Malazan Empire: Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time - Malazan Empire

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Spoilers for all books, Spoilers unblocked and blatant

#41 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:17 AM

Yep Balefire is still known by some but most people have the brains not to start flinging it around.

How goes the progress? Book 4 is SUPER good! I assume you have started by now.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#42 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:47 AM

21 chapters into the fourth book, The Shadow Rising. I have to admit the first part of this book was worrying me, but it picked up after some time. After several random incidents where Mat got stabbed by cards, Perrin wrestled his own axe (is this metaphorical?) and Rand fought reflections of himself, including tiny reflections that came out of a bowl and thus caused me to thrash around laughing my head off while the main protagoist almost bleeds to death, stuff got going. Yet another Trolloc attack, and now I really have to question whether the people in the WoT world are all blind or not. Trollocs are like 12 feet tall and have animal heads. How did they get into the Stone of Tear without an alarm being raised as soon as they broke cover? Incidentally the mighty and impreganable Stone of Tear has fallen twice in 2 books now without much of a contest really. The only reason the Trollocs lost was because Rand brought up some type of universal Lightning storm.

Thankfully everything got settled and finally people are on the move again. Each group has its own destination set, Thom Merrilins return and active participation is much appreciated. What I really liked was the short section from the PoV of Moiraine. That is so rare and its very interesting to read. Seems the action will now shift to the geographical peripheries - islands in the Aryth Ocean and the Aiel Waste which is all good as they basically spent the first three books marching up and down the central continent.

One thing that struck me was the ease with which Lanfear/Selene basically comes and goes as she pleases. If all the Forsaken tried this Rand and Co. would be in deep deep trouble.
Another thing was Mat stepping into the doorframe to have his questions answered. I am pretty sure they answered four instead of the agreed upon three.
Now back to the book and the topless, channelling sailors of the Sea-Folk!!!!!Posted Image

#43 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

Yeah I believe those things are called bubbles of evil or some such. It's been awhile since I read.

Mat and the Aelfin/Elefin is a cool treat. Pay attention to it. My 1st read of bk4 was fucking awesome. I think you ll be in for a treat getting through it!

#44 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 September 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

Yeah I believe those things are called bubbles of evil or some such. It's been awhile since I read.

Mat and the Aelfin/Elefin is a cool treat. Pay attention to it. My 1st read of bk4 was fucking awesome. I think you ll be in for a treat getting through it!

I get the concept of Bubbles of Evil, that the Dark One is so powerful, the weakened seals let his influence cause fluctuations and stuff, but seriously RJ could have some up with a better name than "Bubbles of Evil"! Its a bit hard to take something like that seriously.

#45 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostAndorion, on 23 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

I get the concept of Bubbles of Evil, that the Dark One is so powerful, the weakened seals let his influence cause fluctuations and stuff, but seriously RJ could have some up with a better name than "Bubbles of Evil"! Its a bit hard to take something like that seriously.
Just think of them as 'anomalies' or 'disturbances in the Pattern' (though the latter does have me imagining some horrific WoT/Star Wars crossover).
I am the Onyx Wizards

#46 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 September 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Moiraine's rediscovery of Balefire struck me as just a bit too convenient and once more a Forsaken went out just that bit too easily. I understand Balefire is pretty much unstoppable, but I am pretty sure the heroes in the Age of Legends knew how to use it. The Forsaken survived them just fine.

If I remember correctly, the weave for Balefire is known but most Aes Sedai aren't strong enough in the power to weave it.

Going back to your observation about items holding power. I believe the context is holding the One Power. The Horn of Valere doesn't work on power (if I remember correctly).

I'm enjoying your thread, thanks.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#47 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 23 September 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 September 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Moiraine's rediscovery of Balefire struck me as just a bit too convenient and once more a Forsaken went out just that bit too easily. I understand Balefire is pretty much unstoppable, but I am pretty sure the heroes in the Age of Legends knew how to use it. The Forsaken survived them just fine.

If I remember correctly, the weave for Balefire is known but most Aes Sedai aren't strong enough in the power to weave it.

Going back to your observation about items holding power. I believe the context is holding the One Power. The Horn of Valere doesn't work on power (if I remember correctly).

I'm enjoying your thread, thanks.

I just assumed that all magic was done through the One Power, clearly thats not correct. And I am halfway into the 4th book and there are items of power basically littered all over the place, so I am going to ignore Moiraines early comment from now on.

