Last Wish
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
Tower of the Swallow
Lady of the Lake

Storm Season

I don't know how many of these have actually been released in english, though.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#22 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostDadding, on 28 October 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

I've been meaning to read this series for a long time, I'm a big fan of both video games. Was wondering if someone here can suggest a reading order, from what I've read online I can't seem to piece one together. Start with the Last Wish, then move onto to Saga starting with Blood of Elves? I'm not averse to reading the fan translations either.

It's exactly as Gothos says.

I went with the Gollancz edition of The Last Wish, the fan translation of The Sword of Destiny I posted a while back, then Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire from Gollancz.

Saved the fan translation as a PDF and read it on the kindle, the rest in paperback

I'm still waiting for the other 2 to be published though the change of translators after the first two books was a a bit jarring, the new translator seems to be better.

They should have decided at the start to use CD Project Red's English translations, though the new translator is apparently one of the editors from the Witcher gamepedia wiki, which can only be a good thing!

#23 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the quick answers guys. Is The Last Wish discontinued for Kindle or something? The Amazon store says they no longer sell it.

#24 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:37 PM

Kindle version is working fine for Amazon UK/US. Unfortunately it looks like it might be an Amazon.ca problem. There's always the fan translation but I thought The official version of The Last Wish was done pretty well.

#25 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

View PostWolfdrop, on 28 October 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Kindle version is working fine for Amazon UK/US. Unfortunately it looks like it might be an Amazon.ca problem. There's always the fan translation but I thought The official version of The Last Wish was done pretty well.

Ah, that's too bad. I'll have to order the real book then. My second language is French, would you suggest reading the official French translation over the fan translation of The Sword of Destiny? Or is the fan translation done well?Last question, I promise!

#26 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

I think that the fan translation is actually from the French version to English, rather than the original Polish, and it still reads alright despite 2 translations.

If you're a French speaker then the official French editions would probably be a good shout, they'll be more consistent and they're all translated.

Unfortunately, my French is pretty dire so I'm stuck with the English editions!

#27 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostWolfdrop, on 29 October 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

I think that the fan translation is actually from the French version to English, rather than the original Polish, and it still reads alright despite 2 translations.

If you're a French speaker then the official French editions would probably be a good shout, they'll be more consistent and they're all translated.

Unfortunately, my French is pretty dire so I'm stuck with the English editions!

It is, of course, always best to go for the native version. Go learn polish, liek, nao! You'll get to read Ziemiański and Pilipiuk as a bonus :unworthy:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#28 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

View PostGothos, on 14 May 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

No, that's latvian currency. In our currency it would amount to a little bit of "good old times" and a splash of nationalist sentiment against russians.

So... A case of vodka? I'm sure us super rich capitalists can make that happen... :unworthy:

I have recently started playing the first game & I really like it & therefore think I would like the books. Dunno what the state of my TRP is atm but will think about downloading them.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

I have some really nice editions of the official english translation, which are available up to book 3 now. The release schedule seems to be once every year or so, and they're definately worth both the wait and the read.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#30 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'll stress this again: DO READ SWORD OF DESTINY before you go on to the saga. I read it in the wrong order the first time and a lot of stuff may not make sense and you may miss quite a bit of references to events and characters.

#31 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

View PostGothos, on 30 October 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'll stress this again: DO READ SWORD OF DESTINY before you go on to the saga. I read it in the wrong order the first time and a lot of stuff may not make sense and you may miss quite a bit of references to events and characters.

^This. And Sword of Destiny introduces a very important character.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#32 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'm halfway through The Last Wish already, it's great! Thanks for all the advice, I'll be sure to read Sword of Destiny next.

#33 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

It's so gripping! I'm supposed to be studying for exams and instead I've spent the last few days finishing The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny. I've had to physically separate myself from my kindle in order to get any work done at all.

And now I'm even more excited for The Witcher 3 to come out ... it's taking too long!

#34 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

Mass market paperback for Baptism of Fire is out Jan 8th in the UK, kindle and TP version been available for a year or so. There's also apparently a sequel to House of Glass in the works which is great news, the first was excellent! Theres also a "World of the Witcher " due in Feb.

This post has been edited by Wolfdrop: 30 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

#35 User is offline   Raizen 

• Recruit

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

One of my favorite things about these books is the dry sarcastic humor. I actually think they did a pretty decent job bringing that into the development of the games too.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

#36 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

Possibly the best Witcher related news yet!

Sword of Destiny official translation release alongside the Witcher 3!

I emailed them that suggestion almost a year ago, it seems Gollancz has finally seen sense. Looks like we'll be getting the rest of the books too. No details on a translation of the latest one though, Storm Season I think it might be called.

All info from the Wertzone: http://thewertzone.b...cquired-by.html

#37 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

So if I was to look at these, would I look to ideally start off with the books that deal with Gerald?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#38 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

I'm not entirely sure about what you mean, Maark, as all the books deal with Geralt, except after the short story collections other point of views are added. If you're looking to start the series, you ideally should start with the short stories in The Last Wish, and preferably also read Sword of Destiny (fan translation or wait for the official release) before moving on to the main series, as they introduce the main cast of characters and the background story.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#39 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostGothos, on 28 October 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

What it SHOULD be:

Last Wish
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
Tower of the Swallow
Lady of the Lake

Storm Season

I have borked this, so my actual reading order has been Last Wish, Time of Contempt, Sword of Destiny and now I'm reading Blood of Elves.

I liked Last Wish, Time of Contempt and Sword of Destiny more than Blood of Elves thus far. BoE is picking up as the magical teaching of the Blood of Elves kicks into gear because it's more relatable.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#40 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostPuck, on 27 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

I'm not entirely sure about what you mean, Maark, as all the books deal with Geralt, except after the short story collections other point of views are added. If you're looking to start the series, you ideally should start with the short stories in The Last Wish, and preferably also read Sword of Destiny (fan translation or wait for the official release) before moving on to the main series, as they introduce the main cast of characters and the background story.

I'm already pretty aware of Gerald via the game adaptations, so introductions would seem perhaps a little superfluous. Without going too deep into spoilerland, is the story based on the mishaps caused by the Scoia'Tael?

Also I have to call him Gerald because of that Zero Punctuation review from way back when.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users