Malazan Empire: Dresden Files Book 15+ - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dresden Files Book 15+ Wild theories, outlandish speculation, and SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS

#121 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:11 AM

Other than next year some time, nope, we got nothing.
That said, Cinder Spires and Brief Cases are both also expected, and Working for Bigfoot is available already.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#122 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

Now I think about it haven't read any of the side jobs or case files... Be right back!
Last In, First Out

#123 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostMcardle, on 22 November 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Any ETA on Peace talks? I burned through those books pretty quickly and now suffering from Dresdencrack withdrawal... Even though I have been slightly disappointed that we have not seen Dresden come face to face with the white council since his revival, I cant wait!!!

Butcher just said he's finished the manuscript for Cinder Spires, so he'll edit that a bit and then launch into writing Peace Talks. So we will probably get it some time in 2016.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#124 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

He's not up to Sanderson speed, but I can't complain about the rate Butcher churns them out.
meh. Link was dead :(

#125 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Ok, so I'm doing a re-read at the moment, and it just dawned on me that Erl-King is an anagram of Kringle. Coincidence, or is it a nod to the assuming and passing on of mantles over the years. Especially when Kringle shows up with the wild hunt.

The other thing is about Mac. It's annoyed me for so long now, that I've looked up some of the irish mythology pages to see if there is a n obvious character association.
The most likely i feel is Lug (who has many variations of spelling of his name), but has the advantage of being the mythological character that defeated the Fomorians (being part Fomor) and also McAnally as a name has strong associations with Lugaid (the name of several mythological kings of Ireland). He is also the son of a king, and is linked to a magical sword on several occasions too, so could be a prospective Sword-bearer down the line too.

Anyone else have theories, crazy or not.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#126 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

I think with Mac it's got more to do with getting called a Watcher than any other legend, think it's Sharkface or one of the other Outsiders that calls him this - Fallen Angels in mythology!

This post has been edited by champ: 01 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#127 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:26 PM

I am finally all caught up!! Woot.

Damn this series got REALLY good in the last two books.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#128 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 28 February 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Ok, so I'm doing a re-read at the moment, and it just dawned on me that Erl-King is an anagram of Kringle. Coincidence, or is it a nod to the assuming and passing on of mantles over the years. Especially when Kringle shows up with the wild hunt.

Doesn't Harry himself point this out at some point?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#129 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

Maybe he does mention it in Cold Days. I'm doing a speedy reread at the moment, and I'm only about to start Cold Days, which is where he'd be most likely to mention it (especially when Kringle shows up with the Wild Hunt) but I don't remember it specifically from my initial read.

Anybody have any crazy theories they'd like to throw around while we wait for the next book. not sure which thread it was in (possibly this one), but someone mentioned Butcher dropping a nugget at a reading/convention that Dresden violates a different one of the laws of magic in each book. Can that be true? in each book? If so, then we will definitely have a timetravel incident, which is likely to tie into the creation of demonreach's defences.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#130 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Butcher dropping a nugget at a reading/convention that Dresden violates a different one of the laws of magic in each book

Could this be what separates Dresden too? It's mentioned that his mom did something mysterious, that will make him important to the fight against the outsiders right? A wizard can only use magic to do something he believes in correct. So maybe in some fashion he was molded differently.

Who is his mom, did he ever give this away yet??..I mean we know her name, some of what she did by reputation, but it seems like a major thing he should have pinned down by now. His subconscious broaches that this is a important subject. I know.. I know.. he may have gotten busy at some point during the books..but all that downtime right.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 03 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#131 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

Well the question has to be, since Dresden says to Michael (when explaining Molly's magic) that magic usually comes from the mother's side, then who was his Grandmother?
Since Ebeneezer managed to keep his relationship with Margaret on the qt from the White Council (she was "just" an apprentice in their eyes seemingly), then who was her mother?

Could it have been one of the fairy queens. Butcher apparently has said that mother Summer assumed that title in recorded human history. So, could she (or Titania) have hooked up with Ebeneezer?

Also, in Cold Days, when Harry leaves the Cottage, Mother Summer say to forgive Mother Winter being cranky, as he's been that way since she lost her walking stick. Could that be the Blackstaff?

