• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kallor's curse on never ascending

#21 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostMidnight, on 28 July 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Spoilers for the Bonehunters (sorry don't know how to do the tags)

Just a thought on the implication in Blood and Bone that Kallor can't die - this seems to contradict previous information in Erikson's series. We know that Whiskeyjack almost killed Kallor in Memories of Ice and on page 684 of the mass market version of the Bonehunters we have the following quote from the Queen of Dreams while she is discussing Hood's revenge against Whiskeyjack:

Hood...took in the end a most satisfying vengeance, ever turning away a healer's touch when nothing else was needed, when that touch could have changed the world, could have shattered an age-old curse.

It seems very likely here that she's talking about the curse on Kallor so it seems to imply that he can be killed. I suppose T'riss could have her facts wrong but it seems like this goes against the not-dying idea in Blood and Bone.

Maybe he can be killed, but now by his own hand.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

Like Worry says, I think the whole "when the Imass were but children" line is just a bit of bragging thrown in there. I'd compare it to Han Solo's "made the kessel run in 12 parsecs" quote. In both cases they're saying it just to brag, and the claim itself is outrageous but *could* be true if you really twist the explanation.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   limping dog 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostKanese S, on 05 August 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Maybe he can be killed, but now by his own hand.

He met up with Dassem to discredit this.

no one makes Kallor bleed his own blood.

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostKanese S, on 05 August 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

He's not an ascendant. Ascendants don't really age. Kallor does. The curse was eternal life without eternal youth. He keeps himself from becoming decrepit through alchemical means.

He can't commit suicide because of the curse. Apparently the curse the three elder gods put on him was a bit more durable than the ones he fired back with.

Disagree. He is an ascendent, just not the eternally young type of ascendent. The guy stabs dragons in the throat ... he survived having a chunk of jad dropped on him that left a crater where he stood... he is NOT a mere mortal.

As for suicide, Kallor's too egoistic to ever try to take his own life. His own reflexes practically prevent it - see TtH where he tells Spin once he draws his sword he cannot be responsible for what happens.

View Postlimping dog, on 07 August 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

...no one makes Kallor bleed his own blood.

Dassem did. Kallor retreated before Das could finish the job. If Kallor had nothing to fear, why retreat?
And iirc, Nomad Princess girl put an arrow in him before he killed her.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Indeed she did and he had to drink a sacrificial drink to be able to leave quickly enough to arrive at a place in time to have a statue dropped on him. Which only makes things even more confusing.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#26 User is offline   Dughan 

• Recruit

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostKanese S, on 05 August 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 15 March 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

The problem is he is a hundred thousand year old and counting immortal (in practice) bad ass who kills dragons with his sword and on the continent on Jackaruku he is worshiped as the evil god king by ignorant peasants and worshiped by the shadawum. According to everything we know about ascendancy he qualifies. He was once King and then Reaver of High House Chains for Kallor's sake.

The curse makes very little sense at this point. His curses failed so why don't the elder gods curses fail especially given that as he points out Nightchill and Dragnipur are destroyed. And as I point out he is in fact an ascendant.

I also dont understand why as he says he cant commit suicide.

He's not an ascendant. Ascendants don't really age. Kallor does. The curse was eternal life without eternal youth. He keeps himself from becoming decrepit through alchemical means.

He can't commit suicide because of the curse. Apparently the curse the three elder gods put on him was a bit more durable than the ones he fired back with.

For Kallor not being able to commit suicide I don't think it has anything to do with the curse, I believe it is all about his pride and his will to strike back. At the end of blood and bone Jatal asks Kallor to kill him. Kallor immediately does so. However the conversation beforehand and afterword are interesting. It appears that it can be interpreted either way.

Spoiler

The meekly part is the only part that could give two meanings to this quote. Everything else characterizes Kallor as a cold hearted bastard who wants to get his revenge.

#27 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

King Lear (the forum poster, not the Shakespeare character) and I were talking about Kallor and the nature of the curses laid on him by the Elder Gods, and his retaliatory curses.

