Malazan Empire: Mark Lawrence thread for all things Mark Lawrence'y'ish - Malazan Empire

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mark Lawrence thread for all things Mark Lawrence'y'ish was "We need a Mark Lawrence subforum in here!"

#301 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:39 PM

View PostRACHEL, on 03 July 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

@Champ
Spoiler

Re:

Spoiler

I also dropped my reread of Red Sister as Peace Talks was fast approaching and I wanted to read a couple of books before Peace Talks in preparation...

But I have picked up that reread again and decided for a full series read, so just about to finish King of Thorns now. I mainly decided on the full book reread as there is something nagging at me about the Jorg/Jalan books but I really don't know what it is...

Also for those that love The Red Queen's War...

Get ordering:

https://grimoakpress...limited-edition

Just placed mine today!! Absolutely gutted to miss out of The Broken Empire though, never knew it existed!!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#302 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:49 PM

Spoiler

#303 User is offline   champ 

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

View PostCause, on 06 August 2020 - 03:49 PM, said:

Spoiler

Re

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 06 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

Tehol said:

#304 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:05 PM

Just can’t remember if the books ever have his real name, mark lawrence needs a better fan wiki. In time I’m sure.

#305 User is offline   champ 

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:34 PM

View PostCause, on 06 August 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

Just can’t remember if the books ever have his real name, mark lawrence needs a better fan wiki. In time I’m sure.

It doesn't ring a bell with me either.

Give me a couple of weeks though and I'll be through Red Queen's War, I'll look out for it.

I've found some cool little commentaries in The Broken Empire series that relate to the later books in a way, I'll post them when I'm finished with Emperor. Should be done with it tomorrow.

Tehol said:

#306 User is offline   champ 

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

My limited edition Red Queen's War finally arrived today!! The cost of postage, I would have expected them to helicopter it here…

Just reread The Broken Empire series – spoilers below for ALL BOOKS of Mark Lawrence.

Spoiler

Bit of a long ramble but I found those quotes interesting…

Tehol said:

#307 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:38 AM

View Postchamp, on 11 August 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

My limited edition Red Queen's War finally arrived today!! The cost of postage, I would have expected them to helicopter it here…

Just reread The Broken Empire series – spoilers below for ALL BOOKS of Mark Lawrence.

Spoiler

A true student would google "Cerani emperor" Posted Image

#308 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 12 August 2020 - 09:38 AM, said:

Just keep your Safesearch ON! Whew!

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#309 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 12 August 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

;)

Mazarkis Williams's books?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#310 User is offline   champ 

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:06 PM

View Postchamp, on 11 August 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

Spoiler

Ah, now that is interesting... but it doesn't change the fact that I still would like that book Posted Image...

Admittedly, I didn't google that, one part I did google was "who is Kali." Her name is invoked early on in the series and it took me out of the book, I felt it was an unusual comment and as far as I can tell it was the only time someone's name was invoked like that in the trilogy...

Certainly an, er, appropriate Goddess/mascot for the series...

Edit:

View Postamphibian, on 12 August 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 12 August 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

;)

Mazarkis Williams's books?

Seems it... good books? I've not read them...

Edit Edit:

I missed off one quote that relates between the series as I've spoken about it before but I'll post it again here...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 12 August 2020 - 07:37 PM

Tehol said:

#311 User is offline   champ 

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

Double post but...

Mazarkis Williams... Mr. Lawrence, call me intrigued...

I've just bought the trilogy set on ebook, you can get the full trilogy for £2.99.

Tehol said:

#312 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

Around a year and a half ago I read that Mark Lawrence and another author had teamed up under the pen name Mazarkis Williams to write the Tower and Knife trilogy. I bought all three and book one was really good but by the time I started reading book htree I remember my enthusiasm faded and I never finished book three. I remember feeling like what was happening was just so vague. I do not recall feeling like there were any connections to Mark's other books but I guess I have to give the trilogy another whirl now.

#313 User is offline   champ 

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

Haha aye, I had a quick look into it last night, saw the two AMAs with Mazarkis Williams (which I haven't got around to reading yet) and found this on Mark's blog...

