• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Criticism of Malazan Book of the Fallen

#841 User is offline   TheImperial 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

View PostOld Magic, on 09 December 2009 - 06:02 PM, said:

since MOI and RG ended major story arcs for the most part I was hoping for a HoC start to TtH, a new beginning with a new major player.. I'm wading through so many loose ends and old characters I'm stuck reeling back to faint memories or figuring the weight of some passages on the rest of the book.. should iron out soon eh?

That's probably my only real big gripe with the series.

In theory, I like the huge cast of characters and the fact that so many of them have a subplot of some sort, but practically, it just gets to be too many to keep track of. I find that's particularly the case of the Tiste Andii and to a lesser degree, the Bridgeburners.

#842 User is offline   Juvenis 

• Corporal

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

I never noticed this criticism thread before....
I guess the only real problem I have is with the later books (mainly Toll the Hounds). They seem to be far to philosophical. Now, I have no problem at all with a little philosophy in my books. In fact, I welcome it. But when I'm reading paragraph after paragraph without anything actually happening, it starts to get to me. The apparant rambles become a little hard to bear. I haven't re-read TtH yet though, unlike every other book. So maybe I'm being unfair. Does anyone else think he is starting to move away from just telling the story?

#843 User is offline   Gaarheid 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

Toll the hounds: Best book in the series (didnt finish Dust Of Dreams yet, since Im hoping I can stall reading it untill the Crippled God comes out).

#844 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:03 AM

Toll the Hounds is quite different in writing style to all the others. A strange diversion. It does still kick arse though.

#845 User is offline   Old Magic 

• No Matter.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

View Postmaro, on 11 January 2010 - 12:03 AM, said:

Toll the Hounds is quite different in writing style to all the others. A strange diversion. It does still kick arse though.

I'm about a third of the way through and so far I can only relate it to the Tom Bombadil scene in LotR.. philosophy from immortals.. especially the part with Gothos sending Skintick and Nimander off into Omtose Phellack to find their own way out.. good stuff Posted Image i absolutely love the aspect of a world enriched with warrens, adds so much depth to the series.

This post has been edited by Old Magic: 28 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

"Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"

#846 User is offline   Crix 

• Recruit

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

I agree, his philosophical ramblings did not work in TTH. He had a great cast of characters and the adventures were cool. Murrillio's/Torvald/Rallick/Cutter/Scorch and Leff etc etc. Return of Gruntle was awesome but I think SE did not do a good job with storytelling as his previous books. Still a good read but I would list this second last after RG with my pecking order below:

1. MoI
2. MT
3. GoTM
4. DG
5. HoC
6. TBH
7. RG
8. TTH

#847 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

I loved TTH in its entirety. I can't actually rank the books since they're all so amazing.

My only complaint is that they have to end at some point. Posted Image
These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#848 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:06 AM

43 pages of discussion. Do I care?

No. I'm drunk.

This means I'm right. If anyone can get me an opinion on whatever it is that is discussed, thanks.
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#849 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

You can't possibly be right if your page count is 43 pages. Correctness increases as posts per page increases, sir.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#850 User is offline   Master_of_the_Deck 

• Recruit

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

I have to agree with some points! Sometimes the padding is a little too much for me as well, but I slog through and what do you know, surprise surprise I am floored by Erikson's twists and turns. All the padding, while seeming pointless, all seems to play along with the themes of the books. What may seem like them whining in their heads, is actually a discourse on human nature. Clever, but understandably hard to read. IMO SE is the best fantasy writer out there at the moment. I have just re-read all the books and my fingers are itching now to pick up Dust of Dreams. I do not want this to end, but all good things must come to an end!

#851 User is offline   Atrate61 

• Atri-Quirkle of High House Wombat

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

I am about a third of the way through my second (or maybe third) re-read of Toll the Hounds. I can remember the first time I read it, I kept on thinking WTH??? at the very different narrative style, pacing and man....at times really, REALLY dark tone.

On this, my second (or maybe third) re-read, I am finding that I am rather thoroughly enjoying the book for the reasons stated above -- I know, perverse, but there you have it. I am also catching things that I know I missed the first (and maybe second; I'm old, my memory isn't what it used to be) time around, which is having the result of enriching the whole experience.

However I hit a part last night, and although I read the paragraph three or four times, I simply could not figure out who Erikson was writing about. It's an ebony-skinned person (no gender mentioned), very muscular and attractive, with amber-coloured eyes who arrives in Darujihstan. Sounds Andii, but....is it Rake? Can anyone help?

Abyssinya
'If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

#852 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

It's Barathol Mekhar
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#853 User is offline   Atrate61 

• Atri-Quirkle of High House Wombat

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

View PostHetan, on 05 August 2010 - 05:54 AM, said:

It's Barathol Mekhar

Thanks so much Hetan :)
'If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

#854 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

I think I probably wouldn't have liked TtH as much if I'd read it straight after RG, but that's more due to the fact that I tend to get a little sick of an author if I read too many of their books in a row, and that if I take a break before returning to a series it's fresher when I pick it back up. Otherwise, enjoyed it, loved the Black Coral/Dying God arc, though I found some of the Darujhistan stuff a little wearyingly grim.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#855 User is offline   Greyfrog32 

• Recruit

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Moi
Dg
Gom
Rg
Bh
Dod
Hoc
Mt
"So where are my masked stick-pivoting compatriots hiding?"

#856 User is offline   z10 

• Recruit

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Having just completed Toll the Hounds (and quickly moved onto Dust of Dreams) there are very few things I have found to criticize. One thing however that is starting to bug me is how little is explained of each of the major events and turning points in the books. I can understand that intelligence is being asked of from the reader, to grasp the story from subtle clues, however, at some point you have to let the story carry itself. If you continue to leave the major plot line a suspense (so much so that at this point, the major protagonists/ antagonists of the central tension of the series is still unclear) then you start falling into the trap of suspense for the sake of suspense. I am sure that whatever is being built up to will be a fantastic finale, but make it clear and let it carry itself, a good story should be able to stand on its own and not need the added tension of suspense to create its magic for it.

Share this topic:

• 43 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users