+Artwork Cheers

#21 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

OH yeah, I left several of them out. I did a mini sketch with all fifteen I could remember but the page got pretty cramped. I'd be happy to try the missing guys out in another scene. Trotts I attempted once but I don't have a good feel for him or blend and picker for that matter. In my mind picker and blend are rarely any scene out of bed. I blame society for this. anyways heres my previous attempt at a few of those mentioned...

Posted Image

I learned alot after this so I'd like to try another scene of the gang. Just mention it with a quote and I'll give it a shot.
and in other news I was doing a tester on old malazan content for a possible comic I want to work on this year. the result:

Attached File  MAGES Shadow Throne REDUEX 4B V1 small.jpg (398.64K)
Number of downloads: 7

EDIT

I just realized I have no mental image of bluepearl and spindle whatsoever. :harhar:

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 11 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#22 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Ohhhhh, I'd forgotten that that one was also yours. I thought it looked cool.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#23 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostKanese S, on 11 January 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

Ohhhhh, I'd forgotten that that one was also yours. I thought it looked cool.

Yeah it was a failed submission so a bit rushed but I really enjoyed working it up. its because of this that I ended up doing the one with Whiskeyjack, that and the fact I really wanted to work on something with Whiskeyjack. :harhar:
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#24 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Ok so I wanna paint out all the "First sword level" mortals.

I got Dassem and Brys, who else makes the cut? Going for maybe 4 or 5.

#25 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Tool! :-D (In his flesh-and-blood Imass form?)

Errrm was Karsa the First Sword of somemightywossname? Does Knight technically mean the same? His weapon certainly is the longest and most potent, flint-hard and outshining even Tool's tool of...war.

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 26 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

#26 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

As this malazan wikia entry indicates, Korbolo Dom would also be a first sword :-)

http://malazan.wikia...Sword_of_Empire

I think the first sword basically indicates the commander in chief of an army of an empire. If that is the case, you could add a few more to the list

Hiam (Lord Protector of the Stormwall, Commander of all Korelri)
Unnutal Hebaz, Preda (Commander) of Letherii army

and maybe (if we think that the army need not be that of an empire)

Red Mask, war leader of the Awl
Mortal Sword Khuragava, commander of the Perish army
Queen Abrastal, leader of the Evertine Legion of the Bolkando
Jan, leader of the Seguleh.
Anomandiris Purake, commander of the Tiste Andii

#27 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hmmmn...you know I don't think I've ever really thought of those guys in that light before.

**Ok all book spoiers possibly from here on out. Avert ye eyes if you haven't gotten to book 8 of the MBotF and read half way or mostly through ICE 5 at the very least. I don't mind minor spoilers from books I aint read FoD yet but such spoilers are welcome though likely not relevant? Just a lil' for warning would be appreciated as I'm keen to read them once I've tackled the ICE books.**

A first sword can be a Knight, a Knight doesn't necessarily make you a first sword though.

Tool in mortal form was sword leader of the Imass aaand the Bharghast so he qualifies twice. Karsa is a stretch on this one even if he is first sword level. He I am not certain about and think he has enough press to be skipped this time around. Sorry Kaamos, its not how long the weapon is... :)

Korbolo Dom... ;) so many better options...

Anomander is not really a mortal so sadly not quite making the cut, I'd also argue Anomander isn't the andii first sword, Spinnock Durav is. Kinda.

I think we get a ton of description on red mask, an interesting add. He was a very unique character with the caradan whip and a disc. not winning any popularity contests though.

Wasn't sure about Jan. hmmmn. is he the first general in truth considering his position? Still need to get back to that book but I am aware ofthe direction it takes towards the end. It was practically telegraphed three chapters in.

Mortal sword Kruraghava would be a fair addition. I haven't read Stoneweilder yet so don't know much about Korel related characters except maybe Greymane? He used to be a fist though, First swords are the best and the overall leaders of an army, That was Dassem.

Others to consider:

Skinner - CG military leader
Gruntle - Same reasons as Kurughava technically, though he never really sticks to an "army".
Fear Sengar - I find it annoying but Fear holds this position among the Edur.

REALLY wanted to sneak in Ironbars, alas he doesn't make the cut...unless maybe the CG ruckus left him as defacto leader of the CG army?

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 27 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

#28 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

Would Shimmer qualify for this. Instead of Ironbars?? I think she was second to K'azz and took command when the guard split during that battle??? Or am I misremembering completely...

Might not meet the First Sword title though
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#29 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

Oooh didn't think of that! Honestly I have no idea!

