• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interstellar Spoilers discussion w SPOILERS

#21 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Can we open a spoiler thread for Interstellar, please? I gather some of the twists are meant to be bad but I'd still like to come into them cold and I've already had one surprise spoiled for me...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#22 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

Potential spoilers!!!!!

Can someone pm me on how to create a spoiler tag..unless im totally overlooking it

The fifth space part made no sense..did they say they were going to accelerate around a neutron star, or black hole to uses it's gravity to get to the other singularity . What was this mysterious concept on gravity for black holes and how does it save the human race. He then fall's into the black hole and comes back into reality.

.........Wait is interstellar a prequel for Even Horizon maybe??
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#23 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

Under other styles there is a spoler dropdown.
No one can answer that Nic cause no one knows what happens in a singularity. The movie took upon itself to create these certain events as a what if option. It is not wrong because no one can prove that it is wrong. The answer to the equation of gravity was transmitted by our hero in the singularity by morse code to his daughter by relaying the data gathered by the robot passing through the black hole that also ended up in the singularity, whatever the data was.
No Touchy.

#24 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

I was also kinda confused and didnt really like that the singularity would just spit him out unharmed. And I dont know if a human would be able to survive entering a black hole or at what point he would just be torn apart.
No Touchy.

#25 User is online   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the point where gravity stops all light occurs long after any human would have been torn apart by the gravitational force, an average person would pass out at 5g (5 times the earths gravity), and near a singularity we are talking many times this.

This was my biggest problem with the science in interstellar, the issues of aging would have been handled much more sensibly in terms of lightspeed/near lightspeed travel, rather than the magic gravity zone which ages you, which yes would make sense for an inanimate object, but not for a human.

Survival inside the singularity was also fairly implausible, I rationalised it as the super high tech humans somehow saved him, the gravitational forces would likely have torn apart even the robot.

#26 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 09 November 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the point where gravity stops all light occurs long after any human would have been torn apart by the gravitational force, an average person would pass out at 5g (5 times the earths gravity), and near a singularity we are talking many times this.

This was my biggest problem with the science in interstellar, the issues of aging would have been handled much more sensibly in terms of lightspeed/near lightspeed travel, rather than the magic gravity zone which ages you, which yes would make sense for an inanimate object, but not for a human.

Survival inside the singularity was also fairly implausible, I rationalised it as the super high tech humans somehow saved him, the gravitational forces would likely have torn apart even the robot.

Yea 5-9 G's would make you pass out while ongoing thrust is applied in a rotational force vs a direct force, you get up 30's get when you open your parachute, but its for a moment..I think acceleration/decleration G's are the crux-->

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/John_Stapp

By riding the decelerator sled himself, Stapp demonstrated that a human can withstand at least 45 g (440 m/s²) in the forward position, with adequate harness. This is the highest known acceleration voluntarily encountered by a human. Stapp believed that the tolerance of humans to acceleration had not yet been reached in tests, and is much greater than ordinarily thought possibl

http://www.nbcnews.c...stellar-n243796

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 November 2014 - 04:15 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

Expounding on the 5th Dimension love mumbo jumbo

http://io9.com/stop-...7/+laceydonohue
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

INSTERSTELLAR gave me a hankering to watch Disney's THE BLACK HOLE again, which thanks to Half-Price Books I own on DVD.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#29 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

Do you guys ever sit there and think..wow we pretend we have all this knowledge and have really never been out there.

What if we as a species we are limited by are weaknesses: humanbody, greed, self interest, etc that we never..ever make it out there.

Imagine if instead of dreaming about a thing, we got out there and put that money towards accomplishing a thing.

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

If you're asking if the movie was too optimistic, and whether we're more likely to go extinct than to save ourselves through interstellar travel, then the answer to both is yes. We are doomed and humans can name themselves an endangered species within a few generations in a lovely bit of last minute gallows humor. The branch of possible realities in which people deciding to have children now aren't cursing them to an existence of warfare, starvation, dehydration, and that futile empty feeling of ultimate loss, faded out some time during this last decade. That's why the love-conquers-all hogwash that replaces science halfway through the movie is such a bitter, mean-spirited joke and not just a hilarious Nolan Bros. screenwriting hiccup.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:25 AM

;)

I like magic. And turtles.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#32 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

View Postworry, on 12 November 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

If you're asking if the movie was too optimistic, and whether we're more likely to go extinct than to save ourselves through interstellar travel, then the answer to both is yes. We are doomed and humans can name themselves an endangered species within a few generations in a lovely bit of last minute gallows humor. The branch of possible realities in which people deciding to have children now aren't cursing them to an existence of warfare, starvation, dehydration, and that futile empty feeling of ultimate loss, faded out some time during this last decade. That's why the love-conquers-all hogwash that replaces science halfway through the movie is such a bitter, mean-spirited joke and not just a hilarious Nolan Bros. screenwriting hiccup.

But the Singularity will save us!
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#33 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

Loved the film...

Any one notice when explaining about wormholes - they ripped it from Event Horizon and copied it exactly how it was explained in there.

The folding of time and space using the paper and pencil to demonstrate it.

edit

Good interview

http://uk.ign.com/ar...tellar-spoilers

This post has been edited by champ: 12 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#34 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

So yeah, went and watched it with ze gf on saturday evening.

First, something I didn't notice myself and I'm ashamed of it
Spoiler

Now, moving on...

