#121 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

When warm ups exceed expectation.

My mind was on the scene when I woke up. Touched pen to tablet and this came up.

Posted Image

Needless to say I'm thoroughly depressed now. Excuse me as I crawl back into the blankets and sob like a little girl.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#122 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

Malaclypse, on 27 September 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

Tiste Simeon, on 26 September 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Malaclypse, on 23 September 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

Better - someone needs to do the scene where Brood is considering ending civilisation, Korlat despairing under a dripping, crumbling Moon's Spawn, a battle raging in the distant background - Trake's Legion as a giant tiger, Quick Ben on a rise casting..something, explosions, K'ell Hunters, demon-stuffed vultures, Great Ravens, Moranth, etc etc etc

I think I'd part with considerable amounts of money for a decent quality print of that!

This is one thing we can agree on B)

I'd love to try that but my backgrounds really aren't up to scratch yet.

Also I'm really rusty on the details of that book.

Maybe when I've built more confidence on the simpler scenes I'll give it a go.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#123 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

What scene is that Dolmen?

Kind of looks familiar, but can't place it.

EDIT: Draconus returning?

This post has been edited by Corporal Nobbs: 27 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#124 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

Corporal Nobbs, on 27 October 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

What scene is that Dolmen?

Kind of looks familiar, but can't place it.

EDIT: Draconus returning?

Yep, ( from dust of dreams?)

Spoiler

#125 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

Ok so this month I'm doing a Party-Hard scene.

Which "Party" Scene in the books do you guys think I should attempt?

#126 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

What do you mean by party?

#127 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:32 AM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 27 November 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Effectively all the times in the series characters get to relax as a group? Like the acceptance of the malazans by the bharghast or the scene with the quorls milk. That time the soldiers fought scorpions?

I'm thinking the lighter side of the series, i know theres precious few scenes like that, i'd like to try one that we all enjoy.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 27 November 2014 - 11:32 AM

#128 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:13 PM

Dolmen 2.0, on 27 November 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Effectively all the times in the series characters get to relax as a group? Like the acceptance of the malazans by the bharghast or the scene with the quorls milk. That time the soldiers fought scorpions?

I'm thinking the lighter side of the series, i know theres precious few scenes like that, i'd like to try one that we all enjoy.

Off the top of my head, Tehol and co. with chickens. Also Hellians party/fight in the abandoned inn in RG.

#129 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

Andorion, on 27 November 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Dolmen 2.0, on 27 November 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Off the top of my head, Tehol and co. with chickens. Also Hellians party/fight in the abandoned inn in RG.

Are you talking about the moment with Janath, Bugg and the chicken tea?

And I can't seem to find Hellians Party/fight? Could somebody help me with the page? That might be more what I'd like to try. :The Force:

Edit:

Found it right at the beginning of Reapers Gale, Kept skipping it.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 06 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

#130 User is offline   Enaglio 

• Fist
  • Interests:Tattooing, Painting, Reading, Olde English Bulldogges

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

I think that the party/fight they are referring to is in the Reaper's Gale. In my Tor Hardcover edition it is around page 630 something. I also was thinking about this scene but am having trouble figuring out the blocking for it. There are lots of characters in different states of drunkeness at different parts of a Letherii inn. Do you try to capture the whole scene or focus on a single group of characters? I'm stuck on this point.

#131 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

Damn, paging through RG and Keep landing on great scenes. Erikson has a largely unappreciated knack for comedy. (Mind Still need to get a hold of Willful Child)

It's awesome you're also dealing with this, its tough to put the pieces together.

I'm not sure I can fit the full scene, I'd rather try catch a group of the better described characters. Urb for one, I've always wanted to sketch out.

But that's the problem isn't it? If you want to show a party-scene you kinda need to catch all the crazy antics. I'm sketching characters at the moment.

Fleshing out what they look like in my head.

#132 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

Although not so much of a 'party', what about the reading where they all get flung to the wall? That should make for an interesting picture!

#133 User is offline   Enaglio 

• Fist

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Dolmen 2.0, on 06 December 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Damn, paging through RG and Keep landing on great scenes. Erikson has a largely unappreciated knack for comedy. (Mind Still need to get a hold of Willful Child)

It's awesome you're also dealing with this, its tough to put the pieces together.

I'm not sure I can fit the full scene, I'd rather try catch a group of the better described characters. Urb for one, I've always wanted to sketch out.

