Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

MT had two-dimensional characters?
Did we read the same book?
:p

#822 User is offline   sylar 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

The reason I was hooked to the Malazan series is that, unlike other authors, SE kept up a relentless pace. The huge scale, engaging battles and evolving plot made this series a real page turner.
But unfortunately, off late the focus has been too much towards pandering to the requirement of extensive character development. Especially in the latest edition TTH, the snails pace for the first 800 pages made me wonder why exactly I hadn't spent the money on a .. bus ride perhaps. The ride would have definitely been more eventful. The last few pages do make up a bit, but again the momentous battles are just rushed through. I mean, before we even get into imagining the fight between Dassem and Rake, Rake is dead. Its like, "Their blades were a blur and Rake dies". How engaging?
Guys, dont mistake me I still like this Malazan world. I only hope that it will get back to the basics that won over many of us in the first place.
I guess 'Change we need'.

#823 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

View Postsylar, on Feb 10 2009, 11:29 AM, said:

The reason I was hooked to the Malazan series is that, unlike other authors, SE kept up a relentless pace. The huge scale, engaging battles and evolving plot made this series a real page turner.
But unfortunately, off late the focus has been too much towards pandering to the requirement of extensive character development. Especially in the latest edition TTH, the snails pace for the first 800 pages made me wonder why exactly I hadn't spent the money on a .. bus ride perhaps. The ride would have definitely been more eventful. The last few pages do make up a bit, but again the momentous battles are just rushed through. I mean, before we even get into imagining the fight between Dassem and Rake, Rake is dead. Its like, "Their blades were a blur and Rake dies". How engaging?
Guys, dont mistake me I still like this Malazan world. I only hope that it will get back to the basics that won over many of us in the first place.
I guess 'Change we need'.

Isn't an author allowed to experiment?

#824 User is offline   sylar 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Sure he is, just that this particular experiment failed, and spectacularly at that.
Any experiment that will increase the slam boom fantasy quotient and do away the anthropology in the book (at least to a degree) is welcome by me.
I mean guys, aren't we rather overloaded with reality(livelihood, religion, business, RECESSION etc) in our very world to actually be interested in like intricacies of an imaginary world/s?

#825 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

View Postsylar, on Feb 10 2009, 06:22 PM, said:

Sure he is, just that this particular experiment failed, and spectacularly at that.
Any experiment that will increase the slam boom fantasy quotient and do away the anthropology in the book (at least to a degree) is welcome by me.
I mean guys, aren't we rather overloaded with reality(livelihood, religion, business, RECESSION etc) in our very world to actually be interested in like intricacies of an imaginary world/s?

But thats just your opinion. I loved TTH. You need those details to make an imaginary world feel real. Real problems generate real feelings in the reader.
Not every book has to be about armies fighting.
After reading RoTCG earlier on in the summer, which was just full of mindless action followed by mindless action followed by the most telegraphed ending imaginable (How I hate those indestructible sappers with their endless supply of cussers that solve EVERY problem) TTH was a great relief.
For me, RG was the weak spot for SE. Not TTH, which I would put up there with MT and MOI.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 11 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

#826 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm sure you've already seen it in other places, blackzoid, but in the last two books? The Malazans are pretty much out of cussers.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#827 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

Didn't stop them from blowing the dragon sisters apart in RG.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#828 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Yes. They were the last.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#829 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

And then Hedge stepped out of the Refugium with a big bag of christmas cussers...

#830 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Word of Steve, the Malazan armies in Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God are fresh out of high explosives.

#831 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on Feb 11 2009, 08:39 PM, said:

Word of Steve, the Malazan armies in Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God are fresh out of high explosives.

Thats sometime I do not believe. Not for an instant. Never!

