Malazan Empire: Dresden Files Book 15+ - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dresden Files Book 15+ Wild theories, outlandish speculation, and SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS

#1 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

REPEAT FOR THE SLIGHTLY DIM - SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS TO END OF COLD DAYS IN THIS THREAD!

+++++++++++++++++++++Dresdencrack Logs+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 6 since Cold Days

The Long Night is begun again

Those of us who have had our sweet, sweet fix now begin an interminable wait for fresh Dresden.

So, to while away the time - I propose one thread where we speculate wildly with regard to the course of future books - plots, characters, etc.

Be warned once again - spoilers for ALL BOOKS abound for all ye who enter here.

++++++++++++++++++++++Log Ends++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This post has been edited by Cocoreturns: 05 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

meh. Link was dead :(

#2 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

So to kick things off.....

Balance within the Fae -

we've got Summer and Winter and the unaligned.

The unaligned generally seem to fall under the banner of the Erl-King.

The Erl-King power wise seems to be a match for one of the Ladies i'd say.

HOWEVER.....
something someone mentioned elsewhere with regard to the names Harry uses to call Mother Winter - they're alternate names for one of the Fates.

Who come in threes.

Mother Winter, Mother Summer, where and who's the third?

thoughts? Or am i pissing in the wind?

#3 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Well, the Greek fates had maiden, mother, crone, which seems to correspond fairly exactly to the three Queens of Winter and Summer each. I don't know enough about the Norns to speculate about the correspondences there. But there have been enough clues about the balance between Summer and Winter to think that they equate to the cutter of threads.

I wonder if, like Maeve and Sarissa, Mab and Titania were related before they Ascended?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#4 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

But in the Greek system the Queen would be mother. With the fae, Crone is mother.

Minor niggle I grant you ;)

The Mab/Titania thing is possible I suppose, but i thought it was more an implication that Maeve / Sarissa were actually Mab's daughters.... mind you if that were the case and Maeve/Sarissa are changelings and Mab was human - Who's The Daddy?

Regarding Molly going forward - anyone suspect she might end up going bad?
granted there's a chance that Harry can get out of the knight thing (Kringle/Odin mentioned changing mantles on Halloween), but could a future book have Harry taking Molly's powers in order to save her?

Also - the Kringle/Odin thing - is that all the time or was it a one off deal for that night to help Harry under the radar? (again based on wearing a mask for a single night idea)

#5 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

If butcher keeps to the expections next one is a Nicodemus one with a strong plot around Parasite/Lash/Lashiel situation in Harrys head...I'm certainly hoping for the inevitable Nicodemus and Harry teamup. To me it seems like it could be a glorious book.

This post has been edited by Chance: 29 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

#6 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostChance, on 29 November 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

Most likely the next book is a Nicodemus one with a strong subtone of Lash/Lashiel situation in Harrys head...I'm certainly hoping for the inevitable Nicodemus and Harry teamup.

Am I the only one who thinks Nicodemus is dead? THERE is your crazy theory!
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Unless Butcher changes his mind on what he said already, Nico is very much alive and terrified of Harry, hilariously. He also said that the Erlking is effectively the Summer King (and a dick) and Father Christmas is the Winter King (and a reasonably nice guy) as well.

I reckon 16 will be focusing on the Fomor, and also probably the book where Harry gets unknighted. 17 is when the White Council breaks into factions and the real shit begins the long process of going down. 18 has Lara trying to replicate Lord Raith's antimagic and exploding into something terrible. 19 HARRY FINALLY GETS LAID after being eaten by a giant chicken. 20 is Toot and Lacona's wedding, oh, and the Black Council get fucked. 21? 21 is when the big magic secret gets blown wide open on national TV by Harry, and 22 is humanity arming up for the Gates being breached in 23. 24 is Harry and Murphy going on a date, when the restaurant burns down.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#8 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostChance, on 29 November 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

If butcher keeps to the expections next one is a Nicodemus one

I'm pretty sure he's already confirmed that somewhere. I'm also quite certain that 'the parasite' is Lash, though I dunno how she'd be able to help keep his heart beating.