She posited that though Draconus, Nightchill, and K'rul would seem to have broken Kallor's curses, that in fact they haven't, it's just that the nature of his curses on them is different than the nature of their curses on him.

The difference being that their curses were more continuous states of not ascending (or at least not ascending fully*), eternal life without eternal youth, and failure, not cursing him to any specific horrible catastrophe, but rather cursing the rest of his existence in perpetuity. Essentially their curses have no expiration date, as they aren't curses that happen and then are over, but curses that are continuing to happen.

In contrast, the curses Kallor retaliated with all came to pass, but they were all basically singular events that can be said to have "happened," past tense.

His curse against K'rul? Came true. K'rul was forgotten. However, the curse said nothing of what would happen after said forgetting occurred, and so it happened that eventually K'rul was rediscovered and so once again has a presence in Wu, albeit a smaller one than in ancient times.

The curse against Draconus? Obviously came true. But again, Kallor made no mention of what would happen after Draconus was cut down and imprisoned in Dragnipur. As it happened, the sword did not last forever. And so Draconus is back in action, being a BAMF, though occasionally being all sad about missing Mama D, and mildly scolding his evil daughter.

Perhaps the least 'temporary setback' of Kallor's curses was the one against the Sister of Cold Nights. Basically, he said that even after getting ripped apart, her torment wouldn't end, and it didn't. While it would seem that since she's been reborn in Silverfox, that she's gotten over that, how do we know that Silverfox isn't internally tormented? There are many kinds of torment, after all, and her torment could now be emotional/philosophical. Missing Bellurdan could be a torment, even. Being in charge of the T'lan Imass certainly would weigh heavily on her, especially given that she knows that really she should probably release them, and also the pressure of having this burden that she didn't really ask for, but kinda fell into as the first mortal bonecaster in millennia. Plus there's the whole having to share a body with some human mage who she got along with in their past life, but wasn't besties with or anything like that, is probably a bit complicated, and again, not something she exactly asked for.

Basically, Kallor cursed the Elder Gods with terrible events, though ones that, given that death is cheap and their souls don't go away, they could recover from, given enough time. The Elder Gods, on the other hand, cursed Kallor with a shitty life.

*I would maintain that due to the fact that Kallor would be a shriveled, motionless blob/husk without his century candles, he's not an ascendant, as he would be doomed if the knowledge to make such were ever lost and never rediscovered, unless of course he makes them himself, but this isn't all that related to the point KL was making, as even if he is an ascendant, he is not as ascended as the kind that stays young forever

#28 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

I suppose 'Kallor's curses were pretty rubbish and poorly worded as curses go' makes more sense than my original 'his curses have worn off over time, much like the Elder God's curses on him' or my just-thought 'the curse about all of his achievements failing miserably affected his curses, he was doomed to fail forever' ideas.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#29 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hmmm, I think it could definitely go with the last one. He was cursed to fail forever, before he cursed the Elder Gods, and so while his curses did work, they all came to pass and such, they perhaps didn't do what he intended them to, partly because of his arrogance in assuming that they would be final. So even though he succeeded in cursing them to have terrible catastrophes befall them (well, K'rul's was more of a "terribly depressing insignificance" than a terrible catastrophe), ultimately he failed because was arrogant in assuming that they wouldn't come back from those curses, and they all did.

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

That'll be a lesson to everybody as you construct your curses. Word them wisely or you end up with the monkey's paw effect.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, make sure your curse is a gift that keeps on giving.

#32 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Consult your solicitor before all curses.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Kallor himself says in.... i think TtH... that his aspect seems to be blind ambition. If so, the EGs curse was perhaps just another in an endless series of obstacles he brought on himself, especially if he's an Az'i going all the way back to the FoD era and has been repeating the same cycle of conquest and failure ever since.

Considering that if in fact he was in position to draw on the force of his sacrifice - the destruction of an entire empire - just once, he could have killed himself, he could have ascended to godhood, perhaps he could have changed his aspect, FFS he could have just powered up, pulled out his sword and charged the EGs... and instead he wasted that power on a curse.

