• You cannot reply to this topic

The Cheap/Free Ebooks Thread!

#221 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

The Martian is also $2.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EMXBDMA/
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#222 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

Katherine Arden's The Bear and the Nightingale is 1.99$ on Kindle. US only.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#223 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists, edited by Adrian Collins, the man who runs Grimdark Magazine, is 0.99$ on Kindle (USA and Canada).
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#224 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

Daniel Polansky's A City Dreaming for $0.99 on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EG7A7GY
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#225 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 October 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Daniel Polansky's A City Dreaming for $0.99 on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EG7A7GY

I see $10.99 on .com and .ca.
This a special offer or coupon or something?

(also, DAMN YOU SMZ!)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#226 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Nope, I click the link and get $0.99 (even logged out in an incognito window.) I wonder if it's setting the price based on your geographical location as reported by your browser/ISP?

Attached File(s)

#227 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 October 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Not familiar with it, but for a buck, why not.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#228 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 October 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Nope, I click the link and get $0.99 (even logged out in an incognito window.) I wonder if it's setting the price based on your geographical location as reported by your browser/ISP?

Comes up $0.99 for me on the US site, but $10.99 on the Canadian one.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#229 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 October 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 October 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Comes up $0.99 for me on the US site, but $10.99 on the Canadian one.

Now they're fucking with me. I see 0.99 on the home page and it flips to $10.99 to second i click on the link.

#230 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 25 October 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Not familiar with it, but for a buck, why not.

Same. I only know of the author, but Delilah S. Dawson was gushing about it on Twitter, so...

#231 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

I've read it. It's definitely weaker than his phenominal Low Town series (and his novella The Builders) but still was enjoyable. I think if one is very familiar with New York City (which I am not) then they would enjoy it more as the city is at the heart of the book. Like Ben Aaronovitch and London, but more so.

#232 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:00 AM

Complained to Amazon. Was given a $10 credit to use. Wtf.Ah well, got it.

#233 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

^ That's good customer service, at least!

Kate Elliott's entire Jaran sequence is available in omnibus for only $2.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GH2G8BA

#234 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

2-for-1 sale up on audible.com. Depending on what you want. the fantasy selection is pretty awesome...

Butcher's ALERA is on there, Staveley's UNHEWN THRONE, Clive Barker's GREAT AND SECRET SHOW 1 and 2 (which are totally fucked up worthwhile in the bestest Barker way if you haven't read them), Ken Liu's DANDELION DYNASTY that a bunch of you have been praising, Sullivan's RIYRIA, Hobb's TAWNY MAN... some solid milsf too, Weber's STARFIRE series (formerly STARS AT WAR, some pretty great fleet vs fleet stuff in there) and Campbell's LOST FLEET BEYOND THE FRONTIER. Fucking NEUROMANCER is on there!

Pro-tip: you can only buy one 2-for-1 set off the sale at a time, but you can keep going back. Annoying, still worthwhile.

Seriously, if you're not an audible member it's a good opportunity to grab the free month, buy a pile of these on the sale and then drop it.

#235 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

The new Humble Bundle has the A Cruel Wind omnibus (Cook's first three Dread Empire novels), among some other promising-looking books, in case anyone's interested. I've been looking for an ebook version of this for years, so totally grabbing it.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#236 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostPuck, on 01 November 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

The new Humble Bundle has the A Cruel Wind omnibus (Cook's first three Dread Empire novels), among some other promising-looking books, in case anyone's interested. I've been looking for an ebook version of this for years, so totally grabbing it.

Lots of great stuff there. I'm sad that the Salyards and Cook are ones that I already own in ebook. (Among others.)

#237 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

Ken Scholes LAMENTATION (1st book in the Psalms of Isaak) is on for $2.99 at Amazon.

I highly recommend the book. The book and the series (which is as yet incomplete, but the final book is coming soon) are a SERIOUS slow burn....but man the ones I've read were great!

Well worth it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#238 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

$10 to buy your SOUL. You can now not be trusted anymore on any Amazon recommendations because your credibility is tainted. Like a greasy finger-smudged photograph of better times, framed in deception. I hope you'll be able to sleep tonight.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#239 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

View PostGorefest, on 02 November 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

$10 to buy your SOUL. You can now not be trusted anymore on any Amazon recommendations because your credibility is tainted. Like a greasy finger-smudged photograph of better times, framed in deception. I hope you'll be able to sleep tonight.

Like a baby. A baby with a near free book.

#240 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

A ton of great stuff for 99p at Amazon UK's daily deals, including Donaldson, Reynolds, Hill, and more: https://www.amazon.c...509689168&ajr=2

Share this topic:

• 96 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users