Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! ALL BOOK SPOILERS ALLOWED Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#101 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

By the way, the chick who plays Margaery is amazing. I like her much more as a character now, which is not to say I wasn't fond of her before.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#102 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostTerez, on 10 April 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

By the way, the chick who plays Margaery is amazing. I like her much more as a character now, which is not to say I wasn't fond of her before.

Natalie Dormer. I'm amazed by her.

I saw two episodes of the Tudors and thought she was pretty alright in the scenes I saw of her with the King and with a random dude.

Here, she's much better and has been on the enjoyability level of the Lannister family, the Wall/North crew and Stannis/Melisandre for me. Phenomenal actress doing some phenomenal work with great writing and scenes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her and Lena Headey get much more work in the time in between seasons.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#103 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

To be honest, I think that maybe they want Cat to be more sympathetic than she was in the books, though I never had a problem being at least somewhat sympathetic for her even knowing she had always treated Jon like shit. I can't figure any other reason for it and it is known that the American public must be appeased or mass complaints/desertions will occur - fucked if I know on what basis these decisions are made.

And I do not buy Catelyn as a representative of the religion of the Seven by way of excuse, at all. If they wanted to represent that religion with any faithfulness, and I suspect they do not and will not, they could have done it in a much more efficient and accurate way.

Talisa still makes no sense to me, maybe all will be made clear in time.

Same with Shae - why expand her role? I don't know what the spoiler policy on this thread is but a certain scene will have a completely different kind of impact due to the very different way they have characterized her - I don't get it and I don't like it. I can only imagine it's due to American sensibilities which I do not understand.

QoT was great, well very competent anyway, couldn't ask for more. And yeah, Natalie Dormer is excellent.

#104 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I suspect that the actress who plays Shae is enough of a talent that the writers want to have her and the rest at the court to really have screen time together. She'll reward that time investment as the season goes on.

I've seen her prior work in Head-On, which was a magnificent movie and her first real performance. She was terrific in that and has been very good thus far.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#105 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm not so sure that Cat was really made more sympathetic with that scene. It did appear to be going there in the beginning, so I was kind of pissed that they went there until it got to the part where she reneged on her promise to the gods and you realize that she was just being incredibly selfish all along, including when she begged for him to recover from the pox (not because she cared about him, but because she didn't want his death on her conscience). She's still the same old Cat. The scene only served as a reminder to the casual viewer about Jon's past, and his connection to all these characters he hasn't seen in a while.

If anything in GoT is crafted to appeal to an American audience, it's the sex and head-chopping. But that's hardly limited to Americans; it appeals to audiences in general, particularly younger audiences. It's true enough to the books, if a little switched up and even overdone sometimes, but it's not standard TV fare (or really standard movie fare either).

There it is.

#106 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's not an excuse, since there doesn't need to be an excuse. The character "change" of regretting praying for Jon Snow to die barely counts as a change, since we have huge swaths of pre-GoT family history unaccounted for, but the spiritual crisis -- in light of all that's befallen her family since -- is very much a good reason to emphasize the lived-in quality of the world. I don't disagree with you that giving her a little more overt sympathy is prelude for what's to come, but it would be a disservice to the genuine faith of characters in their deities to reduce it all to plot service or guilt metaphor.

This post has been edited by worrywort: 10 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#107 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Posted Image

http://www.happyplac...son-3-episode-2

There it is.

#108 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I second (or third or fourth) that I really don't think the Cat/Talisa scene was at all out of character for Cat.

I personally know at least two non-book readers who have consistently complained to me about how disconnected the Wall and Dany storylines seem to be from the rest of the show. And although there's definitely some of that disconnect in the books, Martin does a pretty fantastic job of throwing random bits of Targ-related musings into King's Landing chapters, or Arya or Sansa or Catelyn thinking about Jon in their respective chapters. Think about how many Arya chapters or Catelyn chapters show those characters thinking or occasionally talking about Jon at least once? Tons. If not most. I thought this scene was an example of the writers trying to create a similar effect in the medium they have.

Also, aren't we likely to see—at some point in the next 4-5 episodes—the argument between Cat and Robb about Jon's legitimization as a Stark and Robb's heir? I think the writers may have needed the scene to lay the groundwork for that exchange. I wouldn't expect non-book readers in the audience to immediately remember the two scenes in the first 1-3 episodes of season 1 where Catelyn's disdain for Jon is made evident. And I don't think that's playing to a dumb audience either. I think it's smart TV writing.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#109 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

I don't remember if in the books it confirmed for sure that Robb names Jon as heir, or did it say yes in ADWD?

It definitely wasn't confirmed in ADWD, or even alluded to anywhere ever again outside of that one instance in ASoS. IIRC, Robb signed off on it, but it was on the march to the Twins for the Red Wedding, and it's not at all clear whether the decree ever actually went anywhere or just kinda went poof because Robb and all his captains got, yanno, butchered before it got dropped in the post.

What I do remember for certain is that Robb had the argument with Catelyn, she protested, and he bulled right over her.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 11 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#110 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

What Cicero said, it was on the march to the crossing, and he was going to send Cat to one of his bannermens holds, white harbour I think, but it's been many years since I've read the book.

I honestly can't wait for Sunday, wanna see Dany own the slavemasters!

#111 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

I've read up thread a bit and I don't think the story has been "dumbed down", but altered to move more swiftly for tv. So much of the information about the westerlings, cats feelings for jon, and the mummers would have been too much to squeeze into 10 hours, or is revealed through inner monologues or deep discussion. If they included everything, we'd have half the show consisting of conversations and info-dumps, and who would watch that besides readers? They had to find ways to fill in backstory/motives/history while still being compelling television, they are in the business to make money and not worry if manwitheyes loves vargo hoat, or why none of the lannister bannermen cross tywin. They did have thoros singing the rains of castamere as a little Easter egg for readers 8D and when sander asked "the fuck you doing with the stark bitch" and everyone looked straight at her it was so so awesome!

#112 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 06 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

View PostKarsa, on 05 April 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 03 April 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Not that I would pretend that Judo makes you capable of real life fighting, I would like to point out that my Judo trainer was in his late fifties and beat the shit out of all of us, including the other black belts, on a regular basis. And judo is somewhat exhausting as well.

Then you're not doing it, right. Repetition of the various strikes by hand and feet, along with the balance and core body strength granted by even the most basic martial arts, not too mention increased strength, power, and stamina that comes with it, actually does make someone with half a brain for technique into a very deadly fighter. I've taken Tae Kwon Do nearly my entire life, and its almost nothing more than a cardio workout, and even that is more than enough.

Yeah, I'm about to brag. I won both North and South Carolina State Championships. I've got pics of my trophies and medals in our pic thread, and I'm a small guy.

There are no strikes by hand nor feet in judo. But I'm flattered you're trying to stand up for my fighting skills.

Anytime, toots. And I'm not trying to call you a liar, but all Judo that I've been around train with plenty of strike techniques. The best way to train the body for going in for those grapples is to make the hands stronger and quicker with strike training. Mayhaps you're being short-changed on your lessons. I suggest you break your teachers arm for doing so.

And I'm not trying to come across as some martial arts expert. I mean I am and all, but I'm definitely not trying to show it. In fact, in our competitions we wear head gear, arms, and leg pads. It's not as bad ass as it seems.

PS - You're an ass, Mal. I'm right now picturing you as that photo you're using for Facebook, and in it I'm right behind you, about to put you into a half-nelson, then into a suplex that ends with you on the ground looking up at me in fear, and me standing over you in triumph. Dick.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#113 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 07 April 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 03 April 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Not that I would pretend that Judo makes you capable of real life fighting, I would like to point out that my Judo trainer was in his late fifties and beat the shit out of all of us, including the other black belts, on a regular basis. And judo is somewhat exhausting as well.

