• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia 103 - Codex Alera Game Thread

#121 User is offline   Fener 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I had a BSOD just at the end of typing this the first time so my applogies if this time round it is not quite so coherent.

View PostTellan, on 25 June 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

View PostFener, on 25 June 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

..... +5 pre day phase because.. let me see, we have started day phase and we have a mysterious +5 infestation on a tile already. It's that simple.....

I was not doubting there was some ability, passive or active, of the Vord to cause +5 infestation. Duh, that's obvious. I was doubting the leap (?) from +5 infestation to it's-not-the-Queen, it's-this-type-of-Vord. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, just was fishy.

I had assumed that the Queen would be starting in Narash therefore it wouldn't be her. Big assumption? Yes. Am I confident in it? Yes. Because it is fully infested. If not the Queen it must be another..

View PostNimander Golit, on 25 June 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Prime Vord Queen
Secondary Queens (could be many)
Sarl (canim)

Keepers
Mantises
Vordknights
Vordiphants

I had assumed that secondary queens would mean there was two of them. Given my assumption of 2-3 Vord I thought it highly unlikely that all the Vord would have exactly the same abilities.

View PostNimander Golit, on 25 June 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

The Vord and the Rebels are potentially recruiters. Kalarus and Gaius Sextus can trigger the Kalare volcano. Gaius Sextus can trigger the Alera Imperia explosion. The First Aleran will be setup principally to fight the Vord, while the Loyalists and Rebels will mostly be setup to fight each other.

I totally missed

Vord

Lead by the Vord Queen, the Vord work as one to infiltrate Alera, take control of its most powerful Citizens, and infest the entire realm with croach, eventually choking away all life.

so good catch for me being dumb. Recruiter. All previous mentions of Keeper from me please replace with Keeper for +5 and Parasite for recruiting (ref. wiki as before.) (SHOCK! Parasites aren't mentioned in the OP either!)

View PostGait, on 25 June 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't think Fener slipped because that would be too retarded.(even for a Mafia player)

Thanks, good to know I'm that retarded. Yeah, slip by actually bringing some speculation of mine up. Everything is speculation at this point, get over it.

View PostGait, on 25 June 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

And honestly, When I first saw him mention keepers I didn't think it was anything strange up until people started screaming "LOOK HE TALKED ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WASN'T MENTIONED IN THE OP!"
(that may be because I have actually read the series)

People have read the OP? First time for everything I guess.

View PostKedeviss, on 25 June 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Interesting stuff so far. I think Fener is obviously coming from a position of having read the books, though his speculation is more specific than I would have come up with initially. Were I designing the game, I'd have used the two queens (were there three in the books? Can't remember now), and furycrafting Vord to balance with the furycrafting humans. I suppose keepers could be a queen ability to help spread the infestation, I just don't really see them as an alt. though.

The Vord that have taken a host can't Furycraft initially. Someone who is recruited to the Vord may not be able to use their abilities until they are targetted so worth bearing in mind. As above with my speculation on queen numbers there'd have to be alts that are more generalised than all the other factions. The thoughts on one person having 3 alts is good - appealed to me initially but I think I'd have split the recruiter to a different person to the keeper, too much power with one person.

View PostMonok Ochem, on 25 June 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

I don't see this as a symp attempt by Gait. I see it as someone speculating and telling us their thoughts, which is what everyone should be doing.

Yah, look where it is getting me. Odds are people'll make moderate comments and small waves and hope to glide through Day 1 lynch without attracting any attention.

View PostMonok Ochem, on 25 June 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

That being said, I'm not saying I agree with Gait. Fener may have slipped. I wouldn't discount stupidity in mafia ever. It also occurred to me that having additional knowledge of the Vord faction wouldn't be limited to the Vord itself. The First Aleran faction might know something about the Vord that the others don't, seeing as it's their VC to wipe them out before they infest all tiles and win the game.

Speculation again but I'd have expected more that the First have to co-operate with the other factions to gain information rather than having knowledge that would give them a big advantage in acheiving their VCs.

Now all that lot is safely up,

Vote Trake

For jumping in with a vote before I had a chance to respond.

