#1 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

Well...

Like I said in Paint by Numbers, I wanted to do a final project for myself and the forum before I head out on holiday.
This year was tough but I got to read one of the best endings to a story in a long time, Thank you Mr Erikson.
Had to do something to celebrate it.

(Also a seperate thread for my final stuff so I don't flood PbN :) )

Enjoy:

Attached File  LAST ONES OUT final.jpg (567.35K)
Number of downloads: 39
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#2 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I like it. Who is the guy with the crossbow supposed to be? Hedge?

#3 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 21 November 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I like it. Who is the guy with the crossbow supposed to be? Hedge?

Yep, I thought Hedge in his younger days might look like this. A little less scarage, alot more teeth. Its based loosely off a sketch by Onrack which I really liked.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah I can see a younger hedge with more hair looking like that, but I wasn't sure.

#5 User is offline   Jordy Knoop 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Art, Drumming, Sculpting, Reading, Fitness, Skateboarding, Painting

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Nice man! Like them vibrant colours you got going on and a very interesting and great design on whiskeyjack! Really digging most of the armor designs in general!

If you want some artistic feedback I'd suggest checking your proportions. It's fine on most character but on the one with the red hair and a few others it's a little bit off. Always handy to measure the body through the head size. Normally a chest is 3 heads long from chin to crotch but the red haired guy is only 2 heads. Just something to take into consideration. I like too look at some loomis male proportions. Anyways very nice piece man! Enjoy your holiday!

#6 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

Really great artwork. I mean really really great. :)

#7 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostJordy Knoop, on 21 November 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Nice man! Like them vibrant colours you got going on and a very interesting and great design on whiskeyjack! Really digging most of the armor designs in general!

If you want some artistic feedback I'd suggest checking your proportions. It's fine on most character but on the one with the red hair and a few others it's a little bit off. Always handy to measure the body through the head size. Normally a chest is 3 heads long from chin to crotch but the red haired guy is only 2 heads. Just something to take into consideration. I like too look at some loomis male proportions. Anyways very nice piece man! Enjoy your holiday!

Oh man proportions, the arch nemesis! Thanks for the feedback Jordy, really appreciate it. I actually felt something was off about the proportions. played with the head sizes for a full hour trying to figure out what was nagging me about it. W

I cracked up when I googled Loomis Male proportions and the first thing I saw were semi nude sketchess, "mugg shot" style, with Thor, Batman, Wolverine and a ridiculously tiny Robin. Regardless of that I'm gonna do a few studies on this particular weak ankle. Thanks again.

@StormCat: Thank You!

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 22 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

NICE!

Who's that between WJ and Antsy?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

That, good sir, would be Mallet.

Round faced and large-ish is all I had to go on. figured I'd throw in a round body but its not that visible...

#10 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Holy Perkele, whiskeyarmor's beyond cool. :( *want* And Detts' charms stole the stage after all. (Although the question remains: does she use one of those cups as a detachable soup bowl?)

I see a couple of things I might redline, but only if you're interested in tweaking this further. :D

#11 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostKaamos, on 27 November 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Holy Perkele, whiskeyarmor's beyond cool. :D *want* And Detts' charms stole the stage after all. (Although the question remains: does she use one of those cups as a detachable soup bowl?)

I see a couple of things I might redline, but only if you're interested in tweaking this further. :D

Does she use one of the cups as a detachable bowl...

why not? I'd think it'd make a better mini bank though. I can't think of anyplace safer.

Wouldn't mind a redline, I know theres still much to improve. :(

#12 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 29 November 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

View PostKaamos, on 27 November 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Holy Perkele, whiskeyarmor's beyond cool. :p *want* And Detts' charms stole the stage after all. (Although the question remains: does she use one of those cups as a detachable soup bowl?)

I see a couple of things I might redline, but only if you're interested in tweaking this further. :p

Does she use one of the cups as a detachable bowl...

why not? I'd think it'd make a better mini bank though. I can't think of anyplace safer.

