Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

The following is actually kind of on topic, so here goes

View PostTattersail_, on 15 July 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

That is awesome. I bet you are very pleased you got to do that. Have many other people? You think anything else will come of WoT?

Terez is something like the fourth biggest WoT fan in the world. This is quantifiable and she really is that deep in the WoT world. I respect her considerably for putting in that much work and being friendly around here and elsewhere.

Werthead is pretty deep in the ASoIaF world, not quite as deep as Terez is in her preferred milieu, but enough to work tangentially with GRRM on a couple projects.

What this kind of points to is that there is a small to largish group of people who see the "behind the scenes" stuff and have some small input on what goes forwards and out to the public for our consumption. GRRM's is kinda big in comparison to RJ's or Erikson's. I'm curious as to what the alpha/beta group looks like for the writers of the show, as they have far more human moving parts and considerations to deal with than GRRM.

Is there a possible ASoIaF guru for the show that could be influential in the determination of what gets chopped out from the books and what goes on-screen?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#22 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Terez is something like the fourth biggest WoT fan in the world. This is quantifiable...

Who are the first three? :(

Werthead is pretty deep in the ASoIaF world, not quite as deep as Terez is in her preferred milieu, but enough to work tangentially with GRRM on a couple projects.

Oh, I don't know, he's deeper than I am in many respects. He founded or cofounded the Wiki and he's been on con panels with celebrities. Brandon shouts me out every now and then but I've never been on a panel with him, and when RJ died I had never even been to a con. I only started reading WoT in 2001, and I didn't discover the internet until late 2004. I just absorbed WoT really quickly and intensely. Many had done the same before me; it's difficult to keep up for more than, say, 5 or 10 years. There's a famous programmer named Erica Sadun, for example, who used to be in the top handful of WoT fans back in the day; she eventually found better stuff to do. Leigh Butler is from that same era, and when she came back to WoT for the Tor reread, she had forgotten a lot.

One interesting thing I saw in RJ's personal notes, a to-do list of non-work-related stuff, was that he wanted to find some books on script-writing. That was in the late 80s, I think; by the time Universal bought the rights, he had probably given up on that idea.

Is there a possible ASoIaF guru for the show that could be influential in the determination of what gets chopped out from the books and what goes on-screen?

Wertsignal engaged.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#23 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm not expecting much from season 5, honestly. There's not a whole lot of awesome scenes left to pull from the books. And D&D, while they are really good at some of the changes they make, they tend to make some nonsensical decisions when given too much freedom. Plus we lost Charles Dance, who probably had the best stage presence of any actor in the show. His absense will leave hole.

#24 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

My memory isn't great, but this is an older posts from 2 years ago with theory on who Jon's parents were.

View PostBrujah, on 13 June 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Spoiler

So here is a basis for the rumors.

View PostBrujah, on 13 June 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Yeah, so many possibilities.
Spoiler

Crazy.

Then there was , I believe, the posts about Dany seeing the Blue Rose blooming from Ice when she was in the house of the undying, which some said this could mean Jon was Lyanna's, since she was given blue roses by Rhaegar at the tourney. I can't remember exactly.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 15 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#25 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

For the record, Darkstar is too old to be Ned's. GRRM confirmed he was late 20s, and Ned was mid-30s when he died. Of course, he was aged up in the show as his children were.

There it is.

#26 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostTerez, on 15 July 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Leigh Butler is from that same era, and when she came back to WoT for the Tor reread, she had forgotten a lot.

Well this solves my own internal mystery of whether or not Terez is Leigh Butler.

One of my favorite ASoIF theories is that Oberyn had already poisoned Tywin long before Tyrion shot him on the shitter. Here's a great link to some of the evidence (and I recommend bookmarking that website cuz its awesome and the guy's a HUGE Bowie fan).

Also, I posted this link in another post, but I'll do it here too because it also is awesome. But this motherfucker has written some damn fine essays on ADwD that completely turned around my previous (read: very unsatisfied) impressions of that book. If they can replicate some of the concepts that are clearly spelled out there on the show, then I could definitely enjoy the Meereen plot, and would love to see some of it unfold in S5, at least up to the point where Quentyn gets fired and Dany takes a ride out of there.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 15 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#27 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Not really. GRRM has his say and Ran and Linda (from Westeros.org) have theirs, but D&D tend to go with their own decisions on what stays in and what goes out, even when that backfires (like we saw in Season 3 with the sudden introduction of Brynden and Edmure and the back-pedalling on the Tully storyline because D&D hadn't introduced them earlier). Someone who is quite important in that process is Bryan Cogman, the co-associate producer and a writer on the show who carries out the initial summarising of each book and doing the breakdowns of what plot elements should be in and what should be out. D&D have the final say, but Cogman is highly influential. It's also worth noting that he tends to focus on bringing backstory elements and doing things that flesh out the world and cultures to the fore, and his episodes tend to be great for that kind of stuff whilst not going overboard on exposition.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#28 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Apparently I'm not the only one thinking about Bran's potential. From an interview with Sean Bean in Vulture:

Vulture said:

