Malazan Empire: Dresden Files Book 15+ - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dresden Files Book 15+ Wild theories, outlandish speculation, and SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS

#21 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Nemesis = Goddess of Vengeance has to be relevant. Outsiders could be similar to the Zerg in the Alera books, but I hope there's more to them than just chaos/order. Could be some misdirection seeing as there's quite a way to go before the end. The Denarians and Hell (which we haven't seen much of yet despite having high ranking angels appear) are more interesting so far. Outsiders as a more primal force and Hell using that threat is a way to get both. Harry being built up as an Outsider slayer has been a strong theme all along, very likely Starborn = Outsider blood somehow. And He Who Walks Besides could be someone we've seen, Mac hinted at a trinity and that it was significant. Molly's going bad for a while, that's been hinted through most books but seeing as Harry likes strong women with some dark side that could be a good thing for his sex life in the end game (Butcher saving that pairing up for last). Since he's almost in with Karrin that makes her life insurance really expensive in my book.

#22 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Oh yeah, more speculation: Since Sells was infected, it's possible that he infected both of the Becketts, and that Helen(?) might try to get Marcone as well, if not some of his employees. And since both Mab and the Gatekeeper agree there is no 100% method for determining infection, even a soulgaze wouldn't be able to show it.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#23 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 01 December 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Oh yeah, more speculation: Since Sells was infected, it's possible that he infected both of the Becketts, and that Helen(?) might try to get Marcone as well, if not some of his employees. And since both Mab and the Gatekeeper agree there is no 100% method for determining infection, even a soulgaze wouldn't be able to show it.

Oooh, nice catch with the Becketts, though I have to say I prefer Helen as she is.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#24 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Random thought: haven't we not seen Mavra since the end of DB when Harry gave her that book? And she's been quiet this whole time? She has to be planning something big.

#25 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 01 December 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Random thought: haven't we not seen Mavra since the end of DB when Harry gave her that book? And she's been quiet this whole time? She has to be planning something big.

Good point!

Could we possibly get the old Black Court under Mavra become resurgent as she resurrects/creates a bunch of vamps to take over in South America to fill the void left by the Red Court......

And will we EVER see the Jade Court?

I'd like to see Butcher's take on the old hopping vampire ;)
meh. Link was dead :(

#26 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

I can't see the Black Court coming back from the blow dealt to them by Stoker, without becoming something unrecognisable as the Black Court. And Mavra...isn't one to embrace change, as far as I can see.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#27 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Im drawing a blank, remind me please, who is Sells and the Becketes and Helen?

Im hoping Molly as the Winter Lady gets interesting. I get it, Dresden has dark thoughts but he never acts on them. His every second thought is seemingly about rape or taking advantage of some women but he never does. It was an awesome part of his character but I feel its being over done now. As Karin herself points out though; molly is now the winter lady and has been crushing on Dresden for a decade. When her own desires and her mantle of power combine I would like to see her try to push the issue. Anything else would seem to go against what we have been told to expect. Also we know she was susceptible to the lure of dark magic, the power of the winter lady has got to be worse. If Dresden does help her get out of it, I would think its going to have to be at least partially against her will.

Is how she helped the svartelves covered in a short story by they way? That was bugging me

#28 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Sells is the heart-exploder from Storm Front, Victor and Helen Beckett are the couple whose kid got shot by Marcone's thugs and became involved in Sells' plot for revenge, and Helen comes back later in the series.

I'm hoping being exposed to these mantle-induced impulses sorts that whole issue right the fuck out, personally.

Molly has a short story coming up in an anthology sometime soon, that'll probably cover it.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#29 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 02 December 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

I'm hoping being exposed to these mantle-induced impulses sorts that whole issue right the fuck out, personally.

Sorts it out in that they get together or that its never brought up again? I cant tell your slant on the issue.

#30 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Where's Mother Winter's walking stick? What happens when she gets it, or is that Mother Summer being silly?

What if there are Wild Fae equivalents to the three queens of Summer and Winter? That way is would be three sets of three instead of two sets of three.

I thought Butcher put a little extra emphasis on Harry's cuff links. Do you think there might be a future reference to them in the future? Do they hold power?

Is Harry's new staff, formed from the oldest oak on Demonreach going to make a more powerful focus or is it just cool?

So, what's in Ebeneezer's journals?

Think Harry might parole someone in Demonreach?