But that's the problem isn't it? If you want to show a party-scene you kinda need to catch all the crazy antics. I'm sketching characters at the moment.

I've been thinking about it and it seems to me that the most important elements are Hellian and Urb, the pile of Edur and Letherii heads on a table,and Gesler and Fiddler hugging.
The way I've been thinking about doing this is to have Ges and Fid way in the foreground. Essentially right inside the doorway. Then going back in space a couple of tables with semi-obscured characters. Next would be Hellian and Urb's scene, probably under some kind of light. Then against the back wall, next to the bar the table with the heads.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas for your own composition. I'm still intimidated by this scene, so I've worked out Karsa vs Rhulad at the end of the book. It is a little more straight forward. After that I think I should be ready to give this one a go. Time to start tracking down Urb's character descriptions.

Good luck with yours. Can't wait to see it.

Of course you could also run the scene the opposite way, with the door inn in the background. Hell, the scene could even be from the scared Letherii innkeepers point of view. Arrgh, it is maddening isn't it?

This post has been edited by Enaglio: 07 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

#134 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Enaglio, on 07 December 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I've been thinking about it and it seems to me that the most important elements are Hellian and Urb, the pile of Edur and Letherii heads on a table,and Gesler and Fiddler hugging.
The way I've been thinking about doing this is to have Ges and Fid way in the foreground. Essentially right inside the doorway. Then going back in space a couple of tables with semi-obscured characters. Next would be Hellian and Urb's scene, probably under some kind of light. Then against the back wall, next to the bar the table with the heads.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas for your own composition. I'm still intimidated by this scene, so I've worked out Karsa vs Rhulad at the end of the book. It is a little more straight forward. After that I think I should be ready to give this one a go. Time to start tracking down Urb's character descriptions.

Of course you could also run the scene the opposite way, with the door inn in the background. Hell, the scene could even be from the scared Letherii innkeepers point of view. Arrgh, it is maddening isn't it?

Its a huge scene to tackle all at once.

I read it over and imagine the image will be busy, almost "wheres wally" busy.

I think id like to focus on the sergeants bear hugging each other as its just before most of fids soldiers step in but theres still lots of characters in the inn to cover... I dont even know what Reem or Balgrid look like. Beak and faradan sort would need to be there and ofcourse Hellian, Urb and Maybe. I was shocked to find i had no mental picture of them in my head. Will need to do quite a bit of ground work...

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 08 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

#135 User is offline   Enaglio 

• Fist

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:23 AM

Dolmen 2.0, on 08 December 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Enaglio, on 07 December 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

Its a huge scene to tackle all at once.

I read it over and imagine the image will be busy, almost "wheres wally" busy.

I think id like to focus on the sergeants bear hugging each other as its just before most of fids soldiers step in but theres still lots of characters in the inn to cover... I dont even know what Reem or Balgrid look like. Beak and faradan sort would need to be there and ofcourse Hellian, Urb and Maybe. I was shocked to find i had no mental picture of them in my head. Will need to do quite a bit of ground work...

I know what you mean, last night I went searching for descriptions of Gesler and found out that he is actually Kanese with a bald head with shaving scars. I know that Urb is bearded and hangs his bone from his beard. I'll have to go digging further. But, hey, I guess that's half the fun.

#136 User is offline   Enaglio 

• Fist

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:28 AM

And Touchy and Breathless are around Hellian. I have no idea what they look like.

#137 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:07 AM

Attached File  bar sceneSH.jpg (230.87K)
Number of downloads: 15

CHARACTER SKETCH: Hellian

I'm gonna try Urb then Fid and Ges. I thought Ges was Falari? Or is that just Fiddler?

#138 User is offline   Enaglio 

• Fist

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

I thought so too, but in DH he is described as Kanese. I think people keep calling him Falari because of the bronze skin from his trip through the warren. In typical Erikson fashion, misinformation abounds. Look for the first time Duiker and Kulp meet Gesler in DH.

#139 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

Dolmen 2.0, on 10 December 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

bar sceneSH.jpg

I'm gonna try Urb then Fid and Ges. I thought Ges was Falari? Or is that just Fiddler?

LOL, that is a brilliant sketch - love the second head especially!!!! :crybaby: Can't wait to see the full picture.

#140 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

Dolmen 2.0, on 10 December 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

bar sceneSH.jpg

Very nice!

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users