Malazan Empire: Eclipse III - signup thread - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Eclipse III - signup thread modded by ME!

#121 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

As for me, I choose to pick first race.

I would like to play as

RHO INDI SYNDICATE

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#122 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostD, on 27 April 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostSolidsnape, on 27 April 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Should I decide to play, what would I need then?
Other than my copy of 'the art of war' and all my geek reserves of course.

Join us, it'll be fun! We had several people in the last game who had never played before, and they seemed to do just fine.

Question/conundrum - the rule book says that Planta and Draco should not be allowed in games of 7 or more players. I'm not really sure why, whether it's too advantageous or too disadvantageous for them... I'm sure it's to do with their better exploration abilities. I guess since they can explore better they could get to Tier I faster and block people out? Or maybe because there aren't as many total hexes per person they have a disadvantage? I'm not really sure, but are we banning them from being picked? I'd be okay with allowing it and seeing how it goes. Worst comes to worst, we'll all know to gang up on whoever picks Planta :(

View PostImperial Historian, on 27 April 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

The descendants and planta are definitely a little overpowered in the 7-9 player game (we tried it once and both zoomed to strong early leads), the race to the centre and claiming hexes in the centre is much more important. More ancients boosts the draco significantly, and two explores for the planta early on is much more significant.

The planta are slightly balanced by the fact that their combat ability is quite poor, and with new techs and many fronts it is harder for them to block themselves in, the draco were majorly boosted however. In the game we played with them in they managed to grab three early hexes in tier 1 and block the centre whilst everyone else was still struggling with ancients in tier 2. Two alliances among the other races eventually cut down the planta, but couldn't handle the descendants. I'd go with the play testers on this, terrans are a pretty good race regardless.

Planta and Draco are meant to be over powered.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#123 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

I have to wait before picking my race? Fine.... :( 5 more people to go, and Tapper isn't here until Thursday.

The Suspense!

#124 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

So with the syndicate I am not really expecting to win per se, but it looks interesting to play with 4x movement and built-in shields. Last game I found myself to be very envious of Twelve's 3x movement ability.

They look to be very strong right at the outset and as long as you can keep attacking stuff then the pillaging mechanic and the 3-2 trade ratio (as long as you're converting from money) should ensure that the lack of science production isn't a massive issue. Here's hoping I have a wormhole tile to keep my options open.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#125 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Now, do we randomize again for positions on the board or just take it from the top?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#126 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 30 April 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

I fear no man

That's because I'm not going to play terrans this time around and you subconciously know it. mwhahahaha!!!!
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#127 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 April 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

As for me, I choose to pick first race.

I would like to play as

RHO INDI SYNDICATE

Well it looks like I'm not going to get to play as the syndicate this go around either.

So, since I've been facinated with this race for a while and am curious as to the best way to play them so I pick

Eridani

#128 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Normally you use the same order for board positions, so everybody knows what race the player who goes after them is.

Also rho indhi look like they are a lot of fun. I'm hoping I can give them a try next time I play.

Good luck with the Eridani twelve, they are the one race I've played as which I just couldn't figure out how best to play.

#129 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 April 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

New race selections are

Eridani / Terran Directorate

Hydrani / Terran Federation
Douchebags of Magellan / Terran Union
Pony Boys of Magellan / Terran Republic
Mechanema / Terran Conglomerate (white)
Orion Hegemony / Terran Alliance
The Exiles / Wardens of Magellan
Rho Indi Syndicate / Keepers of Magellan (grey)
Enlightened of Lyra / Sentinels of Magellan

:(

#130 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

I did not know the syndicate was such a popular choice...I picked them thinking they were something interesting nobody else would really want to bother with. I will try not to fail too miserably so you can see them in full glory.

Edriani is curious. You have 2 fewer action discs but a pile of starting money, a couple of VP draws and a few basic ship components as starting techs. I guess the idea is you burn through the starting money until you can manage to pick up quantum grid. Nice thing is you have so much starting money it should be at least until mid-game before you run out completely. Heavy focus on capture and population of money systems early on using the starting ship techs, and a modest-sized empire (until quantum grid hits the board) would probably be the safest bet, along with research sufficient to pick up the influence disc techs as they hit the supply board.

That's my best guess anyway.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#131 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Posttwelve, on 30 April 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

New race selections are

:(

Note the two underlined races *can* change their names if they really want to.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#132 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 April 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I did not know the syndicate was such a popular choice...I picked them thinking they were something interesting nobody else would really want to bother with. I will try not to fail too miserably so you can see them in full glory.

Edriani is curious. You have 2 fewer action discs but a pile of starting money, a couple of VP draws and a few basic ship components as starting techs. I guess the idea is you burn through the starting money until you can manage to pick up quantum grid. Nice thing is you have so much starting money it should be at least until mid-game before you run out completely. Heavy focus on capture and population of money systems early on using the starting ship techs, and a modest-sized empire (until quantum grid hits the board) would probably be the safest bet, along with research sufficient to pick up the influence disc techs as they hit the supply board.

Well I wasn't seriously thinking of picking the syndicate this time around as the Terrans were close enough to what I was trying to do last game. As for the Eridani I know they will be a bit tricky and my success will probably be a bit determined on the hexes I draw but I'm hopeful to be able to be pull it off.

