• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

#201 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Rumour about

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#202 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

I'd say that was comfortably the best ep of the season so far, though it still has some of the series' trademark truly enormous logic holes. Finally, intriguing things happened as regards the long-term arc that have implications for the wider universe!
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#203 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

It's back? Not seen it advertised on British TV...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#204 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

It's been postponed in the UK apparently. Will be back on telly in February I think.

#205 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

That might just be the TV station in the UK waiting until a few eps have aired again in the US before restarting the series. That might simply be a way of avoiding the non-US broadcasters overtaking the US. There isn't a list of the broadcast dates for the next few eps in the US, so I can't see if there is any delay on that end. What night does SHIELD air in the US?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#206 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

In the first half of the season the episodes aired on the Friday right after the US showing...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#207 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

A decent, if not stellar, ep this week. Getting to see Fitz and Simmons treated as Superstars at the Academy was cool....as was Skye seeing Bucky Barnes name on the Lost Wall at the Academy....(that's TOTALLY in there to tie into CAP 2!)...

but best bit:

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#208 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 08 January 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

I thought the episode was predictable and formulaic..... except for the Coulson/Tahiti/Magical place reveal.

Personally, I don't get the fan boy admiration for this show. It's somewhat fun, but far from being at the top of the list of best shows. The attempt at humor is silly. And the acting is horrible (except for the guy who plays Coulson). I still watch it because I'm hoping it will get better..... I'm barely hanging on.

The chick in the flower dress is hot, too bad she's been taken out of the picture. I wonder who the Clairvoyant is?

Spoiler

I stopped watching after 3 or 4 episodes. My DVR was filling up and I had like 3 unwatched episodes, so I gave in and deleted them. Had to face facts and cut it lose, if I wasn't watching them that same week they came out and they were piling up, it wasn't the show for me.

But regarding this post and the post before it:
Spoiler

Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#209 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

The Skye reveal was far more interesting than I was expecting. It's also the only reason why I'm not going to drop the show right away, because the rest of the episode was utter farce.

#210 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

http://uk.ign.com/ar...gents-of-shield

Lady Sif to make an appearance in 3 episodes time!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#211 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

We needed a big name to anchor some eps, and Sif is a PERFECT choice. THOR alum, and an actual Asgardian? Perfect.

also, Bill fucking Paxton is guesting for like 4 eps.

#212 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 10 January 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

Between being panned in the reviews and losing half its viewers, Channel 4 decided against rushing it back onto the air again. The argument they used for the first half of the season - they wanted to minimise piracy - seems to have evaporated. So it'll be back in February, and they haven't revealed what timeslot it will be in. The assumption is the same slot after the Jamie Oliver show they replaced it with finishes, but that's not a given.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#213 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostWerthead, on 18 January 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostTiste Brent Not Abyss Weeks Simeon, on 10 January 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

Between being panned in the reviews and losing half its viewers, Channel 4 decided against rushing it back onto the air again.

If Channel 4 bought the rights, they did so under contract for running it in a way dictated by those who own it. They don't get to DECIDE to run it whenever at all. It's not in syndication, so they don't have the right to do that. They have to follow a schedule. It's just a different schedule to the North American one. So they don't decide on anything. When running s first run show they are given PERMISSION and LICENSE...and that's it. Channel 4 doesn't decide squat.

And panned in the reviews is harsh. It's gotten MIXED reviews (sure)...it's CERTAINLY not been panned tho.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

#214 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

is it just me, or was the doctor from ep 11 sheppard from firefly?

#215 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

If Channel 4 bought the rights, they did so under contract for running it in a way dictated by those who own it. They don't get to DECIDE to run it whenever at all. It's not in syndication, so they don't have the right to do that. They have to follow a schedule. It's just a different schedule to the North American one. So they don't decide on anything. When running s first run show they are given PERMISSION and LICENSE...and that's it. Channel 4 doesn't decide squat.

Channel 4 bought the UK transmission rights and get to decide when to show it in the UK, the same with any other channel buying a US import. There will likely be some kind of restriction on that, but these days it's usually, "Don't show it before we do in the USA," and then they can do what they like with it. It's certainly not in ABC's interests to force foreign broadcasters to wait weeks before showing the series because they know that will result in piracy which hurts them in the long run as well as the local broadcaster (if the ratings stay strong, C4 will give ABC money for future seasons).

Certainly in this case, it was Channel 4's decision to wait to show the rest of the season.