Ok so for today I'm gonna work in Tool along side Dassem and Brys. Should we not leave him zombified for the benefit of the new guys? Just a thought though. Trying hard to be friendly to our newcomers as I tend to shotgun forward info unknowingly.

Dassem: Old Dal honese with a greying beard and kinked long hair. Blue bloodshot eyes. Even featured face criss crossed with scars. Wears a leather vest and Flannel shirt. check.

Brys: Nothing definite but we know the beddicts tend to be muscular or rather fit as even Tehol has a fit body and he allegedly did absolutely nothing to get it. Brys is a swordsman and all about his station so I have him kitted up in reasonable gear. quilted vest over cloth and chain. gauntlets and boots. with a short cloak...which I may take out as he looks like a super hero. :-/ I have a bearded blonde, grey eyes soft features and mediam to short hair. Anything wrong with this picture? I have never tried a beddict. will post up options.

T'ool: I want him to look angry and made of bones. That's all I got really. Still gonna work on him.
Edit:

The skin that stretched across the squat man’s robust bones was a shiny nut brown in colour, the texture of leather. Whatever flesh it had once covered had contracted to thin strips the consistency of oak roots – such muscles showed through torn patches here and there. The creature’s face, what Toc could see of it, bore a heavy chinless jawbone, high cheeks and a pronounced brow ridge. The eye sockets were dark holes

I like the addition of a woman or two in the ranks but I guess its a popularity contest at this point so your pick on the following:

Shimmer or Skinner?

Kurughava or Gruntle

Fear, Jan or Red Mask?

Will just work on the most popular choices as I get to them.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 27 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

#30 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'd actually love to see Krughava. I just finished Dust of Dreams and this far shorter (and younger; don't deem she has beheld a couple of millennia...) version of Rime Coldspray keeps stomping forth from the shadows whenever I picture her; hence would be interesting to meet someone else's rendering of her. I haven't discovered a single piece of fanart about her anywhere, or alternatively I should double-check the spelling of her name.

Brys: my mental image matches your description, a VERY stereotypical Nordic blonde with a wavy beard and straight hair. Aye, and a wee bit superhero-ish as well.

Tool's physique closely resembles that of a Neanderthal (chinless prognathous jaw, jutting browridge, barrel chest...), so I'd google some of their skeletons and begin the zombifying fun. :-D

#31 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

I vote for Krughava, too. I love Krughava. Been meaning to draw her, too, but never manage to get around to it.

I would'd go too icelandic blonde on Brys, Hull's supposed to be the nordic poster boy. He's more of a darker shade of blonde in my mind, but there's no quote I could produce to say either way.

Oh, and I also vote for Redmask.

Edit: Let's see, what I can produce quote-wise..

On Brys..

The Champion – that extraordinary, appalling swordsman - […]
[…] So modest in appearance, so... his face. Familiar... Hull Beddict. So like Hull Beddict. Yes, his brother. The youngest. […]
[MT, p. 900]

[…] Lying, perfetly still, a mixture of surprise and dismay on his young face. […]
[MT, p. 903]

Brys Beddict's calm brown eyes […]. His sword seemed to writhe.
[RG, p. 879]

[…] a Letherii approaching. Plainly dressed, an unadorned long, thin-bladed sword scabbarded at his hip, Brys Beddict possessed no extraordinary physical qualities, and yet neither Lostara nor Faradan Sort could take their eyes off him. Even a casual glance would slide past only to draw inexorably back, captured by something ineffable but undeniable.
[DoD, p. 41]

He smiled and saw her start, and wondered, although not for long, as women often reacted that way when he smiled. '[...]'
[DoD, p. 43]

Commander Brys threw on his cloak and fastened the breast clasp. '[...]'
[DoD, p. 677]

[...] They had seen the prince's armour and clothing disintegrating, and then on the man's pallid skin dark swarms – [...]
[tCG, p. 738]

[...] Grimacing, Brys straightened, and then raised one gauntleted hand. [...]
[tCG, p. 747]

..now I want to call him Captain Lether!

I'll see what I can dig up on Krughava..

Edit 2: Behold, Krughava..

