• You cannot reply to this topic

Spite and Starvald Demelain

#1 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Spite seems to be a dragon.

In BaB, she has this form.

She had one stunning glimpse of a great draconic shape, golden-red, claws extended, stooping, snarling teeth agape, before those claws clamped on to the craft and she was plunged beneath the clouded ochre-hued water.

In Bonehunters, she uses SD

She said, ‘In the name of the Warren of Starvald Demelain, I invoke the ritual of release.’ And from her words descended, through dead tree root, through stone and sand, dissolving ward after ward, a force of entropy, known to the world as otataral.

Is she an Elient or a Soletaken?
She seems like an Elient to me because of her rather dimissive attitude to soletaken.

Spite sneered her distaste. ‘Soletaken degenerates. Gone feral, I see. What would you have of me?’

I can not recollect who else used the SD warren in the series?

If she is an Elient, there might be an interesting relationship between the Elient and the Azathanaii.

#2 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

I thought Spite and Envy were both Soletaken dragons. I haven't read BaB yet, but I guess she's making scathing comments about Soletaken that have gone feral - stayed as dragons and no longer return to human form, rather than Soletaken in general.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

She's soletaken, not Elient. Her parents are:

Forge of Darkness spoilers:

Spoiler

I think we'll have to wait for the other two books in the Kharkanas trilogy to know what kind of relationship there is between Azathanai and Dragons but considering that K'rul fucked the dragons over royally, and we've seen Triss slaughtering a bunch of them, I doubt there was ever much love.

This post has been edited by Crustaceous Apt: 23 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

#4 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostTraveller, on 23 September 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

I thought Spite and Envy were both Soletaken dragons. I haven't read BaB yet, but I guess she's making scathing comments about Soletaken that have gone feral - stayed as dragons and no longer return to human form, rather than Soletaken in general.

I would assume that Envy is also a Soletaken dragon, though I can't recall an instance of her veering, just on the basis that Spite is.

Spite is shown to be a soletaken dragon from her introduction.

Given their shared parentage, I'd definitely say they're shapeshifters, not true eleint. Though that relationship might be much more complicated.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#5 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Spoiler

Please watch the FoD spoiliers ~Bubba
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

The Dramatis Personae of Bonehunters calls Spite a Soletaken. Also there is a description of her hand, in human form, being rust red with scales... which I wonder might be more related to some worshipped image, than her actual normal appearance, but I don't think there is any reason to second guess her having fed on a Dragon at some point.

During the Tiste civil war a lot of people became Draconean Soletaken. No reason to doubt Spite could have been there. Hell, even as a child she could probably have picked a fight with a Dragon and ate its heart.

I think the Azathanai can be what ever size they want. Kilmandaros is HUGE in Forge of Darkness for example.

This post has been edited by Crustaceous Apt: 23 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

#7 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 23 September 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

The Dramatis Personae of Bonehunters calls Spite a Soletaken.

That's all I need. Unless I hear otherwise, then I'm going with ST.

But back to OP question, I've always though "Elient" just a fancy name for full-blooded, born-that-way Dragons.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#8 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:43 AM

It is, I think.

The difference between Azathanai shapeshifting and Soletaken shapeshifting, mostly if there are any drawbacks of the former, compared to the latter, are as of yet unclear.

If Spite and Envy could have turned into dragons if they wanted anyway, what purpose in becoming soletaken, as Spite at least apparently is? Shits and giggles? Maybe they killed a dragon and drank its blood because they're psychotic and sadistic and thought it would be fun?

Also, is there any instance of Envy taking the dragon form that we assume she has?

#9 User is offline   Azathanai 

• Recruit

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostKanese S, on 24 September 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Maybe they killed a dragon and drank its blood because they're psychotic and sadistic and thought it would be fun?

This. Whatever fun those two (three?) are up to is only just beginning.

Clearly the Azathanai come into being with astounding raw power, yet I think they are limited in how they use it. Aside from raw strength, perhaps it cannot be channelled externally without a binding of sorts to some aspect of the world. Draconus' veerings seem related to the aspect of Dark, and each of the A's seem to have unique skills, perhaps related to how they chose to bind their powers. Maybe the bindings are of a permanent nature? This could be related to Kallor's curse to "never ascend" - K could be an Azathanai prevented from channelling his powers, yet he is unexplainably powerful.

Anyway, the dragon blood party should be entertaining. Entirely possible the A's require blood to veer.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

I'm gonna bet they drank from Sheltatha Lore, just to close that circle. And the reason an Azathanai or half-Azathani or whatever would want the blood of Tiam: Chaos. A big no-no for any devout Azathanai. No doubt I'll be wrong to one degree or another!

FoD-specific stuff:
Spoiler

Anyway, I don't think Envy has ever veered in the entire series. But she traveled with Rake and Osric, so I think that alone is hint enough; I don't see her agreeing to be carried around in their talons. I suppose at this point I wouldn't be surprised either way though, but I, like everyone else, just presumed it with the Draconus and Spite relationships. Would she ever let her sister have something she didn't?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Drank from Sheltatha Lore? Hmmm. That would close the circle, yes. Also provides for slightly kinky lesbian things. Maybe too racy for me to start one of my retarded threads about, though (this is your cue to wrinkle your noses in disgust, everyone).

And yeah, that's true, if she did accompany Anomander and Osric, either they all walked, or she flew with them (how cool a scene would that be!).

Furthermore, totally agree on your reasoning that if Spite's a soletaken, Envy has to be. She wouldn't allow herself to be one-upped like that. Plus, if it gives any advantages separate from what they already have due to being Azathanai, they would no longer be evenly matched if one was a soletaken and the other was not, and from what's been shown in the series, they very much are equals in power.

#12 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postworry, on 24 September 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

I'm gonna bet they drank from Sheltatha Lore, just to close that circle. And the reason an Azathanai or half-Azathani or whatever would want the blood of Tiam: Chaos. A big no-no for any devout Azathanai. No doubt I'll be wrong to one degree or another!

FoD-specific stuff:
Spoiler

Anyway, I don't think Envy has ever veered in the entire series. But she traveled with Rake and Osric, so I think that alone is hint enough; I don't see her agreeing to be carried around in their talons. I suppose at this point I wouldn't be surprised either way though, but I, like everyone else, just presumed it with the Draconus and Spite relationships. Would she ever let her sister have something she didn't?

Closing the circle. Never thought of that.
Hell, she could have turned into a flying squirrel as easily as a dragon. Meanest bitch of a flying squirrel you ever done saw.

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

i'm not even sure that pure-blood eleint can shape-shift. when have we ever seen a real dragon take any other form but their own? the closest thing is telorast and curdle possessing things while they were ghosts.

FOD
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 25 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

In HoC, glossary Starvald Demelain is defined as a warren of the elient.

Starvald Demelain: The Eleint Warren

In DG it is defined as

Starvald Demelain: the Tiam Warren, the First Warren

In the series, I can remember only two uses of SD as a warren. Silanah in GotM and Spite in BH.
But it appears that Spite is a soletaken as Apt suggested. (that the Azathanai can take a dragon shape is an interesting twist)

Also interesting is that the only soletaken dragons we seem to see are the Tiste and they use KG. Maybe that is significant somehow.

This post has been edited by nacht: 25 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

#16 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

I thought Anomander Rake used both Kurald Galain and Starvald Demelain.

#17 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

If they are the first ascendants (mother dark, urusabder, burn) it makes sense since what with wandering evolving into some kind of order. If there is now an order, then it makes sense that an individual can rise into the next division of that order, sharing power via with the other azathanai via kruls gift.

#18 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostKanese S, on 25 September 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

I thought Anomander Rake used both Kurald Galain and Starvald Demelain.

Hmm, I dont recall this.
But It is very likely that Dragon Soletakens have access to the SD warren and whether they use it or not is upto them.

#19 User is offline   Randomander 

• Soletaken Dragon Reborn

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

"T'iam, Kalse, Silannah, Ampelas, Okaros, Karosis, Sorrit, Atrahal, Eloth, Anthras, Kessobahn, Alkend, Karatallid, Korbas…Olar. Eleint. Draconean. Dragons. The Pure Dragons. The place where the road comes from is closed. By the mixed bloods who gathered long ago. Draconus, K'rul, Anomandaris, Osserc, Silchas Ruin, Scabandari, Sheltatha Lore, Sukul Ankhadu and Menandore". That's a quote from either DoD or TCG, listing Draconus as soletaken and Olar as pure. Not too sure what it means but it's something
Also, I'm pretty sure soletaken have access to SD, that's the magic they "breathe" onto ppl

This post has been edited by Randomander: 25 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

#20 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

It may be a GotMism but the powerful demon that Rake fights towards the end says that he smells the reek of Tiam more than Darkness in Rake.
Also Rake, Ruin and all the other soletaken definitely use the SD warren. That is the sorcery that keeps dragons air-borne even after their wings are broken.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users