#122 User is offline   Nimander Golit 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the Takers. I was just thinking slave collars and Invidia's lung-spider thing for recruitment, but takers would probably-definitely be the major recruitment method for the Vord.

If Blend wants to follow the books closely I would guess:

-Vord have some sort of Takers mechanic/player that can attempt to recruit regularly and effectively
-Rebels have a weaker recruitment mechanic using the slave collars - probably only High Lord Kalarus and/or Brencis Minoris can use them
-If the Vord recruit the rebel recruiter, they can still keep using the slave collars for even more recruitment - NASTY!

#123 User is offline   Sheltatha Lore 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Fearmongering? That speculation seems a little gross, but probably cant be ruled out.

The movement aspect of the game, I feel, is going to make things tricky. Personally, I tend to suck at this sort of thing.

#124 User is offline   Ultama 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:56 AM

Nimander Golit said:

1372107467[/url]' post='1065555']

Vengeance said:

1372107229[/url]' post='1065553']

Nimander Golit said:

1372106054[/url]' post='1065546']

Vengeance said:

1372103764[/url]' post='1065532']

Nimander Golit said:

1372102983[/url]' post='1065527']

Path-Shaper said:

1372087677[/url]' post='1065424']
MOD NOTE

No movement will happen until the start of day 1. Orders submitted will be fulfilled when day 1 officially starts.

V

Blend said:

1371165500[/url]' post='1063034']
Dusk Phase – Instant. This is the movement phase – you must provide a movement action during the Day Phase in order to move during the Dusk Phase. If your action is not in by the time the Day Phase ends, then you will not be able to move during the Dusk Phase. All movement actions are considered iron man, so cannot be changed once submitted.

Checking in, and I am already confused...

It really isn't that hard. Day 1 hasn't started. So the IRON man rules aren't in effect. Now if you don't change your orders before day 1 starts then your orders are going to be locked in. However between then and now you can.

See not hard if you put your brain in gear and realize THAT THE GAME HASN"T FUCKING STARTED YET!!!

Vengeance the friendly mod.

But how does an action from the Dusk Phase get resolved (or "fulfilled") at the start of day 1? Wouldn't that be the dawn phase?

See normally this is where I tell you to pm the mod or to fuck off, but I am feeling nice. So I shall explain what should be quite obvious. However if you persist in asking questions on thread rather then pming them to the mods You will be silenced (only able to post in pictures) until the start of day 2.

As a mod I am going to basically note but allow for players to make changes until the iron man rules kick in (the start of the game). Iron man rules mean that once we get that pm your shit is locked. Once the game starts any movement pm's that the mods receive are considered locked in stone. Now I know that you think that this is hard to get your mind around but what you need to realize is that we as the mods have this under control. Now if you have any other fucking questions pm them to the mods or get pictures ready.

V

Yay, I feel so happy to be playing mafia again after reading shit like this on day 1... joy oh joy...

I suppose "fulfilled" can be taken many different ways, but there's a hell of a difference between "No movement will happen until the start of day 1" and "No movement orders will be processed until the start of day 1, after which point they'll be locked (due to ironman rules) and the movements will occur at Dusk". I would hope that you can see how that phrasing was confusing (maybe just to me).

NG is correct. Vengeance is scrambling here. There is someone who can move during day phase. I haven't read this series yet so I don't know if its important or not. My joy comes from pointing out that he fucked up and spilled something he shouldn't have. It's the simple things in life that give the greatest joy.

#125 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostSheltatha Lore, on 26 June 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

Fearmongering? That speculation seems a little gross, but probably cant be ruled out.

The movement aspect of the game, I feel, is going to make things tricky. Personally, I tend to suck at this sort of thing.

You and me both. Rot3K finale had a movement mechanic and it led to some veeeery interesting situations, due to poor play of some parties.

Thankfully, at least this time we don't have the same crazy movement restrictions....

#126 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostUltama, on 26 June 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

View PostNimander Golit, on 24 June 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 24 June 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostNimander Golit, on 24 June 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 24 June 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

View PostNimander Golit, on 24 June 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

View PostPath-Shaper, on 24 June 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

MOD NOTE

No movement will happen until the start of day 1. Orders submitted will be fulfilled when day 1 officially starts.

