• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2014 Olympics

#21 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 10 February 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 10 February 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Those skiers are mental. Wish I could ski like that! Also, was oddly drawn in by the pairs ice skating! Go figure... :)

Marit Bjørgen is a terrifying woman. Impressive, charming, and a god of skiing, but terrifying.

Funny how all your cross country skiers were lackluster until one season they suddenly all got asthma and perscription steroids...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 11 February 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

Holy fuck...Alex Bilodeau from Canada just tore up that Men's Mogul. Wow he was good.

You were expecting something else?

lol

Yeah, I was fully expecting him to nail the gold. His run in Van City in 2010 was perfect, and this final run was no different. Off-axis 1080 executed perfectly.

Wee done Canada, and for Mikhail for Canada in Silver. Tied for most gold baby!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Canada is whooping butt!

Love watching speed skating and curling (even though I've no fucking idea what is going on.)

Curling's dialogue, excuse me, I mean screaming is fantastic. I love the shouting and have since 2002.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm in love with the Russian Women's Curling team (even though they defeated the USA). SVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

I can't stand Curling. Every time I watch it all I want the players to do is hurl those stones down the isle at full ramming speed and blast the other stones off the ice. Screw the positioning. Max power.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostGothos, on 11 February 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 10 February 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Those skiers are mental. Wish I could ski like that! Also, was oddly drawn in by the pairs ice skating! Go figure... :)

Marit Bjørgen is a terrifying woman. Impressive, charming, and a god of skiing, but terrifying.

Funny how all your cross country skiers were lackluster until one season they suddenly all got asthma and perscription steroids...

Are you implying that a contender would use something as unsportsmanlike as a performance enhancing drug to get a better result? HOW DARE YOU, THIS IS THE OLYMPICS!

#27 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Well, they all do it in one form or another. Having an official paper to say you can is another.
Just look at her! She brings to mind all those jokes about East Germany and their sports"wo"men that complain that that new drug is making them more hairy on their balls.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostMaybe Apt, on 11 February 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

I can't stand Curling. Every time I watch it all I want the players to do is hurl those stones down the isle at full ramming speed and blast the other stones off the ice. Screw the positioning. Max power.

Curling becomes infinitely more interesting if you imagine the stones detonate.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

All the subtlety I would expect knowing your tastes.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

What curling are YOU watching crazypants?

The Olympic Curling I'm watching has plenty of finesse. But nine times out of ten they get in hot water and need to get a rock out more than they need to score themselves.

Sidenote: I actually Curl.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

I admit part of my intense hatred of Curling might be the ineptitude of the Danish womens curling team. The Danish media tends to have a fetish for any sort of sport that Denmark is just remotely good at, so ridiculous amount of attention is lavished upon curling. And we're so bad at it!

Also, I just find the tactics of the game to be some place between boring and infuriating depending upon how they are setting up the stones.

#32 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 February 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Curling becomes infinitely more interesting if you imagine the stones detonate.

Moranth Curling, needs to happen!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostMaybe Apt, on 11 February 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Also, I just find the tactics of the game to be some place between boring and infuriating depending upon how they are setting up the stones.

Oh it is. It's basically shuffleboard without the sticks. LOTS of old people Curl. LOL

#34 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostGothos, on 11 February 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

Those skiers are mental. Wish I could ski like that! Also, was oddly drawn in by the pairs ice skating! Go figure... :p

When were they lackluster? There has been Norwegian skiers competing for the top spots in more or less every season for as long as I've been alive.

Interestingly, several studies have been done on the performance enhancing abilities of the astma medicin used by Bjørgen, and they've all found the effect to be negligble, if present at all. The Inhalor has been shown to counteract the effect of the astma to some extent, but to have a negative effect on performance for people without astma. You will also find I believe, that neither of the two women who won yesterday have astma, nor does Theres Johaug, whom also does fairly well.

When that is said, a substantial minority of skiers develop astma at some point. The consequence of pumping freezing air down your lungs for years and years. It's hardly a secret, or some sort of performance indused conspiracy.

In the end, not a single Norwegian skier has been found to use doping. Nor has there ever been an insider; a coach, a physical therapist, a former skier or what have you, who've come out and accused anyone on the team of doping. As such I consider them clean until proven otherwise. Which typically is the approach I have to most sports (with the exception of cycling).
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#35 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 12 February 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

When were they lackluster? There has been Norwegian skiers competing for the top spots in more or less every season for as long as I've been alive.

Interestingly, several studies have been done on the performance enhancing abilities of the astma medicin used by Bjørgen, and they've all found the effect to be negligble, if present at all. The Inhalor has been shown to counteract the effect of the astma to some extent, but to have a negative effect on performance for people without astma. You will also find I believe, that neither of the two women who won yesterday have astma, nor does Theres Johaug, whom also does fairly well.

When that is said, a substantial minority of skiers develop astma at some point. The consequence of pumping freezing air down your lungs for years and years. It's hardly a secret, or some sort of performance indused conspiracy.

In the end, not a single Norwegian skier has been found to use doping. Nor has there ever been an insider; a coach, a physical therapist, a former skier or what have you, who've come out and accused anyone on the team of doping. As such I consider them clean until proven otherwise. Which typically is the approach I have to most sports (with the exception of cycling).

I was seriously sure you'd negrep me for that post :p You'd be amazed how much venom there is for the norwegian team, and Marti in particular, in my country. Myself I don't really give a shit about sports, but many people are quite hateful when it comes to competitors of our "golden" little chances for medals in winter sports, most likely because we have so little of them. Adam Małysz in ski jumping was something of a breaktrhough, now we have a team of young, ambitious and talented jumpers, with Kamil Stoch reaching for olympic gold a few days ago - something even Małysz, cup winner for several years and in that time absolute dominator of the season, never achieved. Justyna Kowalczyk is another one and I guess we're extremely protective of her. Now that she's riding the olympics with a broken foot and unlikely to bring anything back home. Such a pity.

#36 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, Kowalczyk's injury was very unfortunate. It's a shame she's not up there competing for the gold. I'm surprised to hear the Polish view is hatefull as you say. From what I gather the athletes themselves get along well enough, and Norwegian press are quite supportive of Kowalczyk most of the time, even when she was suspended for taking Dexamethason (I googled).

#37 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

That's probably part of the problem - she got disqualified for using a painkiller (ripped achilles tendon) that also happens to be on FIS' blacklist, while the norwegians have an official leeway on their thing. Details don't matter much to the public, it'll be "special treatment" this way or another. Mind you, I do wonder - are other teams also allowed to use that asthma medication, or is it a special exception for Norway?

You'll find Poles absolutely hate any sort of double standards (while being fiercly hypocrcitical when double standards favour us). We blame organizations and referees for everything, it's a way of life.

#38 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

It's allowed for any athlete who can show a medically proved need, though I belive the international organization evaluate the documentation on a case by case basis.

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Was anyone else blown away when Putin won the skeleton event using Joseph Stalin's unexhumed skeleton?
...is there ANYTHING this man cannot do, i ask you?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 February 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Was anyone else blown away when Putin won the skeleton event using Joseph Stalin's unexhumed skeleton?
...is there ANYTHING this man cannot do, i ask you?

Take a picture where he smiles?

:p

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users