#48 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostD, on 23 September 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 23 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Just think of them as 'anomalies' or 'disturbances in the Pattern' (though the latter does have me imagining some horrific WoT/Star Wars crossover).

If the Dark One or one of the Forsaken try to tell Rand "I am your Father"..............

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

Oh, you're almost at my fave book of the series, THE FIRES OF HEAVEN! Woot woot. That one will kick your ass with awesomeness.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#50 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

Just wait till you start seeing some of the Thread names getting used over and over. Jordan does have cringe worthy sayings through the course of books.

#51 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

QuickTidal said:

1411490641[/url]' post='1150640']
Oh, you're almost at my fave book of the series, THE FIRES OF HEAVEN! Woot woot. That one will kick your ass with awesomeness.

Word.

FoH is badassingness.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#52 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:59 AM

I get a kick out the speculation that one caused for yrs to come. No spoilers but damn that was trip.

#53 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:44 AM

Finished Shadow Rising. After a strange beginning, the book really got going and I think I like it the most. The infodumps in Rhuidean were very good, revealing some but not all (what is a jo-car) Rand is seeming more competent and stable than at anytime in the past. Mat is suddenly showing strategic competence, but my favourite storyline was Perrin and his defence of Two Rivers.

One question: does Nynaeves victory over the Forsaken show she is actually equal in terms of raw power? Just having trouble believing that. Egeanin was interesting, though I thought they trusted her too easily.

The scope of things greatly increased in this book and I think this where RJ decided to shift from a short series to an enormous one.

#54 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostAndorion, on 25 September 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

One question: does Nynaeves victory over the Forsaken show she is actually equal in terms of raw power? Just having trouble believing that. Egeanin was interesting, though I thought they trusted her too easily.
The power of the Forsaken compared to Third Age channellers lies in their greater understanding of the One Power, not in their greater inherent ability to channel. Variation in abiliity to channel has not changed since the Age of Legends. Nynaeve is at the high end of inherent channelling capacity. So yes, in terms of raw ability, she can match the Forsaken. What she lacks is their knowledge and finesse when it comes ot manipulating the One Power.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#55 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yea you could look at it like the Forsaken are Jedi Council lvl and the Third Age are like Padawan lvl.

#56 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:32 AM

Few chapters into Fires of Heaven. One thing is bothering me, not just in this book, but this is a running theme through all the books I have read. Its the way RJ depicts his female characters. Practically in any/every chapter featuring Nynaeve/Elaine/Egwene/Aviendha and sometimes Moiraine, and from the 4th book Min, Siuian, Leane, one or more of the women will turn up nude/spend some time nude OR there will be references, discussion to tight-fitting, figure-hugging, revealing dresses. Sometimes this is necessary as per the plot, like Leane and Gareth Bryne (I am pretty sure one element of that scene found its way into a BBC Sherlock episode) But most of the time it feels gratuitous, unnecessary and irritating. I don't know if this is just a personal quirk I have, or is this a general problem. Would appreciate some comments from those who have already read the series.

Also how did Couladin get the Dragon marks if he did not enter Rhuidean? even if he did, he isn't the Dragon Reborn, so how??

#57 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:37 AM

She's been on a bit of a hiatus for a while, but we have a member on here, Terez, who is not only the world's 4th biggest WoT fan, but is incredibly nice, patient and fully understanding of other people's perspective on it.

If she looks in, she may comment in this thread and be prepared for some serious thoroughness.

Anyways, she let me know that the women thing is a little bit of RJ's wish fulfillment getting onto the page. He was monogamous (and his wife his main editor), but probably had strong fantasies about a few more women being permanently in his life.

As for Couladin, I dunno. Someone else can take this question.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#58 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:57 AM

I thought this was stated in bk 4 but it maybe later in bk 5 in regards to the tats. So maybe a spoiler but it's not major.

If I remember correctly I thought it said Asmodean and Lanfear gave Couldin the tats. Then again that may not be fact and thus no help at all lol.

#59 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

Briar King said:

1411700263[/url]' post='1151104']
If I remember correctly I thought it said Asmodean and Lanfear gave Couldin the tats. Then again that may not be fact and thus no help at all lol.

That's what I remembered as well. Using the One power.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 26 September 2014 - 03:21 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#60 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:25 AM

Cool I thought so. They both had to use Saidar and Saidian to achieve it. Like I said I thought that was said in 4 but it could very well be later on in 5.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users