Christian Rock

#41 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joe:
Does U2 count as a christian rockband?

Nope. There's a difference between Christians in rock bands (I think a couple of the chaps from Linkin Park might be Christians, and they're certainly not Christian music) and Christian bands. Like Scott Stapp's stubborn insistence that Creed were not a 'Christian' band.

#42 Guest_Fool_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

I've heard some and i wasnt impressed. Neither with the music (very straightforward... ie. very boring) nor with the lyrics (but i suppose that wouldnt really surprise you).

"A lot of people have told me that you can't be a Christian and listen to that kinda music."

Where do you meet these people? Do you have a time machine to travel back to the 50s or something? Posted Image

#43 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:43 PM

Dude, that's uncalled for. We DO have Edward Elgar, you know.

#44 Guest_Narrefisse_*

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

Uh... yeah. Chevelle is about as christian as queensryche these days, no?

#45 Guest_vartan_*

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

I read that as I lay dying are a christian rock/metal band. Is that true?
By the way, Dream theatre sucks.

#46 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

Given what "Rock n' Roll" was originally slang for, I find the idea of Christian Rock amusing on a number of levels...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#47 Guest_vartan_*

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

Does U2 count as a christian rockband?

#48 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:24 AM

Dude, the Christians who claim Rock is of the devil are lame...
OK, a lot of groups claim to worship the devil, but that doesn't mean the whole genre is of the devil!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#49 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:43 AM

This is a discussion really but I thought I would add a poll in as well. You see, as a Christian I think that a lot of music is full of stuff which I would be better off not filling my mind with. I went to America last summer and picked up some pretty good Christian metal. Admittedly, some of it sucks, but a lot of it is pretty good music. This is one of the bands I got, a very hardcore metal band, who are all Christians. A lot of people have told me that you can't be a Christian and listen to that kinda music. Just wondered what everyone though about that. Any other Christian rockers on this site. Actually, any other Christians on this site?
BTW, I actually do listen to other metal as well, I just wanted some stuff that wasn't all about hatred or other stuff like that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#50 Guest_Narrefisse_*

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Brynjar:
dear god

please kill amy lee

yours faithfully
Brynjar

Sieg heil mine fuhrer!

the problem with christian rock can be summarized thusly:

“Why are Christians incapable of making good rock music? Actually, many Christians have made much good rock(or metal, see Chuck Shu****alindinger, the greatest songwritermandudeever). It just seems that when they start singing about being Christians, the patron saint of rock (Lucifer) intervenes and saps all musical ability from the band”

#51 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Don't forget U2, of course, who started out fighting with After the Fire as the two main christian rock bands... they won, obviouslyPosted Image

ATF, incidentally, are playing at Greenbelt this summer... however, the lineup in general sucks, so I won't bother going, personally Posted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tde; keimetha tois keinon rhmasi peithomenoi.

#52 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tiste Simeon:
BTW who voted that they didn't know Christians existed? Just wondering...

I thought the lions got 'em. Posted Image

#53 Guest_Slowkat_*

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

LOL Dream Theatre!! Hehehe, aw man, those guys are such a joke now! better to listen to Joe Satriani (sp). Hm... as to christians, what about Sting/Police and Chris DeBurgh (sp) (especially the song where the devil is playing cards on a train)? Those guys float my boat =P
aw and remember MXPX (magnified plaid)? hm... what other notorieties....meh.

#54 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:31 AM

Oh, man! Third Day are coming to Cardiff, but I am not gonna be around... And by all accounts they are pretty heavy live...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#55 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

Seconded!

#56 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:17 AM

i dont know lorn, that would of went really well in the big lebowski as john turturo was doing the rounds int he neighbourhoodPosted Image

"nobody ****s with the jesus!" as they sayPosted Image

#57 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:53 AM

Fool - No, I didn't go back in time to find that out. I was very surprised to find out that a lot of people still think that Rock music (especially Heavy Metal) is wrong and that Christians should neither play in it or listen to it. And I think you may find that there is a lot more than you have heard of. I will agree that a majority of Christian rock is boring and generally not very good. But there are some...

Yellow -
quote:
But I don't understand why bands would do that to themselves - purposefully pigeonhole their own music. I mean, are all their songs about christian issues? How boring would that be? Surely at some point they would compromise either their music or their message just to satisfy the other.
Not necessarily - a lot of the stuff I listen to isn't overtly Christian. They are Christian band members, and sometimes sing a song about Christianity, but as a general rule their lyrics aren't all about Christ and the bible, or whatever. It is just nice to hear some music that isn't all about hate. A lot of the stuff is about injustice, or love, and you have to admit that a lot of mainstream and very successful secular bands sing about them too. Neither do they "preach at" people in their music as well. To me, they provide music to a certain audience, with alternative lyrics.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#58 Guest_Elvithrarith_*

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

i voted whats music, coz im weird like that Posted Image

#59 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

BTW who voted that they didn't know Christians existed? Just wondering...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#60 Guest_Choronzon_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tiste Simeon:
This is a discussion really but I thought I would add a poll in as well. You see, as a Christian I think that a lot of music is full of stuff which I would be better off not filling my mind with. I went to America last summer and picked up some pretty good Christian metal. Admittedly, some of it sucks, but a lot of it is pretty good music.

I don't care for most "Christian rock", but there are plenty of people who make good rock/pop music who are Christians (e.g. Sam Phillips, Pedro the Lion, 16 Horsepower). The music of most self-proclaimed "Christian rockers" is usually fairly mediocre, in my opinion.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users