Malazan Empire: The Blade of Bone - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

The Blade of Bone Spoilers for Assail

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostHetan (Also Actually Probably Mal), on 05 September 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Rake's hair turned white after he received the blessing of MD. However T'riss said to him before he went in to see MD "Night will claim your skin.....But I will make visible the defiance within you, as a gift", and once he had seen MD, Emral "gasped upon seeing not the ebon hue of his skin, but the silver sheen of his hair". Which suggests this was how T'riss had marked him, which is followed up by MD sighing and saying that he ever troubled her.

Interesting. Assuming it is Rake that has been reborn, this would now make more sense. One could hypothesize that a gift or curse from an Elder God is likely to remain even when the soul is reborn.

#22 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Since Rake is part of Kurald Galain now (rather than not existing at all, oblivion), then the streaks of silver in Jethiss's hair is likely to be his personal blessing in agreement w/ MD about Spinnock's worthiness in the role.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

so you've received an advance copy as well? :D

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 05 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostFuzzy Puppy of High House Decay, on 05 September 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Since Rake is part of Kurald Galain now (rather than not existing at all, oblivion), then the streaks of silver in Jethiss's hair is likely to be his personal blessing in agreement w/ MD about Spinnock's worthiness in the role.

Because he's worth it?

#25 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:55 AM

Is that a L'oreal joke?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:08 AM

Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline?

This post has been edited by Aptabulous Maximus: 06 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

#27 User is offline   The Old Guard 

• Recruit

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostAptabulous Maximus, on 06 September 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

Maybe it's Maybelline?

Or maybe it's not

#28 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

Spammers! Do not lose sight of the point Hetan has made!

#29 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

I have not lost sight of that, but then I am still busy cringing at the (paraphrased) "we had a magic sword, we don't have one now, we need a magic sword" part of the book's ending.

#30 User is offline   Iamme 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Rake's silver hair camefrom Queen of Dreams. That was his way of showing defiance since his hair used to be black before his skin changed from white to black. His children inherited white hair. No other Andii had white hair. It is not related at all to one being "son of darkness". Silchas was albino. Also this Jethiss was a mage? Ruin is very much alive. So is Anomander's son. Where exactly this Jethiss fits in Tiste society? Spinnock morphing into Jethiss would never fly amongst Tiste.

#31 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:48 PM

Morphing? No. Life ended then soul going back to Kurald Galain and mother dark, then being reborn (water!) to fulfill a role that gives the Andii something to cling to dogmatically? Absolutely acceptable.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#32 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

The POINT in all this is that ICE made a point of suggesting that white/silver hair is rare or even unheard of among the Andii and that is utterly refuted by the following:

'Tiste Andii hair was either silver-white or midnight black.'(DG, UK MMPB, p.335)

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 19 September 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

The POINT in all this is that ICE made a point of suggesting that white/silver hair is rare or even unheard of among the Andii and that is utterly refuted by the following:

'Tiste Andii hair was either silver-white or midnight black.'(DG, UK MMPB, p.335)

We have to remember who our sources are. The source in this context is Kulp. Looking up the excerpt, I get the impression that Kulp mainly (only?) knows about Andii from the Empires dealings with Drift Avalii. An island housing a bunch of descendans of Anomander Rake.

The logic would be that:

Children of Rake and their descendants = White hair. There could be dozens, hundreds or even thousands of them depending upon how many children Rake's get had.

Children of all other Andii = Black hair, perhaps with various undertones maybe from breeding with Edur/Liosan/non-Tiste species.

#34 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

yeah, maybe but the context in which Kulp tells us that suggests that what he's saying is common knowledge so I'm not buying it.

#35 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

Its obviously Rake. No other Andii had white hair that had a title bestowed by mother dark. Besides, Durav is prolly sitting somewhere paralyzed by his monuemental insecurity complex and constant second guessing of himself.

#36 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Just be thankful it's not Clip...

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostNefaraisBredd, on 04 October 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

Its obviously Rake. No other Andii had white hair that had a title bestowed by mother dark.

So she can't bestow the title more than once why?

As for the hair, Rake's white hair was caused by magic, courtesy of the QoD.
No reason MD or another ascendant couldn't reproduce the same effect.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

It's Rake, because why else have all the mystery? It's just too on the nose - white hair, magic sword, protecting his people, reborn Andii from a great battle involving a sword involving Darkness OH COME ON IT'S OBVIOUSLY NEW RAKE

I'd have rather had it be, say, that sibling of Nimander's who dies during TTH, perhaps. On a related note, where did Orfantal get buried?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 October 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

It's Rake, because why else have all the mystery? It's just too on the nose - white hair, magic sword, protecting his people, reborn Andii from a great battle involving a sword involving Darkness OH COME ON IT'S OBVIOUSLY NEW RAKE

Assume the white hair is a dedication to Rake, and everything else fits as much for Spin as Rake.

I'd have rather had it be, say, that sibling of Nimander's who dies during TTH, perhaps. On a related note, where did Orfantal get buried?

I like the notion of it being Nenanda, but it seems unlikely.

Last we saw of Orfantal, alive or dead, was when Kallor stabbed him in the head in TtH.
Given soletaken eleint power levels, it's not unthinkable that he lived and was still recovering as of the Andii dragon attack in TCG. Unlikely, maybe, but not unthinkable.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#40 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

I haven't read Assail yet but I am totally fascinated by the discussion about this Jethiss character...

I don't want it to be Rake. If Rake comes back than there really is no 'death' in the Malazan world anymore. It would be too much of... well, everything. Given that, I just can't see the authors going for this option. The reference to 'Son of Darkness' seems to support that in that it infers that whereas the title could once (in Rake's case) be taken more literally it is now definitely just an honorific in truth.

Spinnock... yeah, from all the excerpts people have been posting, he does sound like the most likely candidate. I don't think that we should put too much emphasis on Kef Tanar though. After all, it was a game played by probably the vast majority of the Tiste Andiie and as such, over the span of millennia, they must have played all of each other to a standstill more than once.

Something I feel speaks in favour of Spinnock is that he seems to be developing into a major player in SE's trilogy...

Others that might be in the running...

I keep thinking the priest in Black Coral... and I can't remember his name... he turns up in FoD as well... he was pretty close to AR...

Then there is Morn... he was called by Orchid... is she the 'voice from the Eternal Night'?

And to add to the intrigue...

Is it just my imagination or is Jethiss how someone with a bad lisp might pronounce Jesus... in which case... guess it's Rake after all. Amen

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users