• You cannot reply to this topic

Final Fantasy Series FFXV and then the whole series

#121 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

Looks like the review embargo for FF7 lifts tomorrow:

https://opencritic.com/

That's gotta be a sign of confidence in the title.

#122 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 04 April 2020 - 08:43 PM, said:

I still want the timeline. I’m sure it’s going to the PS5 obviously but really don’t feel like waiting years between this first release and the last. Maybe as small a chance as it is they will surprise us with the info that the entire thing is complete and here is the schedule. Then I will get.

I imagine the spoiler is probably
Spoiler

I would just rather FF16 honestly.

Er, no. Well, maybe, but we won't find out until the end of Part II I'd imagine.

The spoilers from Part I's ending are much, much more bananas.

DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED

Spoiler

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#123 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:00 PM

Open Critic has FF7 sitting at around an average 88 critic score.

https://opencritic.c...-remake/reviews

I think the reception is about expected, very high quality reimagining but bloated with filler side content.

I am going to play the shit out of this.

#124 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

I quickly dropped the FF game I played, found it boring af. It was one of the titles from the early aughts that my brother gave to me (he said he didn't like it). And that score for this rehash is no where near what I would even bat an eyelash at. Big pass from me, but have fun though.

#125 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:29 PM

I think the reception is about expected, very high quality reimagining but bloated with filler side content.

That seems a little harsh:

Spoiler

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 April 2020 - 05:46 PM, said:

I quickly dropped the FF game I played, found it boring af. It was one of the titles from the early aughts that my brother gave to me (he said he didn't like it). And that score for this rehash is no where near what I would even bat an eyelash at. Big pass from me, but have fun though.

If it was Final Fantasy X (which matches the time period), you're not alone there. Although not regarded as the worst game in the series (a fate reserved for XIII), it's definitely one of the less well-received entries in the entire series.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#126 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:21 AM

Already pre-ordered FF7. How many of you guys are planning on picking the game up tomorrow?

#127 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:11 PM

Three hours till launch. I think I'll get up early tomorrow and play FF7 like it's Christmas morning.

#128 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:44 AM

Just booted up FF7. Haven't started playing yet because the game opens with the classic press start to begin with the Final Fantasy logo and there's this theme music that my teenage nostalgia is freaking out for.

Goose bumps.

Edit: Ah shit, even the menus are familiar!

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 April 2020 - 04:44 AM

#129 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:45 AM

Played through Chapter 1 and got a bit into chapter 2, where you can already see they're fleshing out the story.

Everything feels so familiar. As I've heard somebody else state, the remake looks and plays the way your teenage imagination says FF7 looked and played like.

So far I wish there was more actual RPG elements to the gameplay, more story branching and some dialogue options but maybe that's a western RPG thing.

When I got to the first boss fight I switched the difficulty from normal to the classic gameplay option, where the difficulty is easy and the characters fight and defend themselves and all you have to worry about is strategy, keeping an eye on the health and action bars and then picking commands. I was getting a bit overwhelmed with both having to actively fight that crazy robot and picking abilities and potions, etc. Think I'll stick to this style. The combat is stupidly easy this way but I'm not playing FF7 for the challenge.

So far the story is taking some interesting turns. First of all playing the part of an eco terrorist is a biiit more controversial in 2020 than in the 90s. I'm thinking less about Green Peace and more Al-Queda. The consequences of the attack on the reactor are much more stark.

It's also interesting to look at Cloud's visions from a modern day PTSD perspective. Dude's seen some shit. But of course as a player we know something more than personal demons is haunting Cloud.

About the plot. I'll put this in a spoiler box for those who want absolutely no info:

Spoiler

#130 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:49 AM

Do you know if there are plans to do a PS4 remake of FFVIII? That was always my favourite...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#131 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:01 AM

FF7 will likely take 5-10 years to finish so I wouldn't hold my breath. Also I don't think FF8 has half the fan love as 7.

I think a more likely remake could be FF 3/FF6 that's another classic.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 April 2020 - 11:02 AM

#132 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

Okay, I know this is a terrible thing to say in these modern politically correct times but... Damn Tifa looks fine in this game!

A whole new generation of teenage wet dreams will be created in the wake of this series.

#133 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:58 PM

Biggs reminds me of a young hot shots version of Charlie Sheen.

#134 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

View PostAptorian, on 10 April 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

FF7 will likely take 5-10 years to finish so I wouldn't hold my breath. Also I don't think FF8 has half the fan love as 7.

I think a more likely remake could be FF 3/FF6 that's another classic.

6 was amazing, as was 4. I'd love them to just update the graphics on those, I certainly don't need a full remake. I'm not a huge fan of 7 either way, and watching them split this single game into multiple 'chapters' that I think you have to pay full price for not motivation for me to buy something.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#135 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

Just noticed Cloud had black stud earrings. He's a pretty boy.

#136 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

Finished chapter 4. I love this game.

It's like the best parts of a Disney movie and anime and Metal Gear Solid got smashed together. The anime weirdo bullshit is thankfully turned way down and instead you have these really wholesome and loveable characters in some really impressive action set pieces. It's just a really successful adaption.

Right now I'm sitting here as a 39 year old man thretting about whether I want to go on a date with Jessie or Tifa. Decisions, decisions!

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

#137 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:49 PM

Bounce?

#138 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

There's got to be a bit of bounce.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#139 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 April 2020 - 10:27 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2020 - 12:40 AM, said:

I find most people shit on 8 more then 10 and I think they bat shit cray cray when they do. Not really but I am severely biased as 8 was the one that got me back into gaming years after selling all my consoles cause chasing tail was more important plus it was my 1st of the franchise. I loved 8! 9 was a bit strange to me. 10 was just balling with those fancy PS2 graphics and voice acting brought a whole new epicness and Blizball was sooooooo fun to play but those assholes took our free flight airships away and haven’t given em back since. And no I don’t consider that trash Regalia flight mode an airship. That fucker has issues...

Historically years back? Maybe, but I think now the common consensus is that FF8 is pretty good, and its original critically weak reception was more down to Western audiences not used to series completely swapping characters, worlds and stories with every installment and moaning because it wasn't FF7 Part II.

#140 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

Finished chapter 9.

That was a crazy chapter. I'm sure critics are going to be discussing that section for the coming months. Cloud and Aeris come to a red light district to help Tifa who's gone under cover.

The game over all has a strange tone. Part Disney story and characters pure of heart, part mature themes and quite colourful language. Chapter 9 goes nuts with this, there's sex trafficking, drug rape, cross dressing and an overall more violent undertone, yet it's all handled very cartoonish.

Overall a strange couple of chapters in terms of pacing but now it's heating up.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users