Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toll The Hounds Conclusion Questions

#1 User is offline   leebor 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Okay so I finished TtH at the end of summer last year and didnt have time to read DoD at all during the school year and, quite unfortunately, feel like i have forgotten some of what happened. If anybody could give me the jist of what happened in the last parts of TtH as a quick refresher or point me in the direction of a thread that has already covered this, it would be more than appreciated

tl;dr-starting DoD, what happened at the end of TtH?

#2 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

The murderer with no fingers (can't remember his name off the top of my head) had killed enough people for his wife to work a ritual that would summon Hood to Darujhistan.

Hood arrives and people start randomly dying from his presence. He meets Rake, says that he's reconsidered, and gets his head lopped off with Dragnipur.

Outsidie the city, Spinnock Durav, Rake's second in command, fights Kallor to prevent him from joining in the convergence.

Near Black Coral, Seerdomin has a surreal spiritual battle with Salind, the waif priestess possessed by the Dying God.

Back in the city, Karsa and Dassem arrive. Cotillion appears, begs Dassem to turn aside, but he will not. He comes upon Rake, they fight, Rake is killed with Dragnipur.

The moon explodes and the Hounds of Light are sent forth by a mysterious force, to claim Dragnipur.

Envy and Spite happen upon each other and begin a mage duel, before deciding to team up on claim Dragnipur themselves.

The sword is defended by Karsa and Crokus. Shadowthrone sends the Hounds of Shadow to aid them. Tulas Shorn, the undead soletaken eleint Edur recently escaped from Hood's realm swoops in an carries two Hounds of Light away, to their deaths.

Inside Dragnipur, Chaos is closing in on the wagon and the Gate of Darkness. Hood arrives and summons all the legions of the dead to fight it off. A great battle begins there, with Whiskeyjack and Dujek leading Hood's forces.

Gruntle and co. arrive inside Dragnipur, do something I can't quite remember, and then leave. The Seguleh 2nd follows them back to Darujhistan and joins the fight against the Hounds of Light.

Iskaral Pust means to seize Dragnipur in the name of Shadowthrone, but is stopped by Kruppe and they have an epic mule duel.

Kallor defeats Spinnock, but Korlat and Orfantal arrive in their Soletaken forms. Orfantal picks Kallor up and begins to fly away, but Kallor slits his throat and kills him.

Kallor continues on to Darujhistan, but arrives too late.

Karsa is joined by his two daughters he sired back in the beginning of House of Chains, along with the dog he left behind. Together with Crokus and the 2nd, they succeed in driving the Hounds of Light away.

As Envy and Spite are about to make a play for the sword, Brood arrives and they run off. Brood takes the sword.

Inside the sword, Rake arrives and goes all Crystal Dragon Jesus and saves the Gate of Darkness from Chaos. Mother Dark returns to the Andii.

They bury Rake in a barrow outside the city. Brood breaks Dragnipur with the Hammer of Burn. Envy tells him that Draconus is now free.

Kallor drinks in a tavern.

The end.
These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#3 User is offline   World 8 

• Recruit

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

SpectreofEschaton, on 11 May 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Tulas Shorn, the undead soletaken eleint Edur recently escaped from Hood's realm swoops in an carries two Hounds of Light away, to their deaths.

Actually he carries three away.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

Glad that's cleared up.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

SpectreofEschaton forgot one little bit:

Picker escapes from weird mind place and arrives just as the battle against the Hounds of Light ends. She tells Karsa he has to stay in Darujhistan to kill a God.

She also sends Samir Dev to her pub with permission to get slightly molested by her girlfriend if she offers.

Although I think the first point is probably more relevant going forward.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

World 8, on 01 December 2011 - 03:46 AM, said:

Tulas Shorn, the undead soletaken eleint Edur recently escaped from Hood's realm swoops in an carries two Hounds of Light away, to their deaths.

Actually he carries three away.

I'm blanking - is it actually clear that those ones were killed?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

...Inside Dragnipur, Chaos is closing in on the wagon and the Gate of Darkness. Hood arrives and summons all the legions of the dead to fight it off. A great battle begins there, with Whiskeyjack and Dujek leading Hood's forces.

And Brukhalian. Toc is there too.

epic mule duel.

Quote for awesome phrasing.

Also:

Endest Silann dies holding off the Dying God's evil black goo rain.
Nimander and company make it to Black Coral in time to stop the Dying God from subverting all the Andii. Nimander kicks Clip's ass and there is much rejoicing.

#8 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

Im sure he drops three from a great height bu I cant remember if they die. If you checked future books there might be info in there ofc

Not sure where else to put this but as its relevant Id thought it put it here.

When did Shardam Lim die? Hanut Orr was killed by Gaz, Gorlas got mined by Crokus but for the life of me I cant remember what happened to him.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Seems apropos to throw this in here...

Abyss, on 28 March 2009 - 12:08 PM, said:

Ask, and ye shall receive... from Jan 5 2009

I've discussed this elsethread, but hey, why not once more...

