• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Final Fantasy Series FFXV and then the whole series

#81 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

WinterPhoenix, on 08 January 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

A tip on the location of the postgame dungeon mentioned, I'll spoiler it so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Spoiler

Haha, I had a dumbass moment, I clicked reply to your text saying I'll avoid the spoiler and obviously the spoiler text appeared in the reply window...

Haven't played it since the weekend but will probably jump in in the next couple of days.

Side quest spoiler:

WinterPhoenix, on 08 January 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Spoiler

Not yet no, I hated the stupid...

Spoiler

WinterPhoenix, on 12 January 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Update

So, I finally managed to get the damn feather, must've been close to 70 times in the end, all for a 15% drop! Apparently.

So I've been zooming through the rest of the sidequests/hunts that I have access to before moving on to chapter 9. Currently frustrating myself in Costelmark Tower, these puzzles :p Should be rank 7 hunter before I finish the chapter as well. Hopefully I'm steam through the last few chapters, want to sink my teeth into the postgame, doubt I'll have many issues with the games final bosses, should be lv70ish by the time I get there, and I've seen people saying it can be done in the mid-40's without too much trouble.

Congrats! That is some nasty RNG.

With regards to Costelmark...

Spoiler

On the final level, make sure to clean out the final area of enemies, check out how to get Ulrics daggers, I came across them by accident running around killing enemies and then learnt there is a way you have to do it and I lucked out...

You'll face some tasty enemies, one a prelude to...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 12 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#82 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

On the whole Costelmark thing.

Spoiler

But yeah that is hands down the nastiest RNG I've ever dealt with, considering how relatively common the drop is supposed to be compared to some other farming nightmares I've had. I mean there is written evidence on the Dark Souls 3 thread on this forum of just how much time I spent farming Silver Knights, trophy hunting for that game, so I don't say that lightly, I mean at least they were supposed to be rare drops, ya know! To take it back to FFXII, I had less frustration trying to get the 1% Brave Suit treasure in the Henne Mines than I had getting this damn feather, I knew that was rare as shit, I knew the Henne Mines were high-end postgame stuff, by comparison this drop always felt like it was taking the piss! lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 13 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#83 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:08 AM

Played for a bit more after everyone else went to bed. Finished all available sidequests and all but one possible hunt. I accrued 360'000 exp before I slept at the 2x exp hotel, jumped from lv 57 to lv 74 in one hit :p

Spoiler

#84 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

So I bought a PS4 and FFXV on a whim on Sunday. I'm now something like 16 hours into the game, in Chapter 5 I think, and around level 26-27...

Right after...

Spoiler

I'm quite enjoying it! Prompto definitely has his annoying moments, but I LOVE when he sings the Chocobo song, makes me snicker every time!

I caught on to Magic really quickly, so have been using it pretty much right from the start! Don't love the system, but it's definitely useful as an opening move!

My favourite weapons are the Broadswords and the Daggers. Yes, the Broadswords are slow, but when they hit, they hit like a brick shithouse! And the daggers move so fluidly. I love popping out of a group of enemies, warp-striking back in, and just letting loose with a flurry of dagger blows, then warping back out. Rinse, repeat!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#85 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

The daggers are great, certain pair you can pick up in the final mission are brilliant for the bonuses they confer as well. Basically just used Duranda/Ultima Blade for the entire game myself, the two best swords in the category that only Noct can use - apart from one post-game dungeon sword. Genuinely never needed to bother using anything else, Ultima/Engine Blade is great for farming the different elements, if you are using magic. You can upgrade the Engine Blade to the Ultima very early (much earlier than I managed) as well if you know what enemy to kill and arent above farming or save/loading for a little bit.

Spoiler

#86 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

So I was 36 hours into the game. Chapter 12 or something...

Spoiler

I used Umbra to warp back to the Past so that I could work on some sidequests, and the Adamantoise hunt started. I did the part where you go to it, then run away. When I got back to Hammerhead, I went to talk to Takka, the game glitched, and I had to restart. When I reloaded, every NPC in that area was gone, none of the hunt beasts would actually appear in ANY area for ANY of the hunts anymore, and any monsters that were supposed to appear for sidequests stopped appearing, and no demons spawned during night.

Unfortunately I didn't have an old save that I could go back to, so basically, 36 hours of gameplay down the drain as it was impossible to complete most sidequests and ANY of the hunts. I tried dropping the Adamantoise hunt by talking to Takka at Hammerhead, and it just freezes my game.

I even tried completing the game to see what would happen, but I couldn't get past some of the baddies in...

Spoiler

cause I wasn't high enough level... Given I couldn't do any sidequests, there was no way for me to keep leveling up besides running around and trying to find little daytime monsters to fight, something I have 0 patience for.

