• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan in Lego Characters as Lego minifigures

#1 User is offline   Aetol Fletch 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

In one of my fits of college-induced boredom, I decided to recreate some of my favorite characters from the book series with Lego Digital Designer. Soon I sort of got addicted to it... I've only created a small portion of the characters in Erikson's huge dramatis personae, but who's to say I can't make more? I'll post pictures of the minifigures I created (ranging from cute to hilarious or both) in the OP. Feel free to post your own Malazan Lego creations (or just anything Lego you come up with--- I don't care!) as well.

Feel free to point out any inaccuracies or things you wish I could change. Open to ideas!

Posted Image
Fiddler, Quick Ben, Whiskeyjack, & Kalam
~ Since Legos are a Danish product, most of the minifigures are made to have light skin. The patterns painted on their heads are thus shaded to blend with the skin tones you see on Fiddler and Whiskeyjack. Unfortunately, for dark-skinned characters like Kalam or Quick Ben, it causes some strange light-colored artifacts.
~ You can sort of see Fiddler's fiddle here. I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out. (It's really a guitar piece - no fiddles in Lego)
Posted Image
Apsalar, Paran, Hedge, Trotts, & Mallet
~ Again, another example of profiling affecting my work. Legos are mostly marketed towards young boys. As such, there are far fewer female minifigure faces than male, and thus far fewer expressions. They're generally either really happy or really angry. This was about as somber as I could manage with Sorry.
~ I don't really remember an apt description of Captain Ganoes Paran, so I sort of decked him out as the classic hero-boy type. Tried to add a semblance of the red Bridgeburner sigil on his chainmail - Whiskeyjack has it too.
~ Hedge has a pack that we can imagine is full of Moranth munitions.
Posted Image
Kallor, Caladan Brood, Lady Envy, & Sister Spite
~ I think my Kallor minifig is among my best. His expression and hair... everything is just so perfect!
~ Caladan Brood was said to have taken the form of a Barghast, so I modeled his coloring and hair after Trotts.
~ Again, I tried to find a more somber expression for Spite, but it just didn't work out right. Envy's expression, however, is perfect.
Posted Image
Gesler & Stormy
~ One of my favorites of Erikson's many bromances. And two of my favorite minifigs. Their expressions crack me up every time.
~ Also, you can't really tell, but their skin is Lego gold.
Posted Image
Tool, Karsa, & Icarium
~ My three favorite badasses from the series. I especially like Tool's flint sword. Note that my Tool model could really apply to any T'lan Imass (Onrack, etc.), since this is pretty much the only undead Lego face that doesn't look like a generic movie zombie. Any other T'lan Imass I make would be virtually identical to this one.
~ Unfortunately all of the minifigs have to be the same height, so I couldn't make Karsa tower over the others. I did give him a huge sword, though.
~ My Icarium model is the closest I can come to making a Jaghut out of Legos, since there are no orc-like faces or heads available... Sad day. Essentially also means I can't make Mappo Runt :p
~ In real life, Lego capes are easy-to-work-with strips of cloth. In this program, not so much. They don't bend with other parts, so there are only certain combinations of hair and cape I can use. I really lucked out with Tool and Karsa, who both have long hair in the books, as well as capes.

This post has been edited by Aetol Fletch: 26 June 2014 - 02:53 AM

#2 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:32 AM

Wow these are great! Favourites: Icarium, Apsalar & Hedge (So much Hedge, he's perfect)

Is this a free program?

#3 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

That's just... awesome.

Kallor is great as you say, and you've absolutely nailed Hedge!

You got the perfect expression for Quick Ben too.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#4 User is offline   Aetol Fletch 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yes, it is a free program, (hosted here) and is still being updated by the Lego company, so it can only get better. The last update included a lot of parts from the newer Hobbit sets, which really helps a lot with creating characters in a medieval fantasy world.

Thanks for the warm response! I have a lot more but I need to make more characters so I can upload their pictures concisely. For example, I've made Kruppe, Crokus, and Murillio, but I feel like I need to make Coll as well before I screenshot them.

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I love the expressions.. QB looks suitably smug, and I also like Mallet for some reason. Maybe it's because he has a sort of apologetic look.

They all look awesome though!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6 User is offline   Studious Lock 

• Whore of the State
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens
  • Interests:Playing sexy, sexy mandolin.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

This is quite simply amazing.
Hi, I'm Tom, and I put the Man in Mandolin.

#7 User is offline   Aetol Fletch 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:05 AM

Two more pics!

Posted Image
Anomander Rake, Andarist, & Silchas Ruin
~ Instead of making the Tiste Andii's skin black, I went for a dark grey so that you could actually see their facial features. I'm not sure how much I like Rake's face, to be honest. Might change it later.
~ I knew Darist's Hust blade (Grief) had to be cool, so I went with the Lego Dragon sword. I also wasn't sure what color to make it. I remember it flashing green in the books so I went with a sort of off-green. Let me know if you have any corrections.
~ Silchas Ruin may be too angry, but this was the only face with red eyes in the entire program. At least he isn't smiling! Wasn't sure what color to make his Blue Style swords, so I just went with silver.
Posted Image
Rallick Nom, Coll, Crokus/Cutter, Kruppe, & Murillio
~ I didn't remember Rallick Nom (all time favorite SE name, btw) having dark skin, but that's what the Wiki says. Sort of looks a bit too much like Kalam but he actually has a slightly different skin tone.
~ There sure are a lot of dark assassin types in these books. I feel like I made Crokus look too angry here, but he does take a darker turn in the series so...
~ This was about as good as I could do for Kruppe, which is pretty good considering his black beard and facial expression happened to be available on the same face. Still doesn't feel perfect though. Hmm.
~ I think I nailed Murillio. He even has a nice dueling foil.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:41 AM

