• Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

SoD is in English (hardback) now.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#62 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Really? I was sure the release date was given as May, amazons giving it as the 21st.

#63 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

Right you are. I didn't clock that it was a preorder!

#64 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Query: Can anyone tell me which character is on the new UK cover to SWORD OF DESTINY? I know LAST WISH is Geralt, and BLOOD OF ELVES is Dandelion, and BAPTISM IN FIRE is Yennefer...but I'm at a loss for who the guy with the armour and the winged helmet is (unless I've not yet met him in the book: on page 50 so far)...it's not Eyck is it? He's the only guy mentioned with plate armour so far.

Anyways, I liked LAST WISH a good deal...but so far SWORD OF DESTINY is kicking my ass with goodness. Everything established fleetingly in the first book is amped up to twelve in this anthology. Loving this series.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#65 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

QuickTidal, on 25 May 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Query: Can anyone tell me which character is on the new UK cover to SWORD OF DESTINY? I know LAST WISH is Geralt, and BLOOD OF ELVES is Dandelion, and BAPTISM IN FIRE is Yennefer...but I'm at a loss for who the guy with the armour and the winged helmet is (unless I've not yet met him in the book: on page 50 so far)...it's not Eyck is it? He's the only guy mentioned with plate armour so far.

Anyways, I liked LAST WISH a good deal...but so far SWORD OF DESTINY is kicking my ass with goodness. Everything established fleetingly in the first book is amped up to twelve in this anthology. Loving this series.

You'll know him when you meet him, he's a pretty big part of the series, and his helmet is pretty iconic. If you don't know who it is yet, chances are you haven't met him.

#66 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Dadding, on 25 May 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

You'll know him when you meet him, he's a pretty big part of the series, and his helmet is pretty iconic. If you don't know who it is yet, chances are you haven't met him.

Cool, thanks for letting me know!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#67 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

Briar King, on 25 May 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

Are the games separate stories from books or are you playing book events?

All the novels and short stories occur before the books. You then lose your memory and start with the Witcher 1, which continues to the second and third games as you gradually regain your memory. Each game is progressively more intertwined with the books (i.e. the first game rarely references the novels, whereas the second and third games involve a lot more characters and events from the books).

#68 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:03 AM

Dadding, on 25 May 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

Briar King, on 25 May 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

Are the games separate stories from books or are you playing book events?

All the novels and short stories occur before the books. You then lose your memory and start with the Witcher 1, which continues to the second and third games as you gradually regain your memory. Each game is progressively more intertwined with the books (i.e. the first game rarely references the novels, whereas the second and third games involve a lot more characters and events from the books).

Game 1 is chock full of references to "Last Wish" and "Sword of Destiny". Less so about the novels.

All of these references are fairly minor though, so if you don't understand a random name-drop it's not a big deal. But it's so much cooler when you do.

Also, to QT: Sword of Destiny is probably the best short story collection ever. So much concentrated awesomeness it's not even funny.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#69 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

Is it that utter, utter dick of a knight who I punched out in one of the games?

#70 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

Maark, on 26 May 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

No, that's Tailles I think (if you refer to the guy you punch in the Solar), and he's present in one of the short stories in Last Wish.

In any case, if you want to know who the guy is, that's
(spoilered name)
Spoiler

and he shows up in the books. One of my favourite characters of the series. A rather tragic character.

EDIT: TW1 is packed full of quotes taken raw out of the short story books. I think it was a good choice.

I'd like to take this space here to ask about the english version of TW2: the second guy you can fistfight in Flotsam... in the polish version, he's called Naizdup, the guy that does everything in reverse - and his name in reverse is Pudzian - Mariusz Pudzianowski. How was translation handled in that case?

This post has been edited by Gothos: 26 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#71 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Mentalist, on 26 May 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

Also, to QT: Sword of Destiny is probably the best short story collection ever. So much concentrated awesomeness it's not even funny.

Yup, so far I'm pretty blown away by the quality. A GREAT book.

#72 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Gothos, on 26 May 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'd like to take this space here to ask about the english version of TW2: the second guy you can fistfight in Flotsam... in the polish version, he's called Naizdup, the guy that does everything in reverse - and his name in reverse is Pudzian - Mariusz Pudzianowski. How was translation handled in that case?