[...]Three more figures joined them. All but one wore iron helms, camailed at the back, with sweeping cheek-guards. Grey cloaks, leather gauntlets. [...] Their skins were fair, but all other characteristics remained unseen beneath armour.
'That's a whole lot of chain weighing down that canoe,' [...]
[tBH]

First to appear was a tall, broad-shouldered figure, blackcloaked. Beneath the thick wool was a surcoat of blackened chain that glistened with oil. The longsword at the left hip revealed a silver wolf's-head pommel. The Perish paused, looked round, then approached the Adjunct as others appeared from the rail. [...] That person halted, half-turned, and the voice that emerged from behind the visored helm startled Keneb, for it was a woman's.
She's a damned giant – even the women heavies in our army would hesitate facing this one.
[tBH]

'[...]' He gestured to the huge woman beside him. 'This is the Mortal Sword Krughava.' The Destriant added something in his own language, and in response both the Mortal Sword and the Shield Anvil removed their helms.
Ah, these are hard, hard soldiers. Krughava, iron-haired, was blue-eyed, her weathered face seamed with scars, yet the bones beneath her stern, angular features were robust and even. [...]
[tBH]

The length of blue iron sliding from the scabbard was etched from tip to hilt, two wolves stretched in full charge, every swirl of fur visible, their fangs polished brighter than all else, gleaming, the eyes blackened smears. The artisanship was superb, yet that blade’s edge was notched and battered. Its length gleamed with oil.
The Mortal Sword held the sword horizontally, against her own chest, and there was a formal rigidity to her words as she said, 'I am Krughava, Mortal Sword of the Grey Helms of the Perish, sworn to the Wolves of Winter. In solemn acceptance of all that shall soon come to pass, I pledge my army to your service, Adjunct Tavore Paran. [...]'
[p. tBH]

Mortal Sword Krughava reminded Tanakalian of his childhood. She could have stridden out from any of a dozen tales of legend he had listened to curled up beneath skins and furs, all those breathtaking adventures of great heroes pure of heart, bold and stalwart, who always knew who deserved the sharp end of their sword, and who only ever erred in their faith in others — until such time, at the tale's dramatic climax, when the truth of betrayal and whatnot was revealed, and punishment soundly delivered. […]
Her hair was the hue of iron. Her eyes blazed like clear winter skies, and her face could have been carved from the raw cliffs of Perish. Her physical strength was bound to a matching strength of will and neither seemed assailable by any force in the mortal world. It was said that, even though she was now in her fifth decade of life, no brother or sister of the Order could best her in any of a score of weapons: from skinning knife to mattock.
[DoD, p. 75]

[…] her bright blue eyes.
[DoD, p. 76]

The Mortal Sword had greeted the dreadful news of the Destriant's horrid death in pretty much the expected manner. A hardening of already hard features, eyes glaring like ice, the slow, building rise of questions that Tanakalian either could not hope to answer, or, as it turned out, was unwilling to answer. Questions and unknowns were the deadliest foes for one such as Mortal Sword Krughava, who thrived on certainty regardless of its relationship to reality. He could see how she was rocked, all purchase suddenly uncertain beneath her boots; and the way her left hand twitched — as if eager for the grip of her sword, the sure promise of the heavy iron blade; and the way she instinctively straightened — as if awaiting the weight of her chain surcoat — for this surely was news that demanded she wear armour. [...]
[DoD, p. 76]

'[…]' Saying this, she tugged off her heavy gauntlets. '[...]'
[DoD, p. 79]

For all his haste he found Mortal Sword Krughava already positioned on the rise overlooking the shoreline, red-faced beneath her heavy helm. […] As he approached he could see in her eyes the doom of countless epic poems, as if she had devoted her life to absorbing the tragedies of a thousand years' worth of fallen civilizations, finding the taste savagely pleasing.
Yes, she was a holy terror, this hard, iron woman.
[DoD, p. 187]

'You go too far,' said Krughava, and Tanakalian saw the faint curl of a smile on her lips — a detail that took his breath away.
[DoD, p. 195]

'[…]' She rolled her shoulders in a rustle of chain and buckles. '[…]'
[DoD, p. 197]

She sheathed her sword and strapped it on. '[…]'
[DoD, p. 464]

Something flickered in her hard eyes before she turned […]
[DoD, p. 464]

Her expression darkened beneath the rim of her helm. '[…]'
[DoD, p. 720]

Krughava's bright blue eyes were fixed on him, calculating, thoughtful. '[…]'
[DoD, p. 724]

[…] the tall iron-haired woman pacing in front of him. […]
[DoD, p. 733]

[…] the eyes of the hard, iron woman […]
[tCG, p. 81]

[…] Aranict drew a sharp breath. 'That must be Mortal Sword Krughava. She alone could command a palace tapestry.'
Brys grunted. 'I know what you mean. I have seen a few hard women in my time, but that one… formidable indeed.'
'I doubt I could even lift that sword at her belt.'
[tCG, p. 113]