The revelation in FoD that Kallor may be Az'i also changes the context of the 3 EGs visit... they were on their way to rein in a tyrant kinsman, not to take down a particularly nasty human ruler. ... actually if there is a relationship there that would also explain why it came down to curses instead of stabbyfeste.

#34 User is offline   limping dog 

• Corporal

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 August 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Dassem did. Kallor retreated before Das could finish the job. If Kallor had nothing to fear, why retreat?

I don't recall blood coming out. I always found Kallor avoiding fights with people he knew were better than him.

#35 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

View Postlimping dog, on 09 August 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I don't recall blood coming out. I always found Kallor avoiding fights with people he knew were better than him.

That's a ref to the conversation with Brood in MoI, but when faced with Dassem in RCG he hung around long enough to know he was going to lose then ran for it.

I don't have BaB with me so i can't remember if there was a ref to an arrow wound, but i vaguely think there was.

#36 User is offline   Dughan 

• Recruit

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 August 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

View Postlimping dog, on 09 August 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

That's a ref to the conversation with Brood in MoI, but when faced with Dassem in RCG he hung around long enough to know he was going to lose then ran for it.

I don't have BaB with me so i can't remember if there was a ref to an arrow wound, but i vaguely think there was.

Yes there was. The Princess Andanii was somehow attacked by Kallor but not before she was able to fire off an arrow into his side. It's not referenced when she is dying but later when Jatal meets with Kallor inside of the city, He takes the arrow out of his side and gives it to Jatal.

#37 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 August 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Kallor himself says in.... i think TtH... that his aspect seems to be blind ambition. If so, the EGs curse was perhaps just another in an endless series of obstacles he brought on himself, especially if he's an Az'i going all the way back to the FoD era and has been repeating the same cycle of conquest and failure ever since.

Considering that if in fact he was in position to draw on the force of his sacrifice - the destruction of an entire empire - just once, he could have killed himself, he could have ascended to godhood, perhaps he could have changed his aspect, FFS he could have just powered up, pulled out his sword and charged the EGs... and instead he wasted that power on a curse.

The revelation in FoD that Kallor may be Az'i also changes the context of the 3 EGs visit... they were on their way to rein in a tyrant kinsman, not to take down a particularly nasty human ruler. ... actually if there is a relationship there that would also explain why it came down to curses instead of stabbyfeste.

Indeed, him being an out of control peer rather than just a human would explain why the didn't just go "Lol, what a douche," and then squish him.

#38 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Ok, so Kallor is human-that is clear in the books. He pissed off elder gods(azathanai) and they cursed him. He cannot escape the.curses as he continues.to.age Nd he is turned upon by his fellows at the.end.of.the.book. Convergence-Kallor is drawn to Ascendants but he will never become one.

#39 User is offline   Azathanai 

• Recruit

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

I like the idea of Kallor as Azathanai. His name is long enough for one.

Why would three A's curse a mortal to be mortal? Why would a mortal's curse hold such power over three A's?

The wording of the curse is specific - mortality, with life unending. Never to ascend. The Azathanai raw power seems fairly unlimited to begin with, but the nature of Ascendancy isn't entirely clear. We've seen Azathanai explore their powers by aligning themselves with various subtle elements in the world. Perhaps the root of Ascendancy is a binding between a being and a subtle force of the world so that an exchange of energy may occur. A's have it easy - with such power inherent they can explore to their hearts content, but a binding is still required. Humans must precisely align themselves for a binding to occur, and then may inherit greater power, Many possibilities.

IF I'm on to something these curses take away everything possible. A's cannot die, but they can feel. The feel of Mortality has made Kallor wish he could die. Their power cannot be taken, but if my theory on Ascendancy holds, then Kallor may never bind his power to external forces. Kallor clearly has power, raw and poignant, but appears unable to channel it.

If I'm wrong, it will be interesting to discover where Kallor's power comes from. The curse itself could be the source. But why ever would three A's, devastated and enraged by Kallor's actions, curse him to live forever clearly knowing he would continue his destructive patterns? Unless those facets were beyond their control.

Whatever the case it seems answers are coming soon.

#40 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Kallor is the author, trapped in his own story. :rofl:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users