• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

+Artwork Cheers

#201 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

Great K'rul's Bar reunion! Got a naming chart?

#202 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 May 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Great K'rul's Bar reunion! Got a naming chart?

Its that scene from the invasion of Lethar,est I can recall (got a bit of a memory problem atm).

The one where they meet up in some Bar? super vague on it. I just have the mental image burned in my head of the soldiers meeting up with Hellians lot during the Letharii invasion and thinking, thats gotta be a jarring image. Heads on one table and Pints the other? gotta paint that!

From Left to right:

Bottle (and his cat), Gesler, Fid Urb Hellian and I'd like to say Lutes but honestly I have no clue, could have been trying for Brethless or Touchy...possibly Maybe? can't recall who made it to the Bar.

(Need a Reread this holiday.) in the back I was going for Corabb Bhilan Thenu'alas, Koryk and Smiles. I think

Any feedback you have is super welcome.

As Promised:

Posted Image
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#203 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

Oh, yeah, I remember that scene. It's where all the squads are reuniting after quietly invading Lether.

No advice for it - it's really good!

#204 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

:( I have been waiting for the finished version of that picture!!!!

Thanks for getting round to it, Dolmen!!!

I always thought it quite a macabre kind of chapter - on one hand people were dying by the score and on the other hand Hellian taking over the bar and having a party - with severed heads and all... quite surreal!

My favourite works of yours are the action scenes...

http://malazan.wikia...by_Shadaan.jpeg
http://malazan.wikia..._by_Shadaan.jpg
http://malazan.wikia...by_Shadaan.jpeg

I think you are brilliant at setting the scene and capturing the action - would love you to be tempted to do more of that kind of stuff.

I am never that keen on Siren images - I like the female protagonists to look dressed for the job :) so boots, leggings, jerkins a la Hellian rather than Spite outfit - mean rather than enticing, lol. How about doing an action pic with one of the girls? For example Lostara Yil in tCG? Or Vorcan - the scene where she has chained herself in the basement just came to mind - that could be a really dramatic pic. Slightly demonic, come to think of it :D Anyway, I sure that whatever you draw will be pretty exceptional and I can't wait to see it!!!

#205 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

I have to agree. You, Dolmen, make kickass action scenes, and scenes in general. It's fun to go looking for all the details, and I'm a big fan of your use of light and shadows :(

Also, I love that Hellian!

As to Spite, while I also generally prefer female characters dressed for the job, iirc, Spite isn't exactly practical. I like it.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#206 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

PS: will you be uploading it to the Wiki, Dolmen?

#207 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostEgwene, on 29 May 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

...So boots, leggings, jerkins a la Hellian rather than Spite outfit - mean rather than enticing, lol. How about doing an action pic with one of the girls? For example Lostara Yil in tCG? Or Vorcan - the scene where she has chained herself in the basement just came to mind - that could be a really dramatic pic. Slightly demonic, come to think of it ;) Anyway, I sure that whatever you draw will be pretty exceptional and I can't wait to see it!!!

View PostPuck, on 29 May 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

I have to agree. You, Dolmen, make kickass action scenes, and scenes in general. It's fun to go looking for all the details, and I'm a big fan of your use of light and shadows :p Also, I love that Hellian!As to Spite, while I also generally prefer female characters dressed for the job, iirc, Spite isn't exactly practical. I like it.

Posted Image

Thank you both for encouraging me to flip my work but keep my style. I watched Ian McMaig interviews this last weekend. He's all about rethinking the conventional.

It makes concept work exciting again!

I'm gonna take this up, try more female action scenes. Lostara Yil and Vorcan are characters I have to sit with. something about them just felt elusive on paper. Please keep throwing ideas and I'll try to see what ideas stick.

I'll give it my best try. :p

View PostEgwene, on 29 May 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

PS: will you be uploading it to the Wiki, Dolmen?

Done!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#208 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for uploading Hellian and Co to the Wiki, Dolmen - Andorion has already nominated it for this week's Image of the Week! :p

I have linked the image back to your DA profile page as I could not find an individual upload for it. By the way... is 'Bottle and his CAT' a deliberate play on words... or just typo?