I didn't mind the cuusers too much in RG, although it was a bit annoying.
I absolutely hated their over-use in RoTCG.
The point that the hoary legend from the past/invading magical force can be blown up by a cusser has been made! We get it.
It was made in GoTM (Raest) , DG (soletaken on trail of hands) ,MOI(Kell Hunters), HOC (Tiste Liosan) and RG (3 sisters, and Silchas Ruin and demons)
by the time RoTCG came along I was heartily sick of cussers. (Although to be fair this was the only book that ICM overused cussers, so I should be fairer on him)

Its about time for an anti-cusser tactic.
Because I now expect those plucky sappers to ALWAYS have a cusser or two somewhere to blast their way out of any problem.

#832 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

But the use of munitions in RCG was interesting.

It's first time we see how the malazan forces would use them in an open field clash against a strong opponent. It is made doubly fun because this is probably the first time both sides of the battle has munitions.

#833 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

View PostAptorian, on Feb 12 2009, 07:12 AM, said:

But the use of munitions in RCG was interesting.

It's first time we see how the malazan forces would use them in an open field clash against a strong opponent. It is made doubly fun because this is probably the first time both sides of the battle has munitions.

Aha! . This is a point I made in the RoTCG forum. The other side (who included the damn INVENTERS of the things) just didn't have those amazing plucky sappers with them to cause havoc. Cos we all now that only sappers are any good with them. Not the Moranth of course. They may have invented them but only Malazan Sappers can use them properly and in a devastating fashion.

Aerial bombardment on the Malazan's from cussers dropped from quorls would have been cool. But we can't have the Malazan's incurring casualties as a result of cussers can we? Thats just not on!

#834 User is offline   Xardean 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

ICE ruins everything..... the more i read in on RotCG the more i dislike it... especially after I've read it.

#835 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostXardean, on Feb 15 2009, 01:40 AM, said:

ICE ruins everything..... the more i read in on RotCG the more i dislike it... especially after I've read it.

I haven't read any of the ICE stuff yet, and am not sure iif i will. I've seen too many comments about how it was fun because it was a malazan book, but not especially well written. Ah, who am i kidding. I'll probably read ICE, but maybe from the libary.
Error: Signature not valid

#836 User is offline   redJAKO 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:27 AM

Cussers are always talked about being "too dangerous" to even throw (proximity), yet are done with abandon :D

#837 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

My problem is that most of the relationships bar those already in actions or those that have failed to get off the ground tend to be love at first sight. Nobody seems to gradually fall in love they tend to simply look at each other and bam that's it. Even those that never go anywhere seem to be like this Apsalar/Crokus was pretty much love at first sight.

#838 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Things take place on Genebackis or Quon Tali and fifteen minutes later the loweliest Malazan private on Seven Cities knows about it in detail.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#839 User is offline   NemoTheImperfect 

• Recruit
  • Interests:reading, writing, music ... movies and tracking :)

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

View Post' date=, on 11 May 2004 - 11:43 AM, said:

How does someone ascend Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image? Dunno, nobody knows except Erikson I guess. Maybe he doesn't even know yet Posted Image. It has something to do with wisdom and experience. Personally I think you need an "ultimate goal/mission/purpose" to ascend aswell as those. You are willing to sacrifice all else for that one purpose. Just my thoughts (I just thought that idea up, good eh?). . . Posted Image

if you look closely to the novels you'll see that there is no rule of ascending. the humans don't know, the founding races don't know and even the gods are unaware of rules, if there were some.
look at Gesler and Stormy who nearly ascended "accidentaly", or The Shield Anvil of the Grey Swords, Itkovian, ascending after death. a purpose or goal in life is not neccesary. maybe it helps, maybe not.
I guess on every hard working mage or assasin or hero who ascended there are countless with the same abilities who tried as hard and did as well as them but didn't ascend
Whom shall I fear if not myself?

#840 User is offline   Old Magic 

• No Matter.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

since MOI and RG ended major story arcs for the most part I was hoping for a HoC start to TtH, a new beginning with a new major player.. I'm wading through so many loose ends and old characters I'm stuck reeling back to faint memories or figuring the weight of some passages on the rest of the book.. should iron out soon eh?
"Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"

Share this topic:

• 43 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users