Vulture: Since you're almost done shooting Legends, that might mean you have a window in your schedule if Game of Thrones needs you back. There are flashbacks that they could be doing for season five ...
Bean: [Excited] Are they? Really?
Vulture: I could be wrong, but I think they might show flashbacks via Bran's connection to the heart trees.
Bean: Oh, yeah, yeah! And I'm his father, so that would be great fun! Just to go back to that for a while, it would be such fun to do. It would be great! It would be bizarre, but it would be great! So I guess if they're going to do flashbacks, then yeah!
Vulture: Well, it's just my theory ...
Bean: But it's a good theory! And that should happen, shouldn't it? I've definitely got some unfinished business that needs to be resolved there. I'm obviously not Jon Snow's dad. And you need that to be revealed at some point, don't you? So Bran would kind of be the one having the flashback, and he would see Ned praying, right? And revealing those things? You never know what those guys are going to do with that. It's got to be something special. But I'm into that. I certainly would be into that. Print that! Give them a nudge. [Laughs.] Hopefully I'll get a call soon.

Of course, they're probably going to want younger actors for any flashbacks.

There it is.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostTerez, on 18 July 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Apparently I'm not the only one thinking about Bran's potential. From an interview with Sean Bean in Vulture:

Vulture said:

Vulture: Since you're almost done shooting Legends, that might mean you have a window in your schedule if Game of Thrones needs you back. There are flashbacks that they could be doing for season five ...
Bean: [Excited] Are they? Really?
Vulture: I could be wrong, but I think they might show flashbacks via Bran's connection to the heart trees.
Bean: Oh, yeah, yeah! And I'm his father, so that would be great fun! Just to go back to that for a while, it would be such fun to do. It would be great! It would be bizarre, but it would be great! So I guess if they're going to do flashbacks, then yeah!
Vulture: Well, it's just my theory ...
Bean: But it's a good theory! And that should happen, shouldn't it? I've definitely got some unfinished business that needs to be resolved there. I'm obviously not Jon Snow's dad. And you need that to be revealed at some point, don't you? So Bran would kind of be the one having the flashback, and he would see Ned praying, right? And revealing those things? You never know what those guys are going to do with that. It's got to be something special. But I'm into that. I certainly would be into that. Print that! Give them a nudge. [Laughs.] Hopefully I'll get a call soon.

Of course, they're probably going to want younger actors for any flashbacks.

If they brought back Sean Bean, he'd probably die again.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 July 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

If they brought back Sean Bean, he'd probably die again.

This time by being fired from a catapult - don't think he's died that way yet.
meh. Link was dead :(

#31 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Casting news:

Jonathan Pryce will play the High Septon. And Alexander Siddig will play Prince Doran Martell (amongst other casting announcements, check the link).

A massive change to the story:

Spoiler

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#32 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

Oh dear.

There it is.

#33 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:50 AM

It's now shooting, so unless they move Connington/Young Griff to people wandering around Westeros, they're out. Wow. That doesn't bode well for how the TV writing staff/decision makers view large pieces of Dance of Dragons.

I still think Martin takes eight to finish.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#34 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

Maybe they'll just cut out Connington/Griff ever being on-screen in Esteros and ever meeting Tyrion or other main characters, but Connington/Griff will suddenly show up in Westeros with an invasion force in season 6. Basically, they cut out all the talky slow-reveal bits in Esteros and thereby can delay casting and paying those characters by a season...?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#35 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostD, on 26 July 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Maybe they'll just cut out Connington/Griff ever being on-screen in Esteros and ever meeting Tyrion or other main characters, but Connington/Griff will suddenly show up in Westeros with an invasion force in season 6. Basically, they cut out all the talky slow-reveal bits in Esteros and thereby can delay casting and paying those characters by a season...?

In some ways I don't think this is entirely a bad thing. From memory (only read it once, and some time ago) nothing much happens in their Essos chapters
Spoiler
- if they're trimming the fat for the show so to speak I don't think it needs all those dialogues. Maybe Illyrio will drop hints to Tyrion as a forerunner for them showing up in Season 6?

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 29 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#36 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm wondering if Illyrio will even be cast this season. They made no mention of him, and I don't think we have seen Illyrio since season 1, so it should warrant an announcement of a returning actor or a recast.

I am guessing they're saving the Griff plotline for season 6. It would be very odd for them to cut it altogether, especially seeing as how Aegon's importance is as yet unknown. At least with Quentyn, we understand that it's not a terribly crucial plotline. Maybe after the Myrcella thing falls through, they'll send Trystane after Dany's hand? Apparently Cersei sends Jamie to Dorne to fetch Myrcella...but if Trystane dies, then Doran has no heir, since they apparently cut both Arianne and Quentyn.

There it is.

#37 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

I'd be very disappointed if the Kingsmoot and Euron are not in the series. I'm a fan of House Greyjoy, and I don't much like only including Theon and Asha...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#38 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

I am not a big fan of House Greyjoy, but I do like Victarion. He's like the puppydog of the Greyjoy family. Also, his story seems to be important, and while it's possible he's fated to be a dud like Quentyn, the whole everyone-is-chasing-Dany theme does add a certain gravitas to her situation.

There it is.

#39 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:42 AM

Bran will not be in season 5:

https://au.news.yaho...themed-dj-tour/

Cersei's walk of shame will be in season 5, after a battle with the Croatian government:

http://www.idigitalt...onal-pressure-0

There it is.

#40 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

So, guess no flashbacks, even through weirwood.net?

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users