Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preparing for the finale Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   artvandelay 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hey, first post but I've read these forums for a few years. Also, Happy new year!
I've started reading DoD and have really enjoyed it so far. However, there's lots I've forgotten in the series and need a touch up. I recently re-read GotM and MoI (thoroughly enjoyed), but I can't be bothered/cant allow myself the time atm to re-read the rest of the series. I'm also pretty keen to smash through the last 2 books while I'm on holidays before I start what should be a busy year.

Mostly, I've forgotten the characters. Who they are and what they've done (even some of the Malazans like Smiles). If anyone could provide a summary of some of the more important characters in the finale, that would be great. Or point me in the direction of some good summaries. Or convince me to just re-read a couple more books (Bonehunters and Reapers Gale?)

What have the Barghast done recently?
Who is Yedan Derryg and the Shake?

I read this thread which was quite helpful, as well as skimmed through some of the tor re-reads.

http://forum.malazan...showtopic=21737

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

http://www.tor.com/f...d-of-the-fallen

This has good chapter summaries of Gardens of the Moon through Reaper's Gale. It'll still take awhile to read through all of the chapter summaries, but it will be much quicker than re-reading the entire series and we can always help answer any remaining questions that you might have.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

to your two questions:

1. the barghast have recently left genebackis via ancient war canoe.

2. yeddan derryg and the shake are a population of humans with very thin threads of andii blood and a rich andii mythology that only the royals traditionally knew about.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   artvandelay 

• Recruit

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

So this Yeddan Derryg is pretty powerful. He took out a Fokrul Assail and some Liosan. Did he do much in previous books that made us aware of his skills? I was expecting the Fokrul Assail to dominate him.

Olar Ethil = Burn? Isn't Burn asleep, or have I forgotten something?

Also, how did Hedge come back life again and in what book? I remember him as a spirit/ascendant still being involved, but can't remember him coming back to life properly.

Just up to the final book of DoD now. Smashing through it pretty fast as I'm on holidays. Its been amazing at times, although fairly slow overall. Too much nothing going on. Not really into all the story lines, but the Malazan, Letherii, Barghast, KCCM parts are all good-great, as well as any time a god/ascendant is involved.

Gotta feel for Toc the Younger. Probably the most tragic story out of all the characters for me.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hedge winds up in the Refugium after traveling through various bordering lands (from the Nascent, where those giant Hound statues are), and comes to life there just as the Imass did (and also catches up with Quick Ben).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

yeddan derryg's first display of martial skill (that we see) is when he kills off near a hundred witches and warlocks of the shake, so we know that he's a cold-blooded killer. what we find out is just how seriously he takes his title of 'Watch' and what that can drive him to do.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users