• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia 103 - Codex Alera Game Thread

#101 User is offline   Mockra 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostFener, on 25 June 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Game started at Day 1 so their was no Night phase for Dawn actions to be submitted in.

Some actions may be passive - simply by a player being in a location at the start of day an affect is had.

So for instance the Vord Queen may cause instant complete infestation by performing an action on a spot whereas a Keeper cause +5 per Day phase.

What's a Kee...oh I see this question has been asked already.

While it's possible that Fener's just coming from a background of having read the books and/or the wiki he cites, this has more the feeling to me of someone who had access to this info in their role PM. I don't think that necessarily makes him a Vord, though. Could be the Vord hunter people also have that kind of info.

#102 User is offline   Venesara 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Checking in. RL has me busy, I'll hopefully have time to read up later.

#103 User is offline   Mockra 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

I wonder if the First Aleran can boost other players' abilities: I get this thought from where it says in the OP that he 'seeks to prepare Alera for the incoming horde.'

As for the Vord: definitely sound like a cult to me from the OP. Which means they likely start out as an individual/small group. It's interesting that they have a choice in their VCs - eliminate all others OR infest all tiles.

#104 User is offline   Mockra 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostLiosan, on 25 June 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

What I get from this:
Either Loayllists or Rebels can be town. The language is ambiguous (I have not read the books)

Why does either one have to be town? They're factions.

#105 User is offline   Demelain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I haven't read the books so I don't know how big a role the keepers have, but personally I think fener was just using keeper as an example from the book rather than pm info

#106 User is offline   Emurlahn 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostTrake, on 25 June 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostHood, on 25 June 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

View PostFener, on 25 June 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Game started at Day 1 so their was no Night phase for Dawn actions to be submitted in.

Some actions may be passive - simply by a player being in a location at the start of day an affect is had.

So for instance the Vord Queen may cause instant complete infestation by performing an action on a spot whereas a Keeper cause +5 per Day phase.

What's a Keeper?

Nice catch.
Vote Fener

I wondered the same thing. I also see we're back to voting Fener as soon as possible!

#107 User is offline   Monok Ochem 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostMockra, on 25 June 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

I wonder if the First Aleran can boost other players' abilities: I get this thought from where it says in the OP that he 'seeks to prepare Alera for the incoming horde.'

As for the Vord: definitely sound like a cult to me from the OP. Which means they likely start out as an individual/small group. It's interesting that they have a choice in their VCs - eliminate all others OR infest all tiles.

Well, if they eliminate all others then no one would be left to stop them from infesting all the tiles? I'm guessing that's why it's worded this way.

#108 User is offline   Emurlahn 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostTellan, on 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Okaaayy.. so some of those questions are rhetorical, but I do want to hear Fener out, and I didn't mean to shut the thread up, haha.

Also, anyone else wondering about faction numbers? Based on the faction descriptions, I'm skeptical it's an even split between 20 players.

I'd say there's no way it's an even split from looking at the setup (Rebels omitted because there's nothing that stands out).

Lead by Gaius Sextus, the Loyalists struggle to keep the rebels from attaining the throne of Alera Imperia. As the Rebels have more brute force, the Loyalists must rely on their quick movement abilities, better communications, and their furies to win.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">
Lead by Lord Kalarus Brencis, the Rebels seek to overthrow the current First Lord, Gaius Sextus, to place themselves on the throne. Though not as quick as the Loyalists, and working with considerably less information than the Loyalists, the Rebels are made up of many of the realm's strongest Furycrafters, making them a force to be reckoned with.
<br style="background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Lead by Gaius Octavian, or Tavi as he is known by his closest friends and family, the First Aleran cannot be bothered with the petty squabbling over the realm's throne. He knows that the Vord present the true threat to Alera Imperia, so, with his small team of elite soldiers, he will seek to prepare Alera for the incoming horde.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">
Lead by the Vord Queen, the Vord work as one to infiltrate Alera, take control of its most powerful Citizens, and infest the entire realm with croach, eventually choking away all life.

I don't know if you can gather much about the size of the Loyalist and Rebel teams from that quote (strength/brute force could just be role powers). However, First Aleran clearly says "small team" so you can expect they are a small faction. Vord mentions "take control" which speaks to one mechanic: cult/recruiting. Typically, cults are smaller factions initially.

Its probably a near 50/50 split for Loyalists and Rebels, a few First Aleran, and a few Vord.

#109 User is offline   Mockra 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostMonok Ochem, on 25 June 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Well, if they eliminate all others then no one would be left to stop them from infesting all the tiles? I'm guessing that's why it's worded this way.

Well, you only look at it from one side there. They can also infest all tiles to win, which sounds like they don't have to actually 'eliminate' anyone. Unless infestation also involves killing others, of course. It might involve recruitment somehow I suppose.