WHY DID IT HAVE TO HAPPEN IN DARUJHISTAN?

Because it would have been fucking boring in the middle of the desert with no one around.

NO, REALLY, WHY DID IT HAVE TO HAPPEN IN DARUJHISTAN?

Couple of reasons...

Hood had to manifest fully. Due to whatever twists and turns of magic are involved, he can't just do a 'poof, here i am' thing, probably because there is more power in the actions of human worshippers than in gods acting of their own accord. In other instances where Hood has manifested outside a temple, collecting Baudin or Apsalar's father, he may have been present, but that was for a purpose of collecting a soul, and probably linked to the death taking place and his role as gatekeeper. In MoI he manifests when QB follows the link thru Talamanadas, and at the end in his own temple, - both instances where his power is involved. TtH is different - for the overall plan to work, Hood has to die and yet carry the totality of his power into Dragnipur so he can bring in the armies of the dead. Even with Dragnipur weakening, that can't be easy, so something more complex is called for.

So Hood sets up this very elaborate scheme, investing power in that guy with no fingers, who becomes a (not 'the'... 'a') Soldier in HHDeath, and his wife who becomes Mason for the duration of the ritual, not permanently. Fingerless goes around killing people, basically gathering souls to power the ritual. His wife prepares the ritual itself and then kills him - there is power in souls and power in sacrifice and this was both - so Hood is pulled, entirely, into Darujhistan.

Think about that for a moment - in anything other than a big city, Soldier and Mason would not have been likely to accomplish this.

OKAY, WHY ELSE?

Shadowthrone and Cotillion were in on this from the start, and given Pallid and Lock's appearance, they knew other players would get involved. A massive city, with all the powers likely to be present in a convergence, offers more opportunity for distraction. Thus, the Hounds of Shadow could keep Pallid and Lock away. Thus Iskaral, ST's own High Priest, could be on the scene and try to seize the sword, and thus Baruk and Brood - arguably the only two ascendents Rake trusted - could be present. Plus other elements like Cutter - an agent of Cotillion - bringing the Second's spear to the scene to provide a link the Second, now Hood's Knight, could follow to arrive in time. And finally, Karsa was there. Look at Karsa's meeting with ST and Cot and consider whether by telling Karsa to stay away, they weren't making damn sure the toughest motherfucker on the planet wouldn't be right there watching Dassem's back when the shit went down hard.

Also, the city itself is loaded with power and history and that is another element that comes into play in convergence and ritual in these books.

SO DAS IS BETTER THAN RAKE, RIGHT?

No. Rake was fighting with the magical weight of more or less an entire mini-world in his sword, and he set up the hit so that Das struck Dragnipur into Rake and killed him. Rake wins.

LAME! RAKE SHOULD HAVE JUST GIVEN HIMSELF A PAPER CUT!!!

Wrong again. See above - power requires sacrifice. Rake was about to move the gate to the primal womb of the universe out of the sword warren it had been sitting in for a few thousand millenia and into a city on the other side of the continent which also sat in a transported chunk of elder warren. Cutting your finger isn't sacrifice. Killing the god of death and then tricking the god of sorrow into smashing your own sword into your own face and thus denying him the revenge he's spent the last hundred years or so chasing, and killing a few hundred innocent bystanders to set up the entire thing (fingerless' victims, people caught by the ripple in Hood's passage thru the city, and the others taken out in the Hounds' fights), and using up the post-death souls of several million or so... THAT is SACRIFICE.

WHY DID THEY NEED ALL THE DEAD SOULS TO DO THIS?

Because the wagon had to stop, and Chaos would have just jumped on it if someone wasn't in place to delay it, and the chained souls were too weak, AND had to be eliminated in case it all worked and the more dangerous ones would be released.

HOOD WAS DEAD - WHAT'S DASSEM'S PROBLEM?

He's spent a hundred years trying to get back at Hood for what happened to his daughter at the last Chaining. Now someone else - one of the few people Das actually respected - has killed Hood, and then used Das' fury to commit suicide. He's been denied, tricked out of the one thing that's been driving him for a century. He's a little messed up just then.

IS HOOD REALLY DEAD?

We don't really know for sure. Everyone seems pretty certain at the end of TtH that Draconus is going to re-emerge, and that means powerful souls chained in Dragnipur are coming back to the world, in some way. Logically that would include Hood, but then, Hood already 'died' once before when he ascended to take on the role of Hood (assuming that was his bodysicle Hedge found in RG). Draconus died for the first time when Rake took Dragnipur from him.

It does seem clear Hood is no longer 'Hood' - whatever comes next, he's given up his aspect of death which it seems he held since the Jaghut race's failed war against death that Kallor discussed with the undead dragon.

Basically, it could go either way. Trust in SE. SE is good. SE is great.

SO DASSEM CAN BEAT ICARIUM?