V

View PostBlend, on 13 June 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

Dusk Phase – Instant. This is the movement phase – you must provide a movement action during the Day Phase in order to move during the Dusk Phase. If your action is not in by the time the Day Phase ends, then you will not be able to move during the Dusk Phase. All movement actions are considered iron man, so cannot be changed once submitted.

Checking in, and I am already confused...

It really isn't that hard. Day 1 hasn't started. So the IRON man rules aren't in effect. Now if you don't change your orders before day 1 starts then your orders are going to be locked in. However between then and now you can.

See not hard if you put your brain in gear and realize THAT THE GAME HASN"T FUCKING STARTED YET!!!

Vengeance the friendly mod.

But how does an action from the Dusk Phase get resolved (or "fulfilled") at the start of day 1? Wouldn't that be the dawn phase?

See normally this is where I tell you to pm the mod or to fuck off, but I am feeling nice. So I shall explain what should be quite obvious. However if you persist in asking questions on thread rather then pming them to the mods You will be silenced (only able to post in pictures) until the start of day 2.

As a mod I am going to basically note but allow for players to make changes until the iron man rules kick in (the start of the game). Iron man rules mean that once we get that pm your shit is locked. Once the game starts any movement pm's that the mods receive are considered locked in stone. Now I know that you think that this is hard to get your mind around but what you need to realize is that we as the mods have this under control. Now if you have any other fucking questions pm them to the mods or get pictures ready.

V

Yay, I feel so happy to be playing mafia again after reading shit like this on day 1... joy oh joy...

I suppose "fulfilled" can be taken many different ways, but there's a hell of a difference between "No movement will happen until the start of day 1" and "No movement orders will be processed until the start of day 1, after which point they'll be locked (due to ironman rules) and the movements will occur at Dusk". I would hope that you can see how that phrasing was confusing (maybe just to me).

NG is correct. Vengeance is scrambling here. There is someone who can move during day phase. I haven't read this series yet so I don't know if its important or not. My joy comes from pointing out that he fucked up and spilled something he shouldn't have. It's the simple things in life that give the greatest joy.

Silencehammer incoming in roughly 11 hours........

#127 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

It is Day 1. 25 hours 12 minutes remaining.

Players alive: Alkend, Barghast, Demelain, Emurlahn, Fener, Gait, Galain, Hood's Path, Kedeviss, Korbas, Liosan, Mockra, Monok Ochem, Nimander Golit, Okaros, Pran Chole, Ryllandaras, Sheltatha Lore, Tellan, Trake, Ultama, Venesara

12 votes to lynch, 11 votes to go to night

2 votes for Fener (Trake, Liosan)
1 vote for Trake (Fener)

Players not voted: Alkend, Barghast, Demelain, Emurlahn, Gait, Galain, Hood's Path, Kedeviss, Korbas, Mockra, Monok Ochem, Nimander Golit, Okaros, Pran Chole, Ryllandaras, Sheltatha Lore, Tellan, Ultama, Venesara 
Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#128 User is offline   Barghast 

• Fist

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

Still unable to post correctly, with tomorrow looking no better until about 6 hrs before lynch time.. Just wanted to give a status update.

#129 User is offline   Demelain 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Reading and catching up.

#130 User is offline   Pran Chole 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hey gang. I'm caught up, I do think it was a slip by Fener that I will be keeping my eye on. Its nice to say he read the books and all but he just seemed a little too certain for my tastes. Anyhow, the power in my neighborhood was out all evening from the thunderstorm and I need to sleep now. I'll hopefully be able to contribute tomorrow.

#131 User is offline   Demelain 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostBlend, on 13 June 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Rebels

Lead by Lord Kalarus Brencis, the Rebels seek to overthrow the current First Lord, Gaius Sextus, to place themselves on the throne. Though not as quick as the Loyalists, and working with considerably less information than the Loyalists, the Rebels are made up of many of the realm's strongest Furycrafters, making them a force to be reckoned with.

Vord

Lead by the Vord Queen, the Vord work as one to infiltrate Alera, take control of its most powerful Citizens, and infest the entire realm with croach, eventually choking away all life.

