Malazan Empire: The Far Cry Series - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Far Cry Series I want to travel to exotic places and...

#41 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

Interesting explanation of Far Cry 5 co-op mode.

Far Cry 5 FAQ

When you are a "friend for hire" or guest in someone's game, you help them do missions, but when you go back to your game those missions completed don't apply to your game. You do get to bring personal player progression back to your game - i.e. xp gained, items found/purchased, money and challenges completed.

The host can also turn on friendly fire, which could be interesting to play with it enabled. Or it could just be a shit show and your "buddy" just decides to murder you until you kick him from your game.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 31 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

#42 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

One week! I'm probably going to still wait until reviews come in before I make a decision, but Cheeseburger the bear almost has nudged me to get it on release day.

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

Far Cry 5 is out!

The reviews are as expected. Praise for being pretty and emergent and crazy. Criticism for being more of the same sort of, repetitive content, bad AI, etc. Basically, much like the last 2.

https://www.reddit.c..._review_thread/

Very excited to play this. I'd be playing it already but I think I will wait until I buy a PS4 Pro within the next week or two. My PC wouldn't be able to run it at anything higher than medium with terrible fps. Hopefully on the Pro the experience will be much smoother. Exited to try out this new HDR hype.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 27 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

#44 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Only significant complain I've heard so far (barring the ideological discourse stuff) is that it's TOO busy- as soon as the player stops moving, the game contrived to spawn multiple critters around to "make emergent situations happen", spawn patrols to shoot, etc. Which sometimes goes against player's intent- don't recall if it was eurogamer or PC gamer reviewer who was planning to steal one of 2 parked planes, but then a bunch of animals spawned, and attacked the guards, then a patrol spawned, etc, and when all was said and done, both of those planes ended up too wrecked to fly.

Aside from that, I've read generally positive " more of the same", and other reviews were even more gushing.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

The business is definitely a core complaint. I saw an earlier impressions video where cars just kept arriving and colliding at a scene over and over, while enemies arrived, your attack bear killed everything and it was just a perpetual chaos machine.

#46 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

The story is described as rather bland and lackluster compared to the previous two, with a rather weak villain. That sounds very dissapointing to me.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#47 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

I've never played a Ubisoft game, besides AC1, with a satisfying, well written story... well, The Division was okay'ish.

I feel like, with the exception of the antagonists Vaas and Ming, neither FC3 or 4 had anything particularly interesting going for them. I usually hated the good guy factions more than the bad guys.

I play the Far Cry games for the open world chance to set people on fire and shoot them in the face. Though I wouldn't call Far Cry 4 my favorite game of all time, it might be my go to game for just having fun. I think I've played through most of FC4 four times now.

As such, all I really need from Far Cry 5 is new locations to travel to where I can hoover up collectibles and shoot the shit out of fanatical hill billys.

#48 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

The reviews I've checked out have put it on the line of whether I wait or buy it now. Since God of War is out in about a month, I am going to wait and see how that is reviewed and then make a decision then.

About FC5, I guess the fertile climate in current America didn't quite get its showcase in the story. In other words, I've read that the story is sorta blah. And I guess there are some moments in the game - times you are just having fun in a open world/sand box game and the story have glaring clashes that are sort of off putting.

Also FC5 has removed the towers that have been the staple of open world games to defog the map. So now I guess it has a new mechanic to move you through areas that keep you on track with the main story, as well as side activities to allow you to keep your level appropriate with the story missions to be completed? I'm interested to see how they pull that off or how that works.

I didn't play FC4 (or FC Primal). I really enjoyed FC3 (even with it's flaws). And I loved Blood Dragon for it beautiful homage to the 1980s. So I'm sort of due for another FC experience, but am just going to wait to see how God of War is received.

#49 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

There are no unlocks via towers, no. You can find actual maps that give locations of points of interest. Otherwise, you just stumble on them as you explore, a la, say, Witcher 3.

There are apparently "stashes" now, which involve thibgs like survivalists' bunkers- and these are "puzzles" that replace towers functionally- because paranoid "preppers" often booby-trap them, etc.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#50 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:47 AM

It's so good.

I've only played a little. And the story is very on-point even if it's not great as a story. So many little things in the world are pitch perfect for modern day guns and bibles America.

And the gun play is a lot better than the last two games, the graphics are fucking amazing (even if the game does compensate for the Xbox's lack of power in this regard by aggressively de-spawning corpses and destroyed vehicles.

So far it's gameplay is the best of the series. Don't miss the towers, the crafting, etc. It's streamlined, but in a way that made room for more stuff to be added, not just cutting things out.

Aside from the aforementioned overly aggressive "random events" and the clear limitations of the platform (would be interested to know if this happens on One X or pc too) it's scoring high marks with me. A couple of other nit picks at this stage but nothing actually a problem.

Gonna spend a lot of time playing this game, especially in coop with a friend.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users