With Harry putting on all these different aspects, I wonder if he'll end up wielding one of the swords? I also know of only two characters who frequently fight with swords, Karrin (seems obvious she needs a calling) and Thomas (is that even possible).
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#31 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 03 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

With Harry putting on all these different aspects, I wonder if he'll end up wielding one of the swords? I also know of only two characters who frequently fight with swords, Karrin (seems obvious she needs a calling) and Thomas (is that even possible).

I was actually kind of surprised to see that Karrin wasn't already one of the Knights of the Cross. Though I guess she basically said that this wasn't the swords' battle. I figure that seeing as the next book is a Denarians book, we'll see what's gonna happen to the swords. I think Murphy is gonna take up Amoracchius, and that we'll meet someone who will take up Fidellachius in the next book. I personally don't think it will be Harry that takes up the sword. He's basically being touted as this age's equivalent of Merlin the original, so I think it's going to be his job to choose who the sword goes to. I think it's also going to be a big point of tension between him and Murphy in the next book, given that she's all 'you can't have the swords you crazy motherfucker' right now.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#32 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

I could see Murph choosing Fidellachius. Fits her character's personality, size, and background a little better. the only question is, does the Murphy clan have roots back to Royalty?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#33 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Butcher was asked about the swords in a 2011 Q&A (mild spoilers)
Spoiler

#34 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 03 December 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I could see Murph choosing Fidellachius. Fits her character's personality, size, and background a little better. the only question is, does the Murphy clan have roots back to Royalty?

View Postvaiski, on 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Okay, so Murphy gets Fidellachius (probably)... I'm personally of the Marcone will get Amorachius camp, but I'm not 100% convinced of that. Still, it would be wicked cool, no?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#35 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostBlend, on 03 December 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 03 December 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

View Postvaiski, on 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Okay, so Murphy gets Fidellachius (probably)... I'm personally of the Marcone will get Amorachius camp, but I'm not 100% convinced of that. Still, it would be wicked cool, no?

:thumbsup:

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostBlend, on 03 December 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

...I was actually kind of surprised to see that Karrin wasn't already one of the Knights of the Cross. ...

Who says she isn't. She's just taking a more selective view of the role than others have, which actually avoids some of the situations Michael ended up in where his sword was in jeapordy or his motives got him in trouble.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#37 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thomas is totally going to get the Sword of Love.

Mother Winter's walking stick is totally the Blackstaff.

The countermeasure Demonreach would have used against the prisoners was called 'banefire', chances are it's going to let Harry channel that at some point too. Harry loves him some prefixfire.

#38 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 04 December 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

The countermeasure Demonreach would have used against the prisoners was called 'banefire', chances are it's going to let Harry channel that at some point too. Harry loves him some prefixfire.

Seeing some Bane-Soul-Fire (with a mix of winter ice) would be so sweet.

This post has been edited by acesn8s: 04 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

#39 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 04 December 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

I don't see Thomas wielding a sword unless he is cured of his demon. That said I see Dresden somehow freeing his brother of his curse as a long foreshadowed if equally distant occurrence. That or he must die.

Interesting idea about the blackstaff!

I read it differently in regards to banefire. The countermeasure was called THE banefire. I took it as a Noun referring to the contingency plan and not as a specific kind of magic. Rather a storage of insane amounts of magical energy that will be released as an all consuming fire and explosion should the prison be breached. Fire specifically because if I recall Fire has a consuming and purifying effect even in regards to magic and magical beings. What we have seen and been told of DemonReach implies that he has in equall measure insanse amounts of power as well as powerlessness. I think we have a lot left to learn.

Crazy idea. Is Cowl and his assistant somehow Dresden and Molly from the future? I just recalled how Cowls magic was said to be tainted similar to how Dresdens was, he is not a practioner of black magic per say (that was highlighted), and it struck me how his relationship with his apprentice mirrors Dresden and Molly. Also while he has been responsible for a lot of questionable events, everything he has done has also led Dresden down a path to a greater mantle of responsibility and power. I know this one is a little out there though.

Lastly it finally occurred to me that Merlin and what we have seen of how he could manipulate time may not necessarily be out of the picture. He could be any character past present or future, or may just pop in for a visit if he has not yet.

#40 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostCause, on 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Lastly it finally occurred to me that Merlin and what we have seen of how he could manipulate time may not necessarily be out of the picture. He could be any character past present or future, or may just pop in for a visit if he has not yet.

He might, for instance, have settled down to run a bar.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users