Malazan Empire: Do you know any WELL KNOWN Religious stories? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you know any WELL KNOWN Religious stories? Need input! As much as possible!

#41 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostMacros, on 14 March 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

ah, i knew I had heard it somewhere but still can't remember who from or where. seems it was a weak attempt to realitise a religious analogy.
Still, bears keeping in my for our potential author here, you could link parable to half truths. Because that doesnt happen in religion
Also, the Eye of the Needle example may be an instance of convenient reinterpretation. If you take it literally, it basically denies salvation to those of wealth and power. The 'gate' explanation suggests merely that salvation for such people is very difficult, not impossible. Which is useful when a religion has moved from a minority faith of the poor and oppressed to the state doctrine, as you don't want to suggest that the powerful, even if believers, can't be saved.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#42 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

See also the abuse of 'the poor will always be with you'.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#43 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

skimmed the thread.

a well-known religious tale? Buddha gained enlightenment after sitting under a tree,giving up all his worldly posessions
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#44 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

There was a story about some dude called Whiskeyjohn or something. Anyway, in the first book a big black guy zapped some other guys and Whiskeyjohn tried to blow up a city or something. Tbh there are another twenty books or something, and none of them make a lot of sense.

But....then some dudes made a website and loads of other dudes (and some chicks) post stuff about the black dude being cool. Or something. Might be a religious story?

SnooginsXX

#45 User is offline   Acorn 

• Sergeant
  • SHHH!!

The walls have feet.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yes, the Pope resigned because he read my current line of rebellion from the party line...

I didn't think he'd actually do it, he told me I'd ruined everything from him and now he's going to move in next door to Tom Cruise and present himself for brainwashing and indoctrination into the Scientology Sect... He also thinks this may end up getting him a new career as an Actor, but I'm not convinced... He claims he can do a killer Clint Eastwood impression, but I've yet to see it.

In other news, I've just begun my destruction of Ghandi and am half way through my dissection of Jonah and the "Big Fish"... Which sounds more like a Dr Suess story than a holy scripture, but I guess they weren't being terribly picky when making up stories.

I want to reexamine the story of John the Baptist as well - I've got an interesting take on how he was really just a Bath attendant that had a way with his hands, if you know what I mean, and built up a following of dedicated fans always seeking his "delivering touch"...

Well, not really, but still going to pick apart the John the Baptist story and put it together in a new way. I will try to leave the creepy touchy-feely thing out of it... But it could be hard.

But thanks for asking - things are going well, I've had to resort to writing by hand mostly, the baby likes to screw up my efforts on the laptop. I'll be finishing my office soon and will begin to work in there 2 hours a night. We'll see where I can go with all this (aside to hell, of course)!

As soon as I get some actual story chapters down I'll get them up here some how (through a personal website I think is best).

#46 User is offline   Acorn 

• Sergeant
  • SHHH!!

The walls have feet.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostMentalist, on 24 March 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

skimmed the thread.

a well-known religious tale? Buddha gained enlightenment after sitting under a tree,giving up all his worldly posessions

So.. like Isaac Newton? Except for the possessions thing... Hell, the Universe gave Newton more possessions in the form of an apple. (It was an apple wasn't it?)

Interesting.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users