#133 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I tried that trying to draw out my money, but the inability to bankrupt yourself quickly becomes a problem if you grab trivial tiles early on, and the money isn't enough to last the whole game. On reflection it's possibly a better idea to blow that money early on grabbing either a good tech (like quantum grid), or potentially building a dread turn 1 and taking a good ancient tile. But that also has many potential pitfalls. Empire management is definitely key, you want to have as efficient an empire as possible.

#134 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

So now do we wait for Tapper to make an appearance? The game won't officially start until after the weekend anyway.

#135 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 30 April 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

I tried that trying to draw out my money, but the inability to bankrupt yourself quickly becomes a problem if you grab trivial tiles early on, and the money isn't enough to last the whole game. On reflection it's possibly a better idea to blow that money early on grabbing either a good tech (like quantum grid), or potentially building a dread turn 1 and taking a good ancient tile. But that also has many potential pitfalls. Empire management is definitely key, you want to have as efficient an empire as possible.

Yeah that is a big concern of mine, the barren Discovery tile hexes. I'd either have to blow an influence action on them or pass them up until I am able to bankrupt myself to rid myself of them later. Option B just leaves it open for someone else to swoop in and grab them and that isn't an ideal option either.

#136 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I suppose you could blow it all first round on a pile of explore actions and create yourself a nice walled-off space from which to recover your economy and make a drive outward later in the game. You'd end up using quite a few influence actions as well I suppose.

My biggest concern as Rho Indi is keeping myself in materials. I don't have dreads and my chips cost 1 more than normal. The exchange from money is good though, and the bonus money from combat should ease things as long as I keep fighting. So Twelve and Khell, watch the fuck out. If we're adjacent on the board and I don't get any wormhole developments, you guys are up.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#137 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 April 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

I suppose you could blow it all first round on a pile of explore actions and create yourself a nice walled-off space from which to recover your economy and make a drive outward later in the game. You'd end up using quite a few influence actions as well I suppose.

My biggest concern as Rho Indi is keeping myself in materials. I don't have dreads and my chips cost 1 more than normal. The exchange from money is good though, and the bonus money from combat should ease things as long as I keep fighting. So Twelve and Khell, watch the fuck out. If we're adjacent on the board and I don't get any wormhole developments, you guys are up.

The explore and wall myself off by blowing my whole wad in the first round is definately weighing heavy on my mind at the moment.

#138 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

The eridani I think are benefited by the expansion in terms of that there is a lot more for them to blow their wad on. Grabbing the research lab/mining fleet is very feasible on the first two turns, which sets them up very well to pursue any strategy. Eridani would seem to benefit from having few tiles, but good tiles, which suggests exploring inwards and taking territory off others, rather than exploring outwards is the way forward.

If you find a barren tile you can always discard it to prevent someone else getting it.

Rho indi definitely need to grab some good military tech early on. Losing a ship is much more painful for them than any of the other races. Curious to see how you play them.

#139 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 30 April 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

The eridani I think are benefited by the expansion in terms of that there is a lot more for them to blow their wad on. Grabbing the research lab/mining fleet is very feasible on the first two turns, which sets them up very well to pursue any strategy. Eridani would seem to benefit from having few tiles, but good tiles, which suggests exploring inwards and taking territory off others, rather than exploring outwards is the way forward.

If you find a barren tile you can always discard it to prevent someone else getting it.

Rho indi definitely need to grab some good military tech early on. Losing a ship is much more painful for them than any of the other races. Curious to see how you play them.

I think the Eridani could also use up their money for a big military push at the start while they have better ships and technologies, and then if they win and grab some good hexes that way they just need to keep their holdings until the end of the game. With their two starting reputation tiles they don't need to fight a lot to max out those points, either.

I haven't played with the Rho Indi before. Should be very interesting to see how the trust issues go with them given their ability to ignore the betrayer card.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#140 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 April 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Per everyone's request, here is play order for Game III

For reference, look at Eclipse Game II thread. All of the relevant info on races' various advantages/disadvantages are contained in Post 9 on the first page.

======================
Player numbers (from page 1):

1- Morgoth
2- Khell
3- cerveza_fiesta
4- Tattersail (ganoes paran)
5- Twelve
6- D'rek
7- Tapper
8- Solidsnape
9- Gnaw

Randomized list using the "sample without replacement" function in Scilab (and I swear to absolute fuck the first two are purely coincidental):

1- cerveza_fiesta
2- Twelve
3- Tapper
4- Solidsnape
5- D'rek
6- Morgoth
7- Ganoes Paran
8- Gnaw
9- Khell

=====================================

Race selections

As I recall from last game, we select in order from top to bottom of the randomized list. Selections are made from the available race pairings. once a race from a pair is selected, the remaining race is removed from the selection pool. This is a good way to ensure a particular race is not played if you happen to not want that race in the game.

Planta / Terran Union
Descendants of Draco / Terran Republic

==============================================

Before we make selections, I'm wondering what we're going to do about Descendants. Do we replace them with something else in their pairing or just remove them so that Terran Union is the only selectable race in that pair?

New race selections are

So I choose last? Bummer.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users