Wouldn't mind a redline, I know theres still much to improve. :p

Cash might indeed be safe and snug there, but Imagine the rattle of coins when they run...

"Detoran! Tell yer tits to shut it!"

Will have to push art helpdesking to next week, however. :p

#13 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Attached File  dolmencrit2.jpg (293.79K)
Number of downloads: 15

So a couple of things here. Hands are tricksy, but those of Kalam and Asterix there could use a little redrawing, also Asterix in general: a little too much foreshortening on either the uppers arms or the forearms there, which makes the limbs look oddly proportioned. I'd also give his forearms in particular some more shape. ;) The level of nipples should be one head length from the chin, thinking his pectoral guard should reach lower.
Quick Ben's face: I think more cheek and browridge should be showing on the other side while taking that expression. Also his eyes may be too wide for that angle. The redhead next to him still has some proportional issues, see PbN thread what I mentioned about arm lengths. ;) Some minor symmetry fixes perhaps to Detts' armor and give her a teensy bit more muscle beneath the arms? Again, some minor issues here and there about the alignment of the eyes in the faces, Apsalar and Quick mainly. Something bit funny still about the position of Kalam's arms, but cannot put my thumb on it entirely.
Hope some of this helps!

I was also going to mention about the sizes of the heads in proportion to the rest of the body, but forgot. The "ideal" for the male body is 8 head lengths (female 71/2 heads), but of course all kinds of variations exist in reality.

#14 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Sorry I missed this redline.

Rep to you Madame, really helpful!

#15 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

Attached File  THE SHORE 006S.jpg (255.06K)
Number of downloads: 14
YEDAN DERYG

Suuuper bummed I could not make the dragon work out. Tempted to make a sister version showing happenings on the "otherside".

Done in several steps. Not sure I enjoyed it but I definately learned from it. My sketch you all can find in the PbN thread. Clean lines after that then layers of colour flats and some edits thanks to CN and Kaamos. Took me a while to get each step to where I wanted it. Its a bit strange to me but I like it. If I ever get a comic together I think I'd streamline this process for it, just need to work on my proportions and the accuracy of my linework.

Anyways hope you guys like it. Cheers!

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 05 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

#16 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Uuuu he looks hot with the beard. :-D I have a few suggestions (and redlines now that I look at it on a larger screen), I'll return to that during the weekend.

#17 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostKaamos, on 30 December 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Attachment dolmencrit2.jpg

So a couple of things here. Hands are tricksy, but those of Kalam and Asterix there could use a little redrawing, also Asterix in general: a little too much foreshortening on either the uppers arms or the forearms there, which makes the limbs look oddly proportioned. I'd also give his forearms in particular some more shape. :harhar: The level of nipples should be one head length from the chin, thinking his pectoral guard should reach lower.
Quick Ben's face: I think more cheek and browridge should be showing on the other side while taking that expression. Also his eyes may be too wide for that angle. The redhead next to him still has some proportional issues, see PbN thread what I mentioned about arm lengths. :p Some minor symmetry fixes perhaps to Detts' armor and give her a teensy bit more muscle beneath the arms? Again, some minor issues here and there about the alignment of the eyes in the faces, Apsalar and Quick mainly. Something bit funny still about the position of Kalam's arms, but cannot put my thumb on it entirely.
Hope some of this helps!

I was also going to mention about the sizes of the heads in proportion to the rest of the body, but forgot. The "ideal" for the male body is 8 head lengths (female 71/2 heads), but of course all kinds of variations exist in reality.

I like it. I have to say though that my first thought was "why is Tanis Half-Elven standing next to Quick Ben" though.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#18 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

heh thanks and I'm like Tanis wha- just googled him and you're totally right! WOW its uncanny! :harhar:

#19 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

just curious if you left trotts out for a reason or if he was forgotten (poor guy!) since with his tattooed skin and filed sharp teeth that he loves to show off, i'd imagine him to be ripe for artistic rendition.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#20 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Antsy's squad with Picker, Blend, Bluepearl, etc. would be cool to do.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users