#1 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Excuse me while I go change my pants.

The Witcher 3

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=8gIsYuPIKco
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#2 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

• Accountant of the Inner Circle
  • Interests:Universal domination
    Calm
    Sticks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't gotten through the first game. I played like 30 hours the first two weeks, and then I just stopped for no reason at all. Come to think of it, I do that a lot (with games, books, movies etc). I'm sure I'll get around to playing through 1 and 2 before this one sees the light of day, though. And yeah, it looks sweet.
Money rules the world. I rule the money.

#3 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

Cautiously optimistic about this one. I'm not sure I like the references to DA and TES--CDPRed are better than either, and trying to ape smth someone else does because it brings in the money.... that way lies quality dilution (far too often)

Also, making a personal story about what Geralt wants in an open-world setting? once again, need more details on how this would work before a judgement call.

OTOH, it IS CDPRED, and they are yet to do me wrong. Given the game probably takes place in Nilfgaard this time, they should be free to take more creative liberties with the world.

Still, this will be interesting no matter which way you cut it.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

CD Project RED really is one of the most fascinating and exciting game studios around right now. In my mind they are occupying that spot in the gaming community, namely the PC community, that Bioware and Blizzard used to hold. A willingness to take chances, to innovate, to create something mature and thought provoking and doing so with an amazing amount of quality and flair.

I seriously cannot wait for Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk.

#5 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostAptorius, on 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

CD Project RED really is one of the most fascinating and exciting game studios around right now. In my mind they are occupying that spot in the gaming community, namely the PC community, that Bioware and Blizzard used to hold. A willingness to take chances, to innovate, to create something mature and thought provoking and doing so with an amazing amount of quality and flair.

Pretty much :p

Ment, I'm not too worried about the mention of DA and TES because they were only mentioned as big selling competitors. It didn't sound like more than that. I could be wrong, but for now I'm happy assuming I'm not :p
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#6 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

• Accountant of the Inner Circle
  • Interests:Universal domination
    Calm
    Sticks

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostAptorius, on 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

I'm very excited to see what they do with Cyberpunk.

I finally got around to actually buying The Witcher 2, it was $9,99 on gog.com. Now, i've got maybe ten or twenty hours worth of the first game to punch my way through, and then I can play 2. I think I'll get around to it in the following months.

This post has been edited by Forkassal: 07 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Money rules the world. I rule the money.

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

New interview with the devs:
http://www.rockpaper...comment-1213558

Things of note:
-open world is in. 3 major "locations"+ a lot of stuff in the middle to explore and traverse.

Tight focus on story--approx 50 h of main story content + 50 h of additional stuff (every quest sheds a little extra light on the story, avoids info-dumping)

Apparently, trying to get away from "linear main storyline"--does this mean it's possible to ignore "major quests?"

36 "majorly different" endings possible--this means they are doing something truly massive, as in "we are going to try to predict every possible combo of what our players may do/not do" in the story--which seems incredibly cool. Also, a slight burn of ME: "our endings won't have different colours".

re-designed combat.

"Witcher senses"--apparently extra abilities to help in the storyline--some seem reminiscent of Bat-vision from Arkham games, others make me dread more QTEs. Not sure if I like this, esp if it replaces the potion system. Need to wait and see on this one. I do hope we'll get more stuff like the autopsy from TW1 though, because THAT was really cool.

Also like how they keep stressing the "open world =/= Skyrim". Given these guys' attention to story so far, I expect to get a system of pre-made quests that will rival Fallouts/Arkanum in complexity, while still being pre-made, and set in a hand-crafted world that's so big it'll be considered "open".

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 05 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

#8 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

One thing I'm really curious about is how much of an impact my choices in The Witcher 2 will have. I would love to see Iorveth (and Roche) again for more than a few seconds, yet it's not something I'm counting on right now.