I tihnk his name is Fliparse if I remember correctly

#73 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Gothos, on 26 May 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Maark, on 26 May 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

No, that's Tailles I think (if you refer to the guy you punch in the Solar), and he's present in one of the short stories in Last Wish.

In any case, if you want to know who the guy is, that's
(spoilered name)
Spoiler

and he shows up in the books. One of my favourite characters of the series. A rather tragic character.

EDIT: TW1 is packed full of quotes taken raw out of the short story books. I think it was a good choice.

Yeah I remember Tails from TLW. He didn't fly no more after that.

I've not actually encountered Welshy van Welshington at all yes. I never got far in W1 (just up to that ridiculous plant that one shots you).

#74 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Gothos, did you know Pudzianowski just obliterated one of the mediocre Gracies in KSW's version of MMA? Overhand right finisher in about 40 seconds.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#75 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

Oh, I've read them all and I must say they're the s$#t!! Especially Sword of Destiny and Last Wish. I even went as far as translating The Road of no Return with google translate, what a mess that was, unbelievably screwed up everything, I don't recommend it, unless you plan on being a linguistic detective. Imagine "scabbard" being translated as
Spoiler
for example or
Spoiler

Now for why they're as good, I could say because they're realistic and the author has extensive knowledge of politics, economics and history, being able to add credible flavor to the world he created. The fact that he uses some of the other folk tales for his own purposes is interesting also. But what I like most are his characters and the humor.
Spoiler

If anyone wants to talk spoilers (as in praise the series in depth), I'm all for it :apt:

This post has been edited by paradanmellow: 04 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

#76 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

I've only read up to and including Baptism of Fire, though I've got fan translations for the last 2.

It's a great series that I really enjoy but the quality of the official translations is pretty poor and inconsistent with spellings and place, character and monster names changing, sometimes even in the same book. While I appreciate that a translation will likely never do justice to the original Polish version, I think having the translation done by an author who treats it as an art rather than a science would have been far better. Or at least some collaboration with CD Project Red. As with all these things, a direct translation doesn't always work best. Ken Liu is a great example of translation done right.

I felt that they have been pretty rushed from the start, to release them in line with the games (which are fantastic).

If anyone hasn't checked out the House of Glass graphic novel I'd advise you too. It's around the same length in terms of story as one of the short stories from either of the first two collections and well worth a read. There's a second coming out in January called Fox Children.

This post has been edited by Wolfdrop: 05 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

#77 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

amphibian, on 26 May 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

Gothos, did you know Pudzianowski just obliterated one of the mediocre Gracies in KSW's version of MMA? Overhand right finisher in about 40 seconds.

I did not. I don't generally follow MMA at all, but that's... actually hillarious.

paradanmellow, on 04 August 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Oh, I've read them all and I must say they're the s$#t!! Especially Sword of Destiny and Last Wish. I even went as far as translating The Road of no Return with google translate, what a mess that was, unbelievably screwed up everything, I don't recommend it, unless you plan on being a linguistic detective. Imagine "scabbard" being translated as
Spoiler
for example or
Spoiler

By the GODS that's hillarious! Also, I can see how someone might translate them as such with very poor knowledge of english... or Google Translator.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#78 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Fun fact: in German 'scabbard' and the above are actually the same word. Though it's possible to stick 'sword', 'knife', etc. in front to avoid that, many books don't bother. I had some fun back when I started reading fantasy in German, which coincided with sex-ed at school and my not-yet-perfect grasp of how a word can mean different things.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#79 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

Puckstein, on 05 August 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Fun fact: in German 'scabbard' and the above are actually the same word. Though it's possible to stick 'sword', 'knife', etc. in front to avoid that, many books don't bother. I had some fun back when I started reading fantasy in German, which coincided with sex-ed at school and my not-yet-perfect grasp of how a word can mean different things.

Same thing for polish.

#80 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

Wolfdrop, on 05 August 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

If anyone hasn't checked out the House of Glass graphic novel I'd advise you too. It's around the same length in terms of story as one of the short stories from either of the first two collections and well worth a read. There's a second coming out in January called Fox Children.

Following your recommendation, I read House of Glass too.

Spoiler

:apt:
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users