• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple Wood Work Prjects

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

I was thinking of trying to make the following. They see, simple enough, though maybe I am missing something.

http://pulp-shop.com...ucts/orgenaizer
https://www.kickstar...nd?ref=category

I will also try these

http://www.instructa...w-simple-boxes/

I found a lot of cool projects. Many call for tools that I don't have and won't for the foreseeable future

#22 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostCause, on 22 September 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

http://www.instructa...w-simple-boxes/

I found a lot of cool projects. Many call for tools that I don't have and won't for the foreseeable future

That in particular shows why you need clamps. I have a couple of the Irwin quick grips that he shows. They very nice and I use them a lot. But still prefer the pipe clamps for versatility.

http://www.harborfre...lamp-31255.html

And he brings up a good point: miter box with CF's hand saw is great. Simple and cheap. Gets the job done.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#23 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

http://img-9gag-lol....nXj1y5_700b.jpg

#24 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

Harbor Freight stuff is pretty cheap - watch out! Also Northern Tool has some junk to avoid.

www.rockler.com Rockler Woodworking

www.cpooutlets.com CPO

Both are good suppliers of tools that I do business with sometimes. There are a couple giant companies called Grainger & McMaster-Carr Supply that may come closer to shipping internationally, but I have no experience with that subject.

Edit: sorry, Gnaw, not trying to start a tool fight here.

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 23 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#25 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 23 September 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Harbor Freight stuff is pretty cheap - watch out! Also Northern Tool has some junk to avoid.

Edit: sorry, Gnaw, not trying to start a tool fight here.

Nothing to be sorry for. I agree. I linked to Harbor just because they were the first image to pop up in a search for 'pipe clamp'.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#26 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

http://9gag.com/gag/ag0LR6w

somebody make me this

#27 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

I'm getting into a couple of projects now - just starting out but once you build one thing, you find out how satisfying and mostly easy it is.

I recently ripped up a load of rotten decking, and pulled down the pergola above, as it was badly placed and getting tired, and I want to make my own. I've planned it and bought the timber, I just need to put it together so I'm researching joints.

When I've done that, if it goes well, I also want to build my own lean to/shed at the side of the house, and make my own timber gate for the opposite side.

I only really have the basic tools so far - drill, chisels, hand saw. What's the most useful powertool I could really use next? I've been looking at routers, circular saws and belt sanders as they all look like they will be immediately helpful.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#28 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

The last several years I've gotten back into doing some woodworking again. I taught myself to use a fair amount of my Dad's hand and power tools when I was a teen in West Virginia and whittled a good bit with my own knife. I've always loved bladed weapons and have done a couple swords and several daggers and /or knives over time. I've also made a nice shelf with trim around it for above the tv in the family room and headboards for both my kids that had compartments to house all their stuffed animals and castle-like "trim" around the top. I've made butterfly wall hangings as well that come out pretty nice. I was in construction most of my adult life and still like working with my hands. Two of the pieces I'm most proud of (I'm my own harshest critic by far) are weapons from the Wheel of Time series. I've made the dagger from Shadar Logoth (with the two snake heads with fangs out for the hilt/quillons) and Mat Cauthon's ashandarei, the spear with a short sword blade at the end instead of a normal spearhead. I also made a wall mount sword plaque for my WoT heron mark sword.

I consider myself a novice still but I'll echo what the others have said here about tools. I use a Black and Decker rotary tool a lot and just inherited a Dremel kit with everything, including the flex shaft that I haven't even gotten to try out yet. My mouse sander has been invaluable also for smaller projects. A compound mitre saw is a very nice tool to have. I would love to have a planer and a good table saw. A cordless and power circular saw are must haves at some point.

Do you all post pics of things you've done for admiration/constructive criticism, etc?

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 05 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

#29 User is offline   Ashes 

• Recruit

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

I can't stress enough the importance of a good set of chisels. I can't think of a single at home project I've done that I haven't pulled one out for something.

#30 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

Post some pics, Paran Falcon! Sounds like cool stuff.

#31 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:07 AM

I'd suggest resizing your photos :rolleyes: They're a bit massive, which makes it hard to appreciate their subjects.

If you upload them to imgur.com, and then check the Edit box, you can resize them with their web editor.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 09 May 2015 - 03:11 AM

#32 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:46 AM

Trying this again. Not sure the size will be reduced enough...

Posted Image

Actually worked great. Thanks Whisperzzzzzz!

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 12 May 2015 - 12:48 AM

#33 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

Better! These look awesome! Love the curves on the blades.

#34 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 May 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

Better! These look awesome! Love the curves on the blades.

Thanks! I'll post some others when I get a chance to do the same with them.

#35 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:16 AM

Finally got back around to uploading properly sized pics.

Posted Image

From the Wheel of Time, Mat Cauthon's ashandarei in progress

Posted Image

The ashandarei completed. Unfortunately you can't really see the engraving down the haft.

Posted Image

A shelf I made for above the tv in the family room.

#36 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

I love the simplicity of the blades (though you say there's engraving on the ashandarei, but I can't make it out)! And that's a nice looking shelf too :)

#37 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 02 June 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

I love the simplicity of the blades (though you say there's engraving on the ashandarei, but I can't make it out)! And that's a nice looking shelf too :)

Thanks very much! It's hard to get any detail of the engraving on the ashandarei haft and get the whole thing in the pic as well. I may have a pic of part of the haft with the quote carved in before staining that is legible. The engraving runs about 3/4 of the haft. It says: "Thus is our treaty written; thus is agreement made. Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades. What was asked is given; the price is paid." There is also a raven engraved at the beginning and end of the quote, similar to the ones at the tip of each side of the blade. I wanted to use my wood burning pen to do the blade ravens but I wasn't confident enough that I wouldn't mess it up so I used a black fine tipped marker and polyurethaned over it. The engraving on the haft had me petrified; it was the first time I'd tried to do anything like that with my rotary tool and one mistake would've ruined it, imo. I managed to pull it off though.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users