It's kind of an assumption based on the name Darujhistan, but I think Rallick is dark skinned in the range of the Middle East and SW/Central Asia, ala the Stan countries, while yah Crokus et al tend to be what people call "olive" skinned. W/ Lego people there's not much else you can do to differentiate Nom.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

Erikson needs to see this. It's simultaneously one of the best tributes I've ever seen, endearingly cute and funny as a baby goat loose in the house.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   Aetol Fletch 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

upworthywort said:

1403754061[/url]' post='1131458']
It's kind of an assumption based on the name Darujhistan, but I think Rallick is dark skinned in the range of the Middle East and SW/Central Asia, ala the Stan countries, while yah Crokus et al tend to be what people call "olive" skinned. W/ Lego people there's not much else you can do to differentiate Nom.

Ah, I see. I gave Fiddler and Hedge that sort of coloration. I seem to remember that they were from the same island, and Fiddler was mentioned as Falari a few times.
-- just checked Malazan wiki. Apparently Falari have red hair (check) and fair skin (whoops). Also, the three Falari listed are Fid, Ges, and Stormy, not Hedge. Derp.
Suggestions as to how I change the minifigs?
EDIT - ok so I actually gave Fiddler and Hedge different skin tones, they just both have red hair, as does Stormy. Stormy and Ges' skin turns bronze anyway so their skin tone doesn't really matter for my intents and purposes.
Some of the other minifigs I've made but have yet to post include Redmask, Trull Sengar, Cotillion, and a Tiste Liosan. I'm waiting to make related characters to photograph with them. Any suggestions? (I was thinking of making the four Sengar brothers to post together. Rhulad post-sword would be impossible though since there's no way I could make a minifig look like he's covered in coins).
Seriously though, there are loads of characters I haven't made. Suggestions?

This post has been edited by Aetol Fletch: 26 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

#11 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

Are Moranth possible? Or Seguleh?

I'd like to see Felisin and Tavore. Two pivotal sisters in the story. Could work in T'amber as well.

What about any of the Letherii? Tehol, Brys and Hull could be a good set of brothers. Bugg and Janath could be doable too.

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I can so see those lined up on a bookshelf along with the novels.

How about Coltain, Bult, List etc?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#13 User is offline   Aetol Fletch 

• Recruit

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Posted Image
Edgewalker, Cotillion, & Shadowthrone
~ I know, Edgewalker is much too short. These are the only skeleton legs available in Lego. I didn't remember that he had a helmet from the books, but whatever wiki says, goes. Also wasn't able to put a sword on his back, on account of the creepy cloak.
~ The Rope reenacting his best scene from the books.
~ Shadowthrone was really hard to figure out since he's not given much of a description in the books. However, I'm actually really happy with the way he came out. Ideally, his face would be covered by the hood, but life doesn't work that way.
Posted Image
K'ell Hunter
~ I couldn't remember what color they were from the books, so I just went with whatever existed in my mind.
~ IMO, it doesn't look quite alien enough (my theory is that the K'Chain came from outer space), too much like a Velociraptor with knife hands. But it's still legit. Probably realistically sized when compared with the minifigs, too.

I'll get around to doing you guys' suggestions soon!

#14 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

-checks join date.
-reviews figs

Conclusion: You'll fit in very well around here. Also, I think this should get a heads up in the Inn, so i'm off to post a link.
meh. Link was dead :(

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

I love that Envy and Spite have such happy grins. A near perfect LEGO-ification of such strong and yet grumpy characters!

These are all brilliantly done and you ought to be proud!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#16 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

Aetol Fletch, first things first: totally brilliant idea!!!

Ok, now to the figures... I don't think you need to depict the girls with lipstick and eyelash faces - most are professional soldiers and anyway, not sure that lipstick exists in the Malazan universe?! I was trying to work out the 'who is who' without looking at names and the one you named Trotts I guessed to be Smiles. No idea if the colourations are right, but the expression sure is!!!

Given that, here are a few suggestions for sets of girls:

Bridgeburners - Picker, Blend, Tattersail and Detoran
Bonehunters, rank and file - Smiles, Kisswhere (that one probably would need lipstick :) ), Hellian (got any crossed eyes?) and Masan Gilani
Bonehunters, command - Tavore, Lostara Yil, Faradan Sort and Skanarow

Ideas for other sets:

You could add add Redmask to the K'ell Hunter

Got any dogs? Hounds of Shadow, Light, Deragoth...

And thinking dogs... Sinn, Grub and two hard to kill dogs, i.e. Roach and Bent :-)

#17 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Lego Apsalar is kind of hot... :)

In all seriousness this is instantly one of my favourite threads ever!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18 User is offline   Inane Babble 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

That K'ell hunter looks really awesome.

I think in my head they are a kind of dun colour, mostly because we were introduced to them as withered corpses which makes me think of that colour, that then just sort of stuck when the flesh and blood ones were introduced.

No idea what colour they are supposed to be though, and you are right, that scale looks spot on by some miracle haha

This post has been edited by Inane Babble: 27 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

They can probably change color. I don't have any evidence of that, but they can change their shape at whim so why not color?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

The thing with lipstick is that there's a certain way Lego makes their character facial features. Unless you put on a ponytail wig or another hairstyle that's almost always on a female, it's really hard to suggest female from a non obviously female Lego head and a hairstyle common to both genders.

Look at Apsalar above. That's what I'm talking about in the second sentence. Neutral head, ponytail wig.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users