Love those sketches for Vorcan and Lostara... especially the Vorcan one... I found that scene in the book very visual... I have this mental image of her, looking like someone who has not been outside that room for ages and who looks like a tormented/demented prisoner, yet at the same time, there is that aura of power crackling around her, the wards she set up crackling... your sketch is definitely heading in the right direction.

I am thrilled you'll be doing more scenes... and with the girls...

Some of the more mundane scenes where we have quite a lot of insights into characters thoughts would make for great visuals, I think... for example, when Picker puts on the torcs, then realises she can't take them off again... her face full of horror, Blend looking on... and in the background the trader scuttling off to his appointment with the Crippled God... it's scenes like that where SE makes me feel like I am right there, standing next to the characters.

Not the girls... but Hood and the dogs... one of my all time favourite scenes in the books. Almighty ex-God of the Dead, getting bitten then 'watered' by Roach. Scenes like that are just crying out to be put on canvas (and screen !).

#209 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostEgwene, on 02 June 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

Thanks for uploading Hellian and Co to the Wiki, Dolmen - Andorion has already nominated it for this week's Image of the Week! :p

I have linked the image back to your DA profile page as I could not find an individual upload for it. By the way... is 'Bottle and his CAT' a deliberate play on words... or just typo?

...jUSt a TYp0. ;)

Thanks for nominating it Andorian, I'm gonna leave off uploading to deviantart till I get more work done. linking back to my front page would be great, thank you Egwene.

Love those sketches for Vorcan and Lostara... especially the Vorcan one... I found that scene in the book very visual... I have this mental image of her, looking like someone who has not been outside that room for ages and who looks like a tormented/demented prisoner, yet at the same time, there is that aura of power crackling around her, the wards she set up crackling... your sketch is definitely heading in the right direction.

I thought I'd take it from there:

Attached File  vorcan 1-3.jpg (298.67K)
Number of downloads: 1

Working on it as fast as I can to keep the motivation, might post more this evening.

I am thrilled you'll be doing more scenes... and with the girls...

Some of the more mundane scenes where we have quite a lot of insights into characters thoughts would make for great visuals, I think... for example, when Picker puts on the torcs, then realises she can't take them off again... her face full of horror, Blend looking on... and in the background the trader scuttling off to his appointment with the Crippled God... it's scenes like that where SE makes me feel like I am right there, standing next to the characters.

Not the girls... but Hood and the dogs... one of my all time favourite scenes in the books. Almighty ex-God of the Dead, getting bitten then 'watered' by Roach. Scenes like that are just crying out to be put on canvas (and screen !).

I like those scenes. I'm not that great at comic expressions but I like the idea of trying a few. Will take a swing at Picker trying on the Torcs. Hopefully another artist on here can give Hood and the dogs a try?

#210 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

I hope so - Hood and Roach is definitely high up on my most wanted list!!!

Really looking forward to those images :p

#211 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Taking things forward on the Vorcan scene and a little spread of the Envy & Spite sisters.

I loved this, it was enjoyable and I'm pleased with my time on it. Going to try that picker Torc scene.

I'll be that weird guy in the hoodie googling comedy scenes till something sparks.

#212 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

I am offline a lot at the moment so missed the grand unveiling of this one. I especially like what you did with Vorcan.

Are you still working on it, Dolmen? I just noticed that Taya's (assume it is her) back foot is missing the footwear.

Of the two sisters, I think Envy's face is the run-away eye catcher. You ought to flesh that out as a portrait!

Hope you will upload those to the Wiki when they are finished :)

#213 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostEgwene, on 14 June 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

I am offline a lot at the moment so missed the grand unveiling of this one. I especially like what you did with Vorcan.

Are you still working on it, Dolmen? I just noticed that Taya's (assume it is her) back foot is missing the footwear.

Of the two sisters, I think Envy's face is the run-away eye catcher. You ought to flesh that out as a portrait!