It will be interesting to see what route they go with the combat. I felt the first game's combat was too centered around auto-attacking (prepare by drinking potions, then choose your form, possibly a little rolling involved as well). The second game was a step in the right direction, but I've recently started a playthrough on Dark and I think the combat could use a little more depth. I do hope that they avoid QTE; I was fine with doing them for brawling/finishing off bosses, but having them play an integral part in combat would rob it of the kind of depth I want to see added.

Sidequests sound just about like what I would expect. Of course, I will be seeking them all out.

I can kind of see how so many of the "main quests" could either be optional/non-linear. From the ending of 2, we know the game is going to center around Nilfgaard's invasion, so many of our quests will probably revolved around disrupting this in some way. Given that Nilfgaard won't be attacking just on a single front, it makes sense that we can pick and choose where to help the Northern Kingdoms (and I imagine helping one place might have dire consequences for another). That said, I wonder if we'll have the chance to side with Nilfgaard this time around, given that there have been two main paths in each game. And of course, all of this will be tied around Geralt's personal story and figuring out just what the fuck is up with the Wild Hunt. Out of everything, this is what I'm most interested in seeing conclude.

Not to down CD Projekt, but I imagine that 36 endings is a bit of an overstatement. If it ends up being 6 or 8 different endings, all with different minor details to bring things up to 36, I would be fine with that.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#9 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostDefiance, on 05 March 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

One thing I'm really curious about is how much of an impact my choices in The Witcher 2 will have. I would love to see Iorveth (and Roche) again for more than a few seconds, yet it's not something I'm counting on right now.

It will be interesting to see what route they go with the combat. I felt the first game's combat was too centered around auto-attacking (prepare by drinking potions, then choose your form, possibly a little rolling involved as well). The second game was a step in the right direction, but I've recently started a playthrough on Dark and I think the combat could use a little more depth. I do hope that they avoid QTE; I was fine with doing them for brawling/finishing off bosses, but having them play an integral part in combat would rob it of the kind of depth I want to see added.

Sidequests sound just about like what I would expect. Of course, I will be seeking them all out.

I can kind of see how so many of the "main quests" could either be optional/non-linear. From the ending of 2, we know the game is going to center around Nilfgaard's invasion, so many of our quests will probably revolved around disrupting this in some way. Given that Nilfgaard won't be attacking just on a single front, it makes sense that we can pick and choose where to help the Northern Kingdoms (and I imagine helping one place might have dire consequences for another). That said, I wonder if we'll have the chance to side with Nilfgaard this time around, given that there have been two main paths in each game. And of course, all of this will be tied around Geralt's personal story and figuring out just what the fuck is up with the Wild Hunt. Out of everything, this is what I'm most interested in seeing conclude.

Not to down CD Projekt, but I imagine that 36 endings is a bit of an overstatement. If it ends up being 6 or 8 different endings, all with different minor details to bring things up to 36, I would be fine with that.

I'm under the impression that significant chunk of the game will take place in
Spoiler

The interview mentions that the war will be "a theme", but there probably won't be major battles that Geralt partakes in ala Koyon @ Brenna.

#10 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

I wonder if their open world thing will actually make you choose where you spend your time and time running out for possible "quests" as you do other things instead. That would give insane replayability. The last game I know of to have something like that was Voyeur 2 in 1996...

I don't think elixirs are ever going away. They're a MAJOR canon point. It would be like losing the medallion or silver sword.

As for the war and politics, I think they'll stick to the witchery style of things and have Geralt stay out of major political bullshit this time. The game will, IMO, be Geralt spearheading for finding Yen and ending the Wild Chase once and for all. From the E3 trailer I've got the feeling we'll be visiting at least Touissaint, a switzerland-like "independant" mountainous duchy bordering Nilfgaard, and the Skellige islands, bearing muchos viking mojo. Possibly Cintra? Time will tell.
Wonder if Ciri will be making an appearance in some way. Don't know how they'd work that in, though.

I'm getting MASSIVE book 4 / book 5 vibes coming from this game. It's such a goddamn fucking pity I can't even talk about this shit as none of you have read them (not translated just yet eh) but I hope one day you will and I don't want to spoil the books. But SO MUCH riding on this.

