Malazan Empire: Refresher before Assail - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

Refresher before Assail

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Can anyone think of things i should remember prior to reading Assail when it comes out? I would love to re-read the books for my refresher course for the book, but i just had twins and reading time is limited. Any info would be awesome.

#2 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Well, this is asking a lot.

- Crimson Guard: Iron Bars and his Blade made a brave escape, but left behind Cal-Brinn and some others.
- The name of the continent hints at something.
- "Not Jaghut...human." - Lanas Tog to Silverfox, Silverfox and the T'lan with their memories restored are headed there
- Stalker, Badlands and Coots (The Lost Brothers) are from there, as is rumored to be Fisher; and all of them seem to be larger than the average human.
- Kyle is from Bael, the southern portion of the greater landmass
- "Wrecker's Coast"
- Rake sent Spinnock Durav there to investigate it and he barely escaped.

That's about all I can remember from previous books. Anyone else...?

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Cotillion is really spooked about Assail. A reference to the Tyrants who think wholesale fighting and slaughter is just a game. And this is the Rope we are talking about.

#4 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Thanks fellas, I am leaning more and more towards just re reading the previous book in this line to be able to keep up with what is going to be coming. Was expecting Fall of light to come out next for some reason.

#5 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

So far in my read of Assail, not much other than the Crimson Guard - who are mentioned in the Assail DP - carry over from BaB.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#6 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 25 July 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

So far in my read of Assail, not much other than the Crimson Guard - who are mentioned in the Assail DP - carry over from BaB.

are you just reading released chapters or have you somehow obtained the full book?

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

He got a reviewers copy

#8 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

god damn cheater.

That is pretty awesome though, ANd he does answer almost all my questions on here, so if anyone deserves it i guess its him...

#9 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Lol. My copy lacks a map, if that assuages any bad feelings. And i plan on reviewing it, although whether or not anyone outside of here cares remains to be seen.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Two more...

- In TtH Endest Silann and Caladan Brood have a discussion about Assail and some ancient conflict still playing out there.

- In TB Apsalar warns Paran that there are two continents dangerous for ascendants. 7C is one, the implication is that Assail is the other.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 July 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Two more...

- In TtH Endest Silann and Caladan Brood have a discussion about Assail and some ancient conflict still playing out there.

- In TB Apsalar warns Paran that there are two continents dangerous for ascendants. 7C is one, the implication is that Assail is the other.

Does she know that through her contact with the rope?

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

View Posttheocean, on 30 July 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

Two more...

i want to say yes but by that point she was working as an agent for ST/Cots so it could have been something she learned along the way.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 July 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

View Posttheocean, on 30 July 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

Two more...

i want to say yes but by that point she was working as an agent for ST/Cots so it could have been something she learned along the way.

She says that one of the two places is her knowledge, the other is Cotillion's. I think we can safely assume that Seven Cities is her own given the events of DG.

Does she actually say "continents" though? 7C isn't even half of a continent. Of course the implication is still that the other is Assail, but depending on the phrasing it could easily be a lot of places, too, and we're just assuming. Shal-Morzinn and eastern Jacuruku are pretty dangerous for Ascendants too, you know!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

book store just called and told me i can come pick up the book whenever... Gotta wait till saturday but was overly excited so had to share.

#15 User is offline   S Ruin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

View Posttheocean, on 31 July 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

book store just called and told me i can come pick up the book whenever... Gotta wait till saturday but was overly excited so had to share.

what bookstore? in the UK?

#16 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

No the us... supposed to be out tuesday but they called today that it was in

#17 User is offline   S Ruin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

View Posttheocean, on 01 August 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:

No the us... supposed to be out tuesday but they called today that it was in

damnation

#18 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I know couldnt believe they called so early

#19 User is offline   Gorgon 

• Recruit

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Checked waterstones today. They don't have it in. They also don't have a release Date for it. Sometimes i worry about specialty shops showing a lack of knowledge in their specialty
Very well, permit me if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more.

#20 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that Amazon US has started shipping Assail yesterday. . .

It's the first time the USA is getting the book out before the UK!

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users