And panned in the reviews is harsh. It's gotten MIXED reviews (sure)...it's CERTAINLY not been panned tho.

It's been pretty much torn to pieces, possibly overly-harshly; after the first few episodes were poor, I found it to improve markedly in the last few episodes up to the mid-season finale and by most accounts the last episode or two since it came back were reasonable (well, apart from not answering the question they promised to answer).

This post has been edited by Werthead: 24 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#216 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostWerthead, on 24 January 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Channel 4 bought the UK transmission rights and get to decide when to show it in the UK, the same with any other channel buying a US import. There will likely be some kind of restriction on that, but these days it's usually, "Don't show it before we do in the USA," and then they can do what they like with it. It's certainly not in ABC's interests to force foreign broadcasters to wait weeks before showing the series because they know that will result in piracy which hurts them in the long run as well as the local broadcaster (if the ratings stay strong, C4 will give ABC money for future seasons).

Certainly in this case, it was Channel 4's decision to wait to show the rest of the season.

No, pretty sure that's not how it works. That's only true of syndicated stuff. First Run shows are dictated by their distributing parent company, otherwise the license is uselessly one-sided.

Syndication differs from licensing the show to a television network; once a network picks up a show, it is usually guaranteed to run on most or all the network's affiliates on the same day of the week and at the same time (in a given time zone, in countries where this is a concern). Some production companies create their shows and license them to networks at a loss, at least at first, hoping that the series will succeed and that eventual off-network syndication will turn a profit for the show.

Bolded bit for illustrating my point. Channel 4 has to follow an airing schedule laid out by the distributor. In this case, ABC.

It's been pretty much torn to pieces, possibly overly-harshly;

Where? Links? Examples? I've yet to read a review that panned it. I've read mixed reviews...but none panned it. Torn to pieces? Wha? :smoke:

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

#217 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

@ QUICKTIDAL - There are several shows which have aired in Canada ahead of the US, and they hadn't gone to syndication. Can't remember which ones they are off the top of my head, but I remember seeing episodes of new US shows showing up as torrents before they had aired in the states. Maybe only a day early, but sometimes a week too because of a a sports event delaying the Us broadcast. So there is certainly precedent.

So I believe Wert has it on this one.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#218 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 24 January 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

@ QUICKTIDAL - There are several shows which have aired in Canada ahead of the US, and they hadn't gone to syndication. Can't remember which ones they are off the top of my head, but I remember seeing episodes of new US shows showing up as torrents before they had aired in the states. Maybe only a day early, but sometimes a week too because of a a sports event delaying the Us broadcast. So there is certainly precedent.

So I believe Wert has it on this one.

I don't think so. Unless a deal is reached with the CRTC ahead of time based on a production (things that FILM in Canada are given the upper airing hand over the US. REIGN, for example shoots in Toronto (and overseas)..and as a result it is allowed to air on M3 in Canada on Wednesday's whereas it airs a day later on Thursday's in the US...even though it's a CW production. This happens frequently, and the other fact is that there are simulcast deals in place between the US networks and Canada because they are so closely linked. So you may see a day or two advance difference in Canada over the US with a US show...but it's ALWAYS mere days in the same week...not weeks. It's SO closely linked between our countries that when the US delays for sports or Thanksgiving...so do we...even though we don't need to. Trust me on this.

Sorry, Wert is way off base here. You are welcome to buy it, but from what I know of those I know in the industry distributor network is god. I can only go on what I know of those friends I have who work in the film/TV industry.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

#219 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

The distributor may be god, but that doesn't mean they're not sometimes happy to just give the local network free reign past a certain point on the basis that they know their audience and schedule foibles far better.

I mean, I don't have knowledge of these things, but the way Channel 4 (and British TV in general) run both foreign programming and their own shows, it seems unlikely that they (or any other channel) would be willing or able to run many US TV shows if they were all going to be dictated to that degree.

Apart from anything else, I'm not sure how the bolded bit there is meant to apply to Channel 4, who aren't in any way an affiliate of AMC as far as I know.

I think there might be a bit of cross-cultural wire-crossing here tbh- Canadian and US TV are far more closely linked and similarly run than UK telly, which is a whole different kettle of fish. NA industry practices just aren't going to be applicable.

#220 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 January 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

Apart from anything else, I'm not sure how the bolded bit there is meant to apply to Channel 4, who aren't in any way an affiliate of AMC as far as I know.

It applies because it means that there are rules in place for "licensing" as opposed to syndication which gives more free reign.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

52 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 52 guests, 0 anonymous users