- Anonymous

#132 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

So, uh, Butcher's been posting some hints on Peace Talks on his twitter.

Some mondo huge ones.
DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT SOMETHING POTENTIALLY PRETTY FUCKING BIG SPOILED

Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#133 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

Harry is going to to apeshit if that happens.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#134 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:15 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 16 July 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Some mondo huge ones.
DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT SOMETHING POTENTIALLY PRETTY FUCKING BIG SPOILED

Spoiler

That was probably the best reply to a fan question I've ever seen. Sure beats the hell out of RAFO. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#135 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:17 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 17 July 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 16 July 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Some mondo huge ones.

Spoiler

That was probably the best reply to a fan question I've ever seen. Sure beats the hell out of RAFO. ;)

He's totally playing it.

#136 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

I am in the middle of an epic re-read. Up to Cold Days so far. Had a few things jump out of me tat didn't before. Here we go.

Simon Petrovitch was Justin Dumorne's Mentor. His body I think was never found? Could this be Cowl? Could this be a member of the black council!

Leanansidhe and Maeve have both at one point been infected by Nemesis. Mab we must assume has never been. Then why did Mab not attack the red court for violating her territory. What was the bigger play here?

Who fixed little chicago and saved Harry's life

Just how big of a badass is McCoy. His teachings trace back to the original Merlin and he is regarded as the biggest hitter on the council. The red court was gonna use a curse that was the equivalent of a nuke to get to him.

Is odin himself a god or is it a mantle of its own?

The white court vampires have souls! What is the significance of this? They are quite unique as supernatural baddies go in that they are just humans with extras. Harry could soul gaze Thomas. Can they summon outsiders?

Harry gace Mavra the word of Kemmler. When will this come back to bite him in the ass

#137 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostCause, on 17 May 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Simon Petrovitch was Justin Dumorne's Mentor. His body I think was never found? Could this be Cowl? Could this be a member of the black council!

Plausible but can't think of any evidence one way or the other.

Leanansidhe and Maeve have both at one point been infected by Nemesis. Mab we must assume has never been. Then why did Mab not attack the red court for violating her territory. What was the bigger play here?

Winter stayed neutral. The Red Court pushed their luck but Winter didn't act.

Who fixed little chicago and saved Harry's life

Unknown. Theories abound, most of them involve Harry's mom.

Just how big of a badass is McCoy.

The Biggest.

Is odin himself a god or is it a mantle of its own?

Would say it's him. he's just picked up different/other aspects over the millennia.

The white court vampires have souls! What is the significance of this? They are quite unique as supernatural baddies go in that they are just humans with extras. Harry could soul gaze Thomas. Can they summon outsiders?

Yes they do. See BACKUP re their relationship with outsiders.

Harry gace Mavra the word of Kemmler. When will this come back to bite him in the ass

Unknown, but inevitable.

#138 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

I don't think faeries can stay neutral. They can't ever lie, they can't ever not return a gift or favour. It's my reading of them that they also can't not return an insult.

The erkling likes Harry but he also never retrieves Harry he twists circumstances to allow Harry to escape but he never says okay Harry I forgive you.

Something more was going on with the winter court and red court thing. I suspect man letting the leanansidhe go to town on the red court was part of this issue.

I wish I had kept a notepad nearby during my reread. I'm sure I had other insights

#139 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

In the middle of reading Ghost Story and...

"none of these things had to happen. I mean, I wasn't the only guy in the world who had driven that course of events. I knew that. But I had been the guy who had been standing on the tipping point between possible outcomes with depressing regularity. Could I have done something differently? Was it even possible to know?"

Do we think this is a bit of foreshadowing?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#140 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 18 May 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

In the middle of reading Ghost Story and...

"none of these things had to happen. I mean, I wasn't the only guy in the world who had driven that course of events. I knew that. But I had been the guy who had been standing on the tipping point between possible outcomes with depressing regularity. Could I have done something differently? Was it even possible to know?"

Do we think this is a bit of foreshadowing?

I think book 17 is called Mirror Mirror. In it we will see a Dresden from an alternate universe/dimension who took a different path. This harry took a different path in live and made different choices. I think in particular his life diverges at around book 3. For better or wose

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users