a definitive 3 or 4 season plan for REBELS, after which it will end and they will do a new animated show that will take place in around the time of the sequels (possibly filing in gaps before THE FORCE AWAKENS)?

Sounds good to me. I love TV shows that plan out a specific number of seasons to tell a specific story. Well played Disney.

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

Good to see the Stormtroopers are as useless as ever at trying to shoot someone about 10 paces away.

(I hope the new films return the troops to the status they had for about two minutes at the beginning of ep4 - at least regarded as dangerous and accurate.)

Or, even better, as they were in the game Dark Forces. Not just as the comedy cannon fodder that they became.

Edit.. oh..two armed Stormtroopers have just been defeated by someone using.. fruit.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 01 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

I don't have Disney XD, so I have to wait till the re-air on another Disney channel. (Which is fine, since i didn't want to purchase on iTunes.) Hence, only up to ep 4.

I like it, mainly because unlike TCW, we're not sure where this is going. Plus I like that the heroes don't just fight the Empire, they also have to figure out how to survive day to day.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostTraveller, on 01 December 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

Good to see the Stormtroopers are as useless as ever at trying to shoot someone about 10 paces away.

(I hope the new films return the troops to the status they had for about two minutes at the beginning of ep4 - at least regarded as dangerous and accurate.)

Or, even better, as they were in the game Dark Forces. Not just as the comedy cannon fodder that they became.

Edit.. oh..two armed Stormtroopers have just been defeated by someone using.. fruit.

Hey, it was spacefruit!

#13 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

In the second to last episode there was one bike trooper who proved capable - I think he was defeated by a Force push (which really he can't do a thing about) but the dude was decent. Other than that ...... sigh. My main gripe with the show is the incompetence of the villains.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostGarak, on 01 December 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

In the second to last episode there was one bike trooper who proved capable - I think he was defeated by a Force push (which really he can't do a thing about) but the dude was decent. Other than that ...... sigh. My main gripe with the show is the incompetence of the villains.

I don't think ALL the stormtroopers are incompetent, a lot are indeed defeated only because Kanan uses the Force on them...and the Inquisitor certainly isn't incompetent from what we've seen.

#15 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

I dunno. I'm up to ep 8 now and there is a distinctive disparity in the hit-rate of the troopers compared to the heroes.

The troopers only appear to be a significant threat when they're in sufficient numbers to make the volume of fire compensate for lack of accuracy.

Heck, a bunch of space monsters limited to melee attacks were taken more seriously and dangerous than all the enemies so far.

It's annoying, but to be expected in what is primarily a kid's show, I guess.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#16 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

That having been said, I'm enjoying it. The characters are all fairly balanced and so far are doing well - we're obviously starting to get more backstory on each, too, which is great. Glad the female characters are being done well.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

GATHERING FORCES was a great episode for chaarcter growth with Ezra and Kanan as master and student and some great stuff with the Inquisitor. Jason Isaacs is nailing that role.

SAd that we have to wait now till the new year for the next ep...but at least it sounds like a good one!

#18 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

It just looks more than a little silly that when faced with 5 Stormtroopers with guns, there is the option to.. run away. Amidst the laser shots wildly blazing everywhere but at the target. Kinda takes away any level of threat.

Also, if spacefruit is all it takes to stop a blaster, they should all be wearing improvised fruit armour. (Maybe it bugs me because it reminds me of the debacle with the ewoks!)

Anyway I've only seen a couple of these, I'll try to catch some more though.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Presented without comment. :unsure:

Attached File  w5MHii8.jpg (1.05MB)
Number of downloads: 0

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostSilencer, on 02 December 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

That having been said, I'm enjoying it. The characters are all fairly balanced and so far are doing well - we're obviously starting to get more backstory on each, too, which is great. Glad the female characters are being done well.

Agreed. There are archetypical elements, but overall they're doing a nice job with it. It's still at root a kids' show on Disney, so we get things like Ezra, Chopper and Zeb chasing each other around over pranks and oops a switch gets thrown as a plot device... but it's not overdone and i'm enjoying it.

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 December 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

GATHERING FORCES was a great episode for chaarcter growth with Ezra and Kanan as master and student and some great stuff with the Inquisitor. Jason Isaacs is nailing that role.

SAd that we have to wait now till the new year for the next ep...but at least it sounds like a good one!

Again, the Inquisitor's cred as a baddie is somewhat limited by Disney's inherent limits.. he's just never going to cut anyone's head or even limbs off no matter how fast his lightsaber spins... but within that, he's a nice combo of some of the fun elements from other baddies... Maul's nastiness, Doku's elegance, Vader's implacability.

View PostTraveller, on 02 December 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

It just looks more than a little silly that when faced with 5 Stormtroopers with guns, there is the option to.. run away. Amidst the laser shots wildly blazing everywhere but at the target. Kinda takes away any level of threat.

Also, if spacefruit is all it takes to stop a blaster, they should all be wearing improvised fruit armour. (Maybe it bugs me because it reminds me of the debacle with the ewoks!)

Anyway I've only seen a couple of these, I'll try to catch some more though.

Again... it's Disney.

I hope for a REBOOT type development tho'... that show started out light and fluffy for two seasons, and then shit got dark, nasty and serious. There are enough hints that the potential is there.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users