Malazan Empire: A quote from Reaper's Gale - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

A quote from Reaper's Gale

#1 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

Hey everyone,
I know this might be a stretch but I thought it might stir some conversation in what must be our slowest time since we began this journey in the Malazan world. I am currently re-reading Reaper's Gale yet again. I have to admit this may be one of the books in the series that I skip over the most parts, but it is also one that has some of my favourite parts. I have just begun the third book, which of course, is where the Bonehunters come back into play. Amongst the Bonehunters is one of my favorite stories that is told within one book, that of Beak.
I am reading the Bantam press soft cover, the one that is the size of a hard cover but... Well... Soft... Haha. Anyway it is right after Beak talks about his candles on page 394 and how he knows all of them (what QB you only have 7 warrens? Haha) and how he lit his candles so strong when he left home. Right after that it talks about the forkful assail and the Tiste Liosan warring. The quote that caught me was "Justice... The Liosan called it Serkanos and the Assail called it Rynthan... No matter what the language it spoke, it's followers could not understand it."
The funny thing about this book coming out about the continent of Assail, there hasn't been talk about the Forkrul Assail being the tyrants... I know their role was played in The Crippled God and the blurb on Amazon doesn't lead in that direction... But the Liosan is an interesting idea... It's funny even as I wrote this I have contradicted what I originally intended to write, I just feel like that quote stirred something in me about the mystery of Assail... Especially where I don't remember the dispute between the Liosan and Assail being mentioned elsewhere.
I realize I'm probably just forgetting something that was completely explained elsewhere but I thought I'd throw it out there in case by some chance it hasn't.
Anyway, thanks for reading... Hopefully this might create even a small discussion... Or feel free to just put me in my place. Haha.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Look at the names of the Gods: Sercanos = Osseric for the Liosan and Rynthan is very similar to a name the Assail used for Sechul Lath (It's in TCG somewhere).

Basically, their gods of justice are just their regular gods/ascendants.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 15 March 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

Look at the names of the Gods: Sercanos = Osseric for the Liosan and Rynthan is very similar to a name the Assail used for Sechul Lath (It's in TCG somewhere).

Basically, their gods of justice are just their regular gods/ascendants.

I figured there would be a quick answer... I'm assuming my FA or Liosan involvement on Assail just isn't worth mentioning then? Even with reading everything and noting has, or at least that I can remember, associated the FA w/ Assail its just why would the place that is being fought over by human tyrants and imass and crim guard not have any FA when the place is called Assail... Where is my memory block here... What have I forgot?

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

The Assail in their ships must have come to Kolanse from somewhere. Odds are that is their original homeland and some might still be around.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

The Liosan have always admired the ideas of the Forkrul Assail, but the Assail are the first people to get pissed off and start a fight with someone because of their 'wrong' interpretation of things, especially when it comes to justice. I'm not sure this quote directly relates to Assail - it could quite possibly refer to events prior to the formative history of the continent, or even after given that I imagine the Liosan and Assail have probably fought more than one war.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I don't get where the idea that the FA and Liosan are still fighting on Assail came from...?

The "Tyrants" on Assail were referenced by Lanas Tog in MoI as being human (though we have seen a few creatures that can possess or look like humans, pseudo-Liosan included {L'oric} )

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostD, on 15 March 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

I don't get where the idea that the FA and Liosan are still fighting on Assail came from...?

The "Tyrants" on Assail were referenced by Lanas Tog in MoI as being human (though we have seen a few creatures that can possess or look like humans, pseudo-Liosan included {L'oric} )

That quote and moment was bad-ass.

It would be amazing to finally understand its implications, like, 13 novels later in 'Assail' if ICE gets to the root of it. Maybe Crimson Guard tyrants? They're pretty unstoppable and I could imagine them handling Forks okay. This seems unlikely in that (Blood and Bone spoiler)
Spoiler
But hey, you never know.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 16 March 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

View PostD, on 15 March 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

That quote and moment was bad-ass.

It would be amazing to finally understand its implications, like, 13 novels later in 'Assail' if ICE gets to the root of it. Maybe Crimson Guard tyrants? They're pretty unstoppable and I could imagine them handling Forks okay. This seems unlikely in that (Blood and Bone spoiler)
Spoiler
But hey, you never know.

Orb, Scepter, Throne's enlightenment that Jaghut have been able to separate their finnest from their body enough such that it can be seen as humans, ala the Tyrant King of Darujhistan is the most likely culprit. However, there seems to be a very strong ghost/spiritual aspect to it ala Stalker, Badlands, and Coots that it might be a lot of necromancers/who knows what going on. Exciting.

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

"She [Sister Reverence] knew there were other Pures, on distant continents..."
The Crippled God, HB, p757

Entirely possible that the FA will make an appearance in the last book!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

Dont forget we also have the forgotten Blade of the CGRD led by Cal Brinn that will hopefully be a POV character/main character for background info when the book comes out.

Still no prologue

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users