The first half of the film I was elated. All the stunning visuals (even silently going past Saturn - that was just so magnificent), with the super tidal wave planet and all, the black hole, great stuff, brilliant stuff. I absolutely endorsed what at that point seemed to be the film's message - we need to look outwards and find a new home or we're dead. The robots were absolutely awesome in every inch and second of the entire film.
Then it kinda started going downhill.
Ice planet, takes about 2 minutes to realize Matt Damon is full of shit. The whole storyline on that planet was completely useless, and the only excuse for it I can find is to have an excuse to do the spinning docking scene, which was FUCKING AWESOME (aaand for our next trick.... :)). I was still hopeful for the film at that point - they were even going to "gravity slingshot" the black hole, which meant maybe there will be some interesting light-bending visuals or something and......
The film took a nose dive.
The whole sequence within the tesseract was just embarrassing to watch. Hell, the even the whole concept makes me cringe. This is where I realized this isn't a brave, interesting and involved space exploration movie. Instead, it's a sappy drama about how love knows no bounds. I absolutely hated how the concept of alien worlds and mass exodus and colonization was completely ditched at that point to focus on the father-daughter relation.

Overall, I give it a solid 7 Rusts In Space out of 10. It's a pity because the film was gunning for a full 10 for the first 90 minutes.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#35 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

That's pretty much exactly how I felt, though I think the ice planet section had the seed of a good idea that was entirely botched as:

As far as the spoiler thing, I believe it was a matter of fuel conservation rather than a capability oversight.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#36 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it but the overarching storyline was laaaaaaame. I wonder at what point the Nolan's were sat there and said "Yeah, love, that's the thing that will underpin this sci-fi epic". I don't get how anyone with any sense working on the film thought that would work. I read an interview where Christopher Nolan claimed they were going for E.T. scale family drama in the vein of old school family movies where they didn't have to pitch it low just to qualify as a family blockbuster. I'm wondering if the love part was there to drag it down to kid levels.....or patronisingly to mum levels.....

Similar to my arguments to why I hated Prometheus. The lack of planning or foresight on these supposedly scientific missions annoy me no end. I can kind of forgive them with rushing on the wave planet as they didn't want to lose years but I noticed the wave in the background the moment they stepped out of the spacecraft and they didn't even start planning for the next one! The entire premise of all the science in the film was laid on relativity to tie in with the daughter aging. That's a pretty cheap use of the multitude of stuff they could have tapped into to make the movie awesome. I think it was pretty lazy really.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#37 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 17 November 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it but the overarching storyline was laaaaaaame. I wonder at what point the Nolan's were sat there and said "Yeah, love, that's the thing that will underpin this sci-fi epic". I don't get how anyone with any sense working on the film thought that would work. I read an interview where Christopher Nolan claimed they were going for E.T. scale family drama in the vein of old school family movies where they didn't have to pitch it low just to qualify as a family blockbuster. I'm wondering if the love part was there to drag it down to kid levels.....or patronisingly to mum levels.....

Similar to my arguments to why I hated Prometheus. The lack of planning or foresight on these supposedly scientific missions annoy me no end. I can kind of forgive them with rushing on the wave planet as they didn't want to lose years but I noticed the wave in the background the moment they stepped out of the spacecraft and they didn't even start planning for the next one! The entire premise of all the science in the film was laid on relativity to tie in with the daughter aging. That's a pretty cheap use of the multitude of stuff they could have tapped into to make the movie awesome. I think it was pretty lazy really.

Never mind that a satellite taking photos of the planet and realizing that there is no land might have been a far better option. For all the planets actually. Hell take some aerial photos before landing!

I never understood the blight. It's a bacteria or fungus that eats crops and breathes Nitrogen? What? It could eat wheat but not corn until it evolved? This is why we have seedbanks. Also I feel positive before we could launch a colony to another solar system for the same resource investment we could create a bacteriophage or something to counter the blight.

PS I can't believe I just learnt this. Casey Affleck is the actor, he is Ben Afflecks brother and they were childhood friends with Mat Damon. Interesting. When I see real world conections like this I wonder how they affect the movie. Was the one cast in part because of the other?

This post has been edited by Cause: 17 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

#38 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

You forgot to mention that he's also the brother-in-law of Joaquin Phoenix, who plays Gargantua in the movie.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

Saw it.Liked, didn't love. The visuals were very pretty, the robots were nicely non traditional and fun, the performances were fine... The story... Wholly failed to surprise me even once.Maybe I just have too analytical a thinkybox when it comes to movies, but the second the book message said 'stay' I knew who sent it, Matt Damon 's outcome was practically screamed before we even met him, the fifth dimension thing was forecast when Anne Hathaway made her argument for Emond's world etc etc.
Worth seeing on a big screen, don't regret spending the dollars, but for me this was pretty, not brilliant.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#40 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

I saw it on opening day, and enjoyed it very much. I felt it was a bit slow in sections, particularly the beginning, but it picks up rather quickly once he "launches." I do agree with others that the visuals were stunning, the score was very well done, and added lots of suspense. The best part of the movie, imo, was when they were attempting to dock with the main ship again as it was spinning wildly out of control while descending into the planet's atmosphere. The space sections reminded me a lot of "Gravity" especially with the musical score. The acting was well done as expected given the cast. There was a certain amount of predictability, and on some level a bit over the top with the end premise of what occurs when you fall into a black hole. In the end the movie creates more questions than it answers, and I suppose that gets a fair bit of dialog going after the fact. I also felt that Anne Hathaways character, though acted decently, was a bit one dimensional. Given the expectation in which the movie leaves us, I would have thought that a bit more would go into her character.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users