Success is not guaranteed. I co-authored a book before my Prince of Thorns deal that was published after Prince of Thorns came out, and with a different publisher under a different name. We got a good advance. The book did not come close to earning out..

I'll definitely be paying close attention when I read that trilogy, especially interested in the setting/world it describes... not sure when I'll fit it in though, either after Red Queen's War or after I finish with The Girl and the Stars...

That mention of the Cerani above in my previous post, that is the only time they are mentioned throughout the Broken Empire series and I'm pretty sure Red Queen's War too... so it'll be interesting to see if they are mentioned only for a cool nod or if there is world relevance...

Tehol said:

#314 User is offline   champ 

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

I've had to split this into two as you cannot post too many quote blocks…

Part one:

I finished Red Queen's War a fair few weeks ago now but I'm in the midst of mania so it's hard to put together a long coherent post, I've put this off enough now though and I've finally got some time today to give it a shot… this is probably going to be a LONG ramble so beware!!

I really do love this series… it's not just the characters/brolove that makes these books so good, it's the layering and depth to the setting and story that moves them into the special category. It's easy to miss at first glance and on your first read but when read after The Broken Empire series you notice just how much RQW expands on what we know so far, on how it adds to the history of the world first set out in TBE and how it gives so many epic nods to the first trilogy.

I could do a massive post on all these cool nods and I think I will next time I read the series but that wasn't the purpose of reading this trilogy, it was all about the future connections but just a few examples that I enjoyed are…

SPOILERS FOR ALL MARK LAWRENCE BOOKS…

Spoiler

Tehol said:

#315 User is offline   champ 

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

Part two:

Spoiler

I've still got the short story to read at the end of the special edition book I bought so if I find anything in there then I will add it here later…

Tehol said:

#316 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:39 AM

View Postchamp, on 29 September 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

I've had to split this into two as you cannot post too many quote blocks…

Part one:

I finished Red Queen's War a fair few weeks ago now but I'm in the midst of mania so it's hard to put together a long coherent post, I've put this off enough now though and I've finally got some time today to give it a shot… this is probably going to be a LONG ramble so beware!!

I really do love this series… it's not just the characters/brolove that makes these books so good, it's the layering and depth to the setting and story that moves them into the special category. It's easy to miss at first glance and on your first read but when read after The Broken Empire series you notice just how much RQW expands on what we know so far, on how it adds to the history of the world first set out in TBE and how it gives so many epic nods to the first trilogy.

I could do a massive post on all these cool nods and I think I will next time I read the series but that wasn't the purpose of reading this trilogy, it was all about the future connections but just a few examples that I enjoyed are…

SPOILERS FOR ALL MARK LAWRENCE BOOKS…

Spoiler

You've been busy!

#317 User is offline   champ 

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

Haha, aye, you could say that… putting the energy of mania to good use for a change, it's easier to focus it to a purpose when you're passionate about a subject though you can tend to ramble/make mistakes… which is I think, er, evident in itself ha...

I'm having a Battle Ground and Harrow the Ninth break then it's on to Book of the Ancestor, Girl and the Stars and then to Mazarkis Williams. 

From a spoiler free review I read the MW series sounds like it has the same magic system as TBE and RQW with people being "Sworn." Interested to see what's going down there. Always happy to be wrong though… 

Tehol said:

#318 User is offline   champ 

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:20 PM

Found Mark's newsletter stashed in my emails and thought these would be a couple of points the forum would be interested in...

Otherwise, news has been a bit thin on the ground in 2020. In the background a famous film producer started writing a script for Red Sister ... then argued with another of the parties involved and quit. A PC games developer offered serious money to make Broken Empire games, then ducked out at contract signing ... you know, typical 2020 stuff.

Would be really interested to see what type of PC game they had in mind, a Broken Empire game would be epic... or potentially epic anyway. Lots of places it could go wrong though.

I'm unsure as to whether I would prefer TV or film adaptions of the works...

Shame both hit a stumbling block to say the least.

Tehol said:

#319 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

I think an open world Witcher type game would work for Broken Enpire. Like you're just a soldier type roaming the world and the like. Been a long time since I read them but I remember feeling that the bleak and magnificent setting would work well in this manner.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#320 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

So when’s the next book?

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +