Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading before TtH Possible Spoilers ??

#1 User is offline   SalaZin 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

First off, I haven't read TtH so please don't spoil anything from it. I'm having trouble reading this book. I had taken a short break from the Malazan series after finishing RG (was reading Bridge of Birds for a change of pace ^^) and decided to start RoTCG. I'm about half way through chapter 2; and as sad as it is, I just can't see myself pulling through this book. I'm starting to lose interest in the series as a whole, and that worries me cuz I've loved SE's novels so far.

How important is the book to SE's main series? Will I be missing anything that'd prevent my enjoyment for the main series? And if there is anything really worthwhile, is it possible for someone to highlight the important bits? I wouldn't mind being spoiled for it. I'm quite sure there's no way I'll be capable of getting through any of Ghelel's sections. Kiska was painful enough and Kyle is already beginning to grate on me...

PS. Sorry if I've offended anyone who's enjoyed the book.

#2 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

The events are of really minor influence for erikson's novels and are often not even mentioned or slightly hinted at. So you wouldn't miss anything if you skipped RotCG. I had the same trouble with it. Especially the first 3/4 of the book I think.
The events in the end are worth reading, because there is a large battle. You don't really need the rest of the book to read its conclusion I think.

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

You don't really need the rest of the book to read its conclusion I think.

I also highly recommend watching the last 10 minutes of Citizen Kane, eating just the crust of a pie and flying back from Hawaii.

RotCG isn't the best book ever written but it has important themes that run throughout ICe's books. And hey, if you don't like a character, the great thing is, ICE writes books with MORE than one.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

If you don't care about spoilers then I suppose you can just continue on with SE's books and enjoy them just fine

#5 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 12 August 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

I also highly recommend watching the last 10 minutes of Citizen Kane, eating just the crust of a pie and flying back from Hawaii.

RotCG isn't the best book ever written but it has important themes that run throughout ICe's books. And hey, if you don't like a character, the great thing is, ICE writes books with MORE than one.

Don't get me wrong. I've read the ICE books and they are good. Not as good as Erikson, but still interesting. Some characters in Blood and Bone made me laugh as I did with Tehol and Bugg. What I was trying to say, was that if you are already tired after a few chapters, it might be possible to skip the whole book or read the end or find a summary on the internet. It's not that I recommend these options, but the book does not contain important information for TTH.

#6 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

View Postkoehkont, on 12 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong. I've read the ICE books and they are good. Not as good as Erikson, but still interesting. Some characters in Blood and Bone made me laugh as I did with Tehol and Bugg. What I was trying to say, was that if you are already tired after a few chapters, it might be possible to skip the whole book or read the end or find a summary on the internet. It's not that I recommend these options, but the book does not contain important information for TTH.

No, there's not really important info, but there are threads with big connections. And if its enough to not even mention here in this forum, then that makes it something. Also, so much of ICE and SE's world is filled in by offhand dialog and setting description that if you really, really like this series, you may not want to miss that. My advice is to read the whole book, then read it again. Then one more time just for good measure.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#7 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 12 August 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

View Postkoehkont, on 12 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

No, there's not really important info, but there are threads with big connections. And if its enough to not even mention here in this forum, then that makes it something. Also, so much of ICE and SE's world is filled in by offhand dialog and setting description that if you really, really like this series, you may not want to miss that. My advice is to read the whole book, then read it again. Then one more time just for good measure.

It's funny to say that, but he stated that continuing to read ICE would likely drive him away from the Malazan universe altogether which is worse and just skipping ICE.

To be honest I can't recommend reading a book you don't enjoy, just get the cliff notes from somewhere on the internet if you really feel you need them, but from what I have read on the forums ICE and SE generally tend to stay in their own areas within the Malazan universe. You will miss out on the world building, and the development of certain secondary characters from SE books which are ICE's toys the play with.

TL;DR: You won't miss anything critical which would change how you percieve the SE books or storylines from ICE.

#8 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

View PostInane Babble, on 12 August 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

It's funny to say that, but he stated that continuing to read ICE would likely drive him away from the Malazan universe altogether which is worse and just skipping ICE.

I'm willing to to double down on the likelihood that once finished with RotCG he will continue to read all the Malazan books, regardless of a few circumspect characters.

#9 User is offline   Twisty 

• Recruit

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

Sorry about the thread necro (not that it's that old) but I'm just reading RotCG for the third time and it really picks up in the re-read. I started reading about the Malazan world by reading NoK then this, and I was like 'what the hell is going on???' so I found MBotF. However, when I came back to it, it all made sense.

Now, having finished all of SE's and ICE's books, I'm amazed. People go on about SE's foreshadowing in future books, but in this book ICE hints at Stonewielder, BaB and Assail, deals with what I consider to be a major plot event for his series in his own right (you know, THE spoiler of the book) and gives us a heap of awesome info about the Malazan Empire and Quon Tali itself, not to mention the Old Guard. Also, I've found on this re-read that all parts are interesting, even Ghelel who is never seen again. I find it all really well done, and for those who complain ICE's books are too short, I'm pretty sure this is his longest.

OK, so clearly i have a soft spot for RotCG, but my point is...read it once, for its own sake (not for info for MBotF) and then when you come back for a re-read after finishing ICE's series, you'll appreciate it much more strongly.

#10 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:24 PM

Spam ^

(Why is there no post report button on mobile?)

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 11:03 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 17 May 2022 - 09:24 PM, said:

Spam ^

(Why is there no post report button on mobile?)

MODGOD DESTROY
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users