Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 5 - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#201 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 20 May 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 20 May 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Technically they are already married; they just have to reunite and consummate. In the books, anyway. That's what I hate most about the Ramsay marriage; I have thought for a long time that Tyrion would end up on the throne with Sansa his queen. It would fit a lot of foreshadowing, and we all know Tyrion is GRRM's favorite. Ramsay officially has to be unwound; Harry the Heir hasn't happened yet.

answer me this. If tyrion is Grrm favourite, what is the point of his kidanapping arc. Nothing happens. I thought tyrion would be teaming up with the targaryen prince and lay down the law on the seven kingdoms. Instead he gets dragged across in a circus troup to accomplish... What exactly?

I think, in the books at least, they are putting Tyrion in a place to find his missing uncle Gerion (and possibly Brightroar).
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#202 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

I'm really wondering what Yara is gonna be doing on the show in her episodes. At the very least Balon has got to finally kick the bucket right? I thought maybe they'd send her east instead of the uncle, but now I'm not so sure.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#203 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:39 PM

Maybe she'll get kidnapped like she did in the books.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#204 User is offline   Kartoolian Spider Squisher 

• Recruit

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostTerez, on 22 May 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Maybe she'll get kidnapped like she did in the books.

She got taken hostage in the books, trying to ride back to her longship after the Iron Born lost Deepwood Motte to Stannis.
There is a line before me that demarcates where you stop being treated as citizens and start being treated as soldiers. It is a line only I can see and I swear until all of you--once you cross it you have declared War. Against your city, against your government, and against Me. And make no mistake: I Love to fight Wars.

Ares, God of War

#205 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Yes, that's what I meant. It was the envoy from the Iron Bank who paid her ransom and took her to Stannis.

There it is.

#206 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Ah, totally forgot about that.

#207 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

Which one? Aemon was sped up, Cersei was already on full speed, and Tyrion was sped up. So much for the gag photo theory; now we take bets on whether Dany decides to have Jorah killed.

Loved Bronn and Tyene. She saved him!

There it is.

#208 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

Damn, that was a good episode! Every scene was on point (though the scene with the sand snakes was eh).

#209 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:49 AM

I'm guessing Stannis will send Melisandre back to the Wall on account of Shireen. That will put Melisandre in place to do her thing when Jon gets stabbed....and will probably also lead to the death of Stannis, not that Melisandre will care once she starts seeing Jon in her fires.

There it is.

#210 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:33 AM

Did the witch in season 1 give Dany the same curse as in the books? Curious if they will do the whole thing with Drogon and the other Khal. I don't think Bronn's weakening was sudden so much as boner-induced. It probably works faster on people who are naturally hot-headed instead of cool as a cucumber. Anyway, if there was a weak scene it was probably Jaime and Myrcella. What was that, one page of script including stage directions? I guess it got the point across, but it was clunky. Up north was all pretty good stuff. As much as it sucks for Sansa, so glad they didn't deprogram Reek with one pep talk. I got some slight flashbacks to that scene where Joffrey took her out on the balcony to see her dad's head, and she's tempted to push him. I think this might be leading up to her actually "pushing" Ramsay, whatever form it takes. As far as Littlefinger goes, this might be too obvious, but last week he told Cersei to go ahead and let her enemies take each other out. It appears he is doing just that, except with everybody on the continent.

#211 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:47 AM

Also while I'm not counting on it, I do think it'd be cool if Jaime has that moment where he sees the snow falling in Dorne rather than King's Landing.

#212 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

View Postworry, on 25 May 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

Did the witch in season 1 give Dany the same curse as in the books?

What curse is that? The whole "when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east" thing? The curse part being that she will never have children again? That was in the show; I just rewatched it.

View Postworry, on 25 May 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

Curious if they will do the whole thing with Drogon and the other Khal.

Based on the title of ep 9, it does seem likely she'll take off on Drogon. And if the Dothraki play any part in GRRM's plans for Dany at all (which seems likely) then I don't think the show will skip it, since it's an element they've already developed.

There it is.

#213 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

Yah, that curse, but the part about the sea drying up (ie the Dothraki "sea"). So yah, hope to see it.

#214 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

Okay, must admit, that last episode was very good. I have still hope for this season.

#215 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 May 2015 - 02:35 AM, said:

Ed though that was very cheesy having him collapse cause his strength is sapped suddenly and then her saying here catch this don't drop it! Lol

Ed2 shit I just thought that they maybe mergeing Bronn and Oakheart arc. Fuck I hope not cause Bronn is balling.

I think there's a merging of Bronn/Oakheart and Tyene/Arianne there. Bit cheesy but entertaining enough scene.