-snip-

Way OT, but are you literally the only other person on these boards from the American Deep South? I'm from SC.

I'm in Charleston right now. I may be moving here next summer. Also spend a lot of time in Rock Hill. I've been coming to Charleston four of five times a year since I graduated high school. Many of my friends relocated here for work, plus it's such an amazing place. I met Robert Jordan over near Sullivans Island once, too. It was pretty cool.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#114 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostTerez, on 07 April 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

I won both North and South Carolina State Championships. I've got pics of my trophies and medals in our pic thread, and I'm a small guy.

Way OT, but are you literally the only other person on these boards from the American Deep South? I'm from SC.

Mississippi here. Y'all might as well be Yankees.

Not cool, man. You can't call us fuckin' Yankees. My grandfather would kill you for saying something like that. He lives in a place called Kings Mountain. It has a place through a pass set atop a giant, defendable rise still marked today. There's more dead Yankees buried in that one spot than anywhere else in the South.

Damn Yanks. I wonder if the Brits realize how offensive it is to call a southerner, a Yank. They just lump us all into the same category.

- Maynard James Keenan

#115 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 07 April 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

I won both North and South Carolina State Championships. I've got pics of my trophies and medals in our pic thread, and I'm a small guy.

Mississippi here. Y'all might as well be Yankees.

Louisiana here, I think me and Terez would be tied for Rebelness!

@abyss
I too had the opposite feeling. I thought this Ep was much faster and better all around then Ep 1. I just couldn't seem to get into Ep 1 at all last week.

Terez is too well read to tie for Rebelness. But I'm glad to know there's some of you out there. I was beginning to think I was all alone here.

Also, sorry for the off topic posts. Back to the topic at hand.

Like I mentioned, I don't have my movie channels. I watched the first 2 seasons, but I'm missing out on this one, and it sucks.

Does it have Jaime lose his hand, or did they make a change?

- Maynard James Keenan

#116 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

View Postworrywort, on 08 April 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Setup IS plot advancement. The beginning part.

Also that scene with Olenna underlined once again just how great the casting has been for the kids. Sansa killed it.

Also, Hot Pie. The greatest literary creation of all time just might also be the greatest television character of all time.

When I think of Hot Pie, I think of you, worry.

- Maynard James Keenan

#117 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha, did y'all catch the Dinklage nod to the Meerenese Knot when he was introducing the whores to Pod? Arguably one of my favorite moments on the show so far.

#118 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

First of all, love the bear and the maiden fair during the credits lol

So that is Ramsay snow that set theon free, not a bad way to show theons decline into reek for the next couple seasons.

I was really hoping to see the unsullied purchase this episode!

Liked how they kept the scene where edmure keeps missing his shots.

Bryndon was awesome.

I like how they're including pod, will help as he becomes a significant character on briennes quest

Tormund climbing the wall?

Finally we get some Varys.

And finally the choppy-choppy, but who is that guy supposed to be?

Ugh, long wait till next Sunday.......unsullied purchase, brothers betraying mormont. Sam the slayer, probably the karstark rebellion, and beric vs sandor!

I almost forgot to mention, where's Melisandre going?

This post has been edited by Manwitheyes: 15 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

#119 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Also I agree with briar king, Rome is my all time favourite show

#120 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 15 April 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha, did y'all catch the Dinklage nod to the Meerenese Knot when he was introducing the whores to Pod? Arguably one of my favorite moments on the show so far.

I noticed it, but I don't pay enough attention to GRRM to have caught the reference. I had to look it up.

View PostManwitheyes, on 15 April 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

First of all, love the bear and the maiden fair during the credits lol

I imagined it very differently. I think I still do, actually; I refuse to accept their version as an official version. It's not the kind of song that gets passed around by oral tradition, at all.

View PostManwitheyes, on 15 April 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

Liked how they kept the scene where edmure keeps missing his shots.

Me too; I was hoping they would as soon at the scene began. Though I feel like the whole death episode is sadly rushed.

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users