• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cheap/Free Ebooks Thread!

#241 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Frtiz Leiber's Our Lady of Darkness, World Fantasy Award winner, is 3.82$ on Kindle (US only).
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#242 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

The first two books in the Hell Divers series (that Abyss was praising last month) are only $0.99/£0.49 each on Amazon US/UK/CA right now.
Hell Divers: US | UK | CA
Ghosts: US | UK | CA

View Postpat5150, on 05 November 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Frtiz Leiber's Our Lady of Darkness, World Fantasy Award winner, is 3.82$ on Kindle (US only).

It was only $1.99 when I grabbed it on Friday!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#243 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 November 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

The first two books in the Hell Divers series (that Abyss was praising last month) are only $0.99/£0.49 each on Amazon US/UK/CA right now.
Hell Divers: US | UK | CA
Ghosts: US | UK | CA

Gotta say, these are worth a dollar each just for the action scenes.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#244 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

Bunch of freebies from Open Road Media on Amazon US today, including:

Peter Pan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INITQOM
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZE97IJI
Crime and Punishment: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSYJ3P1

Edit: Other freebies I just picked up:

Mark Twain: The Complete Novels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771R6H56
Jane Austen: The Complete Novels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZQG4KF
Anna Karenina: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZPZ9JV

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 06 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#245 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Aren't those books all public domain and thus available for free always on places like Project Gutenberg? The Russian ones being perhaps the exception because the good translations aren't necessarily available free (but I dunno what the good translations of those two books are).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#246 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

That's true, but public domain titles in digital formats are often low in quality edit-wise, as text is produced by volunteers (or sometimes people seeking to make an easy buck on Amazon w/ 99c ebooks of public domain titles). Hopefully with Open Road Media the quality control is tighter than usual.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#247 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

That's fair.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#248 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

View Postworry, on 06 November 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

That's true, but public domain titles in digital formats are often low in quality edit-wise, as text is produced by volunteers (or sometimes people seeking to make an easy buck on Amazon w/ 99c ebooks of public domain titles). Hopefully with Open Road Media the quality control is tighter than usual.

Yeah, most of the Open Road Media public domain stuff is usually $0.99, so I'll grab them when they're free to replace my Project Gutenberg versions. Generally much better quality product, all around.

#249 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince is 2.99$ on Kindle (US only).

The two sequels are also on sale for 5.99$. And Stronghold, the first volume in the second trilogy, is also 2.99$.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#250 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

View Postpat5150, on 07 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

The two sequels are also on sale for 5.99$. And Stronghold, the first volume in the second trilogy, is also 2.99$.

The first Crown of Stars book is also $2.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFXJKCG

#251 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Dammit, always wanted to read this one....can't get it on sale in Canada. Blerg.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 07 November 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

The first Crown of Stars book is also $2.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFXJKCG

Also have always wanted to check out this one....no Canada. Blerg.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#252 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

I was surprised that there was not price match in Canada. When Daw titles usually go on sale, it's usually on both sides of the border. . . :/

#253 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

View Postpat5150, on 08 November 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

I was surprised that there was not price match in Canada. When Daw titles usually go on sale, it's usually on both sides of the border. . . :/

Yeah, sad really. Ah well, I'll keep my eyes peeled at the used bookstores instead.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#254 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 November 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Dammit, always wanted to read this one....can't get it on sale in Canada. Blerg.

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

Yeah, sad really. Ah well, I'll keep my eyes peeled at the used bookstores instead.

Pick a UPS store in the US. Change your Amazon/Kindle account delivery address to it. Delete your Canadian address. Switch your acct to amazon.com/US. Log out. Clear your browser. Make the purchase. Switch it back.
Takes just a few minutes.

#255 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 November 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

Pick a UPS store in the US. Change your Amazon/Kindle account delivery address to it. Delete your Canadian address. Switch your acct to amazon.com/US. Log out. Clear your browser. Make the purchase. Switch it back. Takes just a few minutes.

Not even sure it's that complicated. I just use 2 different email addresses for my US and UK accounts. (Though I did use a proxy whilst setting the UK one up, just in case.) I even have the same credit card tied to both accounts. No having to log out or do any browser shenanigans at all, now.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 08 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

#256 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

Some weird $1.99 Amazon.com deals today:

The second of Frank Herbert's Dune books (Dune Messiah): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011UGNDG
The fourth of Donaldson's Gap Cycle books (Chaos & Order): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SXIEZ0

#257 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Pick a UPS store in the US. Change your Amazon/Kindle account delivery address to it. Delete your Canadian address. Switch your acct to amazon.com/US. Log out. Clear your browser. Make the purchase. Switch it back.

Hrrrrm....sounds shadowy...;)

#258 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

I used my brother-in-law's UK address. That's...a little less shadowy? :)

#259 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

I should clarify that i heard about that from a complete stranger who heard it from another complete stranger at a coffee shop in a foreign jurisdiction who allegedly read it on the Internet.

In Chinese.

Translated from the original Klingon.

In 1997.

The reading, not the translation.

I think.

#260 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

If you missed Tor.com's free giveaway last month, Ruthanna Emrys' WINTER TIDE is only $3 today only: http://amazon.com/dp/B01F20E8OQ

(I finished it the other night, and recommend it.)

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 11 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

Share this topic:

• 96 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users