Malazan Empire: The Far Cry Series - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Far Cry Series I want to travel to exotic places and...

#21 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

Alright, this thread has convinced me to put this game in my "to play" pile. Close to the top actually.

Should I play the 2nd since I can get it cheap or just jump into this one?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#22 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

There is no story continuity and FC2 was pretty mediocre with a lot of bad design choices in it, so no, just jump straight into this one. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#23 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 December 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

Alright, this thread has convinced me to put this game in my "to play" pile. Close to the top actually.

Should I play the 2nd since I can get it cheap or just jump into this one?

FC3 is essentially what FC2 should have been gameplay-wise, so it's not necessary. I liked FC2 though, the setting and buddy system were awesome.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I've given myself the goal of locating and retrieving every single chest and relic I can find. After having played maybe 30 hours and barely putting a dent in the amount of chests on the northern part of the island, I am beginning to realise that this is a fools errand. I wont be done with this game for weeks!

#25 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Ha, I have no willpower when it comes to games like this. So after reading this thread, plus a couple of reviews, I went out and got it.

Started playing last night, having a lot of fun with it already. So far it reminds me of a FPS blend of Mercenaries 2, Red Dead, and.. some other stuff.

I only did the first tutorial mission before heading out to explore, to hunt and take some outposts. I was sneaking up on one outpost, armed with my bow, when I heard a weird noise behind me. I turned round to see a tiger strolling past. I crept back, as it hadn't seen me - it stretched, yawned.. then took off into the camp - killing everyone there except a guy who I shot when he ran past me. I even got the stealth bonus.

It reminds me of Mercenaries 2 and RD, as I keep stumbling on random gun fights between other factions, which is entertaining enough, without the animal attacks thrown in.

The hunting is fun, even if the goals are a bit absurd - why would you need a leopard skin to make a bigger wallet than the pigskin one you already own? But hey, it's just a list of challenges.

I haven't even started looking at item or loot maps or anything yet, either. i have couple of relics and memory cards, but do they do anything or are they just there to collect? There seems to be a ton of stuff to do, and loads of different ways to get it done, which is all good imo.

Going back to play in a minute, as I need some sharkskin for a new holster or something. Wish I could turn off the mission reminders in the top corner - too busy for those at the moment, but they keep flashing up anyway.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#26 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I know, and I just love the unpredictably of each situation. I remember doing one outpost where I was able to just pick people off from a distance with the bow. One guy wandered off to take a piss and I lined up the shot once he was out of sight of the others. Aimed for his head so at the very least it would hit his chest and just as I let fly he dipped his head to have a shake and I missed. I had to sprint through the bushes to the other side of the outpost to avoid being spotted. :)<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">In another I was just picking people off from a copse of trees and the only reason I was spotted is because a random patrol drove past an a parallel road and managed to spot me from there. As there was no other decent cover I had to shoot them all with my pistol.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">Also, despite having experienced several of them I still just about have a heart attack whenever I'm attacked by a crocodile. Once I was collecting a relic in a cave with a croc out the front that I didn't see amongst some lillies. Stabbed that thing to death, ventured into the cave where I thankfully spotted another that I picked off with my pistol. Picked up the relic and swum back out where I was ambushed by another crocodile at the entrance! Freaked me the fuck out. :)

Yeah, that is so cool Posted Image It happened a couple of times that I was sneaking around a stronghold and became ambushed myself by a tiger. Didn't want to shoot it, because I didn't want to alarm the guys inside. The animal got me killed then. And today (this one was buggy), I ambushed a stronghold on an island, when a leopard appeared on the beach. I walked back into the water, leopard followed a bit untill it was totally under water. I walked back to it and it appeared to be dead. Which was fitting, being under water, but still... Posted Image

This post has been edited by Avatar: 10 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

#27 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

I don't know why I'd never really used C4 or mines before. Man, I was missing out. They're awesome!