Well, the Greek fates had maiden, mother, crone,

I don't think they did - Neil Gaiman presents them as such in Sandman iirc, but then he's wrapping them up together with both the Furies and Hecate. I've seen that elsewhere,
Then again, Butcher also hints that they both (and whoever else) has one unifying name/identity, so he might be bringing Hecate into it as well...
I've got the feeling Summer is the weaver aspect of the Greek fates (Clotho) which would leave Lachesis as the other. Now, that name does sound rather... familiar, but I really can't see Lasciel being that character somehow.

I really don't want to see Fix going bad, but I'm fairly certain now that he's going to go a bit mental and go after Maggie. ;)
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Oh, and Mister is going to either be revealed to be supernatural in some way (a vampire cat! the last of the Red Court! a mummified kitty! whatever) or die, before we reach the end trilogy. Cats don't live forever, especially not nonmagical cats.

Unless he gets a job being the new Cat Sith. Mister Cat Sith.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Isn't Cold Days book 14? Or do 14 and 16 mean the same thing now?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

We know 15 is a Denarian book, since Butcher said it was every 5 (so the last book before the end trilogy will also be one, for extra big badda boom) so this thread is for all the ones we know less about.

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 November 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

Well, the Greek fates had maiden, mother, crone,

I don't think they did - Neil Gaiman presents them as such in Sandman iirc, but then he's wrapping them up together with both the Furies and Hecate. I've seen that elsewhere,

Hmm, I may be taking Piers Anthony's depiction in Incarnations of Immortality as the de facto presentation. It makes sense to me, anyway, that Clotho the Spinner would be a young woman, Lachesis the Measurer would be a matron, and Atropos the Unyielding would be a crone. Wikipedia's page on them says they were depicted as three old women, but I wonder if there's some confusion with the Graeae (the three witches with one eye between them).
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

We know 15 is a Denarian book, since Butcher said it was every 5 (so the last book before the end trilogy will also be one, for extra big badda boom) so this thread is for all the ones we know less about.

Ahhh I see. Ok.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#14 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

But feel free to plow in any speculation regarding 15 too tbh.....

personally i think the outsiders we met in Cold Days are the dumb grunts.
There's bound to be a diabolical genius still to appear.

Also, harking back to "the party" - we're still waiting on a return of the dragon.

And who was it GAVE Lea the knife again? my memory is fuzzy. May run a files re-read when i finish my current read.

#15 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 30 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

But feel free to plow in any speculation regarding 15 too tbh.....

personally i think the outsiders we met in Cold Days are the dumb grunts.
There's bound to be a diabolical genius still to appear.

Also, harking back to "the party" - we're still waiting on a return of the dragon.

And who was it GAVE Lea the knife again? my memory is fuzzy. May run a files re-read when i finish my current read.

Mavra iirc.

#16 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

So, pet theory the first:

The Mothers/Fates do indeed have one identity/name that covers all of them, and the reason that Summer reacts so sharply to the possibility of Dresden using it is that it would summon all three and that would be bad as she is in Demonreach.

Added crackpot aspect with no real basis other than it would be cool: among her other identities will be Baba Yaga.

Other thing I noticed on a quick reread of the Gate scene - Rashid got some 'special attentions' from the Fates, probably linked to his eye. With that and the whole shelf-full of plagues, of which at least one - Wormwood- has definite Biblical connotations- I'm getting distinct implications that despite their entanglement and involvement with Faerie, the Mothers are greater and older than that or at least than the Winter/Summer aspect they embody now.

Pet theory the second: Whether Fix goes temporarily antagonistic or not, he will eventually drop the mantle of Summer Knight and become a Knight of the Cross.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 30 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

...Also, harking back to "the party" - we're still waiting on a return of the dragon....

True, tho since then we've learned that Michael killed his mate to Charity iirc.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Pffft...You guys should just read the preview chapters of Book 16...

wait...sorry, not yet.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Oooh, what if Rashid's eye is the Eye of the Graeae? Some myths have their eye as having properties related to seeing distant events, or future events. (This might mean that Rashid only has one tooth, too.)

I also want to see some other pantheons come on screen.
-- Oscar Wilde

#20 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostUse Of Weapons, on 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

I also want to see some other pantheons come on screen.

I wonder if they'll get Aboriginal Australian or African as well. The Dreaming is some profound stuff and the tricksters of the African pantheon can provide a ton of backstabbery. Then there's the raw brutality of the Hindu gods as well. Those are more of a brute force bunch - Kali and Shiva being the biggest hitters.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users