Shut up and die.

#10 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:09 AM

Abyss, on 01 December 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

SO DASSEM CAN BEAT ICARIUM?

Shut up and die.

I think that might be my favourite quote on the forum. Ever.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#11 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Tiam ~ I am not sure Shardon dies at all? We know about Gorlas and Hanut as you have said but I dont think it is ever mentioned what happens to Lim, I assumed he dropped his ambitions when his partners met grizzly ends and is still sitting on the council get nominated to useless ventures as the council had been doing to keep them from anything important.

#12 User is offline   ur-lord 

• Recruit

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

I just finished TtH (for the 2nd time), wow.

I was reading this thread to look for discussion on so many, many questions I'm left with.

But here are a few other summary things that happened at or near the end, for easy recap... Still so many questions. And sorry in advance for any misspellings of names, too psyched to fact check.

Cutter sails away with Sister Spite on a boat, heading west toward Seven Cities.

Barathol makes out hardcore with Scillara (nice!)

Chaur died saving Barathol from a Hound of Light attack.

Nimander is made "king" of the Tiste Andii with Rake's death (takes the throne), Kurald Ghalain manifests for real in Black Coral w/ Mother Dark's return.

Clip is still alive and presumably a pain in the ass as always, but not possessed by the Dying God (Skullcrusher Belledan) any longer.

The High Priestess of the Cult of the Redeemer (Salind) survived and was redeemed by her god (Itkovian), but Seerdomin was killed by her during the confrontation.

The Seguleh Second (former Soldier of High House Death) was released by Hood to pursue his vengeance against Skinner, after he took the lance from Cutter and killed a few Hounds of Light first during the confrontation over Rake's Corpse/Dragnipur in Daru.

Traveller is seen heading east into the Gadrobi hills, very down, but Cotillion/Shadowthrone plan to visit him in a few days to continue discussing their offer or something, some task to give him life again I assume.

Fisher Kel Tath, the badass Bard, is one of the two people who listen to Kruppe and watch him dance, which is how the entire book is framed narratively. At the end of the novel, Fisher and Lady Envy (they're lovers) share a drink.

When Dragnipur is shattered by Brood, whatever souls were left alive in it return to the real world, including Draconus for sure, Apsala'ra, possibly the Bridgeburners (Iskar Jarak, Dujek, whoevers left)...? I'm speculating a bit here.

Iskaral Pust re-writes the "canon" of House Shadow to allow High Shadow Magi (himself) to have more than one wife, so he can finally (attempt to) get the hottie priestess in bed, and Magora doesn't seem to upset about this.

Duiker seems despondent and weird as ever.

I'm not positive, but I can't recall exactly where the Trygalle Trade Guild carriage with Mappo, Cartographer, Gruntle, Quell, Precious Thimble and the Boll Brothers, Glanno, etc. ended up after they left the Dragnipur warren and rescued Picker's soul... Not sure we're given that intel. Presumably still heading toward Lether or wherever Icarium is. Also should note that the carriage likely stopped earlier on Assail, the Wrecking Coast, where the Jaghut husband/wife feud and curse of local young women was ongoing.

#13 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

As this topic is 7 months old, I feel fine is just flippantly replying that I'm pretty confident Pust managed to bang the High Priestess after all, ST and Cot have a little discussion where they're amazed he managed it all all. Pust rather insightfully attributes it to the fact he wields power.
That's why he rewrites the rules, so he can now take her as a second wife in addition to Mogora.
I could be wrong, but I think he did get lucky

EDIT: looked it up, and it's Mogora he's talking with, page 1222 tTH, bbpb.

"Mogora: You deserve even worse! Did you drug her senseless? There's no other way she'd agree to-"
Pust " Power! I have power!" etc

This post has been edited by Weave: 31 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#14 User is offline   Zenstrive 

• Corporal

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

epic mule duel? Finally a reason to finish this muck of a book.
Feels even more dragging than Reaper's Gale...

#15 User is offline   Abstruse 

• Corporal

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have to make one minor correction to one thing that ur-lord said..
"Chaur died saving Barathol from a Hound of Light attack."

Chaur is actually alive when he is left in the Azath, so technically still alive...

Though my husband (who has finished the series) says that MANY of the people we read about in TtH are not carried on in DoD... so Chaur maybe left in the Azath, and that's the end of his story at this point.. but out of my love for his character, and the connection he has with Barathol, not dead <3

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

I won't name names or say spoilers, but Orb Sceptre Throne is pretty much a direct sequel to TTH, if you or your husband want to read more about some of the people who aren't included in the two-book finale.

This post has been edited by worrywort: 14 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   sting01 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

worrywort, on 14 April 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

I won't name names or say spoilers, but Orb Sceptre Throne is pretty much a direct sequel to TTH, if you or your husband want to read more about some of the people who aren't included in the two-book finale.

It is chronologicaly following TTH , on the same time line as DoD. It also tie some loose ends.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users