My favourite tactic is making the privateers run into minefields. The funniest moment I've had so far is unsuppressing my sniper rifle, sitting up on a ridge and popping one guy right between the eyes. The rest of his unit saw where the shot came from, and came charging off in that direction to try and find me. Little did they know I'd mined the shit out of the only approach and they all blew themselves to hell charging up to the vantage point. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the fireworks. :) Another time I mined each road leading into the outpost and deliberately made them see me. They sounded the alarm and chased after me. It was incredibly satisfying to hear their reinforcements immediately blown to smithereens as I crept around the bushes avoiding the guards.

At the moment I'm trying to get up close to an outpost and scatter C4 all over the place so I can detonate them one by one from a safe distance. Placing the charges is challenging though as they go off in order and you only have six.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#28 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I 've been trying to get the exp bonus by not alerting anyone in the outpost, so I've not used the noisy stuff yet. Took me a few attempts, but I finally took out an outpost of 8+ guys, without being spotted, just using my bow.
Kept circling it and luring them out, and setting some dogs loose to cause a bit of mayhem. Took a while but great fun. Not sure about the tagging thing though, seeing through walls seems a bit of a cheap trick, so i've turned it off as much as it can be.

Have to try out the mines now I think!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#29 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostTraveller, on 11 December 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

I 've been trying to get the exp bonus by not alerting anyone in the outpost, so I've not used the noisy stuff yet. Took me a few attempts, but I finally took out an outpost of 8+ guys, without being spotted, just using my bow.
Kept circling it and luring them out, and setting some dogs loose to cause a bit of mayhem. Took a while but great fun. Not sure about the tagging thing though, seeing through walls seems a bit of a cheap trick, so i've turned it off as much as it can be.

Yeah I try not to use the camera. It annoys me that it auto-highlights them when I look down my sights. Hopefully a future patch/mod allows you to toggle that option.

By the time you get to the South Island if you've been collecting relics, Lost Letters and doing the quests you may have already maxed out your EXP. I'd come close when I got there, so the experience bump didn't matter for me. Still, it's a lot harder because there's a lot less cover - the South Island is more a series of grassy hills than a jungle. Explosive arrows make it fun though.

Also, I like that I've actually found a way to spend all this extra money I have.

This post has been edited by MTS: 12 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

#30 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I don't know why I'd never really used C4 or mines before. Man, I was missing out. They're awesome!<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">My favourite tactic is making the privateers run into minefields. The funniest moment I've had so far is unsuppressing my sniper rifle, sitting up on a ridge and popping one guy right between the eyes. The rest of his unit saw where the shot came from, and came charging off in that direction to try and find me. Little did they know I'd mined the shit out of the only approach and they all blew themselves to hell charging up to the vantage point. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the fireworks. :) Another time I mined each road leading into the outpost and deliberately made them see me. They sounded the alarm and chased after me. It was incredibly satisfying to hear their reinforcements immediately blown to smithereens as I crept around the bushes avoiding the guards.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">At the moment I'm trying to get up close to an outpost and scatter C4 all over the place so I can detonate them one by one from a safe distance. Placing the charges is challenging though as they go off in order and you only have six.

Nice, I'm going to play now, definitely going to try that.

#31 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostMTS, on 12 December 2012 - 05:03 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 11 December 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yeah I try not to use the camera. It annoys me that it auto-highlights them when I look down my sights. Hopefully a future patch/mod allows you to toggle that option.

By the time you get to the South Island if you've been collecting relics, Lost Letters and doing the quests you may have already maxed out your EXP. I'd come close when I got there, so the experience bump didn't matter for me. Still, it's a lot harder because there's a lot less cover - the South Island is more a series of grassy hills than a jungle. Explosive arrows make it fun though.

Also, I like that I've actually found a way to spend all this extra money I have.

Yeah, it's more for the challenge though - if I can take out the entire outpost undetected, I want to do it. Even if I get right to the last man, and get discovered - I've just got to give it another go.

Just blew up a car with C4, it was quite impressive. Love the way the grass and trees all burn too. I even had a wheel roll past where I was crouching. Got to go blow some people up now, as I've been taking the stealth approach, but maybe its time to get out the Magnum and a big bag of explosives.

