The Vampire with the Dragon Tattoo

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/0062107739

Posted Image

He's out of control

Dougal Kincaid has something to prove. After being injured in a battle with the Malcontents, he's ready for active duty protecting unsuspecting mortals from these villainous vampires who want to rule the world. But first he has to get control of himself . . . because just the sight of a certain lovely doctor has his injured hand doing some peculiar things, not to mention the sizzling sensation that burns along his dragon tattoo . . .

Vampires? Vampires?! As a scientist, Leah is having trouble believing that these immortal creatures exist. But there they are, standing in front of her, asking for help in solving a genetic puzzle that can save mankind. There's even one in a sexy kilt! Just one look into Dougal's gorgeous green eyes sets her pulse racing. But can she trust him—and the overwhelming desire that refuses to be ignored . . . ?

I saw this book online and I immediately thought it was literary satire mixing Twilight and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I was wrong.

I... I kind of want to read this just to see how bad it is.

#2 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I expect a 500-word book report when you're finished.

Finished vomiting, that is.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

^^This.

Apt, you are one strange muthafucka
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Apt. Listen closely.

We want you to carefully excise whatever part of your brain is prompting this, and isolate it.
Then pick up a copy of any MBF, or HEROES DIE, or whatever... and CRUSH IT INTO PASTE.

This is for your own good.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Apt. Listen closely.

We want you to carefully excise whatever part of your brain is prompting this, and isolate feed it.

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

^^This.

He IS from Copenhagen, so it's not really surprising. They're a strange lot them folk, more swedish than man...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hey, fuck you, I'm from Syd-Sjælland. Don't lump me in with Københavnerne, you half German potato farmer!

#8 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Apt. Listen closely.

We want you to carefully excise whatever part of your brain is prompting this, and isolate it.
Then pick up a copy of any MBF, or HEROES DIE, or whatever... and CRUSH IT INTO PASTE.

This is for your own good.

But those are good books.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#9 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 26 September 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hey, fuck you, I'm from Syd-Sjælland. Don't lump me in with Københavnerne, you half German potato farmer!

As if that's any better :rofl:

#10 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Morbidly curious Apt.
Fucking read it

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 26 September 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Okay, that last bit made me LOL.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 26 September 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

I expect a 500-word book report when you're finished.

Finished vomiting, that is.

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

^^This.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 26 September 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Apt. Listen closely.

We want you to carefully excise whatever part of your brain is prompting this, and isolate feed it.

View PostMacros, on 26 September 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Morbidly curious Apt.
Fucking read it

Well, now you've done it. I just went and downloaded it.

I was planning on starting up Butcher's "Captain's Fury" next but I need to sate my curiosity.

#13 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Just from the cover I can tell it's going to be exactly like all those trashy novels my sister reads, only with vampires.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

This is the opening chapter:

http://www.kerrelyns...august2013.html

THE VAMPIRE WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
by Kerrelyn Sparks

CHAPTER ONE

Dougal Kincaid was not in a partying mood.

As he entered the ballroom at Romatech Industries, his stomach churned. Too many people. The jarring noise of all their voices grated on his ears, and he dreaded the thought of participating in meaningless chatter. For centuries, he’d avoided these situations by playing the pipes, but those days were gone. That left him with one option for surviving the night.

Blissky.

Hopefully the mixture of synthetic blood and whisky would deaden his undead senses before he was confronted with the same questions he’d been hearing for the past four years. How’s your new prosthesis? Can you still wield a sword? Will you be able to play the pipes again?

He had a better question: how fast could he get drunk? He headed for the refreshment tables.

They mean well, he reminded himself. It was the only way they knew how to show their concern. It was better than having no one who cared. But damn, he’d lost a hand, not his pride. A man was more than his hands. More than his music? His chest clenched with the familiar pang of grief. Without music, his soul felt half empty. And the half that remained was a sad melody of regret.

------

This is the authors 14th book in the series. Good lord.

EDIT: The name for Whiskey and synthetic blood is Blissky. The name for Beer and synthetic blood is Bleer... fucking kill me now.

EDIT: Oh and the name for blood and champagne is Bubbly Blood. Fuck.

This post has been edited by Crustaceous Apt: 26 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

#15 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

wait...he doesn't have a hand?

But that image of the dreamy tall glass of water in the OP has two??? *SWOON!*

I can see them professionally positioned at 10 and 2!

EDIT: goes without saying my man card will not be refunded. But neither will Apts and I'm ok with that.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 26 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#16 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 26 September 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

fucking kill me now.

:rofl: :apt: You have only yourself to blame.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

:rofl:

Bizarrely enough, this isn't the only book by that name. This (the first book of a trilogy by J. R. Rain) also exists:

Three years ago, high school student Veronica Fortune witnessed the brutal murder of her parents. Now armed and dangerous, she sets out to hunt down the very thing that destroyed her life.

That is, until she disappears.

Spinoza is a private investigator who specializes in finding the missing. He's good at what he does. Damn good. But he's also a recovering alcoholic and a royal mess. Hired to find Veronica, Spinoza won't let his personal demons—or demons of any kind—get in the way of finding the truth about the missing girl.

Now following a bizarre set of clues that leads him into stranger and stranger territory, Spinoza is about to come face-to-face with something legendary...and something hungry for blood.

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

Read the first chapter and called it a day.

It's not as bad as I expected. I thought it was going to be some kind of vampire erotica novel but there hasn't been any vampire blowjobs yet.

It feels like I am reading a mix between the Charmed tv show and Angel and maybe... The Navy Seals and The Bold and the Beautiful? There's obviously a whole ton of backstory I am missing it being the 14th book but in a typical "episodic urban fantasy 40 books series" kind of way it is pretty good about explaining everything you are already supposed to know. Like the Dresden Files.

The writing's mediochre and filled with bad narrative and weird choices in names but it's not unreadable in any way. I am annoyed that the main character and his boss are both speaking in Scotish accents. It's goofy as fuck.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 26 September 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

:rofl:

Bizarrely enough, this isn't the only book by that name. This (the first book of a trilogy by J. R. Rain) also exists:

Three years ago, high school student Veronica Fortune witnessed the brutal murder of her parents. Now armed and dangerous, she sets out to hunt down the very thing that destroyed her life.

That is, until she disappears.

Spinoza is a private investigator who specializes in finding the missing. He's good at what he does. Damn good. But he's also a recovering alcoholic and a royal mess. Hired to find Veronica, Spinoza won't let his personal demons—or demons of any kind—get in the way of finding the truth about the missing girl.

Now following a bizarre set of clues that leads him into stranger and stranger territory, Spinoza is about to come face-to-face with something legendary...and something hungry for blood.

Posted Image

It's a trilogy. I wonder if the author named the other two books after the rest of the titles in the Millenium series.

#20 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

OMG!!! :rofl: :apt: :( Sounds SO romantic!!! Must read!!!!;):D:)

Let's see, I could listen to this brain-damaging atrocity OMG TEH BEST BOOK EVAH!!! on audio while drawing some wip(s) onwards during the weekend. This will prove...an intriguing experience.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users