#110 User is offline   Emurlahn 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostDemelain, on 25 June 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Good catch about the Vord acting as one, explains why there's 22 Alts in 20 person game

Seems like there are proxy alts, probably played by the same person (maybe one player has 3 alts, or two players have 2 alts). We also know this from the setup:

A partial CF will be in effect this game. When a player dies, you will be told their character and faction names, but not the player's name. For this reason, even after you are dead, I would appreciate if you could sign in anonymously when checking out the thread.

The first thing that makes me think is "Faceless Man," but it could also hint at the a character being able to hide in multiple alts if they die.

#111 User is offline   Monok Ochem 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostMockra, on 25 June 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Well, you only look at it from one side there. They can also infest all tiles to win, which sounds like they don't have to actually 'eliminate' anyone. Unless infestation also involves killing others, of course. It might involve recruitment somehow I suppose.

Not really. I'm just pointing out that they win by infesting all tiles. I think the 'or eliminating all others' is included because there could potentially (I suppose ) be a situation where everyone but the Vord are dead. If their VC had only said 'infest all tiles' we would potentially have to arbitrarily wait for an additional X amount of days for the remaining Vord to finish infesting the rest of the tiles. And if no one is left to stop them, this would just be a waste of time, as the outcome would be already known. At least that's how I see it.

#112 User is offline   Monok Ochem 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostEmurlahn, on 25 June 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Good catch about the Vord acting as one, explains why there's 22 Alts in 20 person game

Seems like there are proxy alts, probably played by the same person (maybe one player has 3 alts, or two players have 2 alts). We also know this from the setup:

A partial CF will be in effect this game. When a player dies, you will be told their character and faction names, but not the player's name. For this reason, even after you are dead, I would appreciate if you could sign in anonymously when checking out the thread.

The first thing that makes me think is "Faceless Man," but it could also hint at the a character being able to hide in multiple alts if they die.

I agree. Perhaps their is no full CF because if there is indeed one player controlling more than one alt, then if only one of their alts dies, then it wouldn't necessarily be true that 'Player X' is dead. This must be in place to protect this person(s). Of course this is all speculation at best, but I think this has to be the case.

#113 User is offline   Mockra 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, good catch. Considering the number of supposed players, it's likely to do with the multiple alts idea.

#114 User is offline   Galain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

you guys are all straight to the seriosity, I can dig it

let me read a smidgen and perforce comment thereupon

#115 User is offline   Galain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostMonok Ochem, on 25 June 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

I agree. Perhaps their is no full CF because if there is indeed one player controlling more than one alt, then if only one of their alts dies, then it wouldn't necessarily be true that 'Player X' is dead. This must be in place to protect this person(s). Of course this is all speculation at best, but I think this has to be the case.

clever, are you revealing as the FM now, because that would save us all some trouble

#116 User is offline   Galain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostMockra, on 25 June 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

and the recruiter is unmasked!

#117 User is offline   Galain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostNimander Golit, on 25 June 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Vord have the biggest paucity of named characters, and the primary queen acts very independently sometimes, so it made sense to me that they'd have more "generic" roles that are just armies/supporters. Since everyone has an "attack" action, I see this as, say, if you are playing Kalarus you are him but also have an army following you, too, so your "attack" is both you throwing flaming mongooses at people and your army charging their army. The vord are supposed to be all swarmy, so one player having 3 whole alts of vord armies/keepers, but no named character, seemed like the kind of solution blend might throw in.

did you just use the word "paucity" like it's actually English? I wish I could throw flaming mongeese

also this makes some sense

#118 User is offline   Sheltatha Lore 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

All right, I see we're off on the right track with an immediate roasting of the pig. Especially given the symping by Gait and more subtle one by Kedeviss.

Thanks in advance for any and all info dumps about the books, since I haven't read'em. Oh, and if non-team members would obligein slip-ups and other assorted screw-ups hence ensuring victory for moi and moi team, that would be nice too.

#119 User is offline   Galain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostSheltatha Lore, on 25 June 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

All right, I see we're off on the right track with an immediate roasting of the pig. Especially given the symping by Gait and more subtle one by Kedeviss.

Thanks in advance for any and all info dumps about the books, since I haven't read'em. Oh, and if non-team members would obligein slip-ups and other assorted screw-ups hence ensuring victory for moi and moi team, that would be nice too.

you must tell us your affiliation so we will all know if we should slip up or not

#120 User is offline   Trake 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostSheltatha Lore, on 25 June 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Monok Ochem also cautions... caution, and somehow manages to get under my skin a little. It's true, Fener probably has read the books, but I think I'd like to apply a little more pressure right now and see if people start getting desperate.

Share this topic:

• 184 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

44 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 44 guests, 0 anonymous users