I haven't read the books, but from the OP I wouldn't of expected the rebels to have a recruit mechanic. I think thats going to an ability only the Vord has.

#132 User is offline   Alkend 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Lots and lots of talk about the Vord. I guess that means we're going on a bug hunt (are they bugs? That's what I'm imagining in my head).

#133 User is offline   Korbas 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostAlkend, on 26 June 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Lots and lots of talk about the Vord. I guess that means we're going on a bug hunt (are they bugs? That's what I'm imagining in my head).

Any reason we wouldn't go after the Vord? Their goal is to eliminate us all, everyone has a Vord elimination VC. Makes sense no?

#134 User is offline   Sheltatha Lore 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

I really hope the Vord are the only recruiters, and my money would be on that being the case.

And this quote made me think of this:

#135 User is offline   Sheltatha Lore 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostKorbas, on 26 June 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Any reason we wouldn't go after the Vord? Their goal is to eliminate us all, everyone has a Vord elimination VC. Makes sense no?

Too early in day 1 for this kind of good sense. :p

#136 User is offline   Alkend 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

When you put it like that, yeah. But for most the VC is to eliminate the Vord Queen and fuck (not literally) the rest of the Vord. One individual between twenty-something players might take a while to track down. I'm certainly not expecting the factions to remain the bestest of friends if it does end up a long chase.
It might be tough to not have this game go the way such books always go (and I bet in the Alera series too). Loads of squabbling and fighting between various armies/petty nations etc, whilst a bigger threat grows ever stronger in the background.
Very fun-looking setup this!

#137 User is offline   Korbas 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostAlkend, on 26 June 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

When you put it like that, yeah. But for most the VC is to eliminate the Vord Queen and fuck (not literally) the rest of the Vord. One individual between twenty-something players might take a while to track down. I'm certainly not expecting the factions to remain the bestest of friends if it does end up a long chase.
It might be tough to not have this game go the way such books always go (and I bet in the Alera series too). Loads of squabbling and fighting between various armies/petty nations etc, whilst a bigger threat grows ever stronger in the background.
Very fun-looking setup this!

The most neutral players are the First Aleran. The rebels and loyalist would love to lynch each other as well as the Vord. Fener may turn out to be a good lynch today because there seems to be people defending him, people attacking him and possible Vord links.

Their CF could shed light on other players.

In fact for that reason I will

Vote Fener

#138 User is offline   Ryllandaras 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostHood, on 25 June 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

So, the infestation has started already, which means we started the game with the dawn phase. And I think it's fair to assume that the infestation won't stay that slow paced.

Why does this seem slow-paced to you? Half-infested tile at the very beginning of day 1 is alarmingly quick to me.

#139 User is offline   Ryllandaras 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostHood, on 25 June 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostDemelain, on 25 June 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

You think it will go faster than +5 infestation a day?

Yes, if you look at the counters of the different places, then you'll notice that it would take too long with +5 infestation to be a thread. The game would have ended long before by completing other VCs.

I agree with this, though. Not so much "the other VCs would have been completed" part, as Blend clearly means for this to be an uber-game, but if we look at the Vord as a cult then it only stands to reason that in theory they are supposed to grow stronger the longer we go, as long as they're not pruned down of course.

From the OP, I understand that there's only one Vord Queen. With Narash starting off infested, I would guess that that is the tile on which the Vord Queen started. So people like the First Aleran are best off heading that way if they intend to take on the Queen through abilities.

I'm assuming that votes for lynches aren't affected by location on tiles? Don't see anything about it in the OP, but it would make lynches all but impossible otherwise.

#140 User is offline   Ryllandaras 

• Recruit

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostFener, on 25 June 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Game started at Day 1 so their was no Night phase for Dawn actions to be submitted in.

Some actions may be passive - simply by a player being in a location at the start of day an affect is had.

So for instance the Vord Queen may cause instant complete infestation by performing an action on a spot whereas a Keeper cause +5 per Day phase.

This makes a lot of sense. Which immediately makes me wary.

Share this topic:

• 184 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

45 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google