So unimpressed.

I started a new file... Am now being more completionist - i.e. I'm not doing progressing the story quests until I've done all level appropriate sidequests and hunts. This way I should be much higher level when I get near the end.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#87 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

I only have 3 menace dungeons left now and then I've basically finished all content. I'm just trying to farm enough AP to get the remaining abilities I want before the Costelmark no-item run, but by-god it's so long and monotonous. Like seriously you need thousands and there's no fast method of farming :/

#88 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

So do some hunts unlock in post-game?

I've just started Chapter 9 (for the second time), and I've done every single hunt that's available to me in both Altissia and Lucis and I'm like 14 or so points away from level 8 hunter rank. I've done every sidequest except for the Rainbow Frogs and a few of the weapon upgrades, and done every dungeon, so gotten all the royal arms (except for the two that are coming up in the story). I'm level 70, most of my healing items are maxed out, and I'm just breezing through to end game now. I also need to go find some of the tools that I missed, and get all the weapons from the Caem carrots guy, and I haven't done any of the Coliseum stuff, so that's on my to-do list as well.

WinterPhoenix - I've read that the best way to AP farm is to find a pack of Sabretusks in Leide, then warp strike kill them all, then use the Monster Whistle to resummon them, rinse repeat. You get an AP for each warp strike kill, so if you're high enough level, you should be able to one-shot warp-kill them all. I haven't tried this method myself, but I've certainly gotten tons of AP from doing the warp strike trick to any groups of baddies I run across while doing other quests.

This post has been edited by Blend: 08 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

#89 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Oh yes I finished my AP farming using that method and went on to take on the post-game section of Costelmark as the final task, if you use healcast magic to overcome the no items enforcement it's honestly not that difficult really. If you're going to use that method of AP farming by the way, make sure to use the Shield of the Just for your warp strikes as it hits multiple targets at once, if you kill all targets before the in fight music plays then you can use the whistle again immediately without having to wait for the exp totals to go away.

Yes there are certain hunts that do not show up (in Lestallum I believe) until post-game. Are you 100% sure you've done all the hunts you can though? I could've sworn I got to nearly rank 9 before post-game, I think there might be a few hunts that show up between chapter 9 and 14, not 100% sure but travelling too and from past Lucis is not difficult, so checking will be easy.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 08 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

#90 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

I'll have to warp back to Lucis to check that out as I'm pretty sure I've gone everywhere and done everything. The only Hunt quest I had left in Lucis before I went to Altissia was the Behemeoth Tyrant, and it was greyed out cause I hadn't hit level 8 Hunter Rank yet.

Maybe I'm missing a hub completely.

#91 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

Hmm the only places I could think of that might possibly be checked less often in a playthrough (and thus maybe miss one coming up as a result of progression in the storyline) are Verinas Mart and Meldacio Hunter's HQ. But I could also be going crazy, because the Behemoth Tyrant hunt was greyed out for me as well for a long time, I just can't remember whether I did it before the final mission or not. There's a possibility I'm just confusing rank 8 and rank 9, I won't lie.

#92 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

WinterPhoenix, on 08 February 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hmm the only places I could think of that might possibly be checked less often in a playthrough (and thus maybe miss one coming up as a result of progression in the storyline) are Verinas Mart and Meldacio Hunter's HQ. But I could also be going crazy, because the Behemoth Tyrant hunt was greyed out for me as well for a long time, I just can't remember whether I did it before the final mission or not. There's a possibility I'm just confusing rank 8 and rank 9, I won't lie.

So I've finished almost all Hunt quests at this point.

First I beat the game, and that unlocked a bunch of hunt quests at Lestallum that got me to the next level. After I did those, I made the rounds, and picked up and completed almost all the other hunts available.

I now only have the Daemonwall - I tried it once and failed, so will come back to that, the Adamantoise, and I think a couple of other Level 9 hunts, will have to do the rounds again. I've done all of Randolph's Legendary Hunt quests as well. I'm at level 88 on Noct and 86 on the rest of them. I've done 4 of the 9 end game dungeons. I think I have one or two fishing quests left (last one I completed was the Vesper Gar). And I have the Rainbow frogs. And there's the hidden secret dungeon that you can only get to in the Flying Regalia.

I have to spend an hour or two just camping over and over again to max out Ignis' cooking ability, as I barely camped at all throughout the game in order to save my EXP for hotel sleeps. And Noctis' fishing is at level 7, so have to put some time into that too, though I hate fishing, so probably won't bother. And I haven't touched anything in the Coliseum, and I still have a few items to acquire via Caem carrots, as well as going back into the bases to find the tools I missed, and then the quests to level all those up.

Then I think I've got it all!