[Spax] […] 'That Mortal Sword,' he muttered low, 'she comes across with all the soft sweetness of a mouthful of quartz. […]'
[tCG, p. 115]

The grey-haired woman bowed. '[...]'
[tCG, p. 183]

[…] The skin of her thick forearms, where they were crossed over her breasts, had deepened to bronze, a hue that seemed as dusty as the patches of bared earth all around them. The sun had bleached the strands of hair that escaped her helm, and they drifted out like webs on the hot wind. [...]
[tCG, p. 275]

She sat alone, head lowered, her fur cloak drawn tight about her. Weapons laid out to one side, hobbled horse behind her. […]
[tCG, p. 375]

[…] And Mortal Sword Krughava rode it with all the ease and familiarity of a veteran. […]
[tCG, p. 703]

[…] Grub glanced again across at Krughava. She was wearing her helm, the visor dropped down and the hinges locked. The wolfskin cape was too heavy to skirl out behind her, despite the swift pace the Ve'Gath were setting, but still it flowed down with impressive grace along the horizontal back of the K'Chain Che'Malle, sweeping down to cover its hips and the projecting mass of its upper leg muscles, so that the fur rippled and glistened as the muscles bunched and stretched.
[tCG, p. 703]

Krughava's thinned eyes switched to the Teblor commander. '[...]'
[tCG, p. 706]

[…] Because [...] could smell that Mortal Sword, and that woman – that woman was a thing of war.
[tCG, p. 718]

[…] She set her helm down, and drew off her gauntlets.
[tCG, p. 723]

She drew herself up, settling one hand on the pommel of her sword. '[...]'
[tCG, p. 723]

[...] Beneath her heavy armour, she was suddenly cold. [...]
[tCG, p. 724]

Ah, I love Krughava ;)

This post has been edited by Puck: 27 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#32 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Mother of reference!

Ok safe to say we are going with Kurughava ;)

Thank you Kaamos, Puck! Really appreciate getting your help!

#33 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Ok Krughava is happily mocked up and fitted. we just need person number 5. A pick from any of these would do.

Shimmer, Skinner, Gruntle, Fear, Jan or Red Mask?

#34 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Fear and Jan are the first swordiest of all those people I think, but my vote would go to Fear. There's already plenty of cool Seguleh drawings around.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#35 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Fear! Not a huge fan of him, but the Edur get usually trampled under Andii and strutting Toblakai on the field of art, so... ;)

I'm not yet too familiar with Skinner and Shimmer and other such wonderfully rhyming fellers ending in er. Restarted TRotCG after a long break last week, but haven't trotted far...

#36 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hmmmmn...ok fear it is then!

fear:

I got

'Trull saw the tall, broad-shouldered figure of his eldest brother..' (MT UK mmpb, p.42)

'Hiroth's Weapons Master.' (MT UK mmpb, p.49)

And the midnight tides cover...

Posted Image

...but grey.

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 27 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 27 January 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Ok Krughava is happily mocked up and fitted. we just need person number 5. A pick from any of these would do.

Shimmer, Skinner, Gruntle, Fear, Jan or Red Mask?

I'd like to see your version of Gruntle in full Mortal Sword glory, tats, claw/sabers, tiger eyes, etc etc.
Extra points if you incorporate the child banner from MoI.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

I may have a spot for both gruntle and fear. Perhaps an obvious question, whereabouts would fear fit into this group in terms of height? I imagine Krughava to be the tallest but Fear possibly trumps her?

#39 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 27 January 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

And the midnight tides cover...

...but grey.

Had to google one better suited to my eyesight, and found this: http://ecx.images-am...YL._SL1500_.jpg
While I'm drooling at the gorgeous artwork and the tight abs, a real warrior would never leave such a vulnerable area unprotected. And the bare thighs! This is actually one of those rare cases of male fanservice art! ;)
The Edur share the high cheekbones and epicanthic folds of the Andii. Seren observes the handsomeness of the Edur males a few times during MT, which is why I don't agree with this cover variant.
As for the height, 2m or slightly taller? I've imagined Krughava looming around two meters. Just don't go Rime Coldspray on her, she's well over 3m. :-D

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 28 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

#40 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hey Kaamos, where do you dig up these images.

Whoever Rime Coldspray is, the moment I saw that picture, I felt an overwhelming urge to just run.
And that poor schmuck posing as Fear Sengar (whatever language that is). That would be what SE would look like if he sees the cover.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users