• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cheap/Free Ebooks Thread!

#541 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:41 PM

Looks like TOR is giving away a second free e-book for December, so don't skip today's email: it's Myke Cole's The Armed Saint, which I'm not familiar with.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#542 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

View Postworry, on 17 December 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Looks like TOR is giving away a second free e-book for December, so don't skip today's email: it's Myke Cole's The Armed Saint, which I'm not familiar with.

I follow Myke on Twitter, but haven't read any of his books yet, even though I own most of them. (And I bought The Armored Saint on sale a month or two back.) Word of mouth seems to be really good, and it will be one of the first books I read once I get out of my female-and-minority-authors-only groove.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#543 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:07 AM

The Book of Swords, edited by Gardner Dozois and containing a story by GRRM, is 1.99$ on Kindle.

Regarding Cole, The Armored Saint is his weakest work. So probably not the best place to start. . .
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#544 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:39 AM

Oh oops, that title is better. Can't wait to see your end-of-year list if you make one!
@Pat: It's also his free-est work, so it's gonna be where I start.

#545 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:35 PM

Yep, there will be a top 10, of course!

The problem will TAS and its sequel is that it contains nothing of what made Cole's previous works so compelling. This is YA fare with none of the shades of gray that made his first 2 trilogies such enjoyable reads.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#546 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

Forgive me, I meant SMZ's list cuz he had a specific project this year I want to crib off of, and I wasn't sure if he was planning to post a retrospective. But of course I do read your list too! I mean, it's the Hotlist!

Re: Cole though, his first Shadow Ops book is $2.99 right now on Kindle so I got that anyway. It's not a subgenre I usually read so I'll give it a shot!

#547 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:29 AM

View Postworry, on 18 December 2018 - 11:06 PM, said:

I meant SMZ's list cuz he had a specific project this year I want to crib off of, and I wasn't sure if he was planning to post a retrospective.

I will definitely have a year-end list! I always try to. My "project" is actually an ongoing thing that started well into last year, and I don't really know when I'll wrap it up. (I figure at some point I'll tire of it and just go back to reading whoever, but that's not anywhere in sight yet. Which is not to say I haven't "cheated", but I've got ready excuses for the 3 books I cheated with. ;))

In the meantime, you can see what I've gotten through so far here.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#548 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:57 PM

I did a similar project to that and it really helped me find some great books, plus become aware of several story/character molds I was kind of not seeing by always reading dude books.

Probably the single best find was Ash: A Secret History. That book goes SO hard.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#549 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

Oh yah, I meant to add that one when you first mentioned it but I think its length intimidated me. But it's $3.99 on Kindle so I got that too!

#550 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Ah, yes, Ash. I've got it in both paperback and Kindle (and have for years) but have yet to work up the gumption to tackle something so large.

#551 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:04 AM

Ash has a very grim beginning, which may bounce some readers away. However, if you stick it out, things go differently than you'd think from a "medieval mercenary company struggles to survive" storyline.

The length is considerable, yet the second half goes at a nearly breakneck pace.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#552 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:17 AM

Ah I gave up on Ash. It just didn't seem to click with be but I can't remember why I felt like that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#553 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:48 AM

Too ashy?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#554 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:59 PM

This was on my Amazon wishlist for a while, and I just noticed it dropped to $0.99: Sword & Mythos anthology edited by Silvia Moreno-Garcia and Paula Stiles. Supposedly Lovecraft meets Sword & Sorcery. I enjoyed the last collection from this team (She Walks in Shadows, which is also only $2.99 at the moment.)

#555 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 December 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

Ah I gave up on Ash. It just didn't seem to click with be but I can't remember why I felt like that.

As usual, we align. I had the exact same experience with it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#556 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

The expanded novelization of Solo: A Star Wars Story is only $1.99 right now:
US only: http://amazon.com/dp/B07D6BR1RK

#557 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 December 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

Too ashy?

Yeah I just couldn't be ashed with it.

QT I can't work it out I really wanted to love it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#558 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:21 PM

Have you tried expanding the circumference of your love to include that which it did not previously encircle?

#559 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:07 AM

For those who have still not read it, DC NEW FRONTIER is $5 on ComiXology. Do yourself a favour.

Buy it ( and read it). The late great Darwyn Cooke’s magnum opus. It’s incredible and possibly top 3 graphic novels ever created.

While you are threre...CRISIS is on for $5 too, ALSO worth it.

But if you’ve only got a fiver...NEW....FRONTIER.

DO IT NOW!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#560 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 December 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

For those who have still not read it, DC NEW FRONTIER is $5 on ComiXology. Do yourself a favour.

Buy it ( and read it). The late great Darwyn Cooke's magnum opus. It's incredible and possibly top 3 graphic novels ever created.

While you are threre...CRISIS is on for $5 too, ALSO worth it.

But if you've only got a fiver...NEW....FRONTIER.

DO IT NOW!

Sold.

Share this topic:

• 94 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users