The Sansa scene was pretty much as I'd predicted - there was no way Theon could snap out that quickly.

Aemon was sad, but then it was sad (if not unexpected) in the books too.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#216 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

"Egg, I dreamed that I was old." So much impact in one small line. Absolutely kills me every time.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#217 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

The Sand Snakes continue to be the LVPs of the show, though I agree this ep was a marked improvement over last week.

Does anyone else agree that Theon/the Greyjoy's music is probably the best "character theme" of the show?

Am I totally blind for having no idea what "strapping young man" Littlefinger was referring to at the end of his convo with Lady Olenna?

Overall, I'm finding myself with a lot of questions and rethinking a lot of assumptions about the show this season. I am very squarely in the camp of avid book fan but non book purist. On the other hand, I do find that the show is losing serious momentum this season and making more missteps than ever before, and I wonder if it's for one of the following reasons or a combination thereof:

REASON #1: The show is suffering because it's going off script/because it's being forced to voyage beyond written ASoIaF material.
WHY THIS SCARES ME: It would mean that D&D have far less of a grasp/were given far less info from GRRM on where the broader story is headed than I initially thought and as such seasons 6 & 7 are going to be a garbled, bastardized mess when compared to books 6 & 7, in the final estimation.

REASON #2: The show is suffering because it's struggling to adapt material from books 4 and 5 that's (on the whole) pretty subpar compared to material from books 1-3 it was adapting for seasons 1-3.
WHY THIS SCARES ME: It doesn't, really. At that point I start to feel the same way about the remainder of the show that I feel about TWoW and ADoS: anxiously hoping we're through the semi-troubled midpoint and "back on the rails."

REASON #3: It's only natural that any show have a weaker season or two and completely realistic that it will peak again rather than continuing to decline (see SOPRANOS, SIX FEET UNDER, and surely a few others that I can't think of right now.)
WHY THIS SCARES ME: Again, it doesn't, really. And I think it's almost certainly far less reason #3 than it is 1 or 2 or a combination thereof.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#218 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 26 May 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

Am I totally blind for having no idea what "strapping young man" Littlefinger was referring to at the end of his convo with Lady Olenna?

Posted Image

There it is.

#219 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

REASON #2: The show is suffering because it's struggling to adapt material from books 4 and 5 that's (on the whole) pretty subpar compared to material from books 1-3 it was adapting for seasons 1-3.
WHY THIS SCARES ME: It doesn't, really. At that point I start to feel the same way about the remainder of the show that I feel about TWoW and ADoS: anxiously hoping we're through the semi-troubled midpoint and "back on the rails."

I think this is almost certainly the reason. Books 4 and 5 don't have a lot to go on...so they've had to pick and choose the stuff they know (VIA GRRM telling them how the story goes) is important and move forward with that, and then start to mash that up with the stuff book readers don't know yet. As a result this season was always going to be uneven. I think the strength of the show in this season has been that they are aware which characters need more bolstering or growth or just plain more depth as characters to entertain us...which pays off for us, eg. Stannis talking to Shireen, Bronn in Dorne, or more recently Sam facing off with Ghost against assclown Night's Watch. There's a cognizant push with characters we love to be front and center doing things we want them to do.

I think everyone who read the books spent SO long wanting the Stark kids to cross paths again, to help each other, to vanquish the baddies who had done their family wrong...and it never really happened (except near misses, like Bran meeting Sam) So HBO gives us stuff like, Brienne is now outside Winterfell and as a viewer/fan we get to think "maybe she'll get a chance to wade in there and kick some Bolton ass".

At least that's how I see it. So while the overall subject matter of the plotlines for AFFC/ADWD (the cleanup after ASOS, and the subsequent insane power vacuum, and all the meandering plots) is not any roaring hell...HBO is giving us more of other things we've not had the pleasure of in the books. I'm glad that Tyrion is now with Dany, for example. Eliminate the froth from his plotline and let's get this show on the road. And in episode 7 they've done just that.

EDIT: Benioff from EW about Tyrion and Dany meeting already.

Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen. They’re two of the best characters of the show. To have them come so close together this season then have them not meet felt incredibly frustrating. Also, we’re on a relatively fast pace. We don’t want to do a 10-year adaptation of the books, we don’t want to do a nine-year adaptation. We’re not going to spend four seasons in Meereen. It’s time for these two to get together. It’s hard to come up with a more eloquent explanation, but this just felt right. [Varys] puts Tyrion’s mission out there [in the season premiere] and the mission ends in Meereen.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#220 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

The Sand Snakes continue to be the LVPs of the show

Those boobs tho

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply