• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cheap/Free Ebooks Thread!

#1 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I've been meaning to do this for awhile now, so here we go. Basically, if you stumble across discounted or free SF/F ebooks on amazon or wherever post the info.

I'll start us off with this triple giveaway from Nightshade books. Their past giveaways had some good books so these could be promising.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Stupefying Stories has released a 2013 Campbellian Pre-Reading Anthology for free for a limited time. It includes 80 stories by 43 authors eligible for this year's John W. Campbell Best New Author award. I've read Van Aaron Hughes' "The Dualist" previously and enjoyed it.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Baen Free Library

updates what's available every few months too.
meh. Link was dead :(

#4 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Baen has been methodically removing all their books from their free section. Only like 10ish left there now unfortunately.
And I'll check out that anthology, thanks SMZ.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostStalker, on 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Baen has been methodically removing all their books from their free section.

Yeah, I was fortunate to have grabbed the complete Vorkosigan Saga for free just a month or two before Baen pulled it.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 11 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Yeah, I was fortunate to have grabbed the complete Vorkosigan Saga for free just a month or two before Baen pulled it.

I noticed that too.

I assume someone crunched the dollars and decided that it wasn't worth it any longer, but too bad, because i discovered a pile of authors through there and did buy their later books.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Almost all the novels of Joseph Robert Lewis are available for free on his site. I can't vouch for their quality, though I poked around Amazon and LibraryThing looking for reviews, and didn't see anything bad. I downloaded them all, 'cause hey, why not?

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 February 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 11 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

I noticed that too.

I assume someone crunched the dollars and decided that it wasn't worth it any longer, but too bad, because i discovered a pile of authors through there and did buy their later books.

Relatedly, a bunch of free books from the old library are still being linked here http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

...WITH Baen's permission, btw.

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Relatedly, a bunch of free books from the old library are still being linked here http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Yep, that's where the Bujold stuff used to be. I just downloaded the Honor Harrington zip because I recognized the name. Anything else there especially worth grabbing? (I'll confess my "Take it all! It's free! It's freeeeee!" instincts are starting to kick in.)

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 March 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Yep, that's where the Bujold stuff used to be. I just downloaded the Honor Harrington zip because I recognized the name. Anything else there especially worth grabbing? (I'll confess my "Take it all! It's free! It's freeeeee!" instincts are starting to kick in.)

i haven't really looked thru what's there, but it appears to include the Hammer's Slammers, Aldenata, Looking Glass and Council Wars series and provided you enjoy Weber/Ringo/White's style of milSF, i think they're worthwhile (they're free, d'uh), with the qualifier that while i enjoyed the main series, some of the spin-off Aldenata books by other authors were pretty mediocre-to-bad.

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, I'm digging into two of the Honorverse zips, and there's a lot of extra stuff in here. I might just go the "download it all now, sort it out later" route.

#12 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

To celebrate Tor.com's 5th anniversary, they're giving away a free ebook of all of their original stories during that time to registered users. This sucker is huge; really, it's all of the individual ebooks just wrapped into one file. Close to 150 stories: http://www.tor.com/b...rdotcom-stories

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 16 July 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

To celebrate Tor.com's 5th anniversary, they're giving away a free ebook of all of their original stories during that time to registered users. This sucker is huge; really, it's all of the individual ebooks just wrapped into one file. Close to 150 stories: http://www.tor.com/b...rdotcom-stories

relatedly the Lavie Tidhar story they posted today was a nice read. worth a look/see.

#14 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

The first issue of Neil Gaiman's Sandman is Free on amazon this week. I've heard good things about it, so looking forward to checking it out.

#15 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Peter Watts has several sci-fi novels available for free. Blindsight is apparently a hard sci-fi novel that was up for several awards when it was first published. The other three are part of a trilogy made up of Starfish, Maelstrom, and Behemoth.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Various places have Warren Ellis' short story DEAD PIG COLLECTOR for .99cents.

#17 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:28 AM

I found This cool list of discounted September SF/F books, all under $4. I grabbed like 6 books for $8 of random books that sounded interesting. At the very bottom of the list is Dan Simmon's excellent novel, The Terror, and Brian McClellan's debut Promise of Blood. I enjoyed both, and The Terror is still on my shortlist of best read this year.

#18 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

They've got a thread for this over on SFF world and I think its quite a good idea. Couldn't find one here on malaz so I thought I'd start one off...

'Lies of Locke Lamora' only £0.99 on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co...=I113L7GTT41F1W

#19 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

also 'The Heroes' by Joe Abercrombie £0.99

http://www.amazon.co...bs_362268031_13

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 01 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

#20 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Those are some good ones! Lynch is also on sale in the US store, thanks for the heads up.

Here is the other thread for this. It doesn't see quite enough action, but there are several people posting good deals. http://forum.malazan...27#entry1085827

Share this topic:

• 94 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users