All in all, I've quite enjoyed this game, though I thought the story was somewhat confusing. I am disappointed by the End Game dungeons, I was expecting them to be more than just a succession of rooms with bad guys in them. I love love love the summons in this game - and some of the later game hunts are epic as well! I remember when the Catoblepas was the scariest thing I'd fought... The Naflgar was frikkin ridiculous! Big issue I have is that it's a pain in the arse to get to the sealed door in Daurel Caverns if you didn't get the ladder the first time around. I now kill things so fast that I tend to not have a chance to get up to the ledge before the battle's over so I can drop the ladder, I've tried a couple of times. I was up there at end of battle once, cast a spell to kill off the baddies at the bottom, and the spellcasting made Noct move to just off the platform and I fell, so had to try to repeat... After 3 tries, I just moved on to the next one on the list and will come back to this another day.

Either way, I've sunk just under 70 hours into this game so far, and I expect I'll sink another good chunk of time in it to at least finish the end game dungeons and kill the Adamantoise.

#93 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Blend, on 17 February 2017 - 09:07 PM, said:

WinterPhoenix, on 08 February 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

So I've finished almost all Hunt quests at this point.

First I beat the game, and that unlocked a bunch of hunt quests at Lestallum that got me to the next level. After I did those, I made the rounds, and picked up and completed almost all the other hunts available.

I now only have the Daemonwall - I tried it once and failed, so will come back to that, the Adamantoise, and I think a couple of other Level 9 hunts, will have to do the rounds again. I've done all of Randolph's Legendary Hunt quests as well. I'm at level 88 on Noct and 86 on the rest of them. I've done 4 of the 9 end game dungeons. I think I have one or two fishing quests left (last one I completed was the Vesper Gar). And I have the Rainbow frogs. And there's the hidden secret dungeon that you can only get to in the Flying Regalia.

I have to spend an hour or two just camping over and over again to max out Ignis' cooking ability, as I barely camped at all throughout the game in order to save my EXP for hotel sleeps. And Noctis' fishing is at level 7, so have to put some time into that too, though I hate fishing, so probably won't bother. And I haven't touched anything in the Coliseum, and I still have a few items to acquire via Caem carrots, as well as going back into the bases to find the tools I missed, and then the quests to level all those up.

Then I think I've got it all!

All in all, I've quite enjoyed this game, though I thought the story was somewhat confusing. I am disappointed by the End Game dungeons, I was expecting them to be more than just a succession of rooms with bad guys in them. I love love love the summons in this game - and some of the later game hunts are epic as well! I remember when the Catoblepas was the scariest thing I'd fought... The Naflgar was frikkin ridiculous! Big issue I have is that it's a pain in the arse to get to the sealed door in Daurel Caverns if you didn't get the ladder the first time around. I now kill things so fast that I tend to not have a chance to get up to the ledge before the battle's over so I can drop the ladder, I've tried a couple of times. I was up there at end of battle once, cast a spell to kill off the baddies at the bottom, and the spellcasting made Noct move to just off the platform and I fell, so had to try to repeat... After 3 tries, I just moved on to the next one on the list and will come back to this another day.

Either way, I've sunk just under 70 hours into this game so far, and I expect I'll sink another good chunk of time in it to at least finish the end game dungeons and kill the Adamantoise.

I maxed cooking via natural progression tbh, I used a couple of good spots throughout the story to hit up loads of sidequests and use a hotel for the huge experience, everywhere else I just camped whenever I was near one. Certain camps throughout the game give you these 'Tour's essentially miniquests where one of your mates asks for help, completing it gives you 20AP, so they are useful. Used every camp at least once basically. The better recipes you learn as the game goes through gets your cooking up fairly fast, you can combine the camping with AP farming as well if you wish to do so - especially useful if you took the AP nodes that give you AP for camping, eating a favourite recipe, driving and fishing. As for fishing, it is hands down the single most annoying skill to level up, if you intend to actually max it, just use the Vesper Gar (seeing as you've already caught one) and catch it over and over again, gives some of the best skill progression in the game - think there's only 2-3 that are better and they're all harder to catch. Btw, one of the fishing 'sidequests' requires you to do one of the tours mentioned above, you need to camp somewhere near the Vesperpool to be able to undertake catching the Noble Arapaima, I would highly suggest getting to level 10 first though.

The Rainbow Frogs are an absolute nightmare if you don't have any guide of any sort, I gave up trying to find them without help, I just don't have that kind of time frankly. I would suggest finishing the quest for it's reward before your undertake the Costelmark Menace Dungeon at least. If you've done everything you can before you do Costelmark and used all collected Oracle coins on Ribbons, you can have a Ribbon for each team member for the dungeon, which is very useful.

If you've already beaten Naglfar I really don't think much else in the game should give you much trouble at all tbh, certainly in terms of an individual fight anyhow. Adamantoise looks scary but is honestly just long, I was disappointed by how easy the fight is tbh, as with almost everything else in the game the easy access to healing items trivialises the encounter - it is however, a very long fight. The Level 99 Angelus Mech is pretty much the same, long fight due to it's defenses, otherwise not really difficult There's 3 or 4 possible exceptions in the way of difficulty:

1. Landing the Regalia for the Pitioss Ruins, seriously the only gameovers I had in my entire playthrough were attemtping to land that damn car on the small strip of runway for the dungeon - died 13 times in a row. The Ruins themselves are wonderfully constructed though :D

2. Steyliff Grove Menace Dungeon, 99 levels, sooooo many Tonberries.

3. Costelmark Tower Menace Dungeon, no item usage. Two rooms in particular are a nightmare. I highly, highly recommend creating some healcast magic. If you eat to immunise yourself against elemental damage as well, some rooms become a joke.

Really nothing else is very difficult, even Steyliff is mostly just trudging through and making sure you have enough healing items. Actually if Steyliff had been no-items, that would have been interesting.

EDIT: Daemonwall gets an honourable mention as well actually, if only because of the time limit. Pitioss Ruins itself is one of those things that for some people could be a honest to god nightmare. If you've played alot of platformers though you should be ok if you can gets to grips with Noctis' sometimes jerky movements, that you genuinely don't notice until Pitioss when he has to be precise.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 22 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

#94 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

Briar King, on 25 February 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

There's a timed hunt going on worth 333AP 150K Gil and 10K exp. kill 100 Cactuars. I just tried and got spanked....

I'm guessing this is DLC or something yeah? I'm waiting till they released some more of the extra content before I get the season pass or something. Getting DLC is so annoying for me because I can't just use the PSN, Sony will not accept my credit card details! I actually deleted FFXV from the harddrive after I finished everything to make space for Skyrim, obviously I kept the saves though.

#95 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:44 AM

Ya the Angelus Mech, that thing has stupid high defenses, but it has a small chance to drop essentially the best accessory in the game. I remember when I was playing the game there was strategies for farming the mech, so you can get the 3 each for all characters. I never bothered myself, even the most difficult dungeon in the game doesnt really need it, not worth the time it takes.

#96 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Briar King, on 26 June 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

Looks like a skinny ED209.

I hate Prompto. He is the weakest character in any FF game I ever played. Can't keep that pussy alive at all in large swarms in either day or esp night.

I load him up with my strongest +HP accessories and he does fine for me! I tend to have Ignis dying more often than Prompto.

#97 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

Yeah I just did what Blend suggested as well, best HP accessories on him at all times, his HP is pretty low but it should be enough to survive long enough if you not gunning way above level. Trying to keep him alive against Coeurls/Elder Coeurls is a bitch though. I found that Noctis is so OP in this game though that Prompto dying never really hindered me much. Elixirs and healing items are at most vendors as well, I think past like level 40 (maybe earlier tbh) I just never let my stock of any healing item drop below about 20, I don't remember them being prohibitively expensive.

#98 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

As long as you do all the side quests (particularly the ones where you have to take pictures for Viv), you should be fine on the money front. Eventually, you get a store in the car as well, so you never really have to worry about finding items. I always kept maxed out on Hi Potions and Elixirs, and just basically threw an elixir at anyone who was below 1/2 max HP, or a hi-potion if their max HP is still high but their actual HP is low.

#99 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

Ignis died most often for me too tbh, maybe because I gave all the health items to Prompto and just gave Ignis damage boosting stuff only. Elixirs and Hi-Potions are the way my friend! :)

Did you get the DLC in the end then? I still need to get it eventually at some point, I hate having the Platinum Trophy but it doesn't say 100% next to the game lol I didn't even know you could get the Regalia offroad?

#100 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Briar King, on 30 June 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

Y'all fucked me. Somehow Ignis is the one kicking the bucket which has never really happened before. Fuck y'all.

On ch 8

WinterPhoenix, on 30 June 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Ignis died most often for me too tbh, maybe because I gave all the health items to Prompto and just gave Ignis damage boosting stuff only. Elixirs and Hi-Potions are the way my friend! :)

Did you get the DLC in the end then? I still need to get it eventually at some point, I hate having the Platinum Trophy but it doesn't say 100% next to the game lol I didn't even know you could get the Regalia offroad?

I think for Ignis I tended to always use the Ballistic Vests (the ones that reduce long range damage) and that helped, but yeah, Ignis was the one I always had issues with on the dying front regardless. As WP mentioned, lots of elixirs and HPs.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users