(The automatic tagging can be turned off, leaving the camera if you choose to use it. Don't think you can get rid of the mission messages though. Suppose I'd better go and do some!)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

#32 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

It frustrates me that a game that is otherwise fairly well thought-out (the AI can be a bit exceptionally gifted at figuring out where my suppressed sniper shot came from, though) determines that in order to achieve some abstract goal (not sure what it is) they need to imitate every other game on the market and put in a "Heavy" class of enemy who is virtually immune to all weapons (excepting, of course, the good ol' Tanto...that thing is beastly).

I have yet to see a product that is actually, legitimately capable of allowing a man to take, apparently without harm of note, in excess of ten - yes, ten - what I presume are .308 rounds out of a Remington M700 sniper rifle (at less than 200m, I might add) including several to the head (which is only covered by a sort of bomb disposal/welding helmet). That is frankly ridiculous. And not even on the hardest difficulty setting. Never mind that tigers are similarly resistant beyond all reason to most small arms except a recurve bow, this takes the cake. And there is one outpost I've been faffing about with for some time now that has not one, but TWO of these behemoths as guards. FML.

This is almost Groove-thread worthy, honestly. I love this game to pieces (and I especially love my shiny stabby superTanto), but do I honestly need an anti-material rifle or an RPG to take out a PERSON? Was it decided somewhere that in order for the game to be challenging/successful, they HAD to put in something that so defies the realm of logic as to actually make me give exasperated laughter after about the tenth round when this guy was still standing, as I stare dumbfounded at the mightiest of all bad guys? I was pretty happy with my current ammo pouch (second from largest) but the realisation that twenty sniper rounds are easily capable of being wasted on two enemies (who, btw, are making it very hard not to trigger alarms while I'm trying to take them out :() who apparently even get above-average peripheral vision compared to their comrades has really annoyed me.

It's not even the difficulty. It's more annoying than the dogs who you practically cannot run into without losing a health bar or so, because at least that is in some ways partially realistic. This just goes into the territory of "what the hell is that guy wearing, a SPARTAN Mark-IV suit complete with energy shield?", ffs.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#33 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

OK, so either my game was glitching yesterday (entirely possible) or a .45ACP Vector submachinegun is vastly more "powerful" than an M700 sniper rifle. Granted the Vector is firing a huge cartridge but still. I call glitch. Or something is really wacky with the game mechanics.

Oh, and of course the Tanto kills a Heavy in three non-takedown strokes. Because (Japanese) knives are just badass like that. XD

Shinrei said:

#34 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

That's odd, any sort of headshot (even in the front) from the M700 is enough to take out a heavy for me, unless I'm playing on Hard, in which case I have to hit them in the back of the head.

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Any shot with a bow or sniper riffle to the head kills a heavy is my experience. Some times you hit the neck or shoulder though. I think the hit box may be a bit wonky.

Generally speaking heavies aren't that tough. Get close and you can kill them by pumping a couple rounds from the shotgun into them or emptying a magazine from a submachine gun.

My preferred method was to set them on fire.

#36 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Indeed, it seems like it was a glitch in the game. I literally pumped more than ten rounds from the M700 into this guy and it didn't drop him. Granted I was using the suppressor but still. I'll have to find one and try and snipe him again (been avoiding it due to that experience) to test but seeing as other weapons appear to be effective now I assume the sniper rifle will work this time.

Shinrei said:

#37 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I love this:

http://www.pcgamer.c...name=0&ns_fee=0

#38 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I love this:<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);"><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">http://www.pcgamer.c...name=0&ns_fee=0

Yeah, these are good. The one about Mass Effect as well.

#39 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a real thing. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VudlmRglamI

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

I am so stoaked for this game and my pc is still dead. I am seriously considering just buying it for my x-box even though I am a graphics whore.

I amk curious how much of the island you get to play through like this. Is it the entire world redone? Or just a chunk? Did they simply change the skin and AI of every animal and NPC and redesign the bases or does it go deeper? I mean shit, I squeezed every last bit of gameplay out of Farcry 3. If I get to do it all over again with an 80s theme I will lose myself for a week.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users