Also. About the trailer again. HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE MOTHERFUCKING GRAPHICS, BY THE GODS I NEED A NEW MACHINE FOR THIS.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#11 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostGothos, on 15 June 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

I wonder if their open world thing will actually make you choose where you spend your time and time running out for possible "quests" as you do other things instead. That would give insane replayability. The last game I know of to have something like that was Voyeur 2 in 1996...

I don't think elixirs are ever going away. They're a MAJOR canon point. It would be like losing the medallion or silver sword.

As for the war and politics, I think they'll stick to the witchery style of things and have Geralt stay out of major political bullshit this time. The game will, IMO, be Geralt spearheading for finding Yen and ending the Wild Chase once and for all. From the E3 trailer I've got the feeling we'll be visiting at least Touissaint, a switzerland-like "independant" mountainous duchy bordering Nilfgaard, and the Skellige islands, bearing muchos viking mojo. Possibly Cintra? Time will tell.
Wonder if Ciri will be making an appearance in some way. Don't know how they'd work that in, though.

I'm getting MASSIVE book 4 / book 5 vibes coming from this game. It's such a goddamn fucking pity I can't even talk about this shit as none of you have read them (not translated just yet eh) but I hope one day you will and I don't want to spoil the books. But SO MUCH riding on this.

Also. About the trailer again. HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE MOTHERFUCKING GRAPHICS, BY THE GODS I NEED A NEW MACHINE FOR THIS.

I bought a GT 630 last Xmass. I hope it willl suffice.

I also read the books, so I know what you mean.

I think Ciri might be in. I was that mentioned somewhere.

#12 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think the 3rd book is out at the end of this month or something. I'm getting it when it comes out - I really liked the first two books. Can't wait for this game.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#13 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostGarak, on 15 June 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

I think the 3rd book is out at the end of this month or something. I'm getting it when it comes out - I really liked the first two books. Can't wait for this game.

you mean Book 4 (second novel)

book 2 (teh second short story collection) wasn't published in the West, because publishers are idiots.

#14 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Huh, weird. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#15 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

looks amazing

Am very excited for it. Best of all its still an underdog in some ways and just shows you dont need to be EA, Ubisoft or activision to make GREAT games! Also love how CD projeckt has been bitching about the xbox one's drm and roll out policy

#16 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

@ment- How much QTE combat was in the PC version? On console, there were only two QTE things I can remember- during 2 boss fights, and for boxing.

Anyway, this looks great!

#17 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostStalker, on 12 July 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

@ment- How much QTE combat was in the PC version? On console, there were only two QTE things I can remember- during 2 boss fights, and for boxing.

Anyway, this looks great!

ummm..

Spoiler

#18 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostMentalist, on 12 July 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

Spoiler

No QTE, but I wouldn't say it was extremely hard. Just takes a certain approach. If you want to fight him normally you'll get torn to pieces, but wait for him to charge, then dodge out of the way and stab him in the back 2-3 times, then repeat, and he's done. I think last time I fought him was on Dark Mode, he died after two sessions of stabby mcbackstab like that.

Anyways,
Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

Countdown has appeared on the Witcher website.

http://thewitcher.co...lingmonsters/?c

Probably a new trailer. Gameplay or story?

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Not sure if this is a leaked teaser trailer that the countdown is meant for.

I love his last statement about "Killing monsters" it sort of puts his whole philosophy in a different light.

Also, I have yet to finish the Witcher 2, but the trailer makes it look like a lot of time has passed. Geralt looks older and less mobile in this trailer.

EDIT: On another note I am currently some where in the first act of the Witcher 2. Initial impressions is that this may be the best videogame I have ever played, at least in terms of realised ambition. Also holy shit this is going to take my a long time to finish. I've been playing it for 4 days and it seems I am hardly making a dent in the progress. Of course this might also be because I am spending a ton of time exploring and getting acquainted with the mechanics. I think I might end up playing through the game on easy because I am finding the combat system somewhat frustrating. Deep and rewarding yes but also downright impossible at times.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 14 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users