• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOUSE OF CARDS Netflix Original Series - Politics, Kevin Spacey, David Fincher

#21 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Oh shit, didnt know season 3 was out. Time to binge watch.
No Touchy.

#22 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Yeah Netflix releases all episodes of their shows in one go.
No Touchy.

#23 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

Got the season done in two days. I'll think on it for a while and then talk about it in more depth after these first impressions:

1) The show has done better about making Frank and Claire's actions more visibly rephrensible in a moral sense.
2) However, the show subtracted most of its racial commentary while adding only a little of gender-based commentary. I think the next season will see if that plays out better.
3) Frank is such a strange mix of Bush II, Dole, Obama and a bisexual FDR that the historical references, the twisted political references and the storylines themselves are fairly rich digging for those familiar with these things and histories.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 28 February 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

Yeah Netflix releases all episodes of their shows in one go.

I love this.

I'm almost done. Watching Shameless, Walking dead and House of Cards.!! total win on a slow day.

This season felt different as it really focused on their relationship. I love love the Russian (president?)

I wasn't happy about the fall so far..
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#25 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:26 AM

View Postamphibian, on 02 March 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Got the season done in two days. I'll think on it for a while and then talk about it in more depth after these first impressions:

1) The show has done better about making Frank and Claire's actions more visibly rephrensible in a moral sense.

What was reprehensible? /confused. They are politicians

I like how Frank defines diplomacy. Just being a Fing Adult.. <and agree with me unconditionally>

More Democrats like Frank...let's kill the welfare state.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

I thought it was a strange season for many reasons.

It felt transistional, in that the Douglas Stamper and Call Girl angle was till playing out and obviously did a lot for the character. Similarly, people like Remy, seemed to just be in a limbo having only a small impact on the main story.

The story shifted from the infighting that Underwood had been masterminding for a long time, to the world stage and the politics of campaigning. I didn't find this nearly as entertaining as the first season where Underwood as the spider was manipulating everyone.

And then there's the relationship between Frank and Claire. I understand the desire to humanize these characters and examine the intricacies of the relationship, but I preferred them to be beyond the more base needs of other couples.

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

Going into spoilers because more than a few are still going along the seasons to present day:

Spoiler

#28 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Finally got around to watching S3...

The season had it's moments which I enjoyed (FEMA/Russia) but I agree with BK, the ending just threw the season out of whack for me - Claire's decision to leave Frank and throw everything away that they worked for just seemed so out of character.

She's cold and calculated where as that decision was all emotion/drama - yeah she had it tough but to walk away from everything? I just wasn't believing it...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#29 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:48 PM

just finished s1, am very impressed with the series. Without mentioning spoilers, does it get better?

#30 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

just saw ep 1, s2

Spoiler

And that speech at the end, and the whole "im willing to sit and let your child wither within you if that's required, but neither of us wants that."

Great way to kick off the season.

Real question here, Frank Underwood vs Petyr Baelish, who wins?

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 24 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

#31 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

So i finished s2. Was enjoyable for most of the run. Kinda got bored near the end.

Spoiler

#32 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:22 AM

Season 4 trailer. I agree wholeheartedly. :(

http://www.news.com....65eb5ab148f0978
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:14 AM

So psyched for the madness of King Underwood.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#34 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Man, I hate being backlogged on my DVR! I have to clear some of that out before I can afford to watch stuff on Netflix!

GRRRRRRR.... :D
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

I watched the first half hour or so of the first episode. Then I looked at the description on the first three episodes and sort of lost interest in binging on the series like I usually do.

I REAAALLY do not want to watch an entire season of some marital spat between two psychopaths. I want season 1, god damn it. I want the scheming, underhanded, top of his game Underwood. Not this romantic drama bullshit.

I'll probably still watch it over the next week but I just do not give a shit about this story line.

#36 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostApt, on 04 March 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

I watched the first half hour or so of the first episode. Then I looked at the description on the first three episodes and sort of lost interest in binging on the series like I usually do.

I REAAALLY do not want to watch an entire season of some marital spat between two psychopaths. I want season 1, god damn it. I want the scheming, underhanded, top of his game Underwood. Not this romantic drama bullshit.

I'll probably still watch it over the next week but I just do not give a shit about this story line.

Hopefully it's just set up to show him at a low, and to emphasize what kind of crafty, depraved, underhand thing he'll do to get out of it and come out on top. Hopefully the setup isn't 3 episodes of dragging on like you're implying....
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#37 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

I've now seen Episodes 1 and 2 and I'll put the spoilers in the boxes, but most of what I have to say is spoiler-free.

Do you give a shit about Claire? No, you don't. Most people don't at the close of Season 3.

The writers appear to have acknowledged that they trashed her character over the last season. The first two episodes go a long way towards establishing her identity again. Who is Claire? She is the product of what we see in Episodes 1 & 2 and when she and Francis don't get along, this lovely set of maneuvers/national politics result.

I like the political consequences of Claire and Frank fighting. If it gets to dominate the full season over the Dunbar race, I'll not like it, but two episodes in, it's nice.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by amphibian: 05 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

#38 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

To some degree, Underwood is supposed to be Bill Clinton and Claire is Hillary. The writers amped up certain elements and ignored Bill's support of Hillary's Senate run, but the focus of both having ambitions is the same.

So the discord between the two works here because Frank got what he wanted, while Claire bungled the Sec of State role.

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 March 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

Do you give a shit about Claire? No, you don't. Most people don't at the close of Season 3.

The writers appear to have acknowledged that they trashed her character over the last season. The first two episodes go a long way towards establishing her identity again. Who is Claire? She is the product of what we see in Episodes 1 & 2 and when she and Francis don't get along, this lovely set of maneuvers/national politics result.

I actually really like the Claire character. Half of that, admittedly, might of course just be me being infatuated with the actor, she is gorgeous, but I think she is a fascinating female character. Complex, ruthless but also devoted to what every weird morals she carries around in her designer hand bag.

The problem to me remains that she was a career woman in the beginning of the show. A person who was actually driving her husband to do the unscrupulous things he does. And then suddenly, 20 years into their marriage, at finishing line, she suddenly starts changing course? Sure, you could argue the possibility, the flaws of human nature, but that's not what they sold us at the beginning of the show, and it feels like a disservice to the character it self.

This was a power couple, elevated above the petty, normal social bonds and traditions us ordinary folks are weighed down by.

She was a strong, determined, calculating society woman. Suddenly making her a humanitarian who feels overshadowed or scorned by her partner who is running for president, is just lazy TV-writing, it's a complication for the sake of complicating things.

... Still not gotten around to watching more.

#40 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

Good season, but I was really hoping they'd just wrap it all up. Some shows are better for short runs.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users