Hope you will upload those to the Wiki when they are finished :)

Hey Egwene, Yes I am still working on those, Taya is indeed in the foreground. I'm also working on that scene you mentioned upthread:

Posted Image

Mrs Dolmen and tiny Ms Dolmen are off to Cape town so I'll have quite a lot of Tablet time to warm up!

I Intend to do a character piece for several female characters. Women are easy (and pleasing) to draw and I enjoy building up that part of my Malazan portfolio.

Soon I will be able to print myself a booklet :)

#214 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

How is tiny Ms Dolmen? Showing artistic talent yet with an eye for unusual canvasses? Walls, chairs, sofas etc. :)

#215 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:23 AM

View PostEgwene, on 16 June 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

How is tiny Ms Dolmen? Showing artistic talent yet with an eye for unusual canvasses? Walls, chairs, sofas etc. :)

Heh, she did manage two lines on a colour-in book. They were brown.

It was a very controlled sunday school session. I feel she had alot of pressure on her at the time. Not enough mood music to bring out her muse... :)

I'm also happy to announce Tiny Ms Dolmen is now mobile! Sadly I wasnt there for her first steps but man what a game changer!

I'll be posting the character sheet for picker and blend before delving further into the Torc scene.

Will neaten it up, post it this evening.

Serious question: Was Picker Gadrobi or just taller than most Gadrobi?

and was Blend from Li Heng? because I've got a blonde long haired Picker and an asiatic Blend.

My Picker seems worlds away from CN's take.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 19 June 2016 - 05:25 AM

#216 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:33 AM

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 19 June 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

View PostEgwene, on 16 June 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

Heh, she did manage two lines on a colour-in book. They were brown.

It was a very controlled sunday school session. I feel she had alot of pressure on her at the time. Not enough mood music to bring out her muse... :D

I'm also happy to announce Tiny Ms Dolmen is now mobile! Sadly I wasnt there for her first steps but man what a game changer!

I'll be posting the character sheet for picker and blend before delving further into the Torc scene.

Will neaten it up, post it this evening.

Serious question: Was Picker Gadrobi or just taller than most Gadrobi?

and was Blend from Li Heng? because I've got a blonde long haired Picker and an asiatic Blend.

My Picker seems worlds away from CN's take.

Congratulations. Now its getting serious :)

Serious answer: Picker was just a head taller than the average Gadrobi. About Blend I'm unsure. I could only remember that she had dark eyes. Not sure about her "nationality". Had Hengians asiatic features as well? I can only remember the Kanese. Back to the original topic. I somehow pictured Blend always with black hair and a head or so shorter than Picker. But I'm unsure if this came from a description in the books. Maybe it was just my imagination.

#217 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

LOL, I can only echo Coltaine's sentiments, lol. Just remember that toddlers break every 0-100 speed records ever posted by the likes of Porsche and Ferrari!

I had a quick look but could not find anything further about Blend either. That maybe quite deliberate on Erikson's part as she is meant to blend in so much that you just don't notice her or what she looks like. Might need to depict her with shadowy blurred outlines :)

#218 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

I remember one of them being described as having curly hair somewhere in TTH, I think it was Blend and the hair was shoulder-length, black and curly
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#219 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

I thought the curly hair was for Picker.
Blend was described small with dark eyes and hair... I think, maybe not the hair, can't remember
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#220 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

From the old wiki

Picker Name: Picker

Pseudonyms: Pick

Race: Human

Appearance: Large, full-figured

Further Info: A member of the Bridgeburners. Retired to Darujhistan after the Pannion Domin campaign. Blend's lover.

Picker, 7th Squad

GotM, Dramatis Personae

"One old woman lounged on a nearby cot, her rag-wrapped feet jutting over the end."

- thoughts of Ganoes Paran

GotM, UK mmpb, p.118

"She worked the ivory rings up her scarred, muscled arm."

MoI, UK mmpb, p.79

"She wore that huge, thick woollen cloak because she was getting heavy and it clearly made her self-conscious."

- thoughts of Dester Thrin

TtH, US TPB, p.30

Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users