#41 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:20 AM

View PostAptorian, on 08 September 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

Been trying to figure out optimal pc builds I could build myself and I've come to the conclusion that it's honestly easier to just buy a PC I pick the pieces for and get it built for me instead. The amount of potential bullshit issues I was reading about was more than I care to deal with, just to save 500 USD.

With an AMD 3900x CPU and a RTX 3080 GPU and various other high end goodies I'll end up somewhere around 3500 USD, assembled, ready to use and with a 3 year warranty. Which is more or less what I was looking to spend.

Where do you go to get this done? Is there a particular supplier?
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#42 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:39 AM

I am currently looking at this: https://www.amazon.c...uage=en_US&th=1 . But I really don't know the lingo, and getting the computer would be my way of making a foray into the gaming sphere. I mostly have enjoyed games like Skyrim, Minecraft, and Terraria in the past (and I miss Half-life), but I am looking to expand my horizons and want to make sure my computer won't hold me back like my current macbook.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#43 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:39 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 11 September 2020 - 03:39 AM, said:

I am currently looking at this: https://www.amazon.c...uage=en_US&th=1 . But I really don't know the lingo, and getting the computer would be my way of making a foray into the gaming sphere. I mostly have enjoyed games like Skyrim, Minecraft, and Terraria in the past (and I miss Half-life), but I am looking to expand my horizons and want to make sure my computer won't hold me back like my current macbook.

it's a mid-range rig, comparable to what I'm currently on (except I have a more powerful CPU- Ryzen 7, which is the next one after the one included here)

It'll be fine for 1080p gaming now, and for cross-gen games; but by the time actual next gen games roll around in 2 years or so, you'd want something beefier, both CPU and GPU.

-And you'd probably need an NVME SSD drive--plus something on top of the 500GB SATA that comes with it, since that's gonna get filled up real fast if you also have your OS running off of it.

-Also 8 GB of RAM is probably not gonna be enough in the future.

so yeah, all in all, this is definitely not a "future-proof" setup.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:44 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 11 September 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 08 September 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

Been trying to figure out optimal pc builds I could build myself and I've come to the conclusion that it's honestly easier to just buy a PC I pick the pieces for and get it built for me instead. The amount of potential bullshit issues I was reading about was more than I care to deal with, just to save 500 USD.

With an AMD 3900x CPU and a RTX 3080 GPU and various other high end goodies I'll end up somewhere around 3500 USD, assembled, ready to use and with a 3 year warranty. Which is more or less what I was looking to spend.

Where do you go to get this done? Is there a particular supplier?

This is in Denmark so it wouldn't help you to look up Danish builders but basically, if you google "build a pc" there should be plenty of small (and very large) businesses that specialize in giving the buyer a list of price ranges and letting you pick which parts you want, based on price and performance. The good ones I've found have a program that adds up the cost and which parts are best combined with other parts.

When you've generated that list/build you can then compare the prices they offer with prices you can find on places like pc partpicker.

The builder I found this week charges about 10-50 USD more per part than it would cost to buy the pieces myself. And then charges something like 70 USD to assemble the machine, get everything installed properly and offer a 3 year warranty.

#45 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

GH, look at PC Part Picker for comparative prices.

#46 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

Thanks both. Where in the US should I look for a builder? It sounds like i should just get a custom job since I will need to run Microsoft OS on the machine for work.
~Abyss

#47 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 11 September 2020 - 02:18 PM, said:

Thanks both. Where in the US should I look for a builder? It sounds like i should just get a custom job since I will need to run Microsoft OS on the machine for work.

I typed "build custom gaming PC" into Google and got a bunch of hits. Depending on your location, you can probably find places that do assembly close by.

-pretty much everything that's storebought comes with Windows 10 pre-installed these days. Also important to note, most PCs and laptops these days no longer include DVD drives- if you're getting a custom-made rig and it doesn't come with pre-installed OS, you'll need to either buy one on a USB flash drive, or (if you go the disk route), make sure your PC has a disk drive.

I upgraded to Win 10 in December, and I had to hunt down a Win 10 DVD first, because I didn't want a license that's just gonna be tied to a single machine. Thankfully, I built my PC back